Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Athletic introducing a narrative podcast series on Andrew Luck

stitches

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is where Luck I think could of benefited from sitting a year and watching how a vet takes care of business. Peyton would never have put up with not being protected. But Luck’s personality and wanting to get hit all the time also contributed to his injuries.

Could be but we still made the right move IMO, Luck's first 3 years were very good to great. We even beat Denver in the 2014 playoffs.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be but we still made the right move IMO, Luck's first 3 years were very good to great. We even beat Denver in the 2014 playoffs.

At that time I don’t think there was a rookie pay scale. So there was no way to keep both. In 2022 with the rookie pay scale I think we could of kept both for a year or maybe even two until Peyton retired. Just don’t know if Peyton would of done that. luck was ready to play so maybe he wouldn’t of done that either.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

At that time I don’t think there was a rookie pay scale. So there was no way to keep both. In 2022 with the rookie pay scale I think we could of kept both for a year or maybe even two until Peyton retired. Just don’t know if Peyton would of done that. luck was ready to play so maybe he wouldn’t of done that either.

It was just time to move on after 2011, like the Pats did after 2019 with Tommy. We were in rebuild mode, a lot of old players, new GM and Coach too. Peyton would have had problems here in 2012. Andrew Luck was great at times and through 2012-2014, I have to be honest I didn't even miss Peyton that is how great Luck was. We won 11 games every year and he always beat the teams he should've beat. He didn't beat the Patriots, news statement = neither did QB's like Big Ben in his prime. Hardly no body did. 

It hurts because we all love Peyton, but at that time it was time to move on. sad homer simpson GIF

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The rookie pay scale went into effect in 2011.   The year before Luck.   That’s the class with Cam Newton as the first overall pick. 

shoulda coulda woulda. 

incredible talent wasted by incompetent leaders. happens more often that you'd think around the league, and it isn't particular to indy and the grigson area. 

37 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I totally agree he's already rode off into the sunset let it go over and out. 

I am listening because Keefer had some good tweets this morning and some fun stuff that we never heard. Like Luck, RGIII, Diddy in a limo together I think before the draft. Apparently Luck really opens up when he gets smashed. lol 

People here fear new information like it’s Kryptonite.   There’s almost no info about Andrew Luck, just plenty of opinion.  Now, some of the blanks will get filled in.   Now, some of the misperceptions can get corrected.  Some questions may get answered.    You’d think fans would think that’s a good thing. 

No idea if this was known before but here are some things that were new for me(or at least I had forgotten):

- Luck told Reich and Ballard and Irsay on the Monday before the retirement. They were planning a press-conference for Sunday and Luck's whole family was supposed to fly to Indy for it. 

- Luck told Jacoby, TY, AC and Ryan Kelly on Thursday and Friday. 

- Luck and the Colts signed his retirement papers before the pre-season game vs the Bears. Feeling is that the leak came from the league offices. After the leak they felt they can't wait for Sunday and did impromptu press-conference that evening. 

- after the 2020 season Q went to Ballard and told him "you need to get Luck back". Ballard never approached the topic with Luck. Feels like if Luck wanted back, he would say so. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

No idea if this was known before but here are some things that were new for me(or at least I had forgotten):

- Luck told Reich and Ballard and Irsay on the Monday before the retirement. They were planning a press-conference for Sunday and Luck's whole family was supposed to fly to Indy for it. 

- Luck and the Colts signed his retirement papers before the pre-season game vs the Bears. Feeling is that the leak came from the league offices. After the leak they felt they can't wait for Sunday and did impromptu press-conference that evening. 

- after the 2020 season Q went to Ballard and told him "you need to get Luck back". Ballard never approached the topic with Luck. Feels like if Luck wanted back, he would say so. 

I had heard a player  told Ballard to go get him back but hadn’t heard who.

The leak coming from league offices makes perfect sense now.

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Brave dude who gave his all. Wicked smart. Proud he was a Colt. I have nothing but high hopes for his future. Still have his jersey. 

Thanks for this.   Classy post.   I’m only sorry yours appears to be the minority view around here.     Oh well……

I still wear Andrew’s jersey from time to time. The further we go from his era, the more I look back fondly of the memories and excitement he brought. 2012 will be one of my favorite seasons for the rest of my life.

As for the podcast? I’m a little interested. If they somehow are able to get some words from Luck himself even better. He doesn’t owe us anything, but it would definitely be interesting, maybe even provide more closure. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And you know all this because…..   how?

It’s all just stories from other people and Keefer didn’t grill anyone. I’ve had private conversations with multiple players, I know the real reason Luck walked away. It won’t be talked about in this series. Andrew was a great competitor, quirky guy and tough as nails. The coaches and front office failed him, if you know all of that, nothing new is coming out of this.

1 hour ago, Patagonia Chris said:

It’s all just stories from other people and Keefer didn’t grill anyone. I’ve had private conversations with multiple players, I know the real reason Luck walked away. It won’t be talked about in this series. Andrew was a great competitor, quirky guy and tough as nails. The coaches and front office failed him, if you know all of that, nothing new is coming out of this.

It’s my view as a member who has been here most every day for the last 10 years that most people here don’t know what you claim to know.   People here have opinions and are not very open to learning anything that doesn’t conform to their viewpoint.   I suspect there’s much that will come out of this.   Whether anyone here is open to any of it is another story. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s my view as a member who has been here most every day for the last 10 years that most people here don’t know what you claim to know.   People here have opinions and are not very open to learning anything that doesn’t conform to their viewpoint.   I suspect there’s much that will come out of this.   Whether anyone here is open to any of it is another story. 

Here’s the thing though, the real reason is ultra-personal and Luck is a very private person. Everyone that was around him knows that as well. No one is going to say anything insightful about the guy that we didn’t already know. It’s just a little fluff piece about the guy.

7 hours ago, Patagonia Chris said:

You don’t know a thing. 

Andrew Luck is a top 50 QB of all-time no matter how anyone wants to slice it. He won't make the Hall of Fame because of longevity. He will be in the ROH though here, just not sure when Irsay will put him in. I think Bob Sanders will be next up for that. Andrew loved the game and competition, loved the hits as funny as that seems. By 2018 he just couldn't stay healthy and once he had a kid it was over just my opinion. He has a ton of money and wants to enjoy life with his kid and wife. My guess is he played the entire 2018 season in pain but still had a great season. 

3 hours ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Here’s the thing though, the real reason is ultra-personal and Luck is a very private person. Everyone that was around him knows that as well. No one is going to say anything insightful about the guy that we didn’t already know. It’s just a little fluff piece about the guy.

I’m a Colts fan of 10 years because I’m a Stanford fan of more than 50 years.   I followed Luck since his senior year of high school.   I think I know him as well as an outsider can, so I understand what you’re saying.    I’m just not sure how much I agree with your perspective. 

Keefer said when he was first approached to do this series he had little interest.   That he thought there wasn’t much to learn.   He now says he was wrong.   That there was plenty.

You say you’re an insider, that you’ve talked to players.   I think your perspective is as an insider with close contacts.   I think you’d be surprised at how little info has gotten out.   Much less than you think.   So I think there’s a good chance that while you may know a lot,  the fan base doesn’t.   This is a rare opportunity to learn much more.   I’d give Keefer the benefit of the doubt.  That’s my perspective. 

3 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

You don’t know a thing. 

I wouldn’t be so quick to judge here…..

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m a Colts fan of 10 years because I’m a Stanford fan of more than 50 years.   I followed Luck since his senior year of high school.   I think I know him as well as an outsider can, so I understand what you’re saying.    I’m just not sure how much I agree with your perspective. 

Keefer said when he was first approached to do this series he had little interest.   That he thought there wasn’t much to learn.   He now says he was wrong.   That there was plenty.

You say you’re an insider, that you’ve talked to players.   I think your perspective is as an insider with close contacts.   I think you’d be surprised at how little info has gotten out.   Much less than you think.   So I think there’s a good chance that while you may know a lot,  the fan base doesn’t.   This is a rare opportunity to learn much more.   I’d give Keefer the benefit of the doubt.  That’s my perspective. 

I wouldn’t be so quick to judge here…..

Thats fair. You’re probably right about the common fan not knowing. I often forget the common fan only knows either what they make up or hear on ESPN. Ultimately, Colts fans shouldn’t be upset about the Luck retirement anymore, imo. The guy made a personal choice. As a football fan and Colts fan, it is disappointing that we no longer get to watch him play, but it was his decision to make. I also think, knowing what I know, it was the correct decision. I’m just not going to waste hours of my life listening to something that is going to be covered in print if anything noteworthy is said. Side note, I think Stanford football is going to be a lot better this year then they are getting credit for. Schedule is kind of tough but I think they have some nice players in a year where I don’t love any team in that conference.

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Based off you not saying why Andrew retired. Spill the beans. 

No. It’s a personal matter, it’s not my story to tell. Would you even believe me if I did tell you? Either way, I’ll never post something that could be damaging to someone to impress some internet stranger.

5 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

No. It’s a personal matter, it’s not my story to tell. Would you even believe me if I did tell you? Either way, I’ll never post something that could be damaging to someone to impress some internet stranger.

Fair enough.

I liked Andrew and listened to the podcast. My big take away is that as smart as this man is, the inability to protect himself from hits is completely crazy. Someone should have given him a routine and professional counseling to address this violent behaviour. (Stanford and David Shaw couldn't figure that out???). Tom Brady has a routine before every game where he head butts with his lineman to get that out of his system. That is all part of kicking in the juice and focus. In the old days players would use ammonia or smelling salts. I could not imagine that Oliver Luck did not counsel his son or give him books to read on the subject. I am imagining that as young as Andrew Luck retired, he maybe the oldest player to return to the game. I know it is a pipe dream.

I gave in and checked it out over the last two days. Very well done. I appreciated the depth and insight it brought.

An open and honest sit down with Luck for the finale would have been incredible. I’d still love to hear the story from his perspective, but I very seriously doubt that’ll ever happen.

I wouldn’t say there were any stunning revelations in it. More an amalgamation of things we’ve heard through the years. The thing that most caught my attention was they signed the retirement paperwork and turned it into the league almost 24 hours before they intended to have the presser. Did they really not expect that to be leaked by someone at the league before they had a chance to announce it as intended? And on a home game day no less. Just seems like a real backwards way of doing things in that situation with 30K+ people coming to sit in the stands that night. 

I still don’t like reliving that time period. The day Peyton was cut I sat on the couch and cried watching him say goodbye, and I still don’t like to think about that. Luck coming along to replace him helped take a lot of that long-term sting out of that ordeal, only to turn around and lose him, too, just when he was about to take his game to an even higher level. The whole saga was like getting in a car crash where you total your vehicle, but get to walk away, then you go home and your dog dies 15 minutes after you get there. 

Ultimately, I think listeners who aren’t Colts fans (and even just casual Colts fans who don’t follow the team with the same reverence that folks like us do,) will take more away from this series than we will/did. They didn’t live the story and all of its details, so they’ll find out a lot of things we’ve known and bandied about for some years now. 

On 7/13/2022 at 1:26 PM, AustexColt said:

I liked Andrew and listened to the podcast. My big take away is that as smart as this man is, the inability to protect himself from hits is completely crazy. Someone should have given him a routine and professional counseling to address this violent behaviour. (Stanford and David Shaw couldn't figure that out???). Tom Brady has a routine before every game where he head butts with his lineman to get that out of his system. That is all part of kicking in the juice and focus. In the old days players would use ammonia or smelling salts. I could not imagine that Oliver Luck did not counsel his son or give him books to read on the subject. I am imagining that as young as Andrew Luck retired, he maybe the oldest player to return to the game. I know it is a pipe dream.

Stanford and Shaw didn’t have any reason to counsel Luck.   The O-line and running game at Stanford were so good he was rarely touched.   I’d ballpark the number of sacks he took at Stanford in his 3-years as a starter at roughly 10 +/- total.    He was barely touched. 

But I agree Luck mishandled his career in the NFL.    Personally, I chalk it up to this….  Luck always felt enormous pressure to make play after play.  No running game, below average O-line and an average defense.   If Luck didn’t make plays the offense would bog down and the Colts would lose.  

19 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's Daniel Jeremiah's scouting report on Luck when he was working for the Ravens: 

FXj0hh9WAAM8K4X?format=png&name=large

Grigson and Pagano drained any joy playing football from him. Shame! SHAME! 

shame-go-t.gif

True, but it is ultimately on Mr. Irsay that he hired those two, especially that Grigson train wreck. Not his finest hour. 

On 7/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, stitches said:

I lost a lot of respect for Adam Schefter after finding out that he broke the news when a press conference was already scheduled for soon after. It was obvious that he'd leaked it without permission but the exact nature and chronology of the events weren't clear.

I just think that's really low to basically blow the entire situation up and make it so much worse for Luck and everyone else involved. It was obviously a tough decision to have to make and Schefter deprived him of the opportunity to share his decision with the fans for the sake of a few likes.

The podcast itself is great! I binged all six episodes in a day and enjoyed it. It's nothing crazy but it's an interesting listen and pretty well produced. I'd recommend it.

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

I lost a lot of respect for Adam Schefter after finding out that he broke the news when a press conference was already scheduled for soon after. It was obvious that he'd leaked it without permission but the exact nature and chronology of the events weren't clear.

I just think that's really low to basically blow the entire situation up and make it so much worse for Luck and everyone else involved. It was obviously a tough decision to have to make and Schefter deprived him of the opportunity to share his decision with the fans for the sake of a few likes.

The podcast itself is great! I binged all six episodes in a day and enjoyed it. It's nothing crazy but it's an interesting listen and pretty well produced. I'd recommend it.

I think you’re operating on old outdated info.   Shefter was at a wedding that day.   It was a day off for him.  He says he had no idea the Colts were even playing that day.   He got a tip, and posted it.   That’s the only story I’ve ever heard from Shefter. 

Archived