Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Passing Time - Big Q vs. Aaron Donald

compuls1v3

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Double teamed

Man listen. Ive watched football a long time and Quenton Nelson is as good of an interior lineman as I have ever seen. Throw the PFF grades out the window. And yes Ive watched Larry Allen as well, he was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. Q is absolutely on that level. 

I dont care what you think about him. If you think Wyatt Teller is better than him, thats your opinion. But youd have a real hard time finding someone in the NFL who agrees with you on that. Wyatt Teller probably doesnt even agree with you. 

Because Q is a monster and the people who know, know. Im not sure why you spend so much time trying to hate on him, but you look ridiculous every time. If you dont think they should spend a lot of money on a guard thats fine but you dont have to make ridiculous claims to validate that opinion. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching that video, it's pretty asinine how the Colts didn't give the right side more help against Donald.

Not many chips (if any) not much for double teaming (if any). I remember thinking that while watching the game, but didn't think about it until rewatching. 

I mean the Rams figured it out, but not the Colts

On 7/11/2022 at 2:51 PM, Smonroe said:

For all those people who are wondering why you'd ever pay a Guard LT money (I'm talking to you Ryan Grigson), they just need to watch that video.

Let's hope he's healthy this season.

A defense can counter that move by lining the best Dlineman against other Olinemen.  In contrast, Olinemen tend to stay in their positions and don't follow the defender around the LOS.

The video is deceptive as to how it impacted the game.  It doesn't show how many plays the defense simply decided to make the highest paid G an irrelevant thing by lining Donald up against another blocker.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Watching that video, it's pretty asinine how the Colts didn't give the right side more help against Donald.

Not many chips (if any) not much for double teaming (if any). I remember thinking that while watching the game, but didn't think about it until rewatching. 

You mean Wentz was pretty asinine and not the Colts, right?

How do the Colts know where Donald will line up at the time the play is called from the sideline?

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

That is where Wentz needs to change the play to either a run to where Donald isn't lined up, or do a quick pass to and get rid of the ball in 2 seconds. They only beat us by 3 points. Had we had Matt Ryan or Rivers we beat them last year in that 1 particular game. We even had the lead late. Wentz was terrible at reading defenses/adjusting and that was his downfall. Great arm and pretty mobile + and can make plays out of the pocket but his football IQ lacks.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A defense can counter that move by lining the best Dlineman against other Olinemen.  In contrast, Olinemen tend to stay in their positions and don't follow the defender around the LOS.

The video is deceptive as to how it impacted the game.  It doesn't show how many plays the defense simply decided to make the highest paid G an irrelevant thing by lining Donald up against another blocker.

So when they lined Donald up agains another blocker it gives the highest paid G an easier path to bulldoze the defender and give JT a lane.  It also allows him to help out on Donald, as shown in the video.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

So when they lined Donald up agains another blocker it gives the highest paid G an easier path to bulldoze the defender and give JT a lane.  It also allows him to help out on Donald, as shown in the video.

Oh I forgot, Nelson pancakes everybody not named Donald.  The defense would probably line up the big fat guy over Nelson when Donald was over Glow.

And you would still need the QB to change to the proper play, because Frank wouldn't know where Donald would line up at the time he's calling the play into Wentz.   Which is why the all-pro G becomes irrelevant unless you have the proper QB....offenses don't seem to be as nimble in determining matchups along the LOS.   They are more nimble at doing that from the TE and WRs spots, which is why those positions are more important.  

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Oh I forgot, Nelson pancakes everybody not named Donald.  The defense would probably line up the big fat guy over Nelson when Donald was over Glow.

And you would still need the QB to change to the proper play, because Frank wouldn't know where Donald would line up at the time he's calling the play into Wentz.   Which is why the all-pro G becomes irrelevant unless you have the proper QB....offenses don't seem to be as nimble in determining matchups along the LOS.   They are more nimble at doing that from the TE and WRs spots, which is why those positions are more important.  

you make some good point shere, and that's why im happy we have Ryan, he will know how to change protections and audible to get the best out of what we have. 

On 7/15/2022 at 12:10 PM, DougDew said:

I’m not sure what your point is?  Offenses are always better with a good QB, that’s a given.

Are you saying Nelson isn’t needed?  Too expensive for a Guard?  Guard isn’t that important of a position?

I’m just trying to follow your logic.  

On 7/15/2022 at 10:31 AM, DougDew said:

You mean Wentz was pretty asinine and not the Colts, right?

How do the Colts know where Donald will line up at the time the play is called from the sideline?

Sooooo.......you're telling me that NFL coaches can't make a game plan, or move personnel around to compensate for the best Dlineman in the game wherever he lines up? Not even chipping with TE's or RB's? Run plays away from him? 

Sure there could be a few times where Donald's left 1 on 1 (not named Big Q), but not doing anything about it for a half of an entire game seems a little silly. 

3 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

He got smoked by the best DT in our division.  Put that tape on and you won't pay Q 25 mil.  I know I would not.  

No one is even talking about paying Q $25m per.   No one. 

The figure being talked about is roughly $20 mill.   +/-

On 7/18/2022 at 7:40 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Sooooo.......you're telling me that NFL coaches can't make a game plan, or move personnel around to compensate for the best Dlineman in the game wherever he lines up? Not even chipping with TE's or RB's? Run plays away from him? 

Sure there could be a few times where Donald's left 1 on 1 (not named Big Q), but not doing anything about it for a half of an entire game seems a little silly. 

They don't know where Donald will line up on any given play at the time the play is called.  The game plan might be to chip him, but Wentz has to call for the adjustment to the blocking scheme when he sees Donald line up over Glow.   Or Kelly has to change it.  Its too late for Frank to do it. 

58 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They don't know where Donald will line up on any given play at the time the play is called.  The game plan might be to chip him, but Wentz has to call for the adjustment to the blocking scheme when he sees Donald line up over Glow.   Or Kelly has to change it.  Its too late for Frank to do it. 

Thats what Ryan Kelly does already Doug. This is not a problem unique to Donald and the Rams. They already do this every single game on every play. QBs always have checks and certain variables they must process before the play. The best QBs do that better than others and thats usually what makes them better in the first place, which is why Colts fans should be excited about the addition of Matt Ryan. He has shown he excels in this area throughout his career. But what your talking about is already a part of playing those positions.

As far as the blocking discussion, they might go into the game saying simply "if Donald lines up over RG or RT, we are gonna double him every time", which makes it pretty easy to decide what youre gonna do based off where he is, right? They might even prefer that, because Donald absolutely warrants that attention. It also frees up Q to get out to the 2nd level and do what he does best which is pull and get downfield in the run game. In turn, the Rams might use Donald to disrupt that part of our offense and tie Nelson up by forcing him to deal with 99. The Colts might not feel comfortable pulling Q with Donald lined up over him because they cant keep him from shooting that gap and blowing the play up in the backfield. There is a lot more to it than people think.

But none of that makes Quenton Nelson irrelevant, if anything, it displays his relevance. He is never irrelevant in a football game. Whoever we play has to deal with him. He is not your average OG. And he is a tool we can use to gameplan and strategize against our opponent. His performance against Donald illustrates this.

In several of those clips, Donald actually beat him initially and still didnt make the play because Q can recover from things most other lineman just cant. He is so damn athletic for such a big man, its ridiculous. That is his relevance.

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Thats what Ryan Kelly does already Doug. This is not a problem unique to Donald and the Rams. They already do this every single game on every play. QBs always have checks and certain variables they must process before the play. The best QBs do that better than others and thats usually what makes them better in the first place, which is why Colts fans should be excited about the addition of Matt Ryan. He has shown he excels in this area throughout his career. But what your talking about is already a part of playing those positions.

As far as the blocking discussion, they might go into the game saying simply "if Donald lines up over RG or RT, we are gonna double him every time", which makes it pretty easy to decide what youre gonna do based off where he is, right? They might even prefer that, because Donald absolutely warrants that attention. It also frees up Q to get out to the 2nd level and do what he does best which is pull and get downfield in the run game. In turn, the Rams might use Donald to disrupt that part of our offense and tie Nelson up by forcing him to deal with 99. The Colts might not feel comfortable pulling Q with Donald lined up over him because they cant keep him from shooting that gap and blowing the play up in the backfield. There is a lot more to it than people think.

But none of that makes Quenton Nelson irrelevant, if anything, it displays his relevance. He is never irrelevant in a football game. Whoever we play has to deal with him. He is not your average OG. And he is a tool we can use to gameplan and strategize against our opponent. His performance against Donald illustrates this.

In several of those clips, Donald actually beat him initially and still didnt make the play because Q can recover from things most other lineman just cant. He is so damn athletic for such a big man, its ridiculous. That is his relevance.

The presence of Donald and the lack of success against him, or Jeffrey Simmons doesn't make Nelson irrelevant.  Nelson isn't irrelevant if you just look at what he can do.  But having better WRs and TEs is more relevant.  Its better for the defense to have to game plan against an All Pro WR than to game plan against an All Pro G.  It just is.   And there is not enough cap to pay for everything.

48 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The presence of Donald and the lack of success against him, or Jeffrey Simmons doesn't make Nelson irrelevant.  Nelson isn't irrelevant if you just look at what he can do.  But having better WRs and TEs is more relevant.  Its better for the defense to have to game plan against an All Pro WR than to game plan against an All Pro G.  It just is.   And there is not enough cap to pay for everything.

You continue to push this WR is more valuable than OG and stuff.

Thats only true in a vacuum. The TOP WRs are worth more than the top OGs. Not every WRs is worth more than Nelson. Christian Kirk isnt more of an impact player than Quenton Nelson, yet he is gonna make more money in his career. I would be livid if the Colts let Nelson go to give money to Kirk. Livid. Thats what bad teams do. Good teams invest in their great players, team leaders and develop players. Bad teams overpay for marginal players. Kirk very well might ascend into elite status playing with Trevor Lawrence......But we dont have Trevor Lawrence.

Comparing Q to a WR is not fair to him and he should be compared exclusively to other OL. His value is based off that.

I also dont know where you came up with this idea that we cant have Q and a great WR as well. The cap is about to have the top blown off it and we arent investing premium money into a QB right now. I honestly dont see a problem here.

I would only consider letting Q go if we find a true franchise QB. Until then, he should be a priority. I just dont believe you let truly great football players walk unless you have no choice.

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Thats only true in a vacuum. The TOP WRs are worth more than the top OGs. Not every WRs is worth more than Nelson. Christian Kirk isnt more of an impact player than Quenton Nelson, yet he is gonna make more money in his career. I would be livid if the Colts let Nelson go to give money to Kirk. Livid. Thats what bad teams do. Good teams invest in their great players, team leaders and develop players. Bad teams overpay for marginal players. Kirk very well might ascend into elite status playing with Trevor Lawrence......But we dont have Trevor Lawrence.

Comparing Q to a WR is nit fair to him and he should be compared exclusively to other OL. His value is based off that.

I also dont know where you came up with this idea that we cant have Q and a great WR as well. The cap is about to have the top blown off it and we arent investing premium money into a QB right now. I honestly dont see a problem here.

I would only consider letting Q go if we find a true franchise QB. Until then, he should be a priority. I just dont believe you let truly great football players walk unless you have no choice.

Offenses can do more with a WR to create favorable matchups than they can with a G.  You're making this hard for no reason. 

I'm not talking about resigning Nelson.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Offenses can do more with a WR to create favorable matchups than they can with a G.  You're making this hard for no reason. 

I'm not talking about resigning Nelson.

No Im not. 

You are oversimplifying it. Criminally. Youre using "draft talk" to determine Nelsons worth.  Draft talk is used in the context of evaluating unknown commodities, not ALL PRO players. 

Most receivers dont fit your description of the position. And most other OL dont do what Nelson does. So, I like to take it on a case by case basis for that reason. 

On 7/14/2022 at 10:54 PM, Goatface Killah said:

Man listen. Ive watched football a long time and Quenton Nelson is as good of an interior lineman as I have ever seen. Throw the PFF grades out the window. And yes Ive watched Larry Allen as well, he was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. Q is absolutely on that level. 

I dont care what you think about him. If you think Wyatt Teller is better than him, thats your opinion. But youd have a real hard time finding someone in the NFL who agrees with you on that. Wyatt Teller probably doesnt even agree with you. 

Because Q is a monster and the people who know, know. Im not sure why you spend so much time trying to hate on him, but you look ridiculous every time. If you dont think they should spend a lot of money on a guard thats fine but you dont have to make ridiculous claims to validate that opinion. 

I don't really hate on him. Yes , I can go a little over board in trying to make a point. It is more to do with  his position than the man himself. We are about to pay him 20 million a year or so. I would never..ever pay that for a guard. That's just me.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Teller was the guy you lobbied for based on a PFF grade.   And he was just ranked 9th overall.     Actually his teammate, Bitinio, was ranked even higher,  5th.   

Remember this ranking comes from GMs, HCs, scouts, and players.  So this is what the NFL thinks. 

It's an ESPN article. Sorry if I put little faith and/or authenticity in anything written by those folks. They are on the same level as CNN to me.

Using positional value as a way to rate players has always surprised me. I have not been privy to any real NFL player/coach discussions.....but I got a hunch that positional value is not a term they use. It's fan speak. 

GM's work their * off to acquire players who will win games, and help them keep their job. Coaches work their * off to develop every player their GM has acquired,  to help them win games, and to keep their job. That is why my previous signature was a Chris Ballard quote (paraphrased), "You'll never regret paying a great player, I don't give a damn what position it is".

On 7/15/2022 at 8:23 AM, DougDew said:

That’s kind of the point. He’s so good they had to move their best player on someone else.  Point made in my book.

On 7/19/2022 at 1:46 PM, Goatface Killah said:

Comparing Q to a WR is not fair to him and he should be compared exclusively to other OL. His value is based off that.

But wouldn’t you want the best protection for your franchise QB?  

8 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

That’s kind of the point. He’s so good they had to move their best player on someone else.  Point made in my book.

Yeah, but their player can still impact the game like he gets paid to do.   Our G has to block the guy that Chris Reed could block. 

12 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

But wouldn’t you want the best protection for your franchise QB?  

Yes I do.

But I think I would be a little more focused on pass blocking than run blocking and the reason Q is gonna make the kind of money he is gonna make is that he is easily the best run blocker in football. There are comparable pass blockers you could replace him with. And the presence of the top tier QB probably makes up the difference in run blocking when Nelson leaves because youre not gonna face 8 man boxes anymore.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, but their player can still impact the game like he gets paid to do.   Our G has to block the guy that Chris Reed could block. 

But Chris Reed cant block Aaron Donald. So you have a problem no matter where he lines up now and it will free up other guys and he will make an even bigger impact on the game. 

9 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

But Chris Reed cant block Aaron Donald. So you have a problem no matter where he lines up now and it will free up other guys and he will make an even bigger impact on the game. 

Agreed.  That's why a team needs money at its skilled positions to be able to create the mismatch there.  You can double team Donald with Reed/Kelly to slow him down.  If the well-paid QB and WRs know what they are doing, it should have more success than the alternative.... us having ignorant skilled position players and LAR putting Donald to be double teamed by Kelly/Glow.  Nelson pancaking his man won't stop Donald from sacking Wentz if he and the receivers don't know what to do.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  That's why a team needs money at its skilled positions to be able to create the mismatch there.  You can double team Donald with Reed/Kelly to slow him down.  If the well-paid QB and WRs know what they are doing, it should have more success than the alternative.... us having ignorant skilled position players and LAR putting Donald to be double teamed by Kelly/Glow.  Nelson pancaking his man won't stop Donald from sacking Wentz if he and the receivers don't know what to do.

But they also have Jalen Ramsey and he will just shut down your WR.

They also have Leonard Floyd you gonna double him too?

5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

But they also have Jalen Ramsey and he will just shut down your WR.

They also have Leonard Floyd you gonna double him too?

Better teams win.  LAR won the Super Bowl because of better personnel, but yet no All-Pro G. 

I guess we disagree.  I enjoyed the convo.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Better teams win.  LAR won the Super Bowl because of better personnel, but yet no All-Pro G. 

I guess we disagree.  I enjoyed the convo.

Right, but thats just a false equivilency.

Losing Q Nelson doesnt give us Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp and Mathew Stafford.

However losing Q allows us toe tjat

On 7/15/2022 at 8:23 AM, DougDew said:

They did it against Donald. He played against Q and then it was a stalemate. They then moved Donald to Glow and he dominated him. So now u basically have an about to be 20 million player going up against a vastly inferior DT. It just seems like a waste to me. U can pay a corner top money cause he can follow that wr all over the field in an attempt to neutralize him. U can't do that with a guard. Now if Q could go up and down the line, then u maybe able to convince me. However, the rest of the guards need to be able to move along the line. I just think we could invest that about to be 20 million a year 100 million dollar contract in another position. Plus,Q's lingering issues concern me.  To me signing Q to big  money means nothing if we cannot solidify the LT position. We better wait, as we  may need that money next year to sign a LT. That to me is a far more important position.

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They did it against Donald. He played against Q and then it was a stalemate. They then moved Donald to Glow and he dominated him. So now u basically have an about to be 20 million player going up against a vastly inferior DT. It just seems like a waste to me. U can pay a corner top money cause he can follow that wr all over the field in an attempt to neutralize him. U can't do that with a guard. Now if Q could go up and down the line, then u maybe able to convince me. However, the rest of the guards need to be able to move along the line. I just think we could invest that about to be 20 million a year 100 million dollar contract in another position. Plus,Q's lingering issues concern me.  To me signing Q to big  money means nothing if we cannot solidify the LT position. We better wait, as we  may need that money next year to sign a LT. That to me is a far more important position.

But how does not being able to block him at all improve your offense? 

Because if you cant protect you can have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison out there and youre not gonna be able to take advantage of it if you cant block.

If the Bengals had Q they might be SB champs right now. And they spent their offseason improving those interior positions. Why? They have no value right? They did it because Donald exposed the weakness in that game. 

Its one of those positions you dont think is important until you dont have somebody there that can do the job. 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:55 PM, Goatface Killah said:

But how does not being able to block him at all improve your offense? 

Because if you cant protect you can have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison out there and youre not gonna be able to take advantage of it if you cant block.

If the Bengals had Q they might be SB champs right now. And they spent their offseason improving those interior positions. Why? They have no value right? They did it because Donald exposed the weakness in that game. 

Its one of those positions you dont think is important until you dont have somebody there that can do the job. 

Bengals have a putrid Oline so I don't get uour argument. All I have said is that I can live with a good guard and use that money to invest elsewhere.

On 7/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Defenses can scheme around a G.  All of the defensive pieces can do things from different spots, other than maybe a Fatty NT.  A G is stationary.  You get as much impact from him as the D allows you to.  If they want to line em straight up all game long, that's bad coaching.  And playoff caliber defenses don't usually have bad coaching.

Resigning or not involves some different things than just that.  If we sign him to a price that reflects an expectation to dominate a defense, I think that's a misplaced expectation.  Injuries are another matter and hard to gauge.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Defenses can scheme around a G.  All of the defensive pieces can do things from different spots, other than maybe a Fatty NT.  A G is stationary.  You get as much impact from him as the D allows you to.  If they want to line em straight up all game long, that's bad coaching.  And playoff caliber defenses don't usually have bad coaching.

Resigning or not involves some different things than just that.  If we sign him to a price that reflects an expectation to dominate a defense, I think that's a misplaced expectation.  Injuries are another matter and 

Why would they ever scheme around a guard?

He doesnt impact the game, remember?

How do you "scheme around" Q pulling around the edge, obliterating LBs and springing Taylor for long runs? I havent seen anybody who can really stop that in the 4 years he has been here.

15 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Why would they ever scheme around a guard?

He doesnt impact the game, remember?

How do you "scheme around" Q pulling around the edge, obliterating LBs and springing Taylor for long runs? I havent seen anybody who can really stop that in the 4 years he has been here.

I was talking to Moose and you still have to engage me to not let this go?   

They would scheme around a G to sack the QB repeatedly, rendering a superior G useless.  Like LAR just did last season.

He impacts the game when stupid DCs play "line em straight up".  But only impacts plays that need the LG to hold a block for 3 seconds.  IOW, about 20% of the playbook.

Nobody has stopped JT running for long runs when nelson pulls in 4 years?  Lordy, why do we bother to look for a QB and draft WRs?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I was talking to Moose and you still have to engage me to not let this go?   

They would scheme around a G to sack the QB repeatedly, rendering a superior G useless.  Like LAR just did last season.

He impacts the game when stupid DCs play "line em straight up".  But only impacts plays that need the LG to hold a block for 3 seconds.  IOW, about 20% of the playbook.

Nobody has stopped JT running for long runs when nelson pulls in 4 years?  Lordy, why do we bother to look for a QB and draft WRs?

I will post whatever and whenever I want. You dont have to respond to me.

The rest of your post is pretty silly. 

3 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I will post whatever and whenever I want. You dont have to respond to me.

The rest of your post is pretty silly. 

Sure, keep saying the same thing to me no matter who I'm speaking to.  Rude people generally do what they want when they want, which almost the working definition of rude

What's silly is to continue to pretend that smart DCs don't move their best pass rushers around the oline to exploit weaknesses, like when the tape of the LAR game hits you in the face and you still can't figure out that having the best G in the NFL didn't matter.

Why?  Because he's a G, that's why.

Archived