Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Houston?

1 hour ago, TonyBungee said:

It looks like Houston is still is FA.  I know he's past his prime, but I thought he was still pretty solid last year.  Do you think the ship has sailed? Or would they consider bringing him back if the $ was right?

I think him being a FA is more due to the cap constraints this year, than his ability. Its necessary for a team right now to go after cheap young players with potential vs more expensive older players that are declining but have good consistency.

My guess is he will have a job by the end of preseason when teams have made their cuts and see where they can add a veteran to improve.

I agree Houston will sign with a team where the injury bug has struck. He’s biding his time until he gets that phone call. But I highly doubt he’s with the Colts at any time this year. They are committed to their younger, less expensive players. As they should be. 

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other but I am not sure why anyone would be against bringing him back for 1 more year if it is cheap. You can never have enough quality pass rushers and in a limited role he would still be able to rush the passer effectively. Just because Houston re-signs doesn't mean the younger guys still wouldn't play more.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

There will always be a need for a pass rusher, even one that is nearing the end

In camp some team will have an injury, and Houston will get a call

I dont think THAT team will be the Colts

It probably won't be but if it is I would be happy about it. I still can't figure out why so many people in here are against him coming back. Makes no sense to me. He was good last year, definitely above average at worse. He can still rush the passer on an above average level and would be good being fresh in a limited role. Let the young guys play, I agree but you can never have enough quality pass rushers. Ask the Bucs about that, they mauled Mahomes in the SB throwing all kinds of guys/pressure at him, that was the difference.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It probably won't be but if it is I would be happy about it. I still can't figure out why so many people in here are against him coming back. Makes no sense to me. He was good last year, definitely above average at worse. He can still rush the passer on an above average level and would be good being fresh in a limited role. Let the young guys play, I agree but you can never have enough quality pass rushers. Ask the Bucs about that, they mauled Mahomes in the SB throwing all kinds of guys/pressure at him, that was the difference.

Justin isnt the player he was in the past, stil can contribute, but is sliding

He started out hot then dropped way off

Many games he was getting ONE tackle all game long.....

The guy filled a role, for a few years, but father time always wins

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Justin isnt the player he was in the past, stil can contribute, but is sliding

He started out hot then dropped way off

Many games he was getting ONE tackle all game long.....

The guy filled a role, for a few years, but father time always wins

Watch him go somewhere like Tampa Bay or back to KC for only 4 Mill or so and still have like 4 or 5 sacks and make key tackles in certain games and helps them win a SB. Of course he isn't the player he once was, he's 32 but he can still have a few good games.

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Watch him go somewhere like Tampa Bay or back to KC for only 4 Mill or so and still have like 4 or 5 sacks and make key tackles in certain games and helps them win a SB. Of course he isn't the player he once was, he's 32 but he can still have a few good games.

Every snap JH plays is a snap that a young DE doesn’t take.  Hard to see what the kids can do if they’re behind JH on the depth chart.    

Also,  there’s nothing stopping any team from signing JH right now.  He’s been available for basically a month.   So, what’s stopping him.

It’s money.   $$$$

No one is meeting Houston’s asking price.  That should tell you something.  We wanted him, but at our number, not his.   He’s counting on some good DE getting hurt so he can sign late.   He’d get his money and avoid most of pre-season.  

Thus isn’t as black and white as some might think…….. 

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe

If we played Paye nearly every down, he should get 4 or 5 sacks (Im hoping for 9-10 sacks).... and he learns the spot, and is a little more ready for the next year......  AND step to develop cant come from watching and practicing.... he needs to play

If we play Dayo in November, he should get 1-2 sacks (Im hoping for 3-4)..... and he learns the spot, and is a little more ready for next year......  and the rest is same as Paye...     Dayo needs to play

I personally have VERY high hopes that THIS is the year Turay stays healthy and takes off.... we HAVE to see what we have here.

There were downs that he just blew by the OT.... The skills and talent are there...... We just need to see more of them

Then you have Tyquan Lewis.... who had 4 sacks on a rotational basis......  He will see the field, much more and I think that he is FINALLY ready to take the next step.

Lastly,  If Banagu doesnt step it up, he may get cut in CAMP.

Not sure what to think of him,

But to the OP, lets see what we have with the young'uns

On 7/2/2021 at 11:04 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They is no getting through to you on Houston that is for sure.
 A strange take you have on the SB where KC had stinko backups at both tackle spots and they failed miserably. Can't at all say it was the "all kinds of guys/pressure" that was why the rush worked.
 For me, i would have dumped Houston for this reason. He was way to exploitable covering the flats. There are of course 2-3 more understandable reasons.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

They is no getting through to you on Houston that is for sure.
 A strange take you have on the SB where KC had stinko backups at both tackle spots and they failed miserably. Can't at all say it was the "all kinds of guys/pressure" that was why the rush worked.
 For me, i would have dumped Houston for this reason. He was way to exploitable covering the flats. There are of course 2-3 more understandable reasons.

Guaranteed someone picks him up and pays him reasonably good. When that happens I will be sure to bring it up haha 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am good either way, I look at Dayo's injury and who knows when he will back for example. I like having depth is all. I am not a believer in Banagu either being on the good level as a football player. I hope he proves me wrong and has a solid season.

Focus on the names you didn’t mention.

Paye, Lewis, Turay, Rochelle.

Notice I didn’t mention Dayo.   I don’t expect anything from him until November at the earliest.   If he contributes before that,  it’s a bonus.   So Benagu is 5th on the rotation as of now.  

On 7/4/2021 at 12:04 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Focus on the names you didn’t mention.

Paye, Lewis, Turay, Rochelle.

Notice I didn’t mention Dayo.   I don’t expect anything from him until November at the earliest.   If he contributes before that,  it’s a bonus.   So Benagu is 5th on the rotation as of now.  

I know most of you know this already, but sometimes my pretty good brain just doesn’t work quite as well as it once did. 

I knew I was forgetting someone.   From the whoops file, I give you.    AQM….    Muhammed had a couple of sacks in spot duty and is only 26.    I think that depth looks a little better now.  

Sometimes……..      :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know most of you know this already, but sometimes my pretty good brain just doesn’t work quite as well as it once did. 

I knew I was forgetting someone.   From the whoops file, I give you.    AQM….    Muhammed had a couple of sacks in spot duty and is only 26.    I think that depth looks a little better now.  

Sometimes……..      :facepalm:

No worries, I pretty much think we will be fine on our D.Line. I think my main point about Houston was, he is a proven Vet that still has a little left and brings more depth.

On 7/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No worries, I pretty much think we will be fine on our D.Line. I think my main point about Houston was, he is a proven Vet that still has a little left and brings more depth.

He clearly can no longer RUN with the big dogs.
  Ballard rcently talked about the minimum measureables he requires to make someone draftable. I do not believe Houston was close enough to those speed numbers to be able to chase around at the minimum levels that are required for this defense. 

Archived