Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

my concern part III

ruf

ok i'm not one to say i told yall so, but what did we see from the Oline

it seems that Smith was really bad and should move to RG

the rookie was not horrible so maybe put him at RT

I know JT had a ton of yards but it was against the Texans--the Jags DL will destroy our Oline as is.

I would love to be wrong about the jags game but i think with the OL as is we will get beaten badly kind of like last year by them

14 minutes ago, ruf said:

I know JT had a ton of yards but it was against the Texans--the Jags DL will destroy our Oline as is.

I would love to be wrong about the jags game but i think with the OL as is we will get beaten badly kind of like last year by them

I think Rookie is LT of future next to Nelson and we gonna need a new center imo , Pryor/smith Rg/RT or vice versa 

19 minutes ago, ruf said:

So Smith has been our starting RT for roughly 3.5 years.   And in that time he has become the 4th highest paid RT in football.   Now he has one bad game and you come along to say….   “I told you so.”

One game, especially the first game of the season ,  isn’t proof of anything.   But 3.5 years is proof.   And that you ignore while you focus on pre-season and game one.   You think you’re making some insightful point, but you’re not.   You’re entitled to any view you want, but you’re not making a good argument. 

You also claimed our run blocking — especially up the middle — was terrible.   We had nearly 200 yards rushing, most of that was up the middle.   But THAT you ignore while you try to prove your point.   

Sorry, but this is not an effective argument.  At all. 

1 minute ago, jbaron04 said:

I think Rookie is LT of future next to Nelson and we gonna need a new center imo , Pryor/smith Rg/RT or vice versa 

Smith was getting beat at RT so should move to RG he was drafted as a G

Pryor would be an upgrade at RT and Smith would be an upgrade at RG

Printer was getting bull rushed and is a better C than G

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

So Smith has been our starting RT for roughly 3.5 years.   And in that time he has become the 4th highest paid RT on football.   Now he has one bad game and you come along to say….   “I told you so.”

One game, especially the first game of the season isn’t proof of anything.   But 3.5 years is proof.   And that you ignore while you focus on pre-season and game one.   You think you’re making some insightful point, but you’re not.   You’re entitled to any view you want, but you’re not making a good argument. 

You also claimed our run blocking — especially up the middle — was terrible.   We had nearly 200 yards rushing, most of that was up the middle.   But THAT you ignore while you try to prove your point.   

some good points but how many times was it JT no gain or lose of 2 what if that could be eliminated?

I would like to get your thoughts on this after the jags game--if we run the ball on them even if JT gets 100 yards i will say my argument is not good

it does not matter about how much Smith gets paid and what he has done in the past (he would not be paid as much as the other G we have) lol

3 minutes ago, ruf said:

some good points but how many times was it JT no gain or lose of 2 what if that could be eliminated?

I would like to get your thoughts on this after the jags game--if we run the ball on them even if JT gets 100 yards i will say my argument is not good

it does not matter about how much Smith gets paid and what he has done in the past (he would not be paid as much as the other G we have) lol

You've missed my point about Smith's pay.  The point us the Colts view Smith has a high end RT.   Teams don’t panic over one bad game.  

And we don’t have to revisit after week 2 either.  I try to read things on a quarterly basis.   Remember, a year ago our fan base was melting down over our 0-3 start, especially JT who had a slow start.   How did last year end up for Taylor?   The last 3/4  of the season Taylor was sensational.  Teams get better if they’re not hit hard by injury.  Let’s see if the Colts offense doesn’t look better as the season goes on. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

You've missed my point about Smith's pay.  The point us the Colts view Smith has a high end RT.   Teams don’t panic over one bad game.  

And we don’t have to revisit after week 2 either.  I try to read things on a quarterly basis.   Remember, a year ago our fan base was melting down over our 0-3 start, especially JT who had a slow start.   How did last year end up for Taylor?   The last 3/4  of the season Taylor was sensational.  Teams get better if they’re not hit hard by injury.  Let’s see if the Colts offense doesn’t look better as the season goes on. 

the colts may view him as a high end RT but he is not playing like one

maybe at his age now he could be a high end RG

sorry but disagree with the quarterly: do you want to wait 4 or 5 games on our kicking situation and allow him to lose games for us--poor Oline play can do the same thing

9 minutes ago, ruf said:

the colts may view him as a high end RT but he is not playing like one

maybe at his age now he could be a high end RG

sorry but disagree with the quarterly: do you want to wait 4 or 5 games on our kicking situation and allow him to lose games for us--poor Oline play can do the same thing

Look….  You’re free to worry as much as you like.   Smith is a right tackle.   There’s no reason to move him.   Who would play RT if we did?    I don’t see this happening.    Your reaction is that of a worried fan.   That’s not how teams do business, especially this early in the season. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So Smith has been our starting RT for roughly 3.5 years.   And in that time he has become the 4th highest paid RT in football.   Now he has one bad game and you come along to say….   “I told you so.”

One game, especially the first game of the season ,  isn’t proof of anything.   But 3.5 years is proof.   And that you ignore while you focus on pre-season and game one.   You think you’re making some insightful point, but you’re not.   You’re entitled to any view you want, but you’re not making a good argument. 

Smith has actually been struggling for a while in pass pro.  Hasn't been the same since 2020.  He definitely hasn't lived up to that big payday thus far.

Same goes for Ryan Kelly.  He's been off for a while now as well.  I'm definitely not in the minority on those two.

6 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Smith has actually been struggling for a while in pass pro.  Hasn't been the same since 2020.  He definitely hasn't lived up to that big payday thus far.

Same goes for Ryan Kelly.  He's been off for a while now as well.  I'm definitely not in the minority on those two.

I wonder too if it has something to do with the coaching

1 hour ago, Indy87 said:

This oline starts the season slow every year but calm down as the season goes on. I was more impressed with Taylor as he had no preseason and managed to shake the rust off quickly. 

JT longest run was 17 yards he will be on IR if they don't start helping him out some

7 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

My concern is frank is to stubborn, this reminds me of the year we should have IR Vinny but frank kept letting him kick when we all knew he was injured and done costing us games. Blankenship needs to be gonna and draft or sign the top kicker in college next year 

this is so true we could all see how he was kicking just like we can see the Oline. i hope they do something with hot rod after this game if he miss any more kicks and not wait

Colts were surprised/shell-shocked by a young and hungry Texans team playing at home against the Uvalde backdrop.  Week 2 is normally where teams take the biggest step forward.  This week I expect to see the OL come together quite a bit, the WR's get over their jitters, and the secondary wake up.  Sadly, the only way B-Ship performs is on PAT's and FG's under 40 yards.  Frank will pull his head out of 1980's Fourth-Point-of- Contact (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fourth point of contact) and call a good game - he better.

The Jags are coming in off a loss and expect to win at home against the Colts (like always).  I believe they are in for a rude awakening.

To be revisited Sunday evening...

2 hours ago, Indy87 said:

This oline starts the season slow every year but calm down as the season goes on. I was more impressed with Taylor as he had no preseason and managed to shake the rust off quickly. 

The way they came together last season was so beautiful. 30th in the league in pass protection in 2021 and got dominated in a season ending loss to the league's worst team.

9 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

My concern is frank is to stubborn, this reminds me of the year we should have IR Vinny but frank kept letting him kick when we all knew he was injured and done costing us games. Blankenship needs to be gonna and draft or sign the top kicker in college next year 

Or sign a kicker in FA like we did with Vinny.  

1 hour ago, GoHorse1992 said:

Offensive line play around the league this week was not good at all…the lack of starters playing in the preseason leads to rust on these guys. I will wait a few weeks to pass judgement.

we played our starting Oline in preseason more than most teams and it was against the 2nd string D's and they were getting pushed around then. I notice this in preseason and knew that it was going to be a problem for us. I hope i'm wrong but I think unless we make changes now the jags will expose the Oline for what it is

11 hours ago, ruf said:

Im with you.  You are one of the few here is not letting fandom getting in the way of seeing the problems.  

Our o-line had a good first game. Pryor played well, and Kelly was solid. Smith has always gotten beaten by quick rushers and always will. Smith had an excellent run blocking game. His overall pass blocking was his typical average IMO.

I rewatched the game focusing on Pinters every play. Pinter was a rock pass blocking and in the run game. 

As a unit they started executing some really effective cominations.

Dullin did very well in the Pascall roll.

I believe we are going to have one of the best, most consistent, run games.

We had a QB Problem Sunday and he needs to get it together for us to be that good team some were thinking is possible.

I definitely saw some arm strength issues. Ryan has to really step into it for those throws that go very far. And then, his throws are flat (more easily tipped) and a fraction slower getting there. Ryan had 11 passes defended. WOW! 

I don't know how a team can pass for 352 yards and run for 177 yards without at least average line play.  Were there problems - yes.  Do they need to improve - yes.

I will wait for a few games to see how this unit gels before I pass any judgement.  I still think the coaches know more about what our players capabilities are than posters on this board.

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

I don't know how a team can pass for 352 yards and run for 177 yards without at least average line play.  Were there problems - yes.  Do they need to improve - yes.

I will wait for a few games to see how this unit gels before I pass any judgement.  I still think the coaches know more about what our players capabilities are than posters on this board.

i disagree i think we sometimes do know better than the coaches

I can tell you now that Smith should be moved over to RG he would be an upgrade over Pinter and the rookie is coming along who could play RT or the other Kelly could start at RT

what i have seen and heard is that the rookie could be able to fill that need at RT and i do mean it is a need as well as RG

you will wait for a few games to see how they gel

i can tell you that you will see enough by next week

14 minutes ago, ruf said:

i disagree i think we sometimes do know better than the coaches

I can tell you now that Smith should be moved over to RG he would be an upgrade over Pinter and the rookie is coming along who could play RT or the other Kelly could start at RT

what i have seen and heard is that the rookie could be able to fill that need at RT and i do mean it is a need as well as RG

you will wait for a few games to see how they gel

i can tell you that you will see enough by next week

With each post this gets worse for you.  You’re not the first poster in my 10+ years here to publicly say that they know better than the coaches.  But each has been proven wrong.   I’ll never understand how any poster ever thinks they know better, but a small number do. 

Good luck with that……. 

11 hours ago, Indy87 said:

pass protection looked horrible all last year , losing AC  made the line fall apart in pass protection .  smith has looked bad all last year and this week

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With each post this gets worse for you.  You’re not the first poster in my 10+ years here to publicly say that they know better than the coaches.  But each has been proven wrong.   I’ll never understand how any poster ever thinks they know better, but a small number do. 

Good luck with that……. 

i guess i am one of those and i really hope next week this time i get a 100 reply's proving that i was wrong i really hope that i am wrong

53 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

pass protection looked horrible all last year , losing AC  made the line fall apart in pass protection .  smith has looked bad all last year and this week

true statement

Archived