Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper Mock Draft 4.0

So his new mock is out. I don't have insider. Could someone post his full mock (not just Colts?)

Round 2

Pick Team Player Position School 33 St. Louis Jerel Worthy DT Michigan St. Solid on the edges, the Rams need help on the interior. Worthy fits the scheme as a run-stuffer with upside. 34 Indianapolis Kendall Reyes DL Connecticut The need for pass-catching options is here, but Reyes is a tremendous value at a position of dire need. 35 Minnesota Harrison Smith S Notre Dame The Vikings are desperate for immediate help at safety, and Smith will pick things up quickly. 36 Tampa Bay Lavonte David LB Nebraska Slightly undersized, David is an elite playmaker and would go much higher if he measured out at a more conventional size. 37 Cleveland Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma St. Cincy drafted a ready-to-play QB at a similar spot last year, and the Browns can get Weeden to push Colt McCoy. 38 Jacksonville A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois The Jags should get at least one wide receiver out of this draft class. They start with Jenkins, a riser on my board. 39 St. Louis (from Wash) Mike Adams OT Ohio St. Reaping benefits from the trade with Washington, the Rams will get a potential future LT with Adams. 40 Carolina Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama Questions will follow him, but they aren't about his talent. Jenkins is a major steal here based on the tape. 41 Buffalo Brian Quick WR Appalachian St. A favorite of mine, Quick has big-time size and can stretch the field. Buffalo lacks a true deep threat. 42 Miami Andre Branch DE Clemson A great fit in Miami's adjusted scheme, Branch offers late-first-round value at this spot. 43 Seattle Ronnell Lewis LB Oklahoma His production dipped some in 2011, but Lewis could start as a situational pass-rusher and become more. 44 Kansas City Devon Still DT Penn St. At one time a Big Board regular, Still fell some, but will still be considered a first-round value on some boards. 45 Dallas Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin Would be the top guard in the draft class in some years. If Dallas doesn't go DeCastro early, Zeitler fits here. 46 Philadelphia Zach Brown LB North Carolina A great athlete who can fill a big need at linebacker for the Eagles. Even with DeMeco Ryans, they need help. 47 New York Jets Bobby Massie OT Mississippi This is a need spot for the Jets, and Massie is a really good value this far down the board. 48 New England (from Oak) Josh Robinson CB Central Florida He needs polish, but Robinson -- who might be the fastest player in the draft -- has a ton of upside. 49 San Diego Doug Martin RB Boise St. A player who can do it all, Martin is the ideal pick to deepen the backfield and to use on third downs. 50 Chicago Rueben Randle WR LSU A steal here, Randle is a great size/speed combination for the Bears to develop. Didn't show all he has at LSU. 51 Philadelphia (from Ariz) Dwayne Allen TE Clemson My top tight end for much of the year, Allen didn't test well, but he's there on tape. 52 Tennessee Vinny Curry DE Marshall Another player who could be a Round 1 guy on some boards, Curry can provide rush help early on. 53 Cincinnati Brandon Taylor S LSU I have safety as a top need, and Taylor wasn't a huge drop-off from Mark Barron if you ask SEC coaches. 54 Detroit Trumaine Johnson CB Montana One of the more underrated players in the draft, Johnson dominated at Montana. Detroit has a huge need here. 55 Atlanta Jeff Allen OT Illinois The Falcons have a need here, and Allen could help early on the right side with upside at left. 56 Pittsburgh Kelechi Osemele OL Iowa St. A versatile player, teams will try Osemele at tackle, but I like him more as a potentially dominant guard. 57 Denver LaMichael James RB Oregon Would be a great fit in Denver, and people forget how much Peyton Manning loves to throw to backs. 58 Houston Dwight "Bill" Bentley CB Louisiana-Lafayette Another burner who flew under the radar this year, Bentley can start covering the slot. -- New Orleans (forfeited) The Saints lost this pick as a part of the NFL's punishment given the recent mess. 59 Green Bay Jared Crick DL Nebraska A poor man's J.J. Watt, Crick is a penetrator with enough size to play DE in a 3-4. Will help the pass rush. 60 Baltimore Terrell Manning LB N.C. State They lost another good OLB this offseason, and Manning makes sense as a reinforcement. 61 San Francisco Brandon Brooks OG Miami (Ohio) The 49ers have tried to help the passing game, but this is still a team that needs to pound up front. 62 New England Amini Silatolu OG Midwestern St. Bill Belichick will never neglect the offensive line, and I have guard as a need for New England. 63 New York Giants David Wilson RB Virginia Tech They lose Brandon Jacobs, but Wilson will bring some power of his own, with a lot more explosiveness.

Oh. I still woudn't want him there. a DE is the least of our worries, he's not even BPA. A WR or TE or CB.

I'd prefer to see us take jenkins if fleener doesn't fall (and I dont' think he will with the pats success with multiple TE formations) How about H. Smith out of Notre darn?

I think if we want to go WR in round 2, the best bet would be trade back towards the end of round 2 and take randle out of LSU.

I'd prefer to see us take jenkins if fleener doesn't fall (and I dont' think he will with the pats success with multiple TE formations) How about H. Smith out of Notre darn?

I think if we want to go WR in round 2, the best bet would be trade back towards the end of round 2 and take randle out of LSU.

We just signed SS Tom Zbikowski, also out of ND. No need to reach for a mid round talent that we don't need.

i actually like the don't mind the pick at all. people have been complaining about the size of the colts for years..yet most everyone who does a mock doesn't touch the trenches till the 4th or 5th round. having said that....jenkins would be tough to pass on at 34.

Gotta Disagree. Reeyes has been a late 1st early 2nd pick for a while. Would be a great addition to the Dline.

I never said Reyes was a bad player. I said we don't need a DE. We have Redding, and Nevis and Muir and Moala will compete for the last DE spot. Would rather a TE, WR, CB, OG, or even an OLB like Zachary Brown over a DE.

Ashlon Jeffery, Tommy Streeter still there for 3rd round WR. Olson for TE, Boykin and Fleming for CB. Interesting. Happy NT is off the early round list of needs

ITS ALSHON. Everyone keeps spelling it ashlon! He won't be there.

We just can't count on Avery to be something he hasn't been...healthy. I think we need to grab 2 receivers in this draft. Next year's draft may not be as good as this one, so we need to get them now. I say we grab one of those good WR's in the 2nd round. I think Pagano's defensive scheme might allow for middle of the road paid vets to succeed somewhat this year, but on the offensive side, we have almost nothing.

ITS ALSHON. Everyone keeps spelling it ashlon! He won't be there.

I miss spelled his name. Pretty sure you knew who I meant. I agree with you that he wont be there in the third. I was simply saying that in Kiper's mock, he would be along with the others mentioned. No need to get all capslock. :dunno:

I miss spelled his name. Pretty sure you knew who I meant. I agree with you that he wont be there in the third. I was simply saying that in Kiper's mock, he would be along with the others mentioned. No need to get all capslock. :dunno:

Sorry. Not angry at you, just everyone misspells his name Ashlon Jeffries. And FYI I used shift not caps lock :P and it's misspelled not miss spelled lol I kid I kid. Yes I don't think Kipers mock Is believable.

We just can't count on Avery to be something he hasn't been...healthy. I think we need to grab 2 receivers in this draft. Next year's draft may not be as good as this one, so we need to get them now. I say we grab one of those good WR's in the 2nd round. I think Pagano's defensive scheme might allow for middle of the road paid vets to succeed somewhat this year, but on the offensive side, we have almost nothing.

The beautiful thing about drafts is that even though we may not get a stud receiver this year or next, we'll get a stud something else ideally.

It is interesting to see what Mel thinks. With the NFL people he gets to talk to he is generally fairly accurate. I am surprised about where he has some of these guys going in the 2nd as I keep reading how some of them are sure fire first rounders.

I have actually read some great things about Reyes, and I have seen numerous mock drafts that have him going to the Patriots. That being said, I actually feel that Fili Moala is better served as a 3/4 End. I am uncertain about whether Nevis can handle being an End but we do have Redding.

If this scenario plays out, I would rather take Mike Adams from Ohio State. I am not sold on Winston Justice at OT. Adams could be a beast at right tackle and we would have bookends for the next decade. Put Ijalana at guard and try Justice at the other guard. Keep Luck upright, that should be the motto of the offense this season and Adams will help make that happen.

I never said Reyes was a bad player. I said we don't need a DE. We have Redding, and Nevis and Muir and Moala will compete for the last DE spot. Would rather a TE, WR, CB, OG, or even an OLB like Zachary Brown over a DE.

The Colts need everything... and if Reyes is a player then take him. That would turn Indy's DL into a strength all of a sudden.

Kiper has Jefferey and Toon both falling into the third round, if this comes to be I would be thrilled to get either of these 2 in the third round.

Luck, Reyes, and AJ or Toon in the first 3 rounds would be a HOME RUN draft weekend.

"Who the he!! is Mel Kiper Junior?" What a classic line.

Anyway, my pick would be Reuben Randle (if Fleener is already gone).

Kinda interesting that he has Brian Quick going off the board before Randle. Hmmm.....

The whole insider thing is such a pain in the butt!

Why not , if available at #34, draft a RB Doug Martin. They say he is a Ray Rice type running back and Pagano might like to have that potential again at the RB position.

cause he's a running back

The whole insider thing is such a pain in the butt!

Why not , if available at #34, draft a RB Doug Martin. They say he is a Ray Rice type running back and Pagano might like to have that potential again at the RB position.

No way we waste the #34 on a RB ... we have too many other needs, and decent RBs can be found throughout the later rounds and even UDFA

This is an interesting thought from ESPN Insider about Nose Tackles in the draft. Brandon Thompson from Clemson is actually the third DT mentioned but Muench (the author) mentions the Colts as a good fit for him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft/id/7778503/2012-nfl-draft-plenty-quality-nose-tackles-available

Nose tackles hard to find, but not in 2012 in.gif

April, 5, 2012

Apr 5

11:28

AM ET

By Steve Muench

Brandon Thompson, Clemson (85)

Thompson (6-2, 311) is capable of developing into an effective nose tackle regardless of the front. He has the first-step quickness and violent hands (35 bench reps at the combine) to excel in a penetrating one-gap scheme, as well as the power base and instincts to thrive in a two-gap scheme. His willingness to do the dirty work isn't a concern because he doesn't give up when two teams commit two blockers to him.

Thompson would be an interesting addition for the Indianapolis Colts with the 34th overall pick. That might be a bit of a reach based on his 2011 tape, but Thompson flashed first-round potential in 2010. New head coach Chuck Pagano and new defensive coordinator Greg Manusky have backgrounds in 3-4 defenses and will transition to that scheme, but Manusky has made it clear he will put his players in the best position to succeed, and Thompson's versatility could help make that transition smoother.

This is an interesting thought from ESPN Insider about Nose Tackles in the draft. Brandon Thompson from Clemson is actually the third DT mentioned but Muench (the author) mentions the Colts as a good fit for him.

http://insider.espn....ckles-available

Nose tackles hard to find, but not in 2012 in.gif

April, 5, 2012

Apr 5

11:28

AM ET

By Steve Muench

Brandon Thompson, Clemson (85)

Thompson (6-2, 311) is capable of developing into an effective nose tackle regardless of the front. He has the first-step quickness and violent hands (35 bench reps at the combine) to excel in a penetrating one-gap scheme, as well as the power base and instincts to thrive in a two-gap scheme. His willingness to do the dirty work isn't a concern because he doesn't give up when two teams commit two blockers to him.

Thompson would be an interesting addition for the Indianapolis Colts with the 34th overall pick. That might be a bit of a reach based on his 2011 tape, but Thompson flashed first-round potential in 2010. New head coach Chuck Pagano and new defensive coordinator Greg Manusky have backgrounds in 3-4 defenses and will transition to that scheme, but Manusky has made it clear he will put his players in the best position to succeed, and Thompson's versatility could help make that transition smoother.

At 34 it would be a reach to draft him, if he is available in the fourth round, I dont see why we wouldn't draft him.

Muir is on the packers now