Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say we end up with a top 10 pick

Patrick Miller

Yeah right now, I am of the opinion that we should ride Wentz next year too. Our record is not his fault. Of course, we will see how the season plays out. At this point, I say premium position or trade down for more picks. 

Would anyone be open to a trade similar to the Buckner one for a proven player if we have a top 10?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any QB in this class will be worth a top 10 pick and if there is someone will move in-front of us to get.  I would draft WR/OT/CB whichever one is the best and roll with Wentz into next season.  If it turns out to be more of the same then I would go after a QB and hope the draft class is a little better the year after.

If we do go down this season and have a top 10 pick I wouldn't draft a QB but I would 100% be bringing in a vet QB behind Wentz if we still dont trust Eason at that point. 

6 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

If we secure a top-10 pick and select a QB in the draft then the following would have to be true:

1. Wentz did not play 75% of the snaps (was injured).

2. Colts finished with a poor record to earn a top-10 pick.

3. Hundley, Eason, or Ehlinger (whoever played in Wentz' absence) did not play well, earning a top-10 pick.

Ballard would then not only have done poorly in selecting Wentz as the Colts QB, (giving up draft capital and salary) he would also have done poorly in drafting Eason and Ehlinger (either who were incapable of winning). 

So Ballard would then have to draft another QB.

I agree with the three reasons. However, Ballard and Reich have basically admitted they have done poorly drafting Eason considering Hundley beat him out to backup Wentz last Sunday and would have started had Wentz been out. Ehlinger is tbd. If we lose to the Dolphins and Brissett, and Wentz is the QB that starts, I want the 1st round pick back. Make up an injury, sit him due to bad performance and start Sam when he returns. I don't care. Don't make the same mistake the Texans made.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

He'll get injured enough this season to justify it.

Outside of the torn ACL, how many games per season has he actually missed?  I read somewhere that its pretty low.  A lot lower than people think.  So low that it doesn't support the injury prone moniker he's been given, but I don't know what the number is.

And I think he came back pretty quickly from the ACL since it happened later in that season.  Not many games missed.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Outside of the torn ACL, how many games per season has he actually missed?  I read somewhere that its pretty low.  A lot lower than people think.  So low that it doesn't support the injury prone moniker he's been given, but I don't know what the number is.

And I think he came back pretty quickly from the ACL since it happened later in that season.  Not many games missed.

I posted something I read on twitter a couple days ago....

Its something like Wentz hasn't missed a regular season game due to injury since 2018.   I think he missed 3 gameds in 2017 with ACL and came back to start the 2018 season but left after 11 games due to a fracture in his back.    So he has missed a total of 8 REGULAR season games due to injury since coming into the league in 2016. 

1 hour ago, ColtV said:

If that would be the reason for passing on a qb, then the Colts are in serious trouble! 

We are far too early to make this determination but if it's clear by end of season that Wentz is not the qb for the Colts going forward then Ballard would have to strongly consider a qb in that situation regardless of how he would look.

Honestly my impression of him is that he would not let a past failure like that stop him. 

The point is that Ballard is not going to make that judgement about Wentz after one season where he is playing pretty well.  

And then there would have to be a sure thing rookie QB, that was as least as good as Wentz and NOT injury prone, if there is even a way to measure that.

And then after we take a chance on a Justin Fields, we would still need WRs, TEs, DBs, maybe a LT, and a pass rush anyway.

Trevor Lawrence or Andrew Luck, sure, but this crop of college QBs don't look that good.

I think Wentz is our QB next year unless something really terrible happens injury wise.  I think if we can straighten out the line he will do very well here.  If we find it necessary to find another QB I don’t think we will use the draft since the class is weak.  I would expect a trade for Jimmy G or Mariotta or another veteran quarterback instead.  I still think Wentz is the guy though.

Hard to say at this point.  I agree that this is a substandard QB class.

DRAFTTEK 2022 BIG BOARD

• 1 - Derek Stingley Jr, CB, LSU, 6-1 200#
  • 2 - Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon, 6-5 260#
  • 3 - Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame, 6-4 210#
  • 4 - Evan Neal, OT, Alabama, 6-7 360#
  • 5 - Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma, 6-2 205#
  • 6 - DeMarvin Leal, DL3T, Texas A&M, 6-4 290#
  • 7 - Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida, 6-2 192#
  • 8 - Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina, 6-1 230#
  • 9 - Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC, 6-4 255#
  • 10 - Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State, 6-1 188#
  • 11 - Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State, 6-0 203#
  • 12 - Malik Willis, QB, Liberty, 6-1 215#

I'm not a fan of any of these QB's.  But I could see us drafting a CB if we were to go in the top 10.

35 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Because he's only about 1000% better than Carson Wentz and he'd get this team (assuming the O-Line returns to form) deep into the playoffs, no doubt in my mind.

There's not a whole lot of moves to be made that actually make a difference is the thing some of us aren't grappling with. We're rearranging chairs hoping to be a wild card team every few years as it stands- aren't you tired of that?

This team isn’t good enough for even Rodgers to take them that far. I don’t want another QB that might  only be around for another year. 

Ballard will make changes this off season and five this team another chance with Wentz. 

It hasn’t been just Wentz that is injured. It’s player after player. 

Id be torn on what to do here.  Can we actually get wins with Carson playing this hurt?  We had had several big bounces go our way and still lost by double digits 

0-4 is also a death sentence that teams rarely recover from.  It looks like they will keep playing him hurt and if they lose and give up the pick so be it.  Id be temped to get him healthy 

21 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

I posted something I read on twitter a couple days ago....

Its something like Wentz hasn't missed a regular season game due to injury since 2018.   I think he missed 3 gameds in 2017 with ACL and came back to start the 2018 season but left after 11 games due to a fracture in his back.    So he has missed a total of 8 REGULAR season games due to injury since coming into the league in 2016. 

Yep the only games he missed the last two seasons was last season when they benched him.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This team isn’t good enough for even Rodgers to take them that far. I don’t want another QB that might  only be around for another year. 

Ballard will make changes this off season and five this team another chance with Wentz. 

It hasn’t been just Wentz that is injured. It’s player after player. 

Overall, yes I agree, I think we need a long-term answer to the QB position. Wentz has not been the problem and should be find going forward.

But if you look at what Manning and Brady have been able to do with their respective new teams, it's an intriguing thought. It's a short term situation that could bring in a championship. I consider Aaron Rogers to be in the strata of Manning & Brady. However, I don't consider the colts to be the caliber that Denver/Tampa was/are.

38 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

Yeah right now, I am of the opinion that we should ride Wentz next year too. Our record is not his fault. Of course, we will see how the season plays out. At this point, I say premium position or trade down for more picks. 

Would anyone be open to a trade similar to the Buckner one for a proven player if we have a top 10?

Yes. I'd trade the pick to the Broncos for Courtland Sutton and extend him. That'd give us a bonafide no1 receiver that is 25 years old.

Just now, BlackTiger said:

That is optimistic, he should have been fine in camp too but has battled injures the whole time hes been here 

I understand. And despite his injuries, A) he's played every game; B) he's played well given the circumstances around the poor O-line play.

Just now, Flash7 said:

I understand. And despite his injuries, A) he's played every game; B) he's played well given the circumstances around the poor O-line play.

he was ok on sunday not that great.  Its a pretty big qualifier to say given the circumstances when he probably should have just rested 

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

That is optimistic, he should have been fine in camp too but has battled injures the whole time hes been here 

The entire team has battled injuries. It’s just one of the years. Fans are just going to have to accept  there really is no answers and that we unfortuantly are going to have a year that teams have once in awhile. 

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

The entire team has battled injuries. It’s just one of the years. Fans are just going to have to accept  there really is no answers and that we unfortuantly are going to have a year that teams have once in awhile. 

I think Carson was a mistake tbh, should have gone after Tom, Stafford, Rogers or the draft.  Hes like a lesser version of luck. Always battling injuries, usually plays anyway until its impossible and then we are sunk 

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Draft the best OT. Hard to get those out of the top 10

This.  OTs have become the unicorns in professional football.  The gap between the few who can play the position effectively and the many who cannot is big and getting bigger, IMO.

Nothing else an offense can do matters if they can’t keep guys out of the backfield.

I honestly would rather have average receivers and elite O linemen.  Give the median NFL quarterback and receivers enough time, they’ll make something happen.  Give an elite QB and receivers no time, and they will lose.

That’s how the Chiefs lost the SB to a lesser team.

I don't get why we are already looking to next year's draft talking about possibly drafting a QB.  There's no possible way anyone can know if Wentz can be the guy going forward.  He's got two bum ankles and still running for his life on most drop backs.  No one would be good enough if that's you're only sample size for 3 games.  Get a grip people.

8 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

he was ok on sunday not that great.  Its a pretty big qualifier to say given the circumstances when he probably should have just rested 

The team was 0-2. The Owner, the GM, all of the coaches, and his teammates would rather have their starting QB play through pain than to have a backup that they just elevated off of the practice squad come in and play in such a pivotal game.

In the end, the team still lost. But Hundley was not going to give the Colts a chance. None. You play to win the game and Wentz provided the best chance to win. Even a gimpy Wentz is better than a fully healthy Hundley. 

As far as the team is concerned, if Wentz can play, he will play, despite the loss of next year's first round pick.

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I think Carson was a mistake tbh, should have gone after Tom, Stafford, Rogers or the draft.  Hes like a lesser version of luck. Always battling injuries, usually plays anyway until its impossible and then we are sunk 

I'm piggy backing on the conversation from here.

FWIW I'm totally well aware that a QB change isn't overly likely as it stands now (a guy can dream/advocate). But here's the thing. We're going to call the circumstances for Rodgers to show up not good enough, but also, it's only bad right now because of Injuries.

Stop driving in both lanes! Pick one. Either the roster isn't very good, or it's simply banged up right now. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I'm piggy backing on the conversation from here.

FWIW I'm totally well aware that a QB change isn't overly likely as it stands now (a guy can dream/advocate). But here's the thing. We're going to call the circumstances for Rodgers to show up not good enough, but also, it's only bad right now because of Injuries.

Stop driving in both lanes! Pick one. Either the roster isn't very good, or it's simply banged up right now. 

Well, it could be that the roster is banged up currently and can heal up to improve. However, even at full strength they are not a top-notch group. Not enticing enough to draw Aaron Rogers to join.

So it can be both.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

We're going to call the circumstances for Rodgers to show up not good enough, but also, it's only bad right now because of Injuries.

I doubt hes dying to come here now, that ship has sailed.  I was really hoping they would go after Tom instead of Phil and I really wanted him over Wentz.  Stafford or rogers would have been interesting 

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't get why we are already looking to next year's draft talking about possibly drafting a QB.  There's no possible way anyone can know if Wentz can be the guy going forward.  He's got two bum ankles and still running for his life on most drop backs.  No one would be good enough if that's you're only sample size for 3 games.  Get a grip people.

I agree.  There’s no reason to be talking about moving on from Wentz.

I’m not convinced he’s the guy we want.  But he’s done well enough already and there’s always a huge risk in drafting a QB.  Besides, if Wentz fits the bill well enough, then we should take the chance to address glaring issues we have on the roster.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Kind of early to talk about this, but,

Wentz doesn't seem to be the problem with the O....and college QBs are kind of risky....so I dont think QB.

We just drafted two DLs in the first two rounds last year....and signed our 3T and NT....scratch DL.

We just signed a LB to $60M, so spending high capital on another LB would be overbudget on LBers.....scratch LB.

We have invested a lot in the oline, we can't do another top ten pick unless you want to get rid of Fisher, and he doesn't seem to be the cause of the current oline issues......scratch oline.

That leaves receivers and DBs.....again......and are any of those really worth a top 10 pick?

My thoughts exactly, which is rare between us. 

I think if there is a WR or a DB that is just a stud and worth a top 10, you go there. I mean we have some decent WRs but we need DBs BAD. On the same token, we need a WR that can bust it open no matter what.

if we can’t get that in a top 10 pick, you trade back a few spots, grab what bounty you can and reload 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

He is but he is no closer to being healthy now.  Can we actually win games with him playing like that?  Might take a lot of bounces for that to happen 

I'm curious why you think he's no closer to being healthy? The ankle injuries occurred in game 2 and we are now moving on to game 4. It should get better over time. I don't think he re-injured his ankles. I'm sure he reaggravated them (somewhat) by playing, but they should be better for this week's game compared to last week's, and continually improving.

I always love the Stafford stuff....

Just some basic numbers ...   

Stafford career 62.7% completion percentage 

Wentz career 62.6% completion percentage

Stafford career 274 yards per game

Wentz career  247 yards per game       good advantage here for Stafford

Stafford career  2.01  TD/INT ratio

Wentz career  2.27  TD/INT ratio

Stafford best season QBR was 71.3

Wentz best season QBR was  78.5

Stafford best rating was 106 (before this year)

Wentz best rating was 102.2

The amount of draft capital that we would have to give up for Stafford wouldn't have been worth it IMO.   They are very similar QBs. 

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I'm curious why you think he's no closer to being healthy? 

Thats a good point, sprained ankles dont usually get better by playing on them though.  I have not seen the sack and hit numbers but i noticed he got rocked pretty hard near the end of the game

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I'm curious why you think he's no closer to being healthy? The ankle injuries occurred in game 2 and we are now moving on to game 4. It should get better over time. I don't think he re-injured his ankles. I'm sure he reaggravated them (somewhat) by playing, but they should be better for this week's game compared to last week's, and continually improving.

Reich  did say yesterday he aggravated it some the last drive. He also said he is ahead of where he was last week. He said he should be 100% in a week or two. Hoping for two days of practice this week and back to full practice next week. He said he doesn’t believe he is in a cycle of rehab play rehab.

1 minute ago, NDWentzFan said:

I always love the Stafford stuff....

Just some basic numbers ...   

Stafford career 62.7% completion percentage 

Wentz career 62.6% completion percentage

Stafford career 274 yards per game

Wentz career  247 yards per game       good advantage here for Stafford

Stafford career  2.01  TD/INT ratio

Wentz career  2.27  TD/INT ratio

Stafford best season QBR was 71.3

Wentz best season QBR was  78.5

Stafford best rating was 106 (before this year)

Wentz best rating was 102.2

The amount of draft capital that we would have to give up for Stafford wouldn't have been worth it IMO.   They are very similar QBs. 

Would have much rather had Tom, i think MS would have been a safer choice than CW though 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My thoughts exactly, which is rare between us. 

I think if there is a WR or a DB that is just a stud and worth a top 10, you go there. I mean we have some decent WRs but we need DBs BAD. On the same token, we need a WR that can bust it open no matter what.

if we can’t get that in a top 10 pick, you trade back a few spots, grab what bounty you can and reload 

I don't think college DBs can be relied upon to dominate at the NFL level.  The good ones sort of develop.  WRs have to have all of the measurables and talent to be rewarded with a top 10 pick, IMO.  Tall, fast, physical, good hands and good pattern running.

I'm a stickler.  I think only QBs, LTs, and those rare WRs (or TEs) or EDGE rushers (who have to have ALL of the traits too) should be taken top 10.  

If those players are not there or not needed, trade down.

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Thats a good point, sprained ankles dont usually get better by playing on them though.  I have not seen the sack and hit numbers but i noticed he got rocked pretty hard near the end of the game

These aren't high sprains.  They are roll over sprains, IIRC.  They can get better by resting a few days and don't necessarily get set back unless they are reinjured.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich  did say yesterday he aggravated it some the last drive. He also said he is ahead of where he was last week. He said he should be 100% in a week or two. Hoping for two days of practice this week and back to full practice next week. He said he doesn’t believe he is in a cycle of rehab play rehab.

He got hammered when the game was out of reach at the end.  The cycle of rehab is exactly what im worried about, at least they dont think it will be a problem.  awesome

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think college DBs can be relied upon to dominate at the NFL level.  The good ones sort of develop.  WRs have to have all of the measurables and talent to be rewarded with a top 10 pick, IMO.  Tall, fast, physical, good hands and good pattern running.

I'm a stickler.  I think only QBs, LTs, and those rare WRs (or TEs) or EDGE rushers (who have to have ALL of the traits too) should be taken top 10.  

If those players are not there or not needed, trade down.

I agree with you here mostly because it’s a offensive league. You just don’t see that many really good defenses anymore.

Archived