Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Developing players.

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I wonder why Ryan Kelly has regressed unless it's purely an injury issue. 

I think it’s most injury issues but we also switched coaches which I think is a bigger cause for concern. We had the best OL and we fired our coach for politics

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think it’s most injury issues but we also switched coaches which I think is a bigger cause for concern. We had the best OL and we fired our coach for politics

Yup. The guy that exuded big-ugly-nasty, and was the guy who quickly figured out and architected an OL rotation that surprised a lot of folks, got can'd for not being nice...... 

so freaking soft..... 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. The guy that exuded big-ugly-nasty, and was the guy who quickly figured out and architected an OL rotation that surprised a lot of folks, got can'd for not being nice...... 

so freaking soft..... 

that’s been my one big complaint thus far under Reich. Like why the hell would you go and do that

Just now, EastStreet said:

so freaking soft..... 

I think we have a soft owner who hires soft people.  I'd like to see some real nasty type of guys on this team.  I get tired of the false Colt character narrative.  The owner was reckless in his personal conduct with his drug and DWI issues, the HOF QB dangled his sack in a trainers' face, and the HOF WR was somehow involved in a murder.

Not saying I know what was going on here, and that these incidents mean they are "bad people" whatever the Heck that means, just saying I think there is this weird righteousness among some fans and this org.  I'd like to see us take a chance on an Antonio Brown and drop the ole character, locker room guy routine.  

I personally never gave a rat's about how nice a guy JB was, he just sucked as a QB.

Look I'm not saying scour the California Penal League for talent, but I wouldn't mind seeing us hire some nasty people for a change. 

I don't care that Dungy was nice, or Caldwell was nice, or Reich is nice.  It's fine to be nice.  I'd rather have donkey orifice as a coach who wins though when rooting on a football team. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I think we have a soft owner who hires soft people.  I'd like to see some real nasty type of guys on this team.  I get tired of the false Colt character narrative.  The owner was reckless in his personal conduct with his drug and DWI issues, the HOF QB dangled his sack in a trainers' face, and the HOF WR was somehow involved in a murder.

Not saying I know what was going on here, and that these incidents mean they are "bad people" whatever the Heck that means, just saying I think there is this weird righteousness among some fans and this org.  I'd like to see us take a chance on an Antonio Brown and drop the ole character, locker room guy routine.  

I personally never gave a rat's about how nice a guy JB was, he just sucked as a QB.

Look I'm not saying scour the California Penal League for talent, but I wouldn't mind seeing us hire some nasty people for a change. 

I don't care that Dungy was nice, or Caldwell was nice, or Reich is nice.  It's fine to be nice.  I'd rather have donkey orifice as a coach who wins though when rooting on a football team. 

Well I would caution . Grigson by all accounts was a horses butt

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

that’s been my one big complaint thus far under Reich. Like why the hell would you go and do that

Don't want to hurt anybody's feelings I guess... lol... 

I'd bet you almost any amount of money that DeGug and Q got along great. Q grew up under a tough OL coach.

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Ballard has said that the locker room can now handle those types of players.

Basically, those types of players need to be held in check by the overwhelming presence of a strong charactered locker room.  Absence that presence, those types of self centered and domineering (that's what they are) personalities become more dominant.

I assume Ballard has stayed away from Brown etc at this point because of talent.

And of course, a player with that kind of personality tends to want freedom in the locker room, so he may not want to join the Colts in the first place.

I would say Kenny Moore is a win for this staff. His play the last few games hasn’t shown it but he can definitely play at a high level in this league. Too early to tell, but Strachan is looking like a positive development. I don’t think he is utilized correctly or enough but MAC has definitely exceeded expectations as some former basketball player making the jump to NFL football. 

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't think Irsay is soft. 

Keep in mind Reich was far from our first choice. He was like our 5th or 6th IIRC... McDaniels was our first choice, and he's not exactly known for nice or soft.

We just signed Sendejo who is not know for nice.

DeGug just doesn't care about kissing booty internally, and has no filter. He's old school, and probably didn't jive with Reich's vibe. Instead of putting up with a successful maverick, they went for the best nice, yes-man they could find.

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

so freaking soft..... 

There must be something about his attitude.   He hasn't lasted more than one season since 2015.   I'm guessing it's a little more than "not being nice"

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There must be something about his attitude.   He hasn't lasted more than one season since 2015.   I'm guessing it's a little more than "not being nice"

He has zero filter. He doesn't coddle players. It's not a secret. At this point he's a gun for hire to be a "fix-it" guy, and has been picked up 3 or so times in-season when OLCs get fired. He's now the OLC at LATech. College is probably where he belongs. Less feelings to worry about from high paid players.

I would say the Colts have been just above average at developing players. You could say that about any good team though. I would say Chiefs are top of the line in that category.

Honestly most of the Colts players have seemed to regress recently.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

He has zero filter. He doesn't coddle players. It's not a secret. At this point he's a gun for hire to be a "fix-it" guy, and has been picked up 3 or so times in-season when OLCs get fired. He's now the OLC at LATech. College is probably where he belongs. Less feelings to worry about from high paid players.

There is a line that he must cross that doesn't sit well with his bosses.   I don't think anyone thinks a guy like Howard Mudd was a soft yes man,   but he was employed for long periods of time without being fired

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Who cares, being him back

Apparently no other NFL team or large University wanted him either

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What are you basing that on?

Mudd hasn't coached since 2012. The entire climate and SOP has shifted since then. 

Just now, twfish said:

He was let go after saying some nasty things to a guy who’s brother died IIRC…. So yea *that guy

There's a lot of debate about what went down. Colts (not DeGug) waived/cut the guy. 

Good podcast (I think JMV) detailing the whole situation.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Mudd hasn't coached since 2012. The entire climate and SOP has shifted since then. 

There's a lot of debate about what went down. Colts (not DeGug) waived/cut the guy. 

Good podcast (I think JMV) detailing the whole situation.

According to Good, he asked Ballard to release him

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard has said that the locker room can now handle those types of players.

Basically, those types of players need to be held in check by the overwhelming presence of a strong charactered locker room.  Absence that presence, those types of self centered and domineering (that's what they are) personalities become more dominant.

I assume Ballard has stayed away from Brown etc at this point because of talent.

And of course, a player with that kind of personality tends to want freedom in the locker room, so he may not want to join the Colts in the first place.

Maybe Ballard yeah, but my point is organization wide for the last 25 years since I converted from a Bears fan to a Colts fan during the playoff game in 95 I think when that fullback had like 200 yds rushing. 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I guess the entire NFL disagrees with you

Not really. He was still hired as stop gap a few times after. The media of coursed turned their outrage machine on both times though.. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

According to Good, he asked Ballard to release him

He did, and it was granted. 

Many however think Good was upset he immediately didn't get his position back. He started one game at RT before he left. Then Smith took over. Keep in mind Good was, and still is, pretty mediocre so pretty clear the better player emerged to win the job.

Also keep in mind that if the action was as egregious as Good said, Colts would have probably fired him in-season. They waited till after the season. 

52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think Irsay is soft. 

Keep in mind Reich was far from our first choice. He was like our 5th or 6th IIRC... McDaniels was our first choice, and he's not exactly known for nice or soft.

We just signed Sendejo who is not know for nice.

DeGug just doesn't care about kissing booty internally, and has no filter. He's old school, and probably didn't jive with Reich's vibe. Instead of putting up with a successful maverick, they went for the best nice, yes-man they could find.

Yeah, I don't think McDaniels was known as being a nice feller.  That is a very good point.  

But I still think the org tends to be kinda soft. 

Archived