Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What about ILB Donta Hightower for Colts?

If the top CB and WR prospects (Janoris Jenkins, Dre Kirkpatrick, Stephon Gilmore, Stephen Hill, Kendall Wright, and Coby Fleener) are all taken by the 34th pick, and a guy like ILB Donta Hightower slips, would you take him?

I know we have Angerer and Conner as our ILBs as of now, but adding Hightower to take the place of Conner would make this LB core BEASTLY! Hightower is a big physical LB who fits our new identity of building the monster. He is listed at 6-2 260 pounds and can run well for his size. He stonewalls runners which would instantly make our run defense better. Angerer would be our better pass defending ILB of the two while Hightower just imposes his will and can rush the QB from time to time. Plus he is a very intelligent ILB who was the leader of Alabama's defense.

This move could make our defense one of the best in the league in a year or 2 and would instantly make our LB core one of NFL's best. Would you be a fan of getting him?

If Hightower was somehow there he would be a dream pick. People are talking about Connor like he is a super star. He is not. He wouldn't even be a starter on teams with a top 20 D. Angerer is great and should make some probowls. Hightower should too. What a pairing that would be. Angerer, Hightower, Mathis, Freeney for a LB core. Sounds great. Can't see him getting past Pittsburg or Baltimore though.

You either draft for a high ceiling or high floor at No.34. You cant have a 2nd round pick wait forever to contribute, IMO, not with the way our roster is set up.

Hightower would be a resounding yes because of his coverage abilities too, high floor and high ceiling, IMO. But with Farrior gone and the Ravens looking for someone to replace Ray Lewis down the road, those AFC North teams will not let a 3-4 ILB slip by, even with their eyes closed. Upshaw, low ceiling since he cannot play in coverage, and low floor since I do not see his pass rush abilities that amazing for being picked at No.34. If pass rush is the key at No.34, you will have Andre Branch, Chandler Jones and Vinny Curry that can provide it better, IMO. Like someone else said, Lavonte David with better coverage skills makes sense.

But at No.34, we need a playmaking starter for offense/secondary or starter for the lines, not someone who will be in the rotation occasionally. A starting WR or TE or CB or NT or OG makes the most sense at No.34 to me.

Playmakers that could contribute right away and be starters that could be found in the second round

RB: I belive none, Brown is the starter, but Doug Martin would be interesting

WR: Sanu, Randle, Jeffrey: Wright will be gone at 34, these receivers could play alongside Wayne with Collie in the slot

TE: Fleener, He would contribute because of his experience with Luck

OT: Maybe Mike Adams? The team spent last years first two picks on tackles

OG/C: Peter Konz or Kevin Zeitler would be great, they could both be starters, also Glenn is a posibility although I dont believe he'll be there

DE: Kendall Reyes, Devon Still: they would be in a rotation but would become strters very quick

NT: I dont believe Dontari Poe will fall

OLB: Branch, Upshaw, Curry, McClein, Jones: they could be great situational pass rushers and could eventually replace Freeney

ILB: Hightower, Any other ILB would be a reach, assuming Kuechly will be gone

CB: Jenkins?, Gilmore?, Josh Robinson, Jamell Fleming: Could be starters with Powers

S: I would only select a safety if a top 15 talent like Mark Barron falls

If he's the BPA then yes I would take him, I don't see how he gets to the 2nd though lol.

i think it's a def possibility. he strictly a 3-4 guy so that eliminates ove half the teams right there. the biggest threats are pittsburg and ravens...and they both have more pressing needs on the offensive line. texans are another possibility but another pass catcher is a strong possibility.

i think it's a def possibility. he strictly a 3-4 guy so that eliminates ove half the teams right there. the biggest threats are pittsburg and ravens...and they both have more pressing needs on the offensive line. texans are another possibility but another pass catcher is a strong possibility.

Both the Ravens and the Steelers need an ILB though, so I don't think they'll both pass on him. Stranger things have happened though, so it could happen, but Hightower is definitely 1st round talent.

i do like hightower but only if fleener,jenkins,hill is off the board which i doubt. two of those players will fall to us but idk which way grigson will go. if i had to bet on this i think grigson will choose hill over fleener and jenkins because he's known for drafting wr's early jackson,macklin and no te's.

I don't see any way he escapes the gauntlet of Pittsburgh, Houston, and Baltimore. If he does he would most likely be BPA. He or Kendricks would definitely be an upgrade at ILB in the 3-4. However, I don't see LB as too great of a need at this point.

because the steelers desperately need offensive line help too....as does baltimore. i'm hoping the ravens take konz and they should after watching matt birk get destroyed in the playoffs.

i do like hightower but only if fleener,jenkins,hill is off the board which i doubt. two of those players will fall to us but idk which way grigson will go. if i had to bet on this i think grigson will choose hill over fleener and jenkins because he's known for drafting wr's early jackson,macklin and no te's.

grigson never did the drafting in philly

hightower is pretty much only a 3-4 backer...i don't see how he fits with the seahawks

I disagree. I think Hightower would be more valuable to a 3-4 team because of his ability to rush the passer but I don't think he's "strictly" a 3-4 LB. If Mathias Kiwanuka can play MIKE in a 4-3 then I see no reason Hightower couldn't as well.

another undersized 4-3 guy? no thanks

I definitely agree. No thank you to Lavonte David.