Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are Colts fans afraid to say the "T" word ?

ADnum1

The T word ?  Yes TANKING.

That is the best thing for this franchise now.

Lets lose the next 10 games and go into the draft with a top 3 pick and get our QB for the next 10 years.

It does us no good to have 8-9 wins, miss the playoffs and pick around 20.

Then we would have to use picks to trade up to get our QB of the future.

We need to keep all those picks and fix the Oline and get our future QB at 3.

It makes no sense to trade all our picks, not fix the Oline and put our shiny new QB behind this horrible Oline and have him take a beating and turn into the next David Carr.

Sam will do fine, but we all know he's not a franchise QB, so let's go get one.

We only have 10 games left to lose, so lets lose them !!  We need to sacrifice and TAKE THE PAIN !!!

Whos with me ???

Its time to TANK !!!

tank GIF

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They’re trying their hardest, but they keep playing teams that find ways to be worse.  

Seriously though, players want to win and play well.  Their careers are too short.  Coaches and GMs don’t want to lose jobs.  And the team is too good to lose out.  

It’s going to take a bunch of picks, including next years #1 to find a trading partner.  Still don’t think we can get Stroud.  Houston and Detroit will be fighting for him.  Carolina will probably give up the farm too.  

Nope, not for me. So should every team across the NFL that starts badly, just start chucking every game, way to lose your audience. You have to give the lad a chance, not just use and abuse his life and career on a dart throw for next year. Out of interest, who is your guaranteed for the next 10 years shiny new QB that you speak of?

24 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Lets lose the next 10 games and go into the draft with a top 3 pick and get our QB for the next 10 years.

It makes no sense to trade all our picks, not fix the Oline and put our shiny new QB behind this horrible Oline and have him take a beating and turn into the next David Carr.

We only have 10 games left to lose, so lets lose them !!  We need to sacrifice and TAKE THE PAIN !!!

Whos with me ???

Its time to TANK !!!

tank GIF

I wrote it already yesterday in the "Matt Ryan benched" threat:

Taaaaank! 

Either Sam is the man(unlikely) or we loose enough Games to get a top 10 pick (or better top 5)

But pleeeeease do not win enough games to pick at 16 or 17....

Btw....I think this is a Tiger Panzer in your GIF, right? 

The only issue I have with Tanking is if it dosnt work. There's alot of busts that show all the promise just to end up being Jarad Goff. They could also retire at 29. Could you imagine this board if we picked #1, got the qb of the future, and he ended up not being a franchise qb. All I hope for in any game is an entertaining game. Keep them interesting but lose out. I'd be OK with that. 

12 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Nope, not for me. So should every team across the NFL that starts badly, just start chucking every game, way to lose your audience. You have to give the lad a chance, not just use and abuse his life and career on a dart throw for next year. Out of interest, who is your guaranteed for the next 10 years shiny new QB that you speak of?

Play like Dung for Young !

Or Stroud, Hooker, Levi's.

It's a strong QB class

6 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Ibwrote it already yesterday in the "Matt Ryan benched" threat:

Taaaaank! 

Either Sam is the man(unlikely) or we loose enough Games to get a top 10 pick (or better top 5)

But pleeeeease do not win enough games to pick at 16 or 17....

Btw....I think this is a Tiger Panzer in your GIF, right? 

I think you get it !!

It may be a panzer

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u do tank, you better make sure u get the right guy, Luck, and not Tua.

Former coach blew the whistle on owner offering big bucks to throw games. NFL investigated and fined the owner and a draft pick

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We're not tanking or giving up. Frank stated as much in his presser and you could see he meant every word. It wasn't coach-speak. I still believes in this team. We're going to try to win with Sam, and either succeed or fail trying. 

We still need to evaluate the rest of the roster, top to bottom, to decide how to address the roster. And even if Reich is out, who else on the staff needs to be replaced, or is worth trying to keep? 

We're not winning anything this year, that's clear. Our roster isn't good enough, and from the first two weeks of the season it was pretty much clear that the coaching staff couldn't push the right buttons. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to be gained from actually playing the games.

I dont think tanking is a thing that happens in the NFL. Every player and coach is literally playing for their jobs on every play. Its film to add to their resume. However owners can put a team in positions to lose more games. 

In this case Irsay has clearly forced Ballard and Franks hand. Just look at the history of the NFL. The list of 5th, 6th or 7th round Qb's actually doing something in the NFL is extremely small. I mean miniscule.

I love Sam and I really hopes he does well, but the odds are against him. Its not likely we win many more games this year. Its clearly a tactic by Irsay to see what the kid has and at the same time likely to put the team in a better position to take a rookie Qb in a draft that is suppose to be full of good QB's.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

We still need to evaluate the rest of the roster, top to bottom, to decide how to address the roster. And even if Reich is out, who else on the staff needs to be replaced, or is worth trying to keep? 

We're not winning anything this year, that's clear. Our roster isn't good enough, and from the first two weeks of the season it was pretty much clear that the coaching staff couldn't push the right buttons. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to be gained from actually playing the games.

Every single aspect of the team needs to be evaluated. Even Jim needs to look in the mirror and ask himself what kind of team does he want and thinks can win championships. He obviously liked Ballard's initial plan on building a team since he hired him, but that original plan had Luck in it. 

That's what it will all come down to. What kind of team does Jim want? 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Every single aspect of the team needs to be evaluated. Even Jim needs to look in the mirror and ask himself what kind of team does he want and thinks can win championships. He obviously liked Ballard's initial plan on building a team since he hired him, but that original plan had Luck in it. 

That's what it will all come down to. What kind of team does Jim want? 

Jim Irsay has put his thumb on the scale since last season because he's not happy with the way the team is performing. It's obvious. Contrary to the prevailing narrative, Irsay is not a meddling, impetuous owner. He's content to let his people run the football operation. Him getting more involved is telling, it means things are not going well, and it's not a good sign for Ballard and Reich. 

59 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Whos with me ???

Its time to TANK !!!

tank GIF

I’m gonna say this one more time.  Even if we tank and lose all 10, we would still need a HUGE number of teams to win 3 plus games just for us to get into the top 5… there’s 13 teams with worse records than us.  To get just a top 10, we will need 4 of them to loose two less games than we end up because of the tie.

to get top 5,  you will need 9 teams to do that.

now it’s possible, but of those 9, 6 of them of them have 1 or 2 wins, which means they need to win 3-4 games more than us just to break the top 5. 

Not happening

21 minutes ago, jemack said:

Former coach blew the whistle on owner offering big bucks to throw games. NFL investigated and fined the owner and a draft pick

That's right l quoted myself. After reseaching owner was fined for tampering with regards to Brady. Offering Head Coach to throw games to secure a higher draft pick is under investigation as of March. Tanking a season has to come from the top.. I believe Irsay has too much respect for the game.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Jim Irsay has put his thumb on the scale since last season because he's not happy with the way the team is performing. It's obvious. Contrary to the prevailing narrative, Irsay is not a meddling, impetuous owner. He's content to let his people run the football operation. Him getting more involved is telling, it means things are not going well, and it's not a good sign for Ballard and Reich. 

No, no it's most certainly not. That's why I think it's important this next go around he really thinks about what team he wants on the field for the future (I'm sure this is on his mind every day and night to be honest, he loves this team and it's a part of him). 

If, IF he has a new GM, they better come in with a different approach and plan. QB has got to be the #1 priority, quickly followed by a left tackle. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m gonna say this one more time.  Even if we tank and lose all 10, we would still need a HUGE number of teams to win 3 plus games just for us to get into the top 5… there’s 13 teams with worse records than us.  To get just a top 10, we will need 4 of them to loose two less games than we end up because of the tie.

to get top 5,  you will need 9 teams to do that.

now it’s possible, but of those 9, 6 of them of them have 1 or 2 wins, which means they need to win 3-4 games more than us just to break the top 5. 

Not happening

lol so you think if we if we finish 3-13-1 there is still going to be 6-9 teams worse than us??? Your post doesn't make sense when has that ever happened in the history of the NFL. I think 3-13-1 would have us top 5 for sure

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

No, no it's most certainly not. That's why I think it's important this next go around he really thinks about what team he wants on the field for the future (I'm sure this is on his mind every day and night to be honest, he loves this team and it's a part of him). 

If, IF he has a new GM, they better come in with a different approach and plan. QB has got to be the #1 priority, quickly followed by a left tackle. 

I think he's been clear about what he wants on the field. He knows QB is very important, but he also wants a team with some balance that can still win big games when the QB needs some help. And I think that's why he hired Ballard, who came in and immediately got the OL in shape and focused on the trenches. 

My problem with Ballard is ironic. His steady nature played well when problems came up, but his approach is so conservative that he hasn't taken big swings to address those problems. Luck retiring, no panic, but the results haven't been good. AC retiring, no panic, patient approach, bad results. 

And at this point, I think Irsay will evaluate the results, and decide to find new leadership. I like Ballard, I think he did a good job setting the table, but he hasn't done enough to keep up with the competition. 

57 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We're not tanking or giving up. Frank stated as much in his presser and you could see he meant every word. It wasn't coach-speak. I still believes in this team. We're going to try to win with Sam, and either succeed or fail trying. 

I think everyone who watched that press conference knew that Frank was a dead man walking.

You could hear it in the way his voice quivered.

1 hour ago, jemack said:

Just ask the Phins about tanking.

What do the Phins have to do with us ?

32 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I think we will finish around the 15th pick then make some type of trade to get into the top 5

You need those picks to rebuild the Oline.

You can't put our new QB behind this horrid Oline and have him become the next David Carr.

Tanking solves that.  Get a very high first, and get a LT in the second.

Raimann is fine but he's a project thats at least 2 years away.

I thought it was the "Trade" word, but I don't envision, speculate or assume the Colts would tank, like professionals they will play it out or trying to even get into the playoffs.  It hinges on Reich to be more creative on his play calling or give it up.  Otherwise, he's going to see the door hit his rear end on his way out...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Losers tank.

Just identify your QB and move up to get him, then build around him. 

You yourself said we're not going anywhere soon.

Why do we spend years wallowing in mediocrity.  We're too bad to make a deep run in the playoffs and too good to get a good draft pick.

I say let's TEAR THE BANDAID OFF !!

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he's been clear about what he wants on the field. He knows QB is very important, but he also wants a team with some balance that can still win big games when the QB needs some help. And I think that's why he hired Ballard, who came in and immediately got the OL in shape and focused on the trenches. 

My problem with Ballard is ironic. His steady nature played well when problems came up, but his approach is so conservative that he hasn't taken big swings to address those problems. Luck retiring, no panic, but the results haven't been good. AC retiring, no panic, patient approach, bad results. 

And at this point, I think Irsay will evaluate the results, and decide to find new leadership. I like Ballard, I think he did a good job setting the table, but he hasn't done enough to keep up with the competition. 

I like Ballard too. He's a good man, and he's actually a good scouter. He's picked up great players over the years. Somewhere he got lost in the process and maybe stuck to his philosophy a little often. It can be hard to honest with yourself when things aren't working... 

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Play like Dung for Young !

Or Stroud, Hooker, Levi's.

It's a strong QB class

I’m not saying any of them wouldn’t be enticing, but no guarantees.

The 2021 QB class was meant to be strong, how many of them are producing at the level that their franchises were hoping for?…

Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Zach Wilson, New York Jets.

Trey Lance, San Francisco 49ers.

Justin Fields, Chicago Bears.

Mac Jones, New England Patriots.

Davis Mills, Houston Texans.

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

You yourself said we're not going anywhere soon.

Why do we spend years wallowing in mediocrity.  We're too bad to make a deep run in the playoffs and too good to get a good draft pick.

I say let's TEAR THE BANDAID OFF !!

Trying to improve draft position shouldn't be the priority.

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not saying any of them wouldn’t be enticing, but no guarantees.

The 2021 QB class was meant to be strong, how many of them are producing at the level that their franchises were hoping for?…

Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Zach Wilson, New York Jets.

Trey Lance, San Francisco 49ers.

Justin Fields, Chicago Bears.

Mac Jones, New England Patriots.

Davis Mills, Houston Texans.

There are no guarantees to anything in life.

From your list I think Trevor Lawrence will be good.

Anyone else I am not sure of but we have to try.

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

There are no guarantees to anything in life.

From your list I think Trevor Lawrence will be good.

Anyone else I am not sure of but we have to try.

Agree that we have to try too, that for me is to give Sam the best opportunity to show whether he can produce at the highest level on a weekly basis. Some players just excel at a higher level. Let’s give him a chance and see. If he steps up, we can strengthen around him for the future, if not, we know exactly what we need to do going forward. Hopefully it’s not the latter.

Archived