Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Coaching Tree

RollerColt

Say what we will about Frank, there is something to be said about the fact that the NFL now has two head coaches that were hired and promoted from our staff, not to mention several employees who have been candidates for GM positions. I know there are some negative things happening, but this does show that our coaching staff as well as organizational staff are well respected in the league. 

They are good leaders of men and did a good coaching job for their OC and DC roles (Sirianni and Eberflus). The leaders of men aspect got them the HC jobs. As far as OC, Sirianni had a lot of bumps coming up with the right plays for Hurts. Let us see how Eberflus does, when he calls plays for the defense being a head coach. Staley, when he was former DC of Rams and became HC of Chargers, his defense sucked with the Chargers, and he amplified it with his excessive 4th down analytics embrace.

Let us see how it goes as the years go.

I don't know who Ed Dodds is, but he withdrew from the CHI GM hiring process.  Apparently, he showed up late to the interview and cursed quite a bit throughout it.   Sometimes interviews given don't mean the candidate is a serious consideration.

Seems like there is a good coaching tree.  Not sure its been established that there is a good organizational tree. 

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know who Ed Dodds is, but he withdrew from the CHI GM hiring process.  Apparently, he showed up late to the interview and cursed quite a bit throughout it.   Sometimes interviews given don't mean the candidate is a serious consideration.

Seems like there is a good coaching tree.  Not sure its been established that there is a good organizational tree. 

Ed Dodds is very well respected from his time with Seattle and us......and he had an interview yesterday with the Raiders.

Doesn't seem very professional of him to be late and cuss throughout an interview???? Can this be confirmed?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

You are letting your discontent of everything Chris Ballard cloud your judgements. 

36 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ed Dodds is very well respected from his time with Seattle and us......and he had an interview yesterday with the Raiders.

Doesn't seem very professional of him to be late and cuss throughout an interview???? Can this be confirmed?

So that would support the SEA organizational tree? 

I didn't research it.  Somebody noted it and posted a link that I did not click.  Don't know the legitimacy of the link.  

But one reason a person withdraws from consideration is if they are later embarrassed upon reflection.  Other reasons too of course.

Again, there are reasons to interview someone even though they may not be very high on a list.

I'm only saying this because the comment was made about the Colts organizational tree being a source.  I don't see that yet.

I think the last Colts FO person to be hired in a meaningful role was Tom Telesco as GM of the Chargers, many years back.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You are letting your discontent of everything Chris Ballard cloud your judgements. 

Read my post to Scott Pennock.  I didn't say that the organizational tree was a negative. 

Its about others' love for everything Ballard saying that the Colts organizational tree supplies the NFL with people but there hasn't been much activity to support that claim.  Clouded judgment there.

Siranni and now Flus has HC.  Nobody as a GM since Tom Telesco, many years ago.

Ballard and Reich know how to identify talent (coaching talent i mean), they know how to bring in guys who can lead, teach, and strategize. That's a secret weapon.

Sometimes, other teams get bogged down by having unclear philosophies, or nepotism, or other things. From what I've seen of this staff, they identify who the best teacher is for whatever it is they want, then they try to hire that person.

Cant ask for more.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Read my post to Scott Pennock.  I didn't say that the organizational tree was a negative. 

Its about others' love for everything Ballard saying that the Colts organizational tree supplies the NFL with people but there hasn't been much activity to support that claim.  Clouded judgment there.

I don’t think it’s clouded judgement….  But it may not have been the most perfectly phrased.   

Is the tree Ballard’s?   Is the tree Frank’s?   Is the tree a little bit of both?    Who gets all the credit for what happened in Philly?   A nice job by Sirianni and the Colts assistants he took with him.  

No secret that from our front office Dodds and Morocco Brown have been getting interviewed for several years now.    Is it ok to give Ballard credit for that?  

Right now things are very negative here on the website.  It’s kinda nice to read something positive that perhaps the Colts are more highly thought of around the NFL than they are currently on this website. 

Just sayin….  

The bears are a perineal failure of a organization and I'm not sure it's not more of a reflection of their incompetence rather than the colts having 'good candidates'? 

It will take awhile but it will be interesting to see what type of success Eberfus has along with Dodds and Brown if and when they take over a organization.

It will be even more interesting and important to see what direction Ballard goes in his DC hire. I'm guessing Ballard will still go with a passive, soft cover 2 type of defense and DC....the names & faces may change but things will stay the same?

We'll see soon.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think it’s clouded judgement….  But it may not have been the most perfectly phrased.   

Is the tree Ballard’s?   Is the tree Frank’s?   Is the tree a little bit of both?    Who gets all the credit for what happened in Philly?   A nice job by Sirianni and the Colts assistants he took with him.  

No secret that from our front office Dodds and Morocco Brown have been getting interviewed for several years now.    Is it ok to give Ballard credit for that?  

Right now things are very negative here on the website.  It’s kinda nice to read something positive that perhaps the Colts are more highly thought of around the NFL than they are currently on this website. 

Just sayin….  

No need to get upset.  Read into any nefarious purpose how you want.   There was a post that separated the Coaching tree from the Organizational tree.

I was merely pointing out that the one interview we heard about regarding FO positions was rumored to have not gone very well.  And that Telesco, IIRC, was the last Colts FO person to get promoted to a new organization.

The coaching tree has produced two significant promotions, Sirianni and now Flus.

I don't know how someone would interpret any of this as a slam on Ballard, unless they choose to look at each response in every thread through a Ballard judgment lens, LOL.       

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

So that would support the SEA organizational tree? 

I didn't research it.  Somebody noted it and posted a link that I did not click.  Don't know the legitimacy of the link.  

But one reason a person withdraws from consideration is if they are later embarrassed upon reflection.  Other reasons too of course.

Again, there are reasons to interview someone even though they may not be very high on a list.

I'm only saying this because the comment was made about the Colts organizational tree being a source.  I don't see that yet.

I think the last Colts FO person to be hired in a meaningful role was Tom Telesco as GM of the Chargers, many years back.

I wasn't attacking you, if that is what you thought?

I just find it interesting that he would act in such a way? He could have also withdrawn because he didn't like the direction that they stated that they were going in? 

But I understand not clicking on the link - and as a professional organization I highly doubt that the bears would have linked info to the public stating that he was late and acted inappropriately? That seems just as unprofessional?

Whole situation is odd.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

I wasn't attacking you, if that is what you thought?

I just find it interesting that he would act in such a way? He could have also withdrawn because he didn't like the direction that they stated that they were going in? 

But I understand not clicking on the link - and as a professional organization I highly doubt that the bears would have linked info to the public stating that he was late and acted inappropriately? That seems just as unprofessional?

Whole situation is odd.

No, I wasn't and apologies if it came off that way.  I was explaining a possibility of why someone calls back later saying that they are not interested in the job after being interested in the job before the interview.  It can be several reasons, one of which is the candidate did not feel like the interview went well and wants to withdraw before getting rejected.  

I didn't click the link because personal stuff is usually not verifiable.  I just thought that the rumor fit with the fact that Dodds withdrew.

So after looking at the rumor and the fact, I have no reason to think its true....and no reason to think that it DIDN'T happen the way it was rumored to happen.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Siranni and now Flus has HC.  Nobody as a GM since Tom Telesco, many years ago.

I apologize if I’m my reply came away as harsh. I think the culture on this forum has shifted in terms of opinions of Ballard. And certainly as far as Eberflus goes Chris can’t take too much credit since that was a choice by McDaniels. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I apologize if I’m my reply came away as harsh. I think the culture on this forum has shifted in terms of opinions of Ballard. And certainly as far as Eberflus goes Chris can’t take too much credit since that was a choice by McDaniels. 

Wasnt it Ballard who picked Flus? My recollection is hazy. I thought Eberflus and Ballard got to know one another years before Ballard came to Indy.

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Wasnt it Ballard who picked Flus? My recollection is hazy. I thought Eberflus and Ballard got to know one another years before Ballard came to Indy.

McDaniels wanted him but Ballard was on board with the hire.  With that said if Ballard and Reich didn’t want him they could have easily moved on from him once McDaniels backed out or after Reich’s first year here.  The fact they didn’t says they liked him.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

McDaniels wanted him but Ballard was on board with the hire.  With that said if Ballard and Reich didn’t want him they could have easily moved on from him once McDaniels backed out or after Reich’s first year here.  The fact they didn’t says they liked him.

Yup. Thanks for the reminder.

This system/philosophy is exactly what Chris Ballard wants. I am worried he might change his mind because if he does then that's a rebuild and he's going to get fired because it won't go well. He's invested in it deeply now. He just needs rushers. The central tenet is sound. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

No worries. I probably over reacted myself.

As far as culture.  What triggers me lately is the idea that every thread or topic has to come back to fit into a pro-Ballard or non-pro-Ballard view.  Seems like readers are looking through the content of posts to gauge what the potential view of Ballard is.

Its nice to have discussions about the team or organization without having to wring it through a Ballard angle all of the time.  And that view is the sole responsibility of the reader, IMO.

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Say what we will about Frank, there is something to be said about the fact that the NFL now has two head coaches that were hired and promoted from our staff, not to mention several employees who have been candidates for GM positions. I know there are some negative things happening, but this does show that our coaching staff as well as organizational staff are well respected in the league. 

Pretty sure Flus was hired before Frank...

But yes, good track record given our lack of success. 

I'm truly interested in seeing what type of D (scheme and calls) Flus deploys now that he has total control. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

No worries. I probably over reacted myself.

As far as culture.  What triggers me lately is the idea that every thread or topic has to come back to fit into a pro-Ballard or non-pro-Ballard view.  Seems like readers are looking through the content of posts to gauge what the potential view of Ballard is.

Its nice to have discussions about the team or organization without having to wring it through a Ballard angle all of the time.  And that view is the sole responsibility of the reader, IMO.

I fully admit I’ve fallen into it several times. I just hope better days are ahead so the endless debates can finally end.

Archived