Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Alec Pierce is loving Indianapolis.

Bolt Colt

Why Colts rookie WR Alec Pierce already loves Indianapolis

by: Charlie Clifford

thumbnail_alec-pierce.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS — It did not take long for the Colts 2022 second round draft choice, Alec Pierce, to feel comfortable in his new home.

Later this month, Quarterback Matt Ryan’s first training camp in Indianapolis is headlined by a battle at wide receiver that appears to be wide open behind No. 1 target Michael Pittman Jr.

Ahead of the Colts report date on Tuesday, July 26, Pierce handed the 2016 NFL MVP a major compliment following his first minicamp in Indy.

“He (Ryan) is a great leader,” Pierce said. “He could basically run this offense and this team by himself. He’s that good of a leader. It’s pretty cool to see.”

Starring at the University of Cincinnati, 100 miles southeast of Indianapolis, Pierce spent time during OTAs and minicamp checking out the circle city, and discovered he did not need to ask around for any dinner recommendations.

“It’s cool. I like the town, it reminds me a lot of Cincinnati,” Pierce told News 8. “I have only had one week here to go around a little bit, but I was down on Massachusetts Avenue and saw The Eagle, Bakersfield, and I think they have Tin Roof here too, which are all in Cincinnati. It kind of reminds me of college, so it feels like home.”

In addition to the familiar downtown spots, Pierce left minicamp drawing rave reviews from the Colts coaching staff. Pierce, who graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering in three-and-a-half years, reportedly picked up the Colts playbook at warp speed.

“Alec (Pierce) has looked really good,” Colts Head Coach Frank Reich said. “I mean really good. He’s really acclimated well; it seems like he’s been here a long time. Matt (Ryan) and I were just talking about that today. He just does a couple of things instinctively that are really good signs. I think some of that is Matt and how smart he is and knowing how to use him, but some it is Alec. He’s a smart player – not just smart but instinctive. There is a difference and he looks like he has both of those things.”

Well Alec was touted for being not only physically gifted, but intellectually as well so not surprised he's picked up the playbook. If the colts are indeed contempt with the WR room, I'm really interested to see how 2,3,4 turn out

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As of today,  7/10…..

1.   Pittman

2.  Campbell

3.   Pierce

4.   Dulin

5.   Patmon 

6.   Strachan

I think 4 & 5 could get flipped at some point. 

I dunno man, I'm not saying Dulin is gonna be a key cog or anything, but I wouldnt be shocked if he starts the season as WR3 on the depth chart. I'm sure Pierce will eventually take the 3rd spot and maybe even challenge for WR2 with Campbell, but being an impact rookie WR is no given thing, and Dulin showed what he is capable of in short burts last year. He could fill that Pascal role.

We all want Patmon to get his chance to prove he can do it, and it would be especially awesome if he did because he and Pitt are such close friends, but Patmon is definitely still on the outside looking in for snaps and the opportunity.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As of today,  7/10…..

1.   Pittman

2.  Campbell

3.   Pierce

4.   Dulin

5.   Patmon 

6.   Strachan

I would go: as far as receptions go,

1. Pittman = 90

2. Pierce = 40 which is good for a rookie, but Hines will get 60 IMO that is what some keep forgetting. We are talking WR room though.

3. Campbell = 35 if healthy

4. TY Hilton = 30, laugh at me but I can see this. He will be signed by the end of the month, just a guess, no inside stuff.

5. Dulin = 25 - nice touch

6. Patmon = 10

Mo Allie Cox is a TE and may get 30, Woods at 20, Granson 10, Ryan loves his TE, Taylor is good for 20 as well at RB. Matt Ryan had 375 completions last year so my totals here have him at 370 this year. Remember we are a so-called run first team so Taylor will probably have 300 carries so the 370 completion range is about right because Frank will trust Matt more than Wentz. Wentz had 322 completions last season and Taylor had 330 carries.

Strachan will be on the practice team IMO.

We could get cute and throw Nelson a TD pass on opening day when we just blow Houston off the field The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As of today,  7/10…..

1.   Pittman

2.  Campbell

3.   Pierce

4.   Dulin

5.   Patmon 

6.   Strachan

I think that 2 & 3 also get flipped at some point this season.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As of today,  7/10…..

1.   Pittman

2.  Campbell

3.   Pierce

4.   Dulin

5.   Patmon 

6.   Strachan

i can see Campbell taking over the #1 spot.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I confess…..   I absolutely didn’t see that prediction coming.   Not at all.   Congrats. 

I agree there’s plenty of fluidity among 2-5, I just didn’t see Campbell rising to the top. 

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

If not Campbell, then possibly one of the Highly touted kids if any of them step up like the colts are touting them. Of course, that could all just be smoke for not bringing in highly paid proven receivers.  

We'll see soon enough what are receivers group really is.

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I confess…..   I absolutely didn’t see that prediction coming.   Not at all.   Congrats. 

I agree there’s plenty of fluidity among 2-5, I just didn’t see Campbell rising to the top. 

I only say that for a couple reasons.  

I don't think Pittman is very strong #1 WR.  His fit seems more as a #2.

Campbell has shown flashes in some very limited time.  He is not a rookie, so he could be the burner the Colts need. 

His injuries were very unrelated and if bad luck doesn't hit, he may be in for a good year.  

22 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

Why Colts rookie WR Alec Pierce already loves Indianapolis

by: Charlie Clifford

thumbnail_alec-pierce.jpg

“It’s cool. I like the town, it reminds me a lot of Cincinnati,” Pierce told News 8. “I have only had one week here to go around a little bit, but I was down on Massachusetts Avenue and saw The Eagle, Bakersfield, and I think they have Tin Roof here too, which are all in Cincinnati. It kind of reminds me of college, so it feels like home.”

In addition to the familiar downtown spots, Pierce left minicamp drawing rave reviews from the Colts coaching staff.

It's good that he is happy now, but who know in a couple years.   Typically young men (especially men with money) want to see what is out there that he isn't used to.  Cincinnati to Indianapolis isn't really exploring the world.   

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is a Midwest kid so Indy is a perfect spot. He is close to family Near Chicago and friends in Cinci.

I am from the 2nd farthest state west and now live in Southern California, but went to college in the Midwest. It does have its appeal and can get it's hooks in you. If I wasn't so attached to the lifestyle I can live here, I'd be back in the Midwest. That being said, I can see a young man wanting to spread his wings and venture out of the nest. Lucky for him he can keep a house in Indiana and live anywhere he wants during the off season. 

22 minutes ago, SurfinKal said:

I am from the 2nd farthest state west and now live in Southern California, but went to college in the Midwest. It does have its appeal and can get it's hooks in you. If I wasn't so attached to the lifestyle I can live here, I'd be back in the Midwest. That being said, I can see a young man wanting to spread his wings and venture out of the nest. Lucky for him he can keep a house in Indiana and live anywhere he wants during the off season. 

Well there is nothing stopping him from living where he wants in the off season. It’s just a point how his family and friends should be able to come to all his games. He mentioned in a interviews how much downtown Indy is like cinci.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Campbell has shown flashes in some very limited time.  He is not a rookie, so he could be the burner the Colts need. 

His injuries were very unrelated and if bad luck doesn't hit, he may be in for a good year.  

There is one scenario that could make this happen:

Pittman gets 1200 yards and 10 TD's this year, and then wants to get Paid.  I mean QB money, just like the rest of the WR's in the league.  And if Ballard is unwilling to do that, and Pittman winds up getting shipped, then it's a battle between Campbell and Pierce for #1.

Not saying this will happen.  But I wouldn't be that surprised if it did happen.

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Pittman gets 1200 yards and 10 TD's this year, and then wants to get Paid.  I mean QB money, just like the rest of the WR's in the league.  And if Ballard is unwilling to do that, and Pittman winds up getting shipped, then it's a battle between Campbell and Pierce for #1.

Not saying this will happen.  But I wouldn't be that surprised if it did happen.

I don't think Ballard can fully rely on Campbell at this point. Even if he manages to stay healthy this season, trusting him and Pierce who we haven't even seen take a snap yet and shipping off Pittman isn't the play. That would simply be asking for trouble.

6 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I think that 2 & 3 also get flipped at some point this season.

I think if Campbell doesn't stay healthy and Pierce doesn't develop as quickly as we hope, our passing game is in big trouble.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Like Reggie was more of a #2.

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Campbell is in the last year of his contract. He won’t be back if he doesn’t stay healthy and produce.

1 minute ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Marvin was a absolute beast. Reggie would have definitely been a #1 on almost every other team.

Oh, I agree.   I can see how my post can be confusing.   Wayne wasn't a great #2 because Marvin's help, it's because Marvin was amazing and Reggie was great to have as a #2.  

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

Oh, I agree.   I can see how my post can be confusing.   Wayne wasn't a great #2 because Marvin's help, it's because Marvin was amazing and Reggie was great to have as a #2.  

I understood what you meant. Marvin drew so much coverage basically Reggie was 1 on 1 with their #2. Dallas was also a monster. Mismatch nightmare, too fast for LBs too big for CBs. He always required safety help over to top. Also my favorite all time Colt. :thmup:

10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Campbell is in the last year of his contract. He won’t be back if he doesn’t stay healthy and produce.

Sad really. That kid could be amazing if he just stayed healthy. I hate it but he seems like a could have been at this point. I very much hope I'm wrong though. 

Why do people act like because somebody is from the Midwest then they want to stay there?  Everybody is different.  Some people are home bodies, others are a rolling stone. 

I grew up in Indy and once I was gone 6 months I knew I would never move back.  Where I live now in the west I can enjoy an evening on my back porch without the oppressive humidity, I don't have to fight the flying critters for my dinner, and I can decide to go for a hike in a number of places into the hills and mountains since there is lots of public land.  

Many young people - and many older ones too - also enjoy the larger city life.  I have never been a fan of really large cities but, again, we are all different.  

On the other hand, if you are a young millionaire and you live in Indy rather than LA, Miami, or New York your millions will go a lot farther!  That should be a big factor but I don't know how much that plays in to their decisions.

In the end he is here now so let's watch him grow and enjoy watching the entire receiving crew mature this year.

On 7/10/2022 at 4:17 PM, Bolt Colt said:

“Alec (Pierce) has looked really good,” Colts Head Coach Frank Reich said. “I mean really good. He’s really acclimated well; it seems like he’s been here a long time. Matt (Ryan) and I were just talking about that today. He just does a couple of things instinctively that are really good signs. I think some of that is Matt and how smart he is and knowing how to use him, but some it is Alec. He’s a smart player – not just smart but instinctive. There is a difference and he looks like he has both of those things.”

This is a very strong quote from Frank Reich.  Never know with a young player, as there are more guys who show well in early camps then disappear than there are guys who impact their teams big time year one.  But all that aside this is a great sign at this moment in time and I'll take it.

But that quote tells me there's a good chance they hit on the pick.  I am very hopeful here.

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Mechanical engineering is no joke. He’s definitely got the mind. Can’t wait to see what he can do!

I posted a podcast in another thread on him where a Cincy Bearcat media person said the school tells the student if your going to be an engineer don’t play sports.  The Co-op requirements make it impossible to do both.  He not only did but did it in 3.5 years and finished top in the class.

2 hours ago, Farns01 said:

I posted a podcast in another thread on him where a Cincy Bearcat media person said the school tells the student if your going to be an engineer don’t play sports.  The Co-op requirements make it impossible to do both.  He not only did but did it in 3.5 years and finished top in the class.

Insane. I’ve had friends go through the Purdue program, they said it was one of the toughest things they’ve gone through mentally. 

59 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Insane. I’ve had friends go through the Purdue program, they said it was one of the toughest things they’ve gone through mentally. 

PU is the #4 engineering school in the US, so it's understandable. Doubt Cinci is top 50. Still very impressive for AP, but probably a few tiers down than what a PU student would go through. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

PU is the #4 engineering school in the US, so it's understandable. Doubt Cinci is top 50. Still very impressive for AP, but probably a few tiers down than what a PU student would go through. 

Good context, that’s fair. 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Good context, that’s fair. 

I almost went to PU for engineering, and my best friend back then did. He's a very high IQ guy and it was challenging for him. One year in particular was hell. AP doing it in 3.5 years while playing FB is still very impressive. At least we know he's responsible, smart, and disciplined lol. 

Archived