Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenny Moore absent from OTAs, wants new contract

Superman

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Deals like this is why players want to get paid fairly. Imagine getting this contract only averaging 27 yards per game lol.

It's not a great example. Njoku played out his rookie contract and 5th year option, then got tagged. KM already got his second contract, and is looking for a new contract (apparently) with two years remaining. (Njoku has also been vocally displeased with the Browns for two years, for various reasons, and was sitting out voluntary workouts this offseason.)

Although it's a decent example of a player getting a contract based more on the prevailing market than on his own performance. Which highlights how comments about KM not being great in 2021 miss the point.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, csmopar said:

Nope. Because again, it’s usually due to the player not performing to the standards that got them the contract in the first place. No different than my boss firing me even though I’m under contract if I’m not providing the results expected for said contract.

Lol. The player not performing got him the contract? I will assume you meant the player got CUT for not performing. That too is inaccurate. Haven't you seen the many times when players perform well and they get cut anyway? It happens all the time. 

A contract is a contract. If you believe one party is expected to honor it, then the other should too.

(Yes, I know the business of football does not work that way.)

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Kelly, Nelson, and Moore... none had a great year, let alone PB. 

When they released the final fan vote for the PB, only Taylor (he was #1 in the NFL) made the top 40 in fan PB votes for the Colts. Fan votes are 1/3 of the mix, with a third coming from coaches, and the last third from players. I don't believe they publish the players and coaches votes. IIRC, we had a lot of alternates too in addition to the 7 PBers.

Interesting. So player vote didn’t have anything to really do with it. That was at least a plausible explanation. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. The player not performing got him the contract? I will assume you meant the player got CUT for not performing. That too is inaccurate. Haven't you seen the many times when players perform well and they get cut anyway? It happens all the time. 

A contract is a contract. If you believe one party is expected to honor it, then the other should too.

(Yes, I know the business of football does not work that way.)

Cutting a player does not violate the terms of the contract. Under the rules of the NFL, teams can cut players, but they are obligated to fulfill the terms within the contract if the player is cut (per the rules, per the negotiated terms in the CBA, and per the terms between the team and agent/player). That's basically what guarantees, etc. that translate into dead cap is. 

Depending on the terms of the contract, a player cut may have zero, low, or high guarantees. Kenny for instance, has no guarantees over the next two seasons. He took all his guaranteed money up front. That's what he and his agent agreed to. Watson on the the other hand, signed a fully guaranteed $230M contract. So he can be cut any time, but his contract, all of it, would still be owed. That is, unless he got cut for violating rules/terms.

In short, cutting a guy is not violating a contract. It's part of the rules defined by the CBA. It's what happens when the player gets cut (the team's obligations under those conditions). Holding out in OTAs is not against the terms of the contract or CBA either. Only because they are explicitly voluntary. Holding out of mandatory sessions however is a violation, and can result in fines or other actions. 

17 hours ago, Superman said:

It's not a great example. Njoku played out his rookie contract and 5th year option, then got tagged. KM already got his second contract, and is looking for a new contract (apparently) with two years remaining. (Njoku has also been vocally displeased with the Browns for two years, for various reasons, and was sitting out voluntary workouts this offseason.)

Although it's a decent example of a player getting a contract based more on the prevailing market than on his own performance. Which highlights how comments about KM not being great in 2021 miss the point.

Yeah. Both were from the same 2017 class. And despite Njoku being a 1st round pick (with a fully gtd rookie contract), Njoku has made $15M in his career, while Moore (an UDFA) has made $22M. 

Also, the market for pass catchers is clearly exploding…reflecting the value and importance being placed on the passing game. Players that can shut down pass catchers are being and will be paid accordingly.

Could Moore defend and shut down or limit Njoku? I honestly don’t know. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Interesting. So player vote didn’t have anything to really do with it. That was at least a plausible explanation. 

Actually, it was coaches and players that likely got Kenny in. Fans didn't place him in the top 40. Now keep in mind they only published the top 40 vote getters (at least from what I've seen). So I'm sure he did get some fan vote (I voted for him IIRC lol), just not like a lot JT or others. Keep in mind Kenny was Indy's nomination for the WP MOY award, and the Indy hype machine was dialed up to 11 on Kenny on Hard Knocks. 

Overall though, PB is a popularity contest. Always has been. IMO, Kenny should have gotten a PB nod a few years ago, but not this season. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Could Moore defend and shut down or limit Njoku? I honestly don’t know. 

Well he couldn't defend Andrews (Balt TE) or Renfrow. Ups and down all season. IMO, did decent to good in most games, but really struggled in 6 or 7 games. A lot of the struggles were vertical, not in the box, which I think was the problem. Teams specifically tried to get him in those situations. Being the most targeted player in the NFL just doesn't happen by accident. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Actually, it was coaches and players that likely got Kenny in. Fans didn't place him in the top 40. Now keep in mind they only published the top 40 vote getters (at least from what I've seen). So I'm sure he did get some fan vote (I voted for him IIRC lol), just not like a lot JT or others. Keep in mind Kenny was Indy's nomination for the WP MOY award, and the Indy hype machine was dialed up to 11 on Kenny on Hard Knocks. 

Overall though, PB is a popularity contest. Always has been. IMO, Kenny should have gotten a PB nod a few years ago, but not this season. 

For sure. Gilmore somehow made the NFC PB roster last year, despite playing less than half of the season in the NFC and only playing 305 total snaps (only 3 games started). 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

For sure. Gilmore somehow made the NFC PB roster last year, despite playing less than half of the season in the NFC and only playing 305 total snaps (only 3 games started). 

All in all, I just don't pay much mind to PB. Sure, nice to have. Just not something anyone should put a ton of stock in. 

I prefer All Pro, and other end of year ranks and awards. PFF's is really good, and is typically similar to All Pro. But, I'm not gonna complain about Pro Bowl nods for our guys lol. Unless it simulates them hold out after a down year LOLOL.. 

I don’t know if this has been posted,  but Stephon Holder at The Athletic says the Colts have NO PLANS to give Moore a new contract.  Certainly not with two years to go.  Holder cites sources in the NFL, not the Colts. 

To me, there is still room for a compromise.   My idea of guaranteeing remaining money has been used by other teams.   It does not constitute a new contract, but gives some security to the player.   

The bad news is that KM has fired his old agent, and hired a new one.   This often means a holdout is coming.   So when practices become mandatory that’s when we will know. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know if this has been posted,  but Stephon Holder at The Athletic says the Colts have NO PLANS to give Moore a new contract.  Certainly not with two years to go.  Holder cites sources in the NFL, not the Colts. 

To me, there is still room for a compromise.   My idea of guaranteeing remaining money has been used by other teams.   It does not constitute a new contract, but gives some security to the player.   

The bad news is that KM has fired his old agent, and hired a new one.   This often means a holdout is coming.   So when practices become mandatory that’s when we will know. 

Was it Holder who shared that Moore fired his agent? Didn't hear that. Do they say specifically when it happened?

Not shocked the FO is willing to stand firm with 2 years remaining. IMO, Rodgers at NB would be pretty good, so Ballard likely doesn't feel too vulnerable. Hurts depth no doubt, but IMO I wouldn't worry much about a drop off at starter. 

But I'm with you on compromise. I wouldn't guarantee both years, but I'd offer to guarantee 2022 at 100%, or both years at 50% each. 

Overall, sounds like all the hype (WP MOY nomination, Hard Knocks stuff, Pro Bowl) has triggered something.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Was it Holder who shared that Moore fired his agent? Didn't hear that. Do they say specifically when it happened?

Not shocked the FO is willing to stand firm with 2 years remaining. IMO, Rodgers at NB would be pretty good, so Ballard likely doesn't feel too vulnerable. Hurts depth no doubt, but IMO I wouldn't worry much about a drop off at starter. 

But I'm with you on compromise. I wouldn't guarantee both years, but I'd offer to guarantee 2022 at 100%, or both years at 50% each. 

Overall, sounds like all the hype (WP MOY nomination, Hard Knocks stuff, Pro Bowl) has triggered something.

Yes, it was Holder who shared the news about the agent.   But the story didn’t say when.   

I think the trigger is all the crazy money corners are now getting, especially the last two years.   Even as a slot guy, the rising tide lifts all boats theory for the group would mean Moore would get more if he were a free agent.   Bradberry came off a crappy year and still got a good contract with Philly.   Ward left KC and got $14m from SF.   A number of zone corners got paid.   I hope KM isn’t getting bad advice.   I don’t know who the agent is. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Well he couldn't defend Andrews (Balt TE) or Renfrow. Ups and down all season. IMO, did decent to good in most games, but really struggled in 6 or 7 games. A lot of the struggles were vertical, not in the box, which I think was the problem. Teams specifically tried to get him in those situations. Being the most targeted player in the NFL just doesn't happen by accident. 

I hope the Colts don’t pay him this year. Never mind the ‘worth it or not’ debate, the above quote is the exact reason. He had a bad year and he was exposed. He needs to show he can rise above that and handle how OCs are going to attack him now until he deters them from doing it in my opinion. 

The fact he wants a new contract tells me he doesn’t acknowledge last years performance as a problem. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, it was Holder who shared the news about the agent.   But the story didn’t say when.   

I think the trigger is all the crazy money corners are now getting, especially the last two years.   Even as a slot guy, the rising tide lifts all boats theory for the group would mean Moore would get more if he were a free agent.   Bradberry came off a crappy year and still got a good contract with Philly.   Ward left KC and got $14m from SF.   A number of zone corners got paid.   I hope KM isn’t getting bad advice.   I don’t know who the agent is. 

Bradberry signed a one year deal for 7.5M. That was after he got cut because they couldn't find a trade partner. I'd add that he's more of an outside CB that can play slot. While Kenny is a slot, that really struggles on the outside and vertical. Bradberry's deal to me is kind of like the deal Rhodes signed with us. 

Ward's 13.5M/year deal is also for an outside CB. 

Rising tide may lift everyone, but outside CBs will always get more than slot guys. Combo guys that excel at both, and guys that can play a "star" role, will live in the space between. But Moore IMO is pretty limited to just slot. 

I'm with you on hoping he's not getting bad advice. My gut though just says he's feeling the hype and trying to flex. IMO, he's likely doing it one year too early, and might suffer for it. I just hope it doesn't turn toxic like his time he spent in NE. 

26 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I hope the Colts don’t pay him this year. Never mind the ‘worth it or not’ debate, the above quote is the exact reason. He had a bad year and he was exposed. He needs to show he can rise above that and handle how OCs are going to attack him now until he deters them from doing it in my opinion. 

The fact he wants a new contract tells me he doesn’t acknowledge last years performance as a problem. 

The bolded is what concerns me, and while I find it so strange given his contract's timing. If I were him, I'd want to ball this season to improve his market value. 

29 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Cut him Or trade him if he holds out. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Cut him Or trade him if he holds out. 

No reason to cut. That would be silly.

Trade, sure, if the offer is good. Whatever he's asking from Indy, is what we should tell him/agent we'd ask in a trade (the equivalent draft capital or level of player)... His agent would likely go 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b0qxhxpo41eorsphlv2h

Bradberry signed a one year deal for 7.5M. That was after he got cut because they couldn't find a trade partner. I'd add that he's more of an outside CB that can play slot. While Kenny is a slot, that really struggles on the outside and vertical. Bradberry's deal to me is kind of like the deal Rhodes signed with us. 

Rising tide may lift everyone, but outside CBs will always get more than slot guys. Combo guys that excel at both, and guys that can play a "star" role, will live in the space between. But Moore IMO is pretty limited to just slot. 

I'm with you on hoping he's not getting bad advice. My gut though just says he's feeling the hype and trying to flex. IMO, he's likely doing it one year too early, and might suffer for it. I just hope it doesn't turn toxic like his time he spent in NE. 

Excellent summary 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Rodgers was all round   better than Moore last year , except for tackling maybe. That being said Moore gave up the biggest catch and missed tackle of the season against the raiders 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, shasta519 said:

Well, the other 3 CBs on that PB roster make $17-20M AAV. So I understand why he sees it as a slight.

But this is sort of feels like Ryan Kelly trying to get a contract like Trent Williams.

Moore's AAV was $8M though when he signed, so I am curious to know what range he thinks would be acceptable.

Is it $10-12M? More? 

I don't know many slot CBs that are even making $10-12M AAV. Not talking about the outside CBs that can move inside and play slot too (like Marlon Humphrey)...I am talking about pure slot CBs.

Guys like Mike Hilton and Troy Hill make less than Moore. Taron Johnson just got $8M AAV and Chris Harris gets $8.5M, which are similar to what Moore got.

Those are guys that are typically on the list of top slot CBs, along with Moore.

Mathieu did make $10-12M in KC, but he was also an AP player. Now he gets $9.5M AAV. I don't think Moore is on that level.

Stephon Gilmore is a few years removed from dpoy and he making 10m Moore need to humble him self 

I understand all the differences and distinctions.   I’m only saying when the dollars go up for outside corners, they typically go up for slot guys as well.    That’s all I’m trying to say.  

I agree, this is one year too early, and doubly so that he’s coming off his worst year that also happened to end badly.   I’m just hoping there can be a little wiggle room to give both sides the room to compromise.  

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Cutting a player does not violate the terms of the contract. Under the rules of the NFL, teams can cut players, but they are obligated to fulfill the terms within the contract if the player is cut (per the rules, per the negotiated terms in the CBA, and per the terms between the team and agent/player). That's basically what guarantees, etc. that translate into dead cap is. 

Depending on the terms of the contract, a player cut may have zero, low, or high guarantees. Kenny for instance, has no guarantees over the next two seasons. He took all his guaranteed money up front. That's what he and his agent agreed to. Watson on the the other hand, signed a fully guaranteed $230M contract. So he can be cut any time, but his contract, all of it, would still be owed. That is, unless he got cut for violating rules/terms.

In short, cutting a guy is not violating a contract. It's part of the rules defined by the CBA. It's what happens when the player gets cut (the team's obligations under those conditions). Holding out in OTAs is not against the terms of the contract or CBA either. Only because they are explicitly voluntary. Holding out of mandatory sessions however is a violation, and can result in fines or other actions. 

Okay. Got it. My point is not whether a move violates or does not violate the CBA.  My point is that there appears to be a double standard. Most fans appear to have little problem with teams cutting players for whatever reason but when a player holds out to be paid more, that generates outrage and anger from fans. I attribute that to a bit of jealousy. Many fans don't believe players should make money for playing a game. So, when a players asks for more money, it elicits outrage from those who are not players.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:51 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This is half the story.    There are almost no contracts that are fully guaranteed in the NFL.  A small handful.    It’s not baseball or basketball or hockey.   Players have almost no leverage.  

Fans are fine when the team has leverage, but HATE when the player has it.   Pretty one sided.   You’re free to support anyone, any side you want.   Just don’t be surprised when players resent fans for the lack of support. 

Kenny doesn’t have the leverage to be honest , new scheme we have yet to see him play in to know if he can fit scheme , 

15 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Rodgers was all round   better than Moore last year , except for tackling maybe. That being said Moore gave up the biggest catch and missed tackle of the season against the raiders 

Kenny can lay the wood better than Rodgers, but Kenny's missed tackle % was slightly higher than Rodgers on the year. Overall, none of our CBs were great in the missed tackle % space. Purely my opinion based on eye test, but Rodgers started out the year very shaky in terms of tackling, but improved a lot by the end of the season. I remember an early season whiff he had, that totally lacked effort. I'm sure the coaches laid into him about it, but he seemed to respond well. 

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand all the differences and distinctions.   I’m only saying when the dollars go up for outside corners, they typically go up for slot guys as well.    That’s all I’m trying to say.  

I agree, this is one year too early, and doubly so that he’s coming off his worst year that also happened to end badly.   I’m just hoping there can be a little wiggle room to give both sides the room to compromise.  

Kenny is still one of the top paid slots. I'd have to look at the salary ranks and peel it down to slots, but I'd put money he's still top 5 paid at slot. When he signed his deal, pretty sure we made him the highest paid slot CB in the league. That's another reason I tend to lack sympathy in this case. I mean heck, we make a guy the top paid at his position, and he turns around half way through his contract and wants more...... If I were Ballard, not sure how well that would sit... 

Like I said, I hope it's more about guarantees, which I think can be worked out. If he thinks he should paid in the top 5 or 10, I think he's jumped the shark, and Ballard should tell him to look for a trade partner. 

8 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Kenny doesn’t have the leverage to be honest , new scheme we have yet to see him play in to know if he can fit scheme , 

His leverage is holding out.   And the scheme is not going to impact him at all.   Some teams play their weakest corner at the slot.  That’s not the case with the Colts.  

We play there because we use him as a weapon there, not just with pass defense, but run defense where he grades high and we can blitz him as well.   He also plays outside and plays roughly 90 percent of the snaps.  I think it’s safe to say KM is much more highly thought of by management than this fan base, at least judging by this thread. 

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. Got it. My point is not whether a move violates or does not violate the CBA.  My point is that there appears to be a double standard. Most fans appear to have little problem with teams cutting players for whatever reason but when a player holds out to be paid more, that generates outrage and anger from fans. I attribute that to a bit of jealousy. Many fans don't believe players should make money for playing a game. So, when a players asks for more money, it elicits outrage from those who are not players.

It's not a double standard at all. The CBA and individual contract terms define each and every contract. The agents and players know exactly what they are agreeing too, and exactly how much they will be owed if they play, if they quite, or if they get cut.  A team must follow all the rules. And teams rarely try to get out of CBA or contract terms (it would go to arbitration),.......  even when players fail to honor their terms, or retire early, teams rarely go after the players. For instance, we could have recouped money from Luck, and could have done so easily. Instead, it was more or less a parting gift. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

His leverage is holding out.   And the scheme is not going to impact him at all.   Some teams play their weakest corner at the slot.  That’s not the case with the Colts.  

We play there because we use him as a weapon there, not just with pass defense, but run defense where he grades high and we can blitz him as well.   He also plays outside and plays roughly 90 percent of the snaps.  I think it’s safe to say KM is much more highly thought of by management than this fan base, at least judging by this thread. 

Kenny did not play 90% of his snaps outside. He did play outside at times, but that had a lot to do with Rhodes and Rock being injured. We were in nickel about 70% of the snaps last season, and if we were in nickel, Kenny was almost always the nickel...... 

On scheme, not sure we can say the scheme won't impact him much. If Gus played only straight C3, then I'd agree, as NBs and SS are mostly in the flat. But Gus plays a fair amount of match. And that likely will impact Kenny.

And I'd say Kenny is our weakest outside/vertical CB we have (looking at starters and top depth). He's typically very good in the box, but there is a reason he's a slot, and not an outside CB. 

I agree he's decent blitzing, but his missed tackle % was not great. And Gus blitzed the least in the NFL last season. Again, the scheme could impact his use. Not saying he's a bad tackler, as he's had some very good moments laying the wood. He just whiffs 10+% of time too. 

Let's be honest here: The organization is not going to budge on their position and neither should they imo. The contract we gave him in 2019 was a dang good one, and while he has been pretty good the past couple of seasons, I don't see why he think he has to get something even richer now. Yes,I understand this is his caree/job but I think he needs to realize the team he is contracted too and how we go about our business; he will break long before we will.

I like Kenny don't get me wrong and I do sincerely hope that this gets resolved quickly as we need him out there. However, if at the end of the day nothing can be decided, well than it is what it is.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No reason to cut. That would be silly.

Trade, sure, if the offer is good. Whatever he's asking from Indy, is what we should tell him/agent we'd ask in a trade (the equivalent draft capital or level of player)... His agent would likely go 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b0qxhxpo41eorsphlv2h

That works too

It's not a double standard at all. The CBA and individual contract terms define each and every contract. The agents and players know exactly what they are agreeing too, and exactly how much they will be owed if they play, if they quite, or if they get cut.  A team must follow all the rules. And teams rarely try to get out of CBA or contract terms (it would go to arbitration),.......  even when players fail to honor their terms, or retire early, teams rarely go after the players. For instance, we could have recouped money from Luck, and could have done so easily. Instead, it was more or less a parting gift. 

Exactly 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kenny is a liability on the outside , but he does blitz well and tackle good 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I get this, but it is irrelevant to my point. If I was claiming that teams were wrong for cutting players, your post would be relevant.  I am referring strictly to fan reaction. There is a double standard except maybe when a team cuts a Peyton Manning. 

9 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Kenny is a liability on the outside , but he does blitz well and tackle good 

He plays roughly 90 percent of the snaps.  That means he’s outside a fair amount.  So I’m not sure management would agree with your evaluation

His PFF scores don’t say liability.   They say good corner.   Maybe not great, but better than many here think.  In this thread I’ve actually read posters saying we would have no problem replacing Moore.   I think management would strongly disagree with that. 

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

There's 26 cornerbacks making more than him. He's better than the 27th best corner in the league

Where does he rank as far as slot corner pay go? I know I’m 2019 colts made him the highest paid slot corner in the league 

Moore is a good player and good guy (We saw Hard Knocks), is he elite ? No, and should he hold out ? No, he already got a boost from original contract. Play it out and see what next contract is presented based on how season goes. Is he a villain ? No...just a guy trying to get what he can before body breaks down......I'd bet Pats still kicking themselves letting him go...... 

Archived