Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Waiver claims on the horizon?

richard pallo

I just read an interesting report that the Colts are now currently third in line when it comes to waiver claims.  This week they started using a teams current record when constructing the list.  Ballard has used the waiver wire with some success in the past.  Moore is the most obvious that comes to mind.  So I am expecting some players coming our way in the next few weeks.  Thoughts?

I don't know about waiver wire pickups, but there are free agents that could be added to our team. Namely John Brown and Travis Fulgham. Brown has over 1,500 receiving yards the past two years. That is better than every Colts receiver including T.Y. and Pascal. Fulgham had similar numbers to Pascal last year and he only played in 13 games, plus he is familiar with Carson Wentz. It is far past time for the Colts to stop touting the "potential" of players in their receiving room, and sign players who might actually be able to "produce." I will wait for all the "we are good at wide receiver" posts. Besides Pittman and Pascal, we have no receivers with more than 33 total yards in three games.

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

I don't know about waiver wire pickups, but there are free agents that could be added to our team. Namely John Brown and Travis Fulgham. Brown has over 1,500 receiving yards the past two years. That is better than every Colts receiver including T.Y. and Pascal. Fulgham had similar numbers to Pascal last year and he only played in 13 games, plus he is familiar with Carson Wentz. It is far past time for the Colts to stop touting the "potential" of players in their receiving room, and sign players who might actually be able to "produce." I will wait for all the "we are good at wide receiver" posts. Besides Pittman and Pascal, we have no receivers with more than 33 total yards in three games.

I'd rather he find some blockers, so the ball gets to Wentz before opposing DLinemen.

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

Keep in mind those two receivers you mention are free agents four games into the season.  Yet no team has made a move for them to date.  Players that are waived now have made a roster this year and are now being released.  They made it onto a NFL roster.  They are not stars but they have the talent to make a team which is not easy to do.  So hopefully we can find some immediate help given our current situation.

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Keep in mind those two receivers you mention are free agents four games into the season.  Yet no team has made a move for them to date.  Players that are waived now have made a roster this year and are now being released.  They made it onto a NFL roster.  They are not stars but they have the talent to make a team which is not easy to do.  So hopefully we can find some immediate help given our current situation.

No wr that is getting cut is better than what we have

4 hours ago, philba101 said:

Brown has had a ton of injuries and is slowing (he's 31). Coutee is a better risk/reward type IMO. 

Fulgham wasn't on the Eagles 53 to start the season last year, joined the 53 after a bunch of injury, ended up leading the team, and then couldn't make the team this year. Not picked up by anyone either. Something's odd. 

14 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I'd rather he find some blockers, so the ball gets to Wentz before opposing DLinemen.

You are correct. If we can't block for our Quarterback, I am not sure it will make that much difference who he is throwing to. But, there are not a ton of productive lineman sitting on the sidelines right now that can be snatched up by the Colts.

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I get what you are saying, but it doesn't mean they couldn't contribute. Todd Gurley scored 12 touchdowns las year and is still not signed by any teams. There are a lot of factors like injury which play into this. My beef with the Colts right now is that we don't have enough producers on the team. We have a lot of "potential" and supposedly a great locker room, but not enough producers at the WR position.

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Brown has had a ton of injuries and is slowing (he's 31). Coutee is a better risk/reward type IMO. 

Fulgham wasn't on the Eagles 53 to start the season last year, joined the 53 after a bunch of injury, ended up leading the team, and then couldn't make the team this year. Not picked up by anyone either. Something's odd. 

You are right. Something is odd with Fulgham. The guy had four total games with over 75 yards receiving last year, 2 of the 4 were over 100 yards. If he plays and gets targets, he is productive. Then he just disappears like he was never a part of the team. Strange.

37 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Not sure that is true. Are you telling me there are no wide receivers available that can't produce more than 33 yards (P. Campbell), 26 yards (M. Strachan) in 3 games of work?

Not playing in Frank's offense.  Do not forget Stachan made 2 key catches in game one and the reward was he got benched. 

11 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Not playing in Frank's offense.  Do not forget Stachan made 2 key catches in game one and the reward was he got benched. 

I agree our offense has looked atrocious and Reich's play calling seems to be getting worse. The OC and Reich have got to get on the same page in putting our players in position to be productive. I don't think Reich or anyone for that matter thought that our line would struggle so much early on, and that the defense would be giving up so many points. They believed they were going to have time to develop Wentz and this offense.  The Wentz injury along with the litany of other injuries really has this coaching staff rattled. They may not always show it outwardly, but they are struggling to adjust. They get paid to navigate these struggles and need to do better. I am afraid it is going to get worse before it gets better.

4 hours ago, philba101 said:

You are right. Something is odd with Fulgham. The guy had four total games with over 75 yards receiving last year, 2 of the 4 were over 100 yards. If he plays and gets targets, he is productive. Then he just disappears like he was never a part of the team. Strange.

Not a Philly fan, so only spit balling... but I'd guess he's either route challenged, or personality challenged.

But if anyone would know, it would be Wentz. If Wentz wanted him, I'm sure Frank would have made it happen.

Archived