Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Athletic introducing a narrative podcast series on Andrew Luck

stitches

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

People's angst over this is amazing. He's a wicked smart man, who played football like a linebacker. Gave his all, had an epiphany, and retired.

End of story. 

The only time I will care to read or listen about him is when he does a intreview himself and talks about it. That I might listen too. But I don’t care about coaches ect talking about him.

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The only time I will care to read or listen about him is when he does a intreview himself and talks about it. That I might listen too. But I don’t care about coaches ect talking about him.

That's OK, others would like to hear that podcast with some fresh interviews and perspectives. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I wouldn't watch this then if I were you. 

16 hours ago, stitches said:

For those who can handle the pain... it seems like it will debut on the 11th of July. 

I still don't know if I can go through it, but I will probably end up listening to it :dunno:

Maybe I’m a bit of a masochist but I will definitely watch/listen.  It’s a classic tragedy.  I expect it to be celebratory in the beginning and of course end in despair. 

18 hours ago, stitches said:

For those who can handle the pain... it seems like it will debut on the 11th of July. 

I still don't know if I can go through it, but I will probably end up listening to it :dunno:

I was more sad than angry when Andrew quit. I don't think we can learn anything from bringing this back up, so I'll pass on the podcast.

The way Andrew retired rubs many the wrong way - the timing of it. It rubbed me the wrong way. Yeah he quit, no sugar coating it. The guy was beat up and injured. He set the team back for a few years but I think we are back now in 2022 as far as having a good all around roster with a QB that is competent and is top 25 of all-time. If we stay healthy as a team I can't see no way we don't win 11 or 12 games. It took Ballard and Irsay a few years but I think we nailed it this offseason. We got lucky to get Ryan though, that was the best case scenario after Wilson and Rodgers were off the board. Baker, Mariotta, Trubisky, or a QB drafted would've been a disaster. 

Regarding Luck, there have been thousands of QB's in NFL history, I do lists all the time and have studied at least a 1000+ QB's (yeah I am football nerd), and I have Luck in my top 50 of all-time, around 50 actually. He doesn't have the longevity but based on eye test, Talent, having 4 very good to great seasons statistically, his W/L record = 53-33, and 4 playoff wins, he is top 50. Fun fact, Luck has as many playoff wins as Rivers has (4) and Rivers is a Hall of Famer IMO and top 25. Rivers gets credited for 5 because he started vs us in 2007, but it was really Billy Volek that beat us in 2007.

No interest here.

I feel like Andrew put the Colts in an impossible situation - both in the short term AND long term - with his "last minute" retirement decision.

He was free to retire when he wanted - BUT - he should have notified the Colts long long LONG before he did.

Best wishes to Andrew in this next phase of his life - but - I have no interest in anything about him at this point.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:10 AM, sb41champs said:

No interest here.

I feel like Andrew put the Colts in an impossible situation - both in the short term AND long term - with his "last minute" retirement decision.

He was free to retire when he wanted - BUT - he should have notified the Colts long long LONG before he did.

Best wishes to Andrew in this next phase of his life - but - I have no interest in anything about him at this point.

How do you know Andrew didn’t notify the Colts much longer than you know?    

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How do you know Andrew didn’t notify the Colts much longer than you know?    

He notified them of his retirement the day that his "press conference" was held.  

The initial plan was for him to have his parents in Indianapolis the following day and have a formal "press conference". 

Unfortunately - word leaked out during the Colts pre-season game and the crowd reacted very loud and negatively - which was to be expected.  

Therefore - the Colts tossed together and informal "press conference" for the announcement.

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

He notified them of his retirement the day that his "press conference" was held.  

The initial plan was for him to have his parents in Indianapolis the following day and have a formal "press conference". 

Unfortunately - word leaked out during the Colts pre-season game and the crowd reacted very loud and negatively - which was to be expected.  

Therefore - the Colts tossed together and informal "press conference" for the announcement.

They definitely knew before that day.

10 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Im sorry I’m responding a little late….   But I took the time to re-view the 25 minute Luck press conference, and the 25 minute conference from Irsay, Ballard and Reich.   

Luck says his final decision was made roughly 10-14 days before the announcement, and the execs say they knew 7-10 days ahead and the week leading up to the game was filled with almost daily conversations.  I don’t know where you got that the front office found out “that day.”    I’ve never seen that claim made by anyone else here, and there’s been plenty of mis-information put out there about Luck. 

Also….  Luck didn’t participate in any team activities the entire off-season.   Zero in the Spring.   Zero in training camp.  At the presser Ballard talked about the strange off-season saying Luck ended the 2018 season feeling pretty good, then something happened at the Pro Bowl that no one could pin down.  Ankle sprain?   High ankle sprain? Shin?    No one knew.   So the team knew something was up.  

Ultimately, Luck did a bad job at his press conference explaining things, and the media did a poor job of getting enough details to write a good story so people could understand. 

But I’d add, that no one in the Colts seems angry with Luck.   Not Irsay, or Ballard, or Reich, or players.   No one.    Yet people here think Luck screwed the team.   A guy driven to do the right thing all his life, and yet fans here are convinced he did the wrong thing.   I confess that disappoints me.   It’s as if people never learned anything about Andrew Luck beyond his wins and losses.  I find that sad….

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But I took the time to re-view the 25 minute Luck press conference, and the 25 minute conference from Irsay, Ballard and Reich.   

Yikes. I can't imagine watching all that again. That was a rough evening for me.

It's a complicated, touchy issue. I dislike how some people talk about Andrew Luck after that. I understand people being upset with him, the way he handled things, etc. I don't agree with people treating him badly. 

On 6/29/2022 at 11:22 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The way Andrew retired rubs many the wrong way - the timing of it. It rubbed me the wrong way. Yeah he quit, no sugar coating it. The guy was beat up and injured. He set the team back for a few years but I think we are back now in 2022 as far as having a good all around roster with a QB that is competent and is top 25 of all-time. If we stay healthy as a team I can't see no way we don't win 11 or 12 games. It took Ballard and Irsay a few years but I think we nailed it this offseason. We got lucky to get Ryan though, that was the best case scenario after Wilson and Rodgers were off the board. Baker, Mariotta, Trubisky, or a QB drafted would've been a disaster. 

Regarding Luck, there have been thousands of QB's in NFL history, I do lists all the time and have studied at least a 1000+ QB's (yeah I am football nerd), and I have Luck in my top 50 of all-time, around 50 actually. He doesn't have the longevity but based on eye test, Talent, having 4 very good to great seasons statistically, his W/L record = 53-33, and 4 playoff wins, he is top 50. Fun fact, Luck has as many playoff wins as Rivers has (4) and Rivers is a Hall of Famer IMO and top 25. Rivers gets credited for 5 because he started vs us in 2007, but it was really Billy Volek that beat us in 2007.

I will save the time of typing out a long post. So I will just quote myself. All of the above as I posted. I wish Andrew the best, I have no hate toward the guy. He did what he felt was best for him and his family. Just disappointing because he really could've became a top 10 QB of all-time IMO. I have Mahomes in my top 15 already, at #15 on my top 50 and Luck could've been just as great. Mahomes has been to 4 straight AFC Title Games, KC has won the division every year he has started, he has been to 2 SB's, won 1 SB, and had a season where he threw for 5,000 yards and 50 TD's and won League MVP. He also has a SB MVP in 2019. Luck had that in him IMO but never reached that greatness. Luck is still top 50 but we will never know what really could've been??

If I find a day when there is literally nothing to do, I'll listen. The night Luck retired, I drank... a lot of alcohol. I was so depressed. Hope the best for Luck, and of course I miss him, but it's over. Let the man enjoy his life. Move on from football and that night.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im sorry I’m responding a little late….   But I took the time to re-view the 25 minute Luck press conference, and the 25 minute conference from Irsay, Ballard and Reich.   

Luck says his final decision was made roughly 10-14 days before the announcement, and the execs say they knew 7-10 days ahead and the week leading up to the game was filled with almost daily conversations.  I don’t know where you got that the front office found out “that day.”    I’ve never seen that claim made by anyone else here, and there’s been plenty of mis-information put out there about Luck. 

Also….  Luck didn’t participate in any team activities the entire off-season.   Zero in the Spring.   Zero in training camp.  At the presser Ballard talked about the strange off-season saying Luck ended the 2018 season feeling pretty good, then something happened at the Pro Bowl that no one could pin down.  Ankle sprain?   High ankle sprain? Shin?    No one knew.   So the team knew something was up.  

Ultimately, Luck did a bad job at his press conference explaining things, and the media did a poor job of getting enough details to write a good story so people could understand. 

But I’d add, that no one in the Colts seems angry with Luck.   Not Irsay, or Ballard, or Reich, or players.   No one.    Yet people here think Luck screwed the team.   A guy driven to do the right thing all his life, and yet fans here are convinced he did the wrong thing.   I confess that disappoints me.   It’s as if people never learned anything about Andrew Luck beyond his wins and losses.  I find that sad….

I stand corrected on some of the details.

However - I still feel that he should have provided enough notice for the Colts to find a replacement before the "official" retirement announcement.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

2nd greatest QB ever to play here (3rd if you count Unitas = Baltimore days, Rivers was only here for 1 year), sad really how it ended. I hope Matt Ryan can take us to the promise land, I think he can but to win a SB takes a lot of LUCK - season 3 laughing GIF- only 1 team does that. I still have my bet in that we make the AFC Title Game with Matt at 9-1 odds. $200 on it to win $1800. It is now down 7-1 that the Colts make it that far because many believe we will win the division. 

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Luck was his own greatest enemy.

After all his injuries he just said the hell with it. His greatest enemy was our FO and coaching trying to ride a 1 man train. Average O.Line at best if not bad at times and no running game. Now he knows what David Carr went through, not fun. Had we had Ballard here with Frank from the beginning, we would be talking dynasty. I remember Luck stuttering a lot during post game conferences, my dad even pointed that out to me saying he has taken too many shots to the head. He told me son your guy is done and he told me back in 2016 he won't last. I was in denial but he was right. I did have some great moments in 2018 though. Luck in reality was never 100% in 2018, but 80% of him was better than most. That is why he is top 50 of all-time IMO.

I''m listening to it now and one really frustrating thing is The Keefer said he had a long interview with luck who asked it to remain off the record so it will.  What is the point then???  I'm happy to hear those around him but dang don't tell me you interviewed him just to say you won't tell me what was said.  I'd rather him say he never spoke with Luck or just not mention it at all.

For those that don't get to listen,  Luck showed up to the meeting at a coffee shop with and they sat outside because luck caught a cold from his daughter. he had a runny nose.  That's it.  That's all the info you get from that meeting.  ugh!

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His greatest enemy was our FO

Apparently D'Qeull Jackson pleaded with Luck to push the FO and GM into building around him better.  That is part of the teaser for the series.  if i hear it and have time i'll post more.

5 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Apparently D'Qeull Jackson pleaded with Luck to push the FO and GM into building around him better.  That is part of the teaser for the series.  if i hear it and have time i'll post more.

I haven't watched the cast but Luck was a quiet leader, sometimes you need a Peyton or Tom to push the limits but that isn't their job. Luck was cooked by the time Ballard took over that is what sucks. Look at what Luck did with Frank and Ballard in 2018 and he IMO Luck wasn't even mentally right. Luck had a great season but wasn't healthy either. I could tell.  

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I''m listening to it now and one really frustrating thing is The Keefer said he had a long interview with luck who asked it to remain off the record so it will.  What is the point then???  I'm happy to hear those around him but dang don't tell me you interviewed him just to say you won't tell me what was said.  I'd rather him say he never spoke with Luck or just not mention it at all.

For those that don't get to listen,  Luck showed up to the meeting at a coffee shop with and they sat outside because luck caught a cold from his daughter. he had a runny nose.  That's it.  That's all the info you get from that meeting.  ugh!

I think a lot of people would like to hear from him and his side. But staying out of the public eye is totally Lucks personality.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After all his injuries he just said the hell with it. His greatest enemy was our FO and coaching trying to ride a 1 man train. Average O.Line at best if not bad at times and no running game. Now he knows what David Carr went through, not fun. Had we had Ballard here with Frank from the beginning, we would be talking dynasty. I remember Luck stuttering a lot during post game conferences, my dad even pointed that out to me saying he has taken too many shots to the head. He told me son your guy is done and he told me back in 2016 he won't last. I was in denial but he was right. I did have some great moments in 2018 though. Luck in reality was never 100% in 2018, but 80% of him was better than most. That is why he is top 50 of all-time IMO.

This is where Luck I think could of benefited from sitting a year and watching how a vet takes care of business. Peyton would never have put up with not being protected. But Luck’s personality and wanting to get hit all the time also contributed to his injuries.

Archived