Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say we end up with a top 10 pick

Patrick Miller

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think college DBs can be relied upon to dominate at the NFL level.  The good ones sort of develop.  WRs have to have all of the measurables and talent to be rewarded with a top 10 pick, IMO.  Tall, fast, physical, good hands and good pattern running.

I'm a stickler.  I think only QBs, LTs, and those rare WRs (or TEs) or EDGE rushers (who have to have ALL of the traits too) should be taken top 10.  

If those players are not there or not needed, trade down.

I don’t disagree. And the question is let’s say it’s top 5, then what do you do

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BPA at a position of need and roll with Wentz. Too many holes to waste a premium pick on a reach at QB. WR, CB, OT or trade back to accumulate more picks and fill needed holes. Hard to judge Wentz when he’s getting killed every play and absolutely nothing from the run game. The line playing musical chairs doesn’t help either. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

No matter how this season ends they will still be committed to Wentz as the future. To many weird things has happened so far this year. Plus it’s a bad QB class. The goal this year has to get everyone healthy and just build some chemistry for next season. 

if they do somehow get that high of a pick it almost has to be a tackle. Not sure if there is any defensive ends that will be worth anything. Or maybe they look towards a offensive weapon.

I may be mistaken but im pretty sure we can cut Wentz after this season and suffer just a 15M hit for one year.

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t disagree. And the question is let’s say it’s top 5, then what do you do

We are better than a bottom 5 team, when healthy.  

Trade the pick to the one team that's going to love Spencer Rattler, lol.

But that LT from Bama might look great, if Fisher is not the answer.  Kelly will likely be rolling off the high payroll shortly so then we'd have high talent at both LT and RT and one G, kind of how it should be.   If Fisher sticks around (shouldn't ever get top 10 OT money given age and injury, IMO), move Smith into Glow's G position and have the rook play RT for a while.  Pinter or another rookie at C.

Or a NT with a pass rush game could cause Grover to move on.  Suh type of a player.

With primarily a zone based secondary, I just don't think a DB should be taken that high.

And I've already spoken about WR or TE that has to have no weaknesses to his game.  But receivers are risky and top 5 is pretty lofty investment for positions that carry that typical level of risk.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with the three reasons. However, Ballard and Reich have basically admitted they have done poorly drafting Eason considering Hundley beat him out to backup Wentz last Sunday and would have started had Wentz been out. Ehlinger is tbd. If we lose to the Dolphins and Brissett, and Wentz is the QB that starts, I want the 1st round pick back. Make up an injury, sit him due to bad performance and start Sam when he returns. I don't care. Don't make the same mistake the Texans made.

“Make up an injury and sit him due to bad performance?”  :thinking:

1.  Stud safety that can be our new "eraser".  Safety play has been very suspect.

2.  Play making TE.  Not sold on Kylen Granson

3.  Stud Mike LB to go with Darius Leonard

4.  CB.  Xavier Rhodes is starting to miss a lot of playing time due to injury (age)

5.  Play making WR to replace Hilton.

Joseph

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

No kidding.

People act as if there are gobs of upgrades out there at every position, whenever we decide that it would be convenient.

If Wentz wasn’t injured and there were no other injuries to this team and he was just playing bad then ok I could see it. But there are just too many other things going on that have nothing to do with Wentz.

Ballard will probably take a hard look at the roster and try to fix things around him. Whether that be upgraded weapons or something else. 

The key for me is getting this team healthy second half of season and have them build some chemistry for next season. 

15 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

1.  Stud safety that can be our new "eraser".  Safety play has been very suspect.

2.  Play making TE.  Not sold on Kylen Granson

3.  Stud Mike LB to go with Darius Leonard

4.  CB.  Xavier Rhodes is starting to miss a lot of playing time due to injury (age)

5.  Play making WR to replace Hilton.

Joseph

Has Granson even played a regular season game yet?

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Well, it could be that the roster is banged up currently and can heal up to improve. However, even at full strength they are not a top-notch group. Not enticing enough to draw Aaron Rogers to join.

So it can be both.

Who's not a top notch group? If Rodgers does move on I've got a bit of news, he's not going to Kansas City, he's not going to Tampa, he's not going to Dallas, he's not going to Seattle, he's not going to either LA team- there's lot's of places he's not going that might potentially be appealing on paper- I'm telling anyone who'll listen that as of a few weeks ago, the idea that the Colts had put things in place wasn't uncommon. So either they actually suck or they're hurt and potentially could be much better. If it's the latter, Rodgers isn't going to have many spots to go that's obviously better. 

I'm not buying the "it's impossible" argument, because it's not. Unlikely? Fine. Too early to look ahead.. Maybe. But it's not impossible, irrespective of what posters here say.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

I understand. And despite his injuries, A) he's played every game; B) he's played well given the circumstances around the poor O-line play.

I think his injuries should be part of the conversation. This was one of the big knocks on him before we traded for him and it's been a knock on him since he's gotten here. It's not his fault per se, but it's a thing you have to take into account going forward because the way he plays the game is conducive to getting hit and getting injured, which he has plenty in the past and in the present. 

We cannot just wave away the availability concerns. 

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Hard to say at this point.  I agree that this is a substandard QB class.

DRAFTTEK 2022 BIG BOARD

• 1 - Derek Stingley Jr, CB, LSU, 6-1 200#
  • 2 - Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon, 6-5 260#
  • 3 - Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame, 6-4 210#
  • 4 - Evan Neal, OT, Alabama, 6-7 360#
  • 5 - Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma, 6-2 205#
  • 6 - DeMarvin Leal, DL3T, Texas A&M, 6-4 290#
  • 7 - Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida, 6-2 192#
  • 8 - Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina, 6-1 230#
  • 9 - Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC, 6-4 255#
  • 10 - Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State, 6-1 188#
  • 11 - Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State, 6-0 203#
  • 12 - Malik Willis, QB, Liberty, 6-1 215#

I'm not a fan of any of these QB's.  But I could see us drafting a CB if we were to go in the top 10.

I would say Malik Willis ends up being the top qb off the board based on the college season so far. Being at Liberty is going to be the mark against him, but he fits the size profile, great arm velocity and if he stays healthy he's probably going to end up having around 23 starts in the College. 

We can't take a quarterback in this draft, period.

It's not because I love Wentz, or because of the capital we've already given up.

It's because, in grading QBs this season, I don't see a single draft-eligible quarterback in college football that even deserves first round consideration.

The class is garbage, and if we take a quarterback just so we can "move on", we'll end up moving backwards. Start filling other holes. Take a DB like Stingley or Hamilton, or a pass rusher like Thibodeaux or Jackson, and give Wentz another season, potentially looking to replace him if needed in 2023

5 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

.....and we don't lose it to Philly......Would you want the Colts to draft a QB (if there's one worth taking) or stick with Wentz? 

The QB class is pretty terrible in 2022, so I'd rather trade down for a draft haul from a QB needy team, or draft the best non-QB prospect available, preferably at LT, CB, or DE.

25 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

It's not because I love Wentz, or because of the capital we've already given up.

It's because, in grading QBs this season, I don't see a single draft-eligible quarterback in college football that even deserves first round consideration.

The class is garbage, and if we take a quarterback just so we can "move on", we'll end up moving backwards. Start filling other holes. Take a DB like Stingley or Hamilton, or a pass rusher like Thibodeaux or Jackson, and give Wentz another season, potentially looking to replace him if needed in 2023

With as many injuries and weird things that have happened once camp started he really does deserve a do over. Let’s just work on developing a offense for him this year so hopefully next season we can just hit the ground running and hopefully not have any setbacks with team injuries. Dayo will be a full go next season. Paye second year. Ballard can work in the off season and making this team better. 

25 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Yeah.  The question is moot because the QB crop is pretty bad.  I'm sure Ballard noticed this before he made the trade for Wentz.  

Wentz career has been in a steady regression.  Now he shows up and our O line regresses.  Q, our best overall player, gets the same foot injury as Wentz in pre season and then gets injured in season along with Wentz.  Regression seems to be following Wentz around.  If we lose to Miami, I’ll have seen enough. How many more losses in a row will it take?  His current losing streak is 7 or 8 games in a row…. Are people saying we have to let Wentz go 5-12 out of some unwritten code?  Why should we have to let Wentz take this team down with him?  Frank & CB took a shot on trying to fix him.  If it’s clear he’s not the answer, you cut bait before his bad luck infects the entire organization. 

I’m not sure I’m for taking a QB in the 1st next year though.  Sam Ehlinger could be the actual answer to our QB problems.  I’m hoping he gets a shot in the next couple weeks.  If he does and he proves not to be the answer, then I have no problem looking into drafting a Willis, Corral, McCall, Howell, or Rattler.  Daniels & Strong could be possibilities too.  A lot of those names could fall to 2nd round or later.  But I’d honestly rather give one of them a shot and move on from Wentz if he doesn’t show tremendous improvement over the next few weeks. 

25 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Wentz career has been in a steady regression.  Now he shows up and our O line regresses.  Q, our best overall player, gets the same foot injury as Wentz in pre season and then gets injured in season along with Wentz.  Regression seems to be following Wentz around.  If we lose to Miami, I’ll have seen enough. How many more losses in a row will it take?  His current losing streak is 7 or 8 games in a row…. Are people saying we have to let Wentz go 5-12 out of some unwritten code?  Why should we have to let Wentz take this team down with him?  Frank & CB took a shot on trying to fix him.  If it’s clear he’s not the answer, you cut bait before his bad luck infects the entire organization. 

I’m not sure I’m for taking a QB in the 1st next year though.  Sam Ehlinger could be the actual answer to our QB problems.  I’m hoping he gets a shot in the next couple weeks.  If he does and he proves not to be the answer, then I have no problem looking into drafting a Willis, Corral, McCall, Howell, or Rattler.  Daniels & Strong could be possibilities too.  A lot of those names could fall to 2nd round or later.  But I’d honestly rather give one of them a shot and move on from Wentz if he doesn’t show tremendous improvement over the next few weeks. 

I hate the negative, national attention he’s brought to the team. Also tired of Eagles fans acting like they’re Carson fans when in reality they just want that 1st round pick. Don’t care about Hard Knocks. I don’t want this team to be associated with any of that.

So many red flags over the offseason that I tried pushing aside but the issues are flaring up now. Mind-boggling that we’re even in this situation. 

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

I hate the negative, national attention he’s brought to the team. Also tired of Eagles fans acting like they’re Carson fans when in reality they just want that 1st round pick. Don’t care about Hard Knocks. I don’t want this team to be associated with any of that.

So many red flags over the offseason that I tried pushing aside but the issues are flaring up now. Mind-boggling that we’re even in this situation. 

Eagles fans will come to this board and tell us how great Wentz is and we need to be patient and keep playing him.

They are trying to trick us. They just want the 1st round pick.

Colts fans you have been warned!!

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

What negative national attention?   Huh? 

So far, judging by ESPN and NFL.com, we are basically being ignored by the MSM.   Almost no in is talking about us very much.  Who would say something bad about Wentz when the two biggest things he’s done are 1.) rushed himself back from a broken foot.  And 2.).  Rushed himself back and played a week after two sprained ankles. 

The only negative thing he’s done negatively is not get vaccinated.   And while I don’t like it,  it’s not being talked about. 

What are you talking about? 

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. Carson honestly has not been that bad. If he falls off the rails, I see us going FA again for a QB instead of the draft. The upcoming QB class is an absolute mess right now. Spencer Rattler was so bad that his own Oklahoma fans booed him. 

It was a smattering of *s (oops, I mean students).

11 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I would take a QB. 

The college season is still young and new QB's will emerge.

Take a look at JT Daniels from Georgia.  He's really coming into his own.  He's like a Mac Jones with a stronger arm.

If you decide that the QB class is too weak, then take a LT and come back in 2023 for a QB.

Whatever you do, don't give the pick away to the Eagles.

Manning Jr??

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

Curious what's so funny about wanting Rodgers and seeing the Colts actually compete to win something.

There is no way a veteran like Rogers is gonna want to waste a year of his career running for his life behind the Colts wet paper bag of a oline. Also, the Colts have no star skill players. Who is rogers gonna get excited to throw to? Ty will be in a retirement home next year. And as I type this Campbell just went to IR because of a hard sneeze. I guess rogers just targets Pit all game while literally running for his life. (Ballard is too cheap or dumb to sign skill players in the off season, and has 6 more DE to draft next year like always so we don't have the picks) 

Even the so called stars the colts have aren't looking good. Darius and his broke ankle are about useless. And Nelson has a bad back. Rogers isn't going to consider the colts.... Unless he is looking to party with Irsay on the regular. 

5 minutes ago, Ratking said:

There is no way a veteran like Rogers is gonna want to waste a year of his career running for his life behind the Colts wet paper bag of a oline. Also, the Colts have no star skill players. Who is rogers gonna get excited to throw to? Ty will be in a retirement home next year. And as I type this Campbell just went to IR because of a hard sneeze. I guess rogers just targets Pit all game while literally running for his life. (Ballard is too cheap or dumb to sign skill players in the off season, and has 6 more DE to draft next year like always so we don't have the picks) 

Even the so called stars the colts have aren't looking good. Darius and his broke ankle are about useless. And Nelson has a bad back. Rogers isn't going to consider the colts.... Unless he is looking to party with Irsay on the regular. 

this is post of the season material

There is no way in any rational situation that the Colts should be bad enough to "earn" a top ten pick only to convey that to Philly because Carson met the snaps stipulation.  That basically means that the team knew they weren't making the playoffs for at least 2-3 games and still trotted him out there to take meaningless snaps knowing full well what it meant.  If that happens, that would be some next-level, mind boggling franchise mismanagement by Ballard and co that would and should put their competency in running an NFL team into question.

Fortunately, I do not think that will be case as Ballard has shown himself to be an intelligent, big picture thinker in the past.  

If they to get a top 10 pick, I would advocate to going for an elite edge rusher type or game changing type WR.  If there is no one on their board who fits that bill, trade down and stockpile picks (preferably for a later draft)

Archived