Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FWIW The Colts Offense..

tvturner

Ranks #1 in the NFL

2nd in passing, 5th in rushing

Obviously it's only the first week but I'm not sure any of us expected that.

Leads me to believe that Week 1 is much more of a fluke than what we're going to see the rest of the season

And after watching the game again, I'm more concerned about the LB, S, and play of Braden Smith than I am the receiver room

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Ranks #1 in the NFL

2nd in passing, 5th in rushing

Obviously it's only the first week but I'm not sure any of us expected that.

Leads me to believe that Week 1 is much more of a fluke than what we're going to see the rest of the season

And after watching the game again, I'm more concerned about the LB, S, and play of Braden Smith than I am the receiver room

O is a fluke, at least this year. Had to go catch up, then + yards in OT.

Just need balance earlier. 

IMO Smith will wake up lol. Good G2

WR was good IMO, except Pierce. 

Had issues with personnel utilization O and D. Very meh. 

To go along with:

#10 in total yards allowed

#10 in rushing yards allowed

#16 in pass yards allowed

T-13th in PPG allowed

Top half of league without Shaq. It is Houston, but it is what it is at the moment.

Need to find that defensive yards per carry ranking. 2.8yds per carry has got to be high

@EastStreet

I think our offense will be top 10 this year. That game definitely helped with those offense rankings though.(playing catch up and OT)

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

To go along with:

T-13th in PPG allowed

Top half of league without Shaq. It is Houston, but it is what it is at the moment.

Need to find that defensive yards per carry ranking. 2.8yds per carry has got to be high

@EastStreet

I think our offense will be top 10 this year. That game definitely helped with those offense rankings though.(playing catch up and OT)

IDK right now... still confused...

Houston is horrible, so hard to predict anything. 

D looked bad vs Texan's passing. We made a no-name QB look great again lol.. 

Same bend stuff... 

Doing the PFF/Snaps #s now. I was correct on some trends I saw. And other trends/stuff create even more confusion lol. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

D looked bad vs Texan's passing. We made a no-name QB look great again lol

I actually think Davis Mills is a solid young QB, think he has some potential. Arguably best rookie QB last year(Mac Jones has a case). Brandin Cooks is really solid as well.

Saying that, other than 2 blown coverages on OJ Howard.(looking at you Okereke), think we did a decent job.

Just a lot of boneheadedness,to often, in all phases. (Play calls, situational awareness, penalties)

Ready to move on to next week. Put this tie behind us.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I actually think Davis Mills is a solid young QB, think he has some potential. Arguably best rookie QB last year(Mac Jones has a case). Brandin Cooks is really solid as well.

Saying that, other than 2 blown coverages on OJ Howard.(looking at you Okereke), think we did a decent job.

Just a lot of boneheadedness,to often, in all phases. (Play calls, situational awareness, penalties)

Mills could be solid, but we have the history lol. IDK.. 

IMO, Blackmon and Moore were horrible. Facyson meh.

I'm doing the PFF O, not on the D yet. Need to see the adv stats too. 

I do PFF (normally) Tuesday, and look next game on Wednesday. 

It's incredible how we haven't covered tight ends for 40 years. Remember "Ghost to the post" 1977 overtime playoff loss to the raiders? This is not a new phenomenon. Domann's strong point is coverage, I know he's a rookie but put him out there in 3rd and long, he can't do any worse than what happened Sunday.

I think the offense will be fine once we find the right personnel mix we want to use at WR and guys sharpen up the execution, specifically the dropped passes and fumbled snaps

Blackmon is annoying me with the brain farts he has on the back end. Carryover from 2021.

7 hours ago, w87r said:

To go along with:

T-13th in PPG allowed

@EastStreet

2.8 YPC gets us to tied #3 with the Browns and Pats. Only Raiders and 49'ers ahead of us.

8 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We wouldn’t be mad had pierce and Dulin caught TD passes. 

And that leads back to should we have gotten a proven Wr , it’s gonna be another end of season press conference with Ballard saying oh maybe I should have got a vet at Wr etc…. Cause teams are not gonna keep letting Pittman beat them , and who else do you trust to step up 

This forum is awful.  A place for Frank haters to spew their stuff. 

A dropped TD pass and two drive stalling fumbles, and 1 drive stalling pick.  That's why it was 20-3 and we went into catch up mode. 

NOT because the O wasn't moving the ball.  And definitely NOT because of play calling.  (I need to stop getting the skewed opinions of Frank by reading certain kool-aid posts on this forum.)

1st series.  3 plays, 9 yards, punt

2nd:    9 plays 47 yards.  17 yard pass to Pitt.  45YD Blankenship FG

3rd:     10 plays 66 yards. 20 yard pass to Strachan17 yard JT run.  Missed AP TD.  Stupid Wildcat on 4th and 2.

4th:     6 plays, 66 yards.  28 yd Pass to Pitt13 yard run for JT.  Screen pass intercepted.

5th:     8 plays, 33 yards.  20 yard pass to Pitt.  Sack Fumble negative yardage.  Punt 

End of half   1.  3 and out in 5 series.

6th:  7 plays 33 yards.  9 yard run by JT.  14 yard pass to JT called back by penalty on the $80m pancaker.  Deep pass to Dulin, incomplete.  Ryan fumbles on 3rd and 2.

After a HOU TD...its 20-3.

6 more possessions.  1 more 3 and out.

5 remaining possessions:  11 plays (FG), 7 plays, 4 plays (TD), 7 plays (TD), 7 plays, 13 plays (missed FG)

Good Lord.  The critics of the O have no clue what they are talking about.  But they sure do sell it well.

8 hours ago, w87r said:

To go along with:

T-13th in PPG allowed

@EastStreet

All good things, but this sounds a lot like Frank after the game and "Seeing a lot of good or positive things".  Bottom line it wasn't a win against possibly one of the worst teams in the league.  These stats are just numbers...   Yeah, a tie is better than a loss, my  guess is no other division team is going to Tie the Texans.  Win or go home against the Jags if you want to go to the playoffs...

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This forum is awful.  Frank haters just feeding their narrative...and post things like they know stuff.

Two dropped TD passes and two drive stalling fumbles, and 1 drive stalling pick.  That's why it was 20-3 and we went into catch up mode. 

NOT because the O wasn't moving the ball.  And definitely NOT because of play calling.  (Need to stop getting the skewed opinions of Frank by reading certain posts on this forum.)

3rd:     10 plays 66 yards. 20 yard pass to Strachan17 yard JT run.  Missed AP TD.  Stupid Wildcat on 4th and 2.

4th:     6 plays, 66 yards.  28 yd Pass to Pitt13 yard run for JT.  Screen pass intercepted.

5th:     8 plays, 33 yards.  20 yard pass to Pitt.  Sack Fumble negative yardage.  Punt 

6th:  7 plays 33 yards.  9 yard run by JT.  14 yard pass to JT called back by penalty on the $80m pancaker.  Deep pass to Dulin, incomplete.  Ryan fumbles on 3rd and 2.

5 remaining possessions:  11 plays, 7 play, 4 plays (TD), 7 plays (TD), 7 plays, 13 plays (missed FG)

Good Lord.  The critics of the O have no clue what they are talking about.  But they sure do sell it well.

It's what we in the airborne used to call the Aw Crap : Attaboy Ratio ... 1 AW CRAP wipes out 500 Attaboys.   Human nature?

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This forum is awful.  Frank haters just feeding their narrative...and post things like they know stuff.

A dropped TD pass and two drive stalling fumbles, and 1 drive stalling pick.  That's why it was 20-3 and we went into catch up mode. 

NOT because the O wasn't moving the ball.  And definitely NOT because of play calling.  (I need to stop getting the skewed opinions of Frank by reading certain kool-aid posts on this forum.)

5 remaining possessions:  11 plays, 7 play, 4 plays (TD), 7 plays (TD), 7 plays, 13 plays (missed FG)

Yep he didn’t cause players to drop a pass or fumble. I do think you have to kick the FG when your on the road against a bad team. But those player mistakes were far worse.

4 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

It's what we in the airborne used to call the Aw Crap : Attaboy Ratio ... 1 AW CRAP wipes out 500 Attaboys.   Human nature?

Yes.  And people see things as a hopeful fan.  They see nice chunk plays by the O, then get mad at the play caller because the next 3 aren't as chunky.  Human nature.

The theme has been the same as last year, not finishing in the red zone. We amplified it by shooting ourselves in the foot. We had little to show for all the offensive movement down the field with failed 4th downs and dropped TD catches.

Other than Pittman and TY, who else has caught the ball reliably for us the last year or two? We need to give more reps to Strachan and Campbell and get the most out of them while giving limited snaps to Dulin and Pierce, IMO. Campbell, when he has been healthy, rarely drops the ball (knock on wood :)) and Strachan doesn't seem to be swayed by the bright lights from what I can see.

Any problems with the offense, it is mainly because of the personnel, though play calling has hampered it from time to time but the personnel is the BIGGER problem, IMO.

14 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

All good things, but this sounds a lot like Frank after the game and "Seeing a lot of good or positive things".  Bottom line it wasn't a win against possibly one of the worst teams in the league.  These stats are just numbers...   Yeah, a tie is better than a loss, my  guess is no other division team is going to Tie the Texans.  Win or go home against the Jags if you want to go to the playoffs...

Well, these numbers aren't really stats.  Its the game recap of what actually happened, play by play.  You can see that the Colts made mistakes to stall drives.   They moved the ball all game long.  When they did not make mistakes, they generally scored a FG or a TD.   That's what I see.

The other team is on scholarship too.  There are going to be good plays made by them.  If we don't make the mistakes. .which some were made at bad times...then we win easily.

Frank messed up the goal line play call.  But then again, he has the personnel to run cutsie stuff (Hines, Granson) but not really the power stuff.  JMO.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The theme has been the same as last year, not finishing in the red zone. We amplified it by shooting ourselves in the foot. We had little to show for all the offensive movement down the field with failed 4th downs and dropped TD catches.

Other than Pittman and TY, who else has caught the ball reliably for us the last year or two? We need to give more reps to Strachan and Campbell and get the most out of them while giving limited snaps to Dulin and Pierce, IMO. Campbell, when he has been healthy, rarely drops the ball (knock on wood :)) and Strachan doesn't seem to be swayed by the bright lights from what I can see.

Yep.  We won't win the big games by relying on driving the ball deep into the RZ each possession,  We need to be able to score from 30 yards out once in a while.  The play by play shows the absence of a competent flanker at this point....and IMO, no power personnel to finish those RZ drives if we choose to run for a few needed yards...resulting in cutsie stuff in the RZ.

8 hours ago, w87r said:

To go along with:

T-13th in PPG allowed

@EastStreet

One thing we know about Reich is we will almost always have a top rated offense. All though we didn’t last season there was a point when we were rolling last year where colts were number one in the league in scoring. 

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Any problems with the offense, it is mainly because of the personnel, though play calling has hampered it from time to time but the personnel is the BIGGER problem, IMO.

Reich typically has his team at the top in red zone. Even with Jacoby. When you have a new QB the red zone takes a game ir two. Last year the Miami game was where we figured it out.. It’s the last thing that comes together. Denver was awful in the red zone. So not sure this is true.

12 minutes ago, FanOutOfTown said:

So week 1 is usually a crap shoot. Lot of teams look unprepared especially with the shortened preseason. Offense had some positives, and like I said before if we clean up the mistakes we beat Houston by 14+. Still I’ll take an ugly tie as opposed to a bad loss. Just ask Denver.

Yep. We basically don’t learn anything about the league until week 3 or 4. Notice the two teams that looked the best were Buffalo and KC. Teams that have been together awhile. 

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

5 remaining possessions:  11 plays (FG), 7 plays, 4 plays (TD), 7 plays (TD), 7 plays, 13 plays (missed FG)

This has been an ongoing argument for the last decade... Is it the coaching or is it the  general manager? 

I don't think this argument will ever be settled. 

26 minutes ago, FanOutOfTown said:

So week 1 is usually a crap shoot. Lot of teams look unprepared especially with the shortened preseason. Offense had some positives, and like I said before if we clean up the mistakes we beat Houston by 14+. Still I’ll take an ugly tie as opposed to a bad loss. Just ask Denver.

I agree, a tie is a lot better than a loss. I will keep preaching that. If I am a boxer and get my brains beat in for 12 rounds against someone but come out of it with a draw than I feel like I at least accomplished something. A loss would be devastating in that scenario.

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

This has been an ongoing argument for the last decade... Is it the coaching or is it the  general manager? 

I don't think this argument will ever be settled. 

Its both, and neither.  They are both good, but both have blind spots, IMO.  We do not have the players at the positions needed to win big games or tough games at the end.  There have been several reasons why that hasn't come together.

HOU stayed in the game partly because Hughes, their EDGE player, made two impactful plays in the first half.  Intercepted a screen pass and caused a sack fumble.

Week 1 is bizzaro world in the NFL. 

Greenbay got waxed last year in week 1 and then went on to go 13 - 4. This season there were quite a few upsets and odd final scorelines. If i've learned anything from watching the NFL for the past 20 years, it's that you don't over react to week 1.

The teams made a bunch of self inflicted almost game killing mistakes, and we still came out with a tie, which very very arguably should have been a win (looking at you Hot Rod). Against better competion we get blown out in this game. However.... it is week 1, with a new QB.... AGAIN..... without much playing time together.

There were always bound to be mistakes and a bedding in period. Are we all sour that the game went the way it did.... yes of course, do i expect the team to get better and more consistent moving forward, week by week, yes i do.

It was painful to watch, but that is part of the process.... Hot Rod however does need to be addressed. And by that i mean replaced. Sorry Rod, not dependable.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its both, and neither.  They are both good, but both have blind spots, IMO.  We do not have the players at the positions needed to win big games or tough games at the end.  There have been several reasons why that hasn't come together.

HOU stayed in the game partly because Hughes, their EDGE player, made two impactful plays in the first half.  Intercepted a screen pass and caused a sack fumble.

May I introduce you to Kwitty Paye.... dude had 2 sacks to make the Texans go 3 and out from the first OT drive at the 40 yard line...

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This may be the best post you have ever had in the 7 years I have been here. Can't debate any of it = Way To Go Good Job GIF by Dirty Bandits

3 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Week 1 is bizzaro world in the NFL. 

Greenbay got waxed last year in week 1 and then went on to go 13 - 4. This season there were quite a few upsets and odd final scorelines. If i've learned anything from watching the NFL for the past 20 years, it's that you don't over react to week 1.

The teams made a bunch of self inflicted almost game killing mistakes, and we still came out with a tie, which very very arguably should have been a win (looking at you Hot Rod). Against better competion we get blown out in this game. However.... it is week 1, with a new QB.... AGAIN..... without much playing time together.

There were always bound to be mistakes and a bedding in period. Are we all sour that the game went the way it did.... yes of course, do i expect the team to get better and more consistent moving forward, week by week, yes i do.

It was painful to watch, but that is part of the process.... Hot Rod however does need to be addressed. And by that i mean replaced. Sorry Rod, not dependable.

and we tied, we didn't lose. Some in here are treating this as a loss. Why I have no clue??

2 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

May I introduce you to Kwitty Paye.... dude had 2 sacks to make the Texans go 3 and out from the first OT drive at the 40 yard line...

Yeah, I focused on the O since that was the driver of all of the criticism thus far.  Typical.  I did not look to see how the Colts shut down HOU after mid-3Q.

Good for Paye.  Hope it continues.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I think the offense will be fine once we find the right personnel mix we want to use at WR and guys sharpen up the execution, specifically the dropped passes and fumbled snaps

Blackmon is annoying me with the brain farts he has on the back end. Carryover from 2021.

Blackmon is a SS. Have been saying it for awhile now.

8 hours ago, w87r said:

I’m not sure Oke was supposed to have Howard on either play?   Seemed like a cover for the safety.    That’s who appeared closest to each score to me. 

3 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Probably because we really should have won, despite it all. So it feels more frustrating.

Yep.  a tie against KC can be viewed as a win but a tie against Houston can be viewed as a loss.   It is understandable in my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not sure Oke was supposed to have Howard on either play?   Seemed like a cover for the safety.    That’s who appeared closest to each score to me. 

Maybe not the 1st one, would have to go back and look, but the second one Oke got frozen by the playaction. Then immediately turned and sprinted to where he should of been, way to late.

It wasn't man coverage just his zone.

Edit: safety didn't help much either.

Archived