Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Pats at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

Just now, DougDew said:
  • Getting a 67 yard TD run in that down and distance, stacked box, and obviously wanting to kill clock was pretty lucky.  A smart coach would have passed the ball if his GM could figure out what proper WR talent Looks like.

it wasn’t lucky, it was a good run call.  When a defense stacks the box like that, you give up the second level and all you need is for a rb to get to the second level and it’s over.  

another gripe during the bucs game was the lack of outside runs.  That was beautiful play call by Reich and the play shows it.  67 yard runs don’t happen by luck.  

Just now, csmopar said:

Um wait what? Taylor had over 20 carries going into the 3rd...

Stop it you know what I meant, Taylor had 4 touches in the 3rd vs his 18 in the second half.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Man did that feel good!!!!!!

Thoughts on the game

Taylor is the MVP.  Dude won this game when his QB threw for less than 60 yards against supposedly the best team in the AFC.

Defense played some of the most inspired football I have seen from them in a longtime.  They got a little a shaky in the 4th but hey hard to be perfect for 60 minutes.

The special teams unit is an unsung hero of this team.

Hot Rod will be back Christmas Day, one kink in the Colts armor tonight on special teams.  
Frank out coached BB.  
I hope both guys are okay with that wicked hit with Sendejo. 

Tight ends might be this teams undoing.  Leonard is about an inch away on a lot of those plays it’s so close.  
Hats off to the oline and Pinter.  Several times tonight the Colts went right behind him including several QB sneaks where they were going behind him and big Q.  
Can we please stop saying Leonard is over paid?  Yes I know he struggles in pass coverage at times but he is so good at everything else it’s not even funny.

The crowd brought it.  Also I saw something on here this week about wondering if the team understood this rivalry.  There is no question they did.  You could tell from the first snap this game meant just a little something extra to them.

I don't think there's any reason for them to switch back to Rodrigo regardless of the miss..

They both aren't good from 45+
Badgley has 1 miss from 0-40 in his career

Badgley in his IND career: 91.7 FG%, 100 XP%

Blankenship in his IND career: 84.3 FG%, 94.3 XP%

2 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I think he’s referring to the 3rd qtr where Reich decided to begin his usual choke job.  Going into the 4th, Taylor touched the ball 4 times.

How many plays did we run in the 3rd?  I don't have the stats yet.

Also, Taylor was getting stuffed in the backfield a few times.  I believe one of  the complaints against Frank was that he threw 22(?) consecutive times and people were saying you have to keep them honest by running it.  This is the same situation and he tossed it to keep the linebackers honest.

11 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Wait, what??

Wentz threw 12 freakin' times.  12!!  ...Over 4 quarters!  How is that going away from the run??

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Sometimes it's mind boggling in here. :shake:

Again, it's more about balance and mix. 

Our 2 worst drives... All passing.

1st drive of the 1H, which is absolutely critical, 3 passes, and out.

1st drive of the 2H, which is critical, and right after a turnover, 3 passes, and almost missed FG.

I want passing. I just want balance. 

I just can't think of any reason why you leave your best weapon out the scripts to open up the game, or the 2nd half. 

18 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Wait, what??

Wentz threw 12 freakin' times.  12!!  ...Over 4 quarters!  How is that going away from the run??

Okereke INT - we got it on their 20, up 17, with a chance to end the game.  Taylor doesn't touch it.  We then got in their territory, up 20 with a chance to end it.  Frank passes on first down - near pick 6, we settle for a long FG.  Miss.

Frank sees the near INT, sees that Wentz has been off from the first throw, comes back the next possession, throwing.  INT.  

You were up 17 in their territory and up 20 in their territory in the 3rd quarter...  The only way you could possibly lose that game is by doing what Frank did.  

He doesn't have a great feel for those situations and calls an unnecessarily panicked game at times.

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

it wasn’t lucky, it was a good run call.  When a defense stacks the box like that, you give up the second level and all you need is for a rb to get to the second level and it’s over.  

another gripe during the bucs game was the lack of outside runs.  That was beautiful play call by Reich and the play shows it.  67 yard runs don’t happen by luck.  

Stop it you know what I meant, Taylor had 4 touches in the 3rd vs his 18 in the second half.

NE over ran it.   Getting a hole like that depends upon poor defensive play.  Yes, keep running it and the defense will make a bad play at some point.  Keep passing it, and the D will make a bad play at some point.

JT is fast and you want to give him a crease.  That's why you run it up the middle....he's not really a stretch play or turn the corner RB.  You run him up the middle because you look for that misplay by the D and he has the speed to take it to the house.

12 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I think he’s referring to the 3rd qtr where Reich decided to begin his usual choke job.  Going into the 4th, Taylor touched the ball 4 times.

The Colts had all of 12 plays in the third quarter.  Of those two were kicks so they really had 10.  So it ended up being four passes to six runs (two were Wentz runs).  So it’s not nearly as bad as you making it sound.

Either way Frank seemed to realize on the second drive of the third quarter they needed to get back to running and went back to it after that.  So he tried one drive really to throw the ball realized it wasn’t there and went back to running.  

After the INT with 13:25 left in the game the Colts didn’t attempt another pass so clearly Frank realized they needed to run because the pass wasn’t there.  

It’s really unreal in a game that the QB threw all of 12 passes (three of which came on the first drive) and ran it 39 times people are complaining that Frank tried to throw it too much…

JT *God MODE* the whole world knew we are running on that play and getting the TD out of it. 

Oline specially Nelson and my boy Pinter awesome.

Defense peanut puncher and his amigo each got the INT. Sandejo with some nasty hits, I hope he is fine. 

Pittman watched his youTube channel how calm he is there, man bring the heat and anger on the field loved it. Hate for him to leave. 

COLTS WIN against Belichick and ch3atr!ots, what an awesome feeling. Finally can have a good night after long long time, and BB who is 18-2 against 1000 yards rushers finally picked up his 3rd loss. Congrats on that feat. 

ECSTATIC about the win!! Enough wood being laid tonight to build a house. Can we see that kind of inspired defense the rest of tue year please? JT is beastly and literally carries the team. Wentz was shaky..Think he bounces back next Saturday. 

Cant wait for Hard Knocks on Wednesday :applause:

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

How many plays did we run in the 3rd?  I don't have the stats yet.

Also, Taylor was getting stuffed in the backfield a few times.  I believe one of  the complaints against Frank was that he threw 22(?) consecutive times and people were saying you have to keep them honest by running it.  This is the same situation and he tossed it to keep the linebackers honest.

I think some fans don't understand that the offense reacts to the way the defense is being called. They think plays should be called regardless of what the defense is doing. Sheeeze......IT WAS THE #1 defense people! 

Beat the Pats for the first time in 12 years? ......and then complain. Absolutely * classic. 

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Okereke INT - we got it on their 20, up 17, with a chance to end the game.  Taylor doesn't touch it.  We then got in their territory, up 20 with a chance to end it.  Frank passes on first down - near pick 6, we settle for a long FG.

Frank sees the near INT, sees that Wentz has been off from the first throw, comes back the next possession, throwing.  INT.  

You were up 17 in their territory and up 20 in their territory in the 3rd quarter...  The only way you could possibly lose that game is by doing what Frank did.  

He doesn't have a great feel for those situations and calls an unnecessarily panicked game at times.

And I also remember Taylor taking a loss 2 consecutive running plays.  Not sure if that was the 3rd or 4th.

What about balance and feel for the game?  We had run heavily and they were in the box.  Shouldn't the pass be used to keep the LB'rs back a bit?

Agree that Carson was off from the 1st throw of the night, but, geez,, he has to throw it a bit.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

NE over ran it.   Getting a hole like that depends upon poor defensive play.  Yes, keep running it and the defense will make a bad play at some point.  Keep passing it, and the D will make a bad play at some point.

JT is fast and you want to give him a crease.  That's why you run it up the middle....he's not really a stretch play or turn the corner RB.  You run him up the middle because you look for that misplay by the D and he has the speed to take it to the house.

If NE overran it and it worked, doesn’t it make a good play call? Lol

3 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

And I also remember Taylor taking a loss 2 consecutive running plays.  Not sure if that was the 3rd or 4th.

What about balance and feel for the game?  We had run heavily and they were in the box.  Shouldn't the pass be used to keep the LB'rs back a bit?

Agree that Carson was off from the 1st throw of the night, but, geez,, he has to throw it a bit.

Not in that situation he doesn't.  Run the damn ball, burn clock, end the game.

If you want Wentz to pass, throw a screen to Taylor.  lol

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts had all of 12 plays in the third quarter.  Of those two were kicks so they really had 10.  So it ended up being four passes to six runs (two were Wentz runs).  So it’s not nearly as bad as you making it sound.

it definitely was.  It got to the point where the announcers were saying RUN THE BALL.  If the announcers are calling out the play calling then it’s BAD.

1 minute ago, jeepnkal said:

my thought is a rookie QB looked more poised and made better decisions with the football than the vet on the other side. Frank and Carson are may start people asking questions about the QB position long term. Just a thought. 

That rookie QB wasn’t playing the number one pass defense. Wentz did try to force it to Pittman to much rather then finding the guy that was open. 

Just now, smittywerb said:

If NE overran it and it worked, doesn’t it make a good play call? Lol

I never said it wasn't a good play call, but to get a big hole like that requires some misplay by the D.  NE doesn't do that stuff at that point in the game very often.

There are times like that in games where you want the QB to pass the ball, just aching to get that one extra first down to get to that next series so the time outs can be used up and the clock running.

Really, the Colts looked and played much more prepared than NE did.  Untypical for a BB team.

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

it definitely was.  It got to the point where the announcers were saying RUN THE BALL.  If the announcers are calling out the play calling then it’s BAD.

It really wasn’t the Colts ran it 39 times and threw it 12 times all game including throwing it nine times on their last 48 plays.  Also these same announcers started the game saying the Colts had to beat the Pats throwing the ball because the Pats would be too keyed in on the run.  So I’d be careful using them to defend your position.  

Just now, DougDew said:

I never said it wasn't a good play call, but to get a big hole like that requires some misplay by the D.  NE doesn't do that stuff at that point in the game very often.

There are times like that in games where you want the QB to pass the ball, just aching to get that one extra first down to get to that next series so the time outs can be used up and the clock running.

Really, the Colts looked and played much more prepared than NE did.  Untypical for a BB team.

you said it was lucky.  My argument isn’t that it wasn’t luck and it was actually a great call and designed run by Reich.  Maybe you meant him breaking it open was luck which is why I brought up the running back reaching the second level against stacked boxes point.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

It really wasn’t the Colts ran it 39 times and threw it 12 times all game including throwing it nine times on their last 48 plays.  Also these same announcers started the game saying the Colts had to beat the Pats throwing the ball because the Pats would be too keyed in on the run.  So I’d be careful using them to defend your position.  

once again, referring to my original comment, we’re talking about the THIRD Qtr when the momentum had shifted.  I watched the same game the announcers did.  JT didn’t get the ball enough in the THIRD qtr.  I myself was wondering why we weren’t running in the third.  Go to the game chat, I even hoped that Reich didn’t throw on first down again.  

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Danny Pinter played a heck of a game tonight also. I think Wentz was only sacked once and there was holes for Taylor.

He was also the other guy the Colts were sneaking behind with big Q and that the Colts were running behind all night.  The Colts have some really good depth on the line now.

48 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'm not of the opinion Wentz is bad, but Frank certainly needs to recognize when he's off.  He was off tonight from the first pass.  When he's off and you have 17-20 point lead, just run the damn ball, finish it out and take the W.

I'm not saying Wentz is bad, necessarily. He hasn't had a terrible season. He's just not good. There should be not an iota of confidence that he can take us anywhere. If he wins us a playoff game or two, it should be treated as a total surprise. Because what he's shown is essentially we can't trust him not to throw games away. So chances are we will have to manage him. 

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pats pass D is #1

Our best WR got tossed

First and second reads looked to be mostly right at NE's best DBs.... 

Our other WRs are not elite

Not worried about Wentz. But yes, have to recognize when things aren't working. I'm just glad they went heavy JT in the 2nd series in the 1H tonight. If not.... not pretty. 

That is the caveat; the Pats have a very good defense, I don't think anyone was expecting Wentz to shred them anyway, and the Pittman ejection was a kick to the nuts and a screwjob by the officials. He was truly horrendous tonight, though. 

6 minutes ago, jeepnkal said:

my thought is a rookie QB looked more poised and made better decisions with the football than the vet on the other side. Frank and Carson are may start people asking questions about the QB position long term. Just a thought. 

hahahaha...too funny.  The rook had 2 INT's and Wentz had 1.  Kid missed wide open receivers and had a delay of game.

Yeah, he was more  poised than the vet.  Laughable...

Wentz had a bunch of bad tosses, but no way did the rook look more "poised" than Wentz did.

Wentz is dong just fine this year.  No questions about his future here.  Just my thoughts.

Archived