Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Ok. I was just saying that he seems like a Ballard-type guy. He is not a star. Ballard is not in a hurry to sign stars like OBJ. 

Who else is out there? Julio Jones is a star. AJ Green. I love Emanuel Sanders but I don't know if he is available.

Jones is done, I called that last year when Tennessee got him. Many in here said that was a great move by Tennessee, I was glad we didn't get him. Not sure what the answer is at WR at this point.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Ok. I was just saying that he seems like a Ballard-type guy. He is not a star. Ballard is not in a hurry to sign stars like OBJ. 

Who else is out there? Julio Jones is a star. AJ Green. I love Emanuel Sanders but I don't know if he is available.

There really isn't NOW and that's the point. I would have taken a chance on Chark for 12mil as an example or I would have tried for James Washington or I would have given MORE money to Gallup than Dallas did. These three are worth the chance and zilch. I'm just not buying the QB or not having one stuff, I'm just not until Ballard himself literally says we wanted Ju-Ju offered him money but Ju-Ju said no because we did not have a QB. Until that happens I don't buy it. This all to me is this stupid little game Ballard plays every year. the game of waiting it out, instead of partaking all in an effort to get decent players on the cheap. players on the cheap that help but never get you over the top. it's an endless cycle of mediocrity 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Jim Irsay hired Bill Polian who ran things like this. 

Maybe what you want is a new owner because this mode of doing business is exactly what Jim wants.

If you think Frank and Chris are getting fired if we go 5-12, i'll warn you now, be prepared to be thoroughly disappointed. We won't go 5-12 for starters, and even if we did they wouldn't get fired. Jim extended them (and rightly so IMHO) because he loves what he sees. He had Grigs and Pags running the show with a premium QB and he knows how BAD that was. These two have had no QB and have kept his club from becoming the Detroit Lions, you as a fan may not see how big a deal that is, the owner who has been around this game longer than many on this forum have been alive, he gets it. They'll draft a QB now and/or in 23. 

Polian had a reputation for success with BUF and Carolina that gave him some time to build a team around a rookie QB.  Polian actually did a mild rebuild under Dungy, when guys like Bratzke, Cota, and Poole rolled off.  

Not unlike Ballard is having to do after the retirements of TY and AC, trading of Wentz, and hiring a new DC.

Some are ready to write off Ballard and Frank after 5 years,  I'm not, but I think this second build has to go right...and needs to show positive results pretty quickly.  They don't have the capital built up with their reputations that Polian/Mora/Dungy had before they got here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

There really isn't NOW and that's the point. I would have taken a chance on Chark for 12mil as an example or I would have tried for James Washington or I would have given MORE money to Gallup than Dallas did. These three are worth the chance and zilch. I'm just not buying the QB or not having one stuff, I'm just not until Ballard himself literally says we wanted Ju-Ju offered him money but Ju-Ju said no because we did not have a QB. Until that happens I don't buy it. This all to me is this stupid little game Ballard plays every year. the game of waiting it out, instead of partaking all in an effort to get decent players on the cheap. players on the cheap that help but never get you over the top. it's an endless cycle of mediocrity 

If we still had Luck, Ballard's strategy makes perfect sense. Without him though, we can't keep up with the AFC with that strategy, and we're a mediocre to bad team compared to that conference. So honestly, I just think it's a combination of no QB security for FAs, and the fact that Ballard is being cheap along with no current QB in Indy that is driving FAs away. It already happened with Justin Jones and Evan Engram.

27 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Jarvis Landry who played with Baker in Cleveland.  I did read the Browns might be trying to bring him back.

23 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I heard this is a good draft for WRs. This is just my opinion but I would not pay big money to a free agent WR unless they are already playing on my team. I will pay Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen but no way am I paying James Washington or that free agent from the Chargers (Mike Williams?) big money to come here. 

I would rather draft a WR. Rookie wideouts seem to perform well. Diggs was great for us as a rookie as was Justin Jefferson.

The only wide receiver that I may pay for is Deebo Samuels. I am a big fan of his. He always plays with heart. He was great in college. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I heard this is a good draft for WRs. This is just my opinion but I would not pay big money to a free agent WR unless they are already playing on my team. I will pay Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen but no way am I paying James Washington or that free agent from the Chargers (Mike Williams?) big money to come here. 

I would rather draft a WR. Rookie wideouts seem to perform well. Diggs was great for us as a rookie as was Justin Jefferson.

The only wide receiver that I may pay for is Deebo Samuels. I am a big fan of his. He always plays with heart. He was great in college. 

Easy for you to say. You have two great WRs and KJ Osborne(#THEU). We have one star and nothing else 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Jarvis Landry who played with Baker in Cleveland.  I did read the Browns might be trying to bring him back.

I am not a fan of his. I would rather pay someone who won't break the bank. I cannot think of anyone but I am sure there are many. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Easy for you to say. You have two great WRs and KJ Osborne(#THEU). We have one star and nothing else 

Lol. I don't like to pay for free agents. We have not had great QB play in a while but I would not be in favor of signing Brady or Manning in their prime. I did not want us to sign Favre. I want to win with my players, not other teams' players. Trades are okay. 

34 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we still had Luck, Ballard's strategy makes perfect sense. Without him though, we can't keep up with the AFC with that strategy, and we're a mediocre to bad team compared to that conference. So honestly, I just think it's a combination of no QB security for FAs, and the fact that Ballard is being cheap along with no current QB in Indy that is driving FAs away. It already happened with Justin Jones and Evan Engram.

If that is the case, and I'm not saying it's not, then why continue to go after QBs that have no ability to bring you that security long term or if at all? 

Example:

Brissett. Did anybody really think he was going to bring long term security?

Rivers: How is this long term security? How is this even security albeit for one season which it was. No way anyone logical would think Rivers would be multiple years of security

Wentz: This one to me was the only one so far that would even be close at finding security, however major flags

Matt Ryan: Not traded for but if it turns out that way, how again is this security long term? This is Rivers 2.0

Mayfield: I'm biased here, so I will put that out there. Out of all who is left, Mayfield really is the only one who could bring you security. Like Wentz but with less baggage. Not saying zero baggage, saying less baggage more upside

If you really look at the pattern here, it seems to me the complete opposite is true. The year Rivers came here you should have loaded up, not shied away from if you believed that team could win with loaded AFC, which we were all told

Sorry, again I'm not buying your theory, it doesn't add up

• Like 1

To add to @Jared Cisneros point, there hasn't been one QB in Indy since Luck that did not need weapons/extra help around them, yet in each instance the Colts did not focus on that side of the ball.

Yes, drafted Pittman and Taylor. Big whoop

They kept same lame TE's instead of trying to improve them. They kept same lame wide receivers or fan favorite WR's past their time.

It goes on and on and here we are again.

If the Colts are seriously thinking about bringing in any of these QB's you have to have weapons, or the move is moot.

It's Deja-vu every year. If we have 7 picks this year, then 6 had better be on skill position TE's and WR's. No less than 6

Grab depth after camp from other team's scrap offs/cut downs after 4 of those 6 picks fail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. I don't like to pay for free agents. We have not had great QB play in a while but I would not be in favor of signing Brady or Manning in their prime. I did not want us to sign Favre. I want to win with my players, not other teams' players. Trades are okay. 

Makes good sense, but at the rate we are filling out the roster it just seems like a bus ride toward another rebuild. The outlook would look much brighter with a competent QB in place.

25 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

Any chance Colts get a player today?

Better yet, any chance the Colts get ONE of the top 100 Free Agents?

I guess Ballard figures no one on that list would come into the building with all their chips.  

5 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Makes good sense, but at the rate we are filling out the roster it just seems like a bus ride toward another rebuild. The outlook would look much brighter with a competent QB in place.

I think you will get it. Baker is not staying in Cleveland. He is a former #1 draft pick who has heart and has won before (in college). He wasn't just on a team that won-- he was a big part of why they won. I like him. I like guys that show leadership. He does. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Mayfield is the quarterback that makes the most sense if you are trying to find the right guy short term and long term.  Young and clearly with more upside and high ceiling.  Worth the gamble imo.  

He is better than anyone we have right now. We could win the division with him if everything fell right. We have a good roster and great RB. Win the division and you get a home game, so who knows from there. Our division is winnable. Jacks will be improved but still a ways off from winning 9 or 10 games unless Lawrence pulls a Luck - highly doubtful, Houston stinks, and Tennessee has Tannehill.  Tennessee has a good roster but Tennessee won a lot of close games last year that could've went either way, those same games may go the other way in 2022??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is better than anyone we have right now. We could win the division with him if everything fell right. We have a good roster and great RB. Win the division and you get a home game, so who knows from there. Our division is winnable. Jacks will be improved but still a ways off from winning 9 or 10 games unless Lawrence pulls a Luck - highly doubtful, Houston stinks, and Tennessee has Tannehill.  Tennessee has a good roster but Tennessee won a lot of close games last year that could've went either way, those same games may go the other way in 2022??

Agree. there are no QB's without flaws on the FA market. Let Reich redeem himself with a young, talented quarterback and see if he can get Mayfield to the next level. It is not as if this situation is a CAP killer for the next 5 years, if it does not work out. We can then go back to complaining about not having more weapons on offense.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Indeee said:

To add to @Jared Cisneros point, there hasn't been one QB in Indy since Luck that did not need weapons/extra help around them, yet in each instance the Colts did not focus on that side of the ball.

Yes, drafted Pittman and Taylor. Big whoop

They kept same lame TE's instead of trying to improve them. They kept same lame wide receivers or fan favorite WR's past their time.

It goes on and on and here we are again.

If the Colts are seriously thinking about bringing in any of these QB's you have to have weapons, or the move is moot.

It's Deja-vu every year. If we have 7 picks this year, then 6 had better be on skill position TE's and WR's. No less than 6

Grab depth after camp from other team's scrap offs/cut downs after 4 of those 6 picks fail

You would think that with the depth at WR and TE this draft, and the need for LT, that we would be drafting offense.  But now we also have a new DC, and maybe he wants a couple of pieces to play his scheme that we do not currently have.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Besides WR and QB, what other positions were you hoping Ballard would address during this free agency period?

TE. Maybe LT.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. It seems everyone needs OTs. Go out and get Armstead -- you have lots of cap space. 

Do you have positions on defense that you want to improve or fortify? 

Probably need corner and safety depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

Thanks. It seems everyone needs OTs. Go out and get Armstead -- you have lots of cap space. 

Do you have positions on defense that you want to improve or fortify? 

My pipe dream would be to trade for Matt Ryan and Pitts which would take multiple picks and sign Armstead. Pittman and Pitts would give Matt 2 good weapons. Then go all Defense in the draft with the picks we have left. We just traded for a good edge rusher which has been the only move Ballard has made so far.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Left Tackle

If Ballard can acquire Baker pretty quickly along with his relatively smaller cap hit he might have a chance at Armstead for LT.  That would take care of LT for years and we could focus on WR with our 1st pick.  But the Dolphins appears be moving quickly now so it's probably a long shot now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

If Ballard can acquire Baker pretty quickly along with his relatively smaller cap hit he might have a chance at Armstead for LT.  That would take care of LT for years and we could focus on WR with our 1st pick.  But the Dolphins appears be moving quickly now so it's probably a long shot now.  

That's my thing. why does not having a QB stop you from going to get a LT? At this point it's like Ballard is hoping Fisher comes back for cheap. Seriously, what else could it be?

Age? of Armstead and Brown?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My pipe dream would be to trade for Matt Ryan and Pitts which would take multiple picks and sign Armstead. Pittman and Pitts would give Matt 2 good weapons. Then go all Defense in the draft with the picks we have left. We just traded for a good edge rusher which has been the only move Ballard has made so far.

You're not getting Pitts. 

You need to replace Xavier, no? Patrick Peterson was not bad last year. 

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Besides WR and QB, what other positions were you hoping Ballard would address during this free agency period?

LT Terron Armstead.

FS, Tyrann Mathieu.

Both are still available, but will be pricey.  Not sure that either will be worth their price.

• Like 2