Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say we end up with a top 10 pick

Patrick Miller

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of early to talk about this, but,

Wentz doesn't seem to be the problem with the O....and college QBs are kind of risky....so I dont think QB.

We just drafted two DLs in the first two rounds last year....and signed our 3T and NT....scratch DL.

We just signed a LB to $60M, so spending high capital on another LB would be overbudget on LBers.....scratch LB.

We have invested a lot in the oline, we can't do another top ten pick unless you want to get rid of Fisher, and he doesn't seem to be the cause of the current oline issues......scratch oline.

That leaves receivers and DBs.....again......and are any of those really worth a top 10 pick?

31 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

.....and we don't lose it to Philly......Would you want the Colts to draft a QB (if there's one worth taking) or stick with Wentz? 

That's a big if, but I think they should draft a QB provided there is a good one available.   Having a QB on his rookie contract for the next few years would be great.  

Besides, how would Ballard look if he just gave up a 3rd rounder and a 2nd rounder, $22M for a QB, and then draft a top 10 QB right after the guy only played one season?

Picking a QB top ten, and then you don't have the second round pick in the same draft because you used it on a QB.

Ballard would look incompetent, like he was just throwing draft picks at players hoping they are good.

He could blame it on Reich begging for Wentz, but that would be a Grigson/Pagano move.

Wentz isn't the problem, but isn't necessarily the long term solution either.  He's injury prone and relies greatly on his mobility.  That's not a good combination.  It means he will always be putting himself in harms way and when injured will only be half the player. 

A 30 something injury prone QB who relies on his mobility is not a good combination.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Besides, how would Ballard look if he just gave up a 3rd rounder and a 2nd rounder, $22M for a QB, and then draft a top 10 QB right after the guy only played one season?

Picking a QB top ten, and then you don't have the second round pick in the same draft because you used it on a QB.

Ballard would look incompetent, like he was just throwing draft picks at players hoping they are good.

He could blame it on Reich begging for Wentz, but that would be a Grigson/Pagano move.

He'll get injured enough this season to justify it.

If the Colts are in the market for a QB after this year and they don't do everything imaginable to get Aaron Rodgers, they're not trying.

There's not going to be a rookie worth the investment from the looks of it right now (Spencer Rattler is a 2nd round guy not a first pick of the draft- and he's not going to make it in the pros, if my eye test is right).

I also think that EastStreet's point to me a few days ago was probably right. The Colts will not try to retain the pick unless Wentz misses games due to further injury. 

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If that would be the reason for passing on a qb, then the Colts are in serious trouble! 

We are far too early to make this determination but if it's clear by end of season that Wentz is not the qb for the Colts going forward then Ballard would have to strongly consider a qb in that situation regardless of how he would look.

Honestly my impression of him is that he would not let a past failure like that stop him. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

The Colts will not try to retain the pick unless Wentz misses games due to further injury. 

Substandard play and a 2-7 record might do it as well.

Unfortunately Rodgers probably isn't coming to a 5-12 team.  

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

We're tied to Wentz to at least end of next season.

And...

He's not our problem

And...

It's a bad QB class

Double check that point, it's not 1000% correct. The Colts can move on after this year- they wouldn't cut him, but they could trade him. I had this back and forth all ready. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

We're tied to Wentz to at least end of next season.

And...

He's not our problem

And...

It's a bad QB class

Agreed. Carson honestly has not been that bad. If he falls off the rails, I see us going FA again for a QB instead of the draft. The upcoming QB class is an absolute mess right now. Spencer Rattler was so bad that his own Oklahoma fans booed him. 

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Substandard play and a 2-7 record might do it as well.

Unfortunately Rodgers probably isn't coming to a 5-12 team.  

This is an ancillary problem when the Colts are bad. Retaining talent get's harder, FA's don't want to show up.. 

They've got to show that parts of the squad aren't crap before the year is done.. 

Im not sold on Wentz ever staying healthy for this team, he hasnt done that since he got here in August. Its also a weak draft class and if a QB did rise to the top then the texans and maybe the lions would want them too

They should have sat CW on sunday, we will need a lot of bounces going our way to win games with him being that limited.  Would be better to get him healthy and get his snap count down

Philly cant say much if they sit him when hes clearly injured 

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This is an ancillary problem when the Colts are bad. Retaining talent get's harder, FA's don't want to show up.. 

They've got to show that parts of the squad aren't crap before the year is done.. 

Largely in the NFL, guys go where they get paid....careers are too short unless you are the top guys at the position, to dictate team just because of preference.  A lot different than the NBA 

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. Carson honestly has not been that bad. If he falls off the rails, I see us going FA again for a QB instead of the draft. The upcoming QB class is an absolute mess right now. Spencer Rattler was so bad that his own Oklahoma fans booed him. 

Wentz is far from bad. He's actually been pretty decent for being among the most pressured/hit QBs in the league. Add in he's been playing injured every game, and it's just not logical to put a lot of blame on him. And while his completion % and quality stats aren't that great, he's only thrown 1 INT, which I don't really fault him for. 

It starts with the OL, which is holding back the entire O. If that improves, the whole machine will run better.

2 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Largely in the NFL, guys go where they get paid....careers are too short unless you are the top guys at the position, to dictate team just because of preference.  A lot different than the NBA 

That's true, but when NFL teams try to open up a window and everyone knows it, some guys do try to show up on those squads... or is that just Suh? 

I'm not saying you get every FA, but quality vets do go ring chasing, that's kind of what I was getting at.

No matter how this season ends they will still be committed to Wentz as the future. To many weird things has happened so far this year. Plus it’s a bad QB class. The goal this year has to get everyone healthy and just build some chemistry for next season. 

if they do somehow get that high of a pick it almost has to be a tackle. Not sure if there is any defensive ends that will be worth anything. Or maybe they look towards a offensive weapon.

I would take a QB. 

The college season is still young and new QB's will emerge.

Take a look at JT Daniels from Georgia.  He's really coming into his own.  He's like a Mac Jones with a stronger arm.

If you decide that the QB class is too weak, then take a LT and come back in 2023 for a QB.

Whatever you do, don't give the pick away to the Eagles.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

.....and we don't lose it to Philly......Would you want the Colts to draft a QB (if there's one worth taking) or stick with Wentz? 

Depends on the QBs available. From the QBs I've watched I don't think any is worth a top 10 pick. I still have to watch several of the QBs with 1st round hype so that might change for me. BUT... in the general sense - YES.... if Ballard and Reich like a QB in the draft they should definitely consider taking him. 

Some might say - well yeah, but we didn't get to see healthy Wentz... and to that I will say - PRECISELY! This was one of the biggest concerns about him and in 3 months with the Colts he's suffered 3 foot injuries and he's declining to get vaccinated during a pandemic with the rules heavily favoring availability for vaccinated players. The ability of Wentz to stay healthy absolutely should be a consideration about whether or not you use a premier pick on a QB. 

Unfortunately I don't think this is going to happen. I think Ballard and Reich will likely just stick with Wentz and hope the whole team is healthier the following year. 

14 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

There's not.  Maybe at 12-15. But no franchise QB in this draft, think EJ Manuel level

That would certainly change my answer.   I would draft a QB only if these is a good one available.   He could sit behind Wentz for a season if Wentz isn't hurt.  

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Why do you want a guy who is close to retiring. Aren’t you  tired of all the QB. We need stability.

Because he's only about 1000% better than Carson Wentz and he'd get this team (assuming the O-Line returns to form) deep into the playoffs, no doubt in my mind.

There's not a whole lot of moves to be made that actually make a difference is the thing some of us aren't grappling with. We're rearranging chairs hoping to be a wild card team every few years as it stands- aren't you tired of that?

Here is the list of all the weird things that have happened since camp. None of things are Wentz fault. Sometimes weird things just happen.

Reich  gets Covid 

Nelson and Wentz miss most of camp 

Kelly misses most of camp 

Then another covid situation hits

Fisher gets covid so isn’t ready game one

injuries just keep happening 

If we secure a top-10 pick and select a QB in the draft then the following would have to be true:

1. Wentz did not play 75% of the snaps (was injured).

2. Colts finished with a poor record to earn a top-10 pick.

3. Hundley, Eason, or Ehlinger (whoever played in Wentz' absence) did not play well, earning a top-10 pick.

Ballard would then not only have done poorly in selecting Wentz as the Colts QB, (giving up draft capital and salary) he would also have done poorly in drafting Eason and Ehlinger (either who were incapable of winning). 

So Ballard would then have to draft another QB.

Archived