Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Andre Goodman worth a 1 year contract?

chad72

No, we need youth on out team and we have experience in our secondary in Bethea and Powers. Both are young vets and that's good enough. Don't worry about veteran leadership on our D or secondary. Goodman also has no idea about our secondary, so he's not relevant in that department. We need youth, not oldies.

IMO, any player is worth a one year contract because that is almost no risk to the team. Personally, I don't think Goodman is not significantly better than what the Colts have on the roster. But, yeah, a one year contract let him come in and compete, if he's good enough to make the team, great, if not, oh well.

No, we need youth on out team and we have experience in our secondary in Bethea and Powers. Both are young vets and that's good enough. Don't worry about veteran leadership on our D or secondary. Goodman also has no idea about our secondary, so he's not relevant in that department. We need youth, not oldies.

I agree but witht hat said, if Champ Bailey was out their, heck yeah Id want him, if Ty Law even wanted to have a try out I would even try that just on how good they have been in the past alone, But I do get your point and agree

IMO, any player is worth a one year contract because that is almost no risk to the team. Personally, I don't think Goodman is not significantly better than what the Colts have on the roster. But, yeah, a one year contract let him come in and compete, if he's good enough to make the team, great, if not, oh well.

he would bring more credibility then any of the Corner we have to this point even if hes not a top shutdown Corner

If we don't get a cb in the draft that we are looking at..then yes he is a slight upgrade and Thomas/Rucker will still get experience in nickle and dime coverage. Otherwise, I am all for the rebuilding project and the young guys. I think he will get picked up pretty quickly however by a veteren heavy team.

While I am all for youth, we still need some veteran talent. But, that bit said, I don't think Goodman is it.

I'd lean more towards someone like Asante Samuel if he was available. 31, so he has some years left in the NFL. Has experience as CB number 1 in a 3-4. Would let us push powers to the #2 and give us a decent group for next year. Just make sure he has plenty of help over the top, as I recall him being a bit of a gambler.

If the Colts could give a little to bring him in, I'd be for it. However, he'd simply cost too much, so I don't see it happening.

If there were some other players like that, I'd be for them. And while we do need veteran presence, I don't feel that Goodman is a good fit. Too old and his skills are diminishing.

why not i mean while he might not be anything specially we all know if the colts draft right they will draft a good CB and with Powers, Rucker and Thomas are all young get a older experience to help develop and progress the younger CB worth a one year contract.

With some good coaching(which they hav'nt had) I think there is some upside to both Rucker and Thomas!

This.

While I am all for youth, we still need some veteran talent. But, that bit said, I don't think Goodman is it.

I'd lean more towards someone like Asante Samuel if he was available. 31, so he has some years left in the NFL. Has experience as CB number 1 in a 3-4. Would let us push powers to the #2 and give us a decent group for next year. Just make sure he has plenty of help over the top, as I recall him being a bit of a gambler.

If the Colts could give a little to bring him in, I'd be for it. However, he'd simply cost too much, so I don't see it happening.

If there were some other players like that, I'd be for them. And while we do need veteran presence, I don't feel that Goodman is a good fit. Too old and his skills are diminishing.

It would be nice to bring Asante in if the price was right, but day by day it's looking like he's going to remain and Eagle.

We should focus on younger guys. Considering Pagano was a defensive-backs coach before he was a DC I think our secondary is perhaps one of the areas that needs veteran leadership the least, and even then we have Bethea and Powers, and I don't see them going anywhere just yet.

We should focus on younger guys. Considering Pagano was a defensive-backs coach before he was a DC I think our secondary is perhaps one of the areas that needs veteran leadership the least, and even then we have Bethea and Powers, and I don't see them going anywhere just yet.

Personally, the focus on younger players bit is kind of, I don't know, misguided. The Broncos should focus on a younger QB. The blahs should focus on a younger blah.

i just don't buy it. We need talent at all places. We're not going to be very competitive on defensive if we just drop veteran presence and focus on youth. Just look at the Patriots. First they were getting old. Now they're too young in some places.

To me, it's not about age. It's about talent. First and foremost, we need talent. There is no guarantee that we find talent in round 2 or 3 or 4 or wherever. There's no guarantee at 1 either. If we could find a 26/27/28/29/whatever year old that can contribute at a good level, it'd be a worthwhile pickup. Youth for the sake of youth doesn't help us put Ws on the record, last I recall.

Personally, the focus on younger players bit is kind of, I don't know, misguided. The Broncos should focus on a younger QB. The blahs should focus on a younger blah.

i just don't buy it. We need talent at all places. We're not going to be very competitive on defensive if we just drop veteran presence and focus on youth. Just look at the Patriots. First they were getting old. Now they're too young in some places.

To me, it's not about age. It's about talent. First and foremost, we need talent. There is no guarantee that we find talent in round 2 or 3 or 4 or wherever. There's no guarantee at 1 either. If we could find a 26/27/28/29/whatever year old that can contribute at a good level, it'd be a worthwhile pickup. Youth for the sake of youth doesn't help us put Ws on the record, last I recall.

Who just wants younger players for the sake of them being younger? It should be implied I meant young players with talent. We don't have the cap room to sign a bunch of 33-year-old veterans. We should go find young cheap talent. My comment was from the standpoint that even pre-draft we aren't sitting well cap-wise. And we're not Superbowl contenders next year, why spend the money on a 1 year contract when we're building a new team and we can pick up a promising young talent who we can groom to be a franchise player by time we're a more complete team with larger cap space to begin playing in Free Agency?

You're right about talent, but how many 33-year-old cornerbacks are still out there playing at an elite level? Not many.

Who just wants younger players for the sake of them being younger? It should be implied I meant young players with talent. We don't have the cap room to sign a bunch of 33-year-old veterans. We should go find young cheap talent. My comment was from the standpoint that even pre-draft we aren't sitting well cap-wise. And we're not Superbowl contenders next year, why spend the money on a 1 year contract when we're building a new team and we can pick up a promising young talent who we can groom to be a franchise player by time we're a more complete team with larger cap space to begin playing in Free Agency?

You're right about talent, but how many 33-year-old cornerbacks are still out there playing at an elite level? Not many.

My biggest point is too many are clamoring that we need to get younger everywhere. The problem is, we're about as young a team as there is in the NFL. Good teams have a mix of veteran leadership/talent with some solid up and comers. The fact is, we are not going to hit a homerun on every pick in the draft. It simply won't happen.

We need talent, period. And it does the team no good to field strictly younger players who are not experienced with the ways of the NFL. Our team will most likely get man handled if we decide to do that. Personally, I like what the team has been doing. The signing are all low cost guys who have been overshadowed by better talent throughout their careers. Basically B type players.

Polian's philosophy was to hang on to A type players and let everyone else walk. We need to fill spots as best we can with B type players, and hope we can find some As in the draft, and perhaps free agency next off season. But the reality is, we'll be lucky to find 3 A players in the draft. 1 will surely be at pick #1. But the rest is a wash.

In any case, I'd rather have a B type 29 year old cornerback, than a green rookie playing out on the field come week one. We can let the rookies develop behind the B's and get them to the field when they deserve to be. But we don't need to focus on youth. We need to focus on good. We certainly don't want 35 year old corners, but if we're only using them for a year, it wouldn't hurt. I'd much prefer younger than 35, but if there was a quality 35 year old guy out there, I'd have no problem with the Colts filling a void for a year while we develop the young guys we'll eventually draft.