Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson vs Ballard

MPStack

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ballard basically had Luck for 1 good year in 2018 and we saw the results - 2017 when Ballard got hired, and 2019 were with JB, how is it massively benefiting from Luck? An increased amount of talent added would have made us at least a surefire division winner now with Luck, IMO. 

An elite QB can elevate the pass catchers. Case in point - Rivers with our pass catchers in same system versus Wentz. Hence the first 2 years, no WRs were drafted in 2017 and 2018 because a) Pagano was lame duck in 2017 and it ended up being a wasted draft, IMO and b) 2018 - we had to build our trenches and front seven which is what Ballard focused on. We got Dontrelle Inman that helped in 2018 but then we got Campbell in 2019 and Pittman in 2020 in the 2nd round in back to back drafts.

But whiffing on pass rushers has had a ripple effect on precious draft picks not being used on skill positions again now that we know Luck or Rivers is not walking through that door. That has been the BIGGEST issue with Ballard for me.

Would we have been able to trade down accumulate picks and draft Q if there was no franchise QB on this team? No

We keep acting like he was operating in a QBless vacuum when he made his first draft picks. 100% of our resources would/should have been directed at a franchise QB if we didnt have Luck and that means no Q, Leonard and several other players that he gets all the credit for drafting. 

17 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Would we have been able to trade down accumulate picks and draft Q if there was no franchise QB on this team? No

We keep acting like he was operating in a QBless vacuum when he made his first draft picks. 100% of our resources would/should have been directed at a franchise QB if we didnt have Luck and that means no Q, Leonard and several other players that he gets all the credit for drafting. 

Your argument suggests he wouldn't have been able to find guys like Q or Leonard if he had to spend draft capital on a QB, right? Q - I agree because he was rated that high. He would still have gotten guys like Braden Smith, Darius Leonard kinds later. If you look at his first round pick history, he has mostly traded down in future drafts as well piling more picks.

If the talent evaluation is good, you can still hit on guys for the right positions. Maybe not the exact same guys but we may be giving him credit for different players. I don't buy that argument completely. 

18 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

CAGEMATCH! Tonight at 8 on FOX

Ballard is about to escape the cage and win!  Wait what’s this?  It’s Dan Dakich with a chair and oh my God he has busted Ballard wide open and is now dragging Grigson out of the cage!  No not like this!  That dirty rotten son of a beep.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:51 PM, MPStack said:

E. Accorsi and Polian, I’m almost positive are the only ones.

When you wrote Giants GM, I figured you were referring to Gettleman who just retired but was the Panthers GM before being hired for the same position by the Giants. There have been a few others. Off the top of my head, I know that John Dorsey (Chiefs/Browns), Scot McClougan (49ers/Washington) and Trent Baalke (49ers/Jags) have had multiple shots at GM.

But you're right that most do not get 2nd shots at being GM. Almost all the candidates for GM being interviewed by the Vikings and Giants have never been GMs before. There is a list of over 14 candidates -- all never having had the title of GM. 

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

When you wrote Giants GM, I figured you were referring to Gettleman who just retired but was the Panthers GM before being hired for the same position by the Giants. There have been a few others. Off the top of my head, I know that John Dorsey (Chiefs/Browns), Scot McClougan (49ers/Washington) and Trent Baalke (49ers/Jags) have had multiple shots at GM.

But you're right that most do not get 2nd shots at being GM. Almost all the candidates for GM being interviewed by the Vikings and Giants have never been GMs before. There is a list of over 14 candidates -- all never having had the title of GM. 

In all fairness, most head coaches don’t get another shot either.  It does happen way more frequently tho than GMs.  A lot of failed NFL head coaches seem to end up in college as coordinators for awhile.  

I’m surprised colleges don’t steal more coaches...I say the line will become more blurred bc college football is big business. Iowa’s coach just signed an extension for 7million a year.  Iowa...in the middle of cornfields.  Honestly, I forget it’s even a state half the time lol. 

16 hours ago, stitches said:

More successful - Grigson ... almost entirely due to Luck. 

Better - Ballard. Not close. 

I wish Ballard had the chance to draft a Luck type of QB... 

That kind of sums it up.  

If you switch them, putting Ballard with Luck, we probably still have him and maybe a trophy or two.

Put Grigson in Ballards initial spot, we get the #1 draft pick each year, and he’s likely a bust.

(Too harsh, I know)

54 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

In all fairness, most head coaches don’t get another shot either.  It does happen way more frequently tho than GMs.  A lot of failed NFL head coaches seem to end up in college as coordinators for awhile.  

I’m surprised colleges don’t steal more coaches...I say the line will become more blurred bc college football is big business. Iowa’s coach just signed an extension for 7million a year.  Iowa...in the middle of cornfields.  Honestly, I forget it’s even a state half the time lol. 

Iowa's coach has been there forever. Years ago, teams in the NFL and other college teams tried to hire him but he never left. He will retire as Iowa head coach, I believe. 

NFL coaches seem to get second chances. Some are being interviewed this off season -- Bill O'Brien, Todd Bowles, and others. Brian Flores interviewed for the Texans head coach. (He would be crazy to take it after how they treated Culley. I think many teams may be interested in him.)

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Iowa's coach has been there forever. Years ago, teams in the NFL and other college teams tried to hire him but he never left. He will retire as Iowa head coach, I believe. 

NFL coaches seem to get second chances. Some are being interviewed this off season -- Bill O'Brien, Todd Bowles, and others. Brian Flores interviewed for the Texans head coach. (He would be crazy to take it after how they treated Culley. I think many teams may be interested in him.)

When the Texans fired their coach I immediately thought they were going after Flores.  I think they will try to bring in a coach to keep Watson.  

48 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

When the Texans fired their coach I immediately thought they were going after Flores.  I think they will try to bring in a coach to keep Watson.  

Okay. I'm unclear. Did Culley not want to play Watson? Does Flores have a relationship to Watson? 

I think Flores needs to be smart. After what happened to Culley, it is clear that this is NOT an organization to sign with. Many other teams will interview him. This may be his last chance to be a head coach. Let the Texans hire Adam Gase or someone already with the organization. 

58 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It would be the ultimate thing to hire Flores then trade Watson. That would be Hillarious. Apparently watson tried to settle and they won’t settle. Looks like Watson is not going to play for a long time if these victims won’t settle.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. I'm unclear. Did Culley not want to play Watson? Does Flores have a relationship to Watson? 

I think Flores needs to be smart. After what happened to Culley, it is clear that this is NOT an organization to sign with. Many other teams will interview him. This may be his last chance to be a head coach. Let the Texans hire Adam Gase or someone already with the organization. 

If someone payed me a million dollars to coach that team I still wouldn't do it, but maybe 2 million signing season 3 GIF- hey I could win at least a game haha 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Watson made the choice not to play.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Im saying this with a hazy memory but I thought the Texans GM is from the Patriots. I could see the GM wanting Flores bc they have worked together and he also wanted Watson in Miami.  Not sure if it was bc Watson likes the coach or the city but maybe those two could work together and salvage a future for the Texans

100% speculation without all the facts and honestly don’t care about that team enough to look into it.  I hope they screw up the hire and trade their franchise QB and chase their tails for the next decade. 

41 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Watson made the choice not to play.

39 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Im saying this with a hazy memory but I thought the Texans GM is from the Patriots. I could see the GM wanting Flores bc they have worked together and he also wanted Watson in Miami.  Not sure if it was bc Watson likes the coach or the city but maybe those two could work together and salvage a future for the Texans

100% speculation without all the facts and honestly don’t care about that team enough to look into it.  I hope they screw up the hire and trade their franchise QB and chase their tails for the next decade. 

Thank you. 

According to the latest stats, Ballard's pass blocking OL is WORST than Griggs .... 

Plus after 5 years of Ballard we need a LT, QB, Edge Rusher, #1 vertical playmaker WR, TE, top cover CB.... Yikes! Not to mention Reich is the HC and not going anywhere anytime soon :yuk:

The immediate Future is not looking so bright.

39 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

According to the latest stats, Ballard's pass blocking OL is WORST than Griggs .... 

Plus after 5 years of Ballard we need a LT, QB, Edge Rusher, #1 vertical playmaker WR, TE, top cover CB.... Yikes! Not to mention Reich is the HC and not going anywhere anytime soon :yuk:

The immediate Future is not looking so bright.

A lot of holes on this team.  I personally think we are covered at QB. Wentz isn’t elite and never will be but easily holds his own in the next group.  The fact he passed for 27td and limited turnovers with a terrible OL and subpar receiving group is amazing.  I don’t think people realize how bad the line and receivers played. For the first 5 games Wentz basically ran for his life...Only marginally improved during our midsession run but reverted back to the same the last two games.   Still plenty Wentz needs to improve on but he played moderately well In his first year here.  Just like most of the other position groups....he is slightly above average.  Another year and some real weapons and protection, we are looking at 12-5  

We have got to get playmakers on this team on the outside of both sides of the ball

Archived