Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have a top-5 Defense

Lucky Colts Fan

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-nfl-defenses-for-the-2020-season

Colts come in with the 5th-best ranked defense in the NFL.

Here's another team achieving at a top-seven-or-better rate in key categories. Indianapolis ranks fourth in interception rate, fifth in yards per game, and seventh in rushing yards per game and passing yards per game. The Colts also are tied for sixth in the league in completion percentage allowed over expectation at -1.4 percent. Their pressure numbers aren't quite as strong (10th in sacks per attempt, for example), but the Colts are downright nasty when it comes to defending the run.

Indianapolis has allowed 131 yards less than expected in 2020, the second-best total in the entire league, and is fourth in rushing yards over expectation allowed at half a yard less per carry than expected. The Colts close on ball-carriers quickly and shut down running lanes just as they're opening, producing the league's fifth-best 10-plus-yard run percentage allowed at just 9.5 percent. This helps explain their standing among the top seven in the aforementioned categories. We can point to the addition of DeForest Buckner as a major reason for this excellence.

If there's one weakness, it's in getting off the field. Indianapolis is near the middle of the pack in third-down percentage and even worse in red-zone percentage (tied for 22nd). Still, the Colts rank 10th in points allowed per game, telling us that while they aren't the best at keeping opponents from scoring once they near the end zone, they're very good at keeping them from racking up trips to the red zone.

I know some people don't like the scheme the Colts are running defensively, but you can't argue with results.

We're top-10 in some of the most important statistical categories:  points allowed per game, total yds allowed per game, rush yds allowed per game, pass yds allowed per game, sacks and interceptions.

If we can get our run game going, that will be the perfect recipe for success in December and January:  Run The Damn Ball And Play Defense.

We've been fading since we started playing better competition. We were 1-3 in most categories the first 3rd of the season, but now are on the edge overall (#5 total yards). We've dropped to #8 in passing yards per game, and 7th in rushing yards per game. the most disturbing drop is we're now 10th in PPG given up. Still very good, just not elite like was bounced around early.

I don't think we'll drop much more (maybe to 8 to 10ish overall, but we do play a good passing O (Houston) again, and two teams good at running the ball (TN and LVR).  Pitt is pretty good passing, not very good rushing. They are however, like TN, top 10 in PPG. LVR is 11th. Jax is bottom half of the league in all O categories IIRC, but they have kept games close. 4 of their 5 losses in the last 5 games were by 4 or less points.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We've been fading since we started playing better competition. We were 1-3 in most categories the first 3rd of the season, but now are on the edge overall (#5 total yards). We've dropped to #8 in passing yards per game, and 7th in rushing yards per game. the most disturbing drop is we're now 10th in PPG given up. Still very good, just not elite like was bounced around early.

I don't think we'll drop much more (maybe to 8 to 10ish overall, but we do play a good passing O (Houston) again, and two teams good at running the ball (TN and LVR).  Pitt is pretty good passing, not very good rushing. They are however, like TN, top 10 in PPG. LVR is 11th. Jax is bottom half of the league in all O categories IIRC, but they have kept games close. 4 of their 5 losses in the last 5 games were by 4 or less points.

A big issue with our rankings now came from the Tennessee game. It’s like scoring an A on every test all year, then suddenly getting an F. That’s going to kill your grade. 

The fact I just said that makes me sad. 

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

A big issue with our rankings now came from the Tennessee game. It’s like scoring an A on every test all year, then suddenly getting an F. That’s going to kill your grade. 

The fact I just said that makes me sad. 

It's not just the TN game. Heck, we just gave up 340ish to Watson and 310ish to AR. We're just lucky they couldn't capitalize.

Pass D is just not that good. And our scheme actually is OK with giving up yards, just not scores, which is another reason I thought our early passing D ranks would fade anyway.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

It's not just the TN game. Heck, we just gave up 340ish to Watson and 310ish to AR. We're just lucky they couldn't capitalize.

Pass D is just not that good. And our scheme actually is OK with giving up yards, just not scores, which is another reason I thought our early passing D ranks would fade anyway.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying the TN game didn't do us any favors in any defensive catagory.

12 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I know some people don't like the scheme the Colts are running defensively, but you can't argue with results.

I'm often amused by comments that a defense is good or poor based solely on the scheme being run.

In 1985, the Bears had an historic defense, running their vaunted 46 Defense.  Also, they had Mike Singletary, Wilbur Marshall, Richard Dent, Steve McMichael, Gary Fencik...

In 1986, the Giants had an historic defense, running a 3-4.  Also, they had Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Harry Carson, Leonard Marshall...

In 2000, the Ravens had an historic defense, running a standard 4-3.  Also, they had Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Jamie Sharper, Chris McAllister, Rod Woodson...

In 2002, the Bucs ran the table with their signature Tampa-2.  Also, they had Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, John Lynch, Booger McFarland...

This just in -- It's not just the scheme.  It's the number of quality players you have, and whether or not you are taking advantage of their particular skill sets in your scheme.

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm often amused by comments that a defense is good or poor based solely on the scheme being run.

In 1985, the Bears had an historic defense, running their vaunted 46 Defense.  Also, they had Mike Singletary, Wilbur Marshall, Richard Dent, Steve McMichael, Gary Fencik...

In 1986, the Giants had an historic defense, running a 3-4.  Also, they had Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Harry Carson, Leonard Marshall...

In 2000, the Ravens had an historic defense, running a standard 4-3.  Also, they had Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Jamie Sharper, Chris McAllister, Rod Woodson...

In 2002, the Bucs ran the table with their signature Tampa-2.  Also, they had Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, John Lynch, Booger McFarland...

This just in -- It's not just the scheme.  It's the number of quality players you have, and whether or not you are taking advantage of their particular skill sets in your scheme.

Plus you have to look at the depth of the team. Is there a huge drop off in talent between the starters and the 2nd and 3rd tier guys?  That is what happened to the Colts when we were under Grigson. There was no talent past the starters. 

I agree 100% with what you are saying. No matter what defense you are playing it's always comes down to having the players to pull it off.

16 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

100% Agree. Position of the defense YoY has followed level of players. If you look position by position, we had a upgrade in almost all starters

DT - DBuck, Grover (sef-evident)
DE - Tyquan improved, I think back up rotation also improved
LB - same group, was already a good one
CB - Xavier improved CB1, Kenny continues and Carrie is a better back up in all spots (I personaly think he's better than RYS)
S - Blackmon (self-evident, Hooker is gone)

Better players, almost all phases.

10 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

100% Agree. Position of the defense YoY has followed level of players. If you look position by position, we had a upgrade in almost all starters

DT - DBuck, Grover (sef-evident)
DE - Tyquan improved, I think back up rotation also improved
LB - same group, was already a good one
CB - Xavier improved CB1, Kenny continues and Carrie is a better back up in all spots (I personaly think he's better than RYS)
S - Blackmon (self-evident, Hooker is gone)

Better players, almost all phases.

Yup.  To your point - we ran the same scheme this year as we did last year.  But we added better players.  And our defense improved YoY.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

They are a bit fortunate they haven’t dropped lower...because of the terrible starts...and because some of incredibly opportune TOs by the offense.

The D gets a lot of credit for their 2nd half adjustments and play in recent games...but it’s almost amazing how the opposing team sort of forgets how to play offense...and in some cases STs as well. CIN, TEN (1st game), GB and HOU...scored a combined 6 points in the 2nd half. I would love to see what the expected point differential or expect W/L out of that sample...all 4 wins.

It is not really a viable strategy...as we saw in the TEN game. Let’s hope it’s not a trend that continues.

12 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

They just to be more consistent 

1st half is garbage 

2nd half is fantastic 

I don't care where we rank, it's a meaningless STAT, exactly because of that.  In a few games (Ravens, Titans?) their offense played more conservative because they were leading and more interested in eating up clock.  And let's not forget game one where we held the Jags to one incompletion. 

So you put in those great second halfs, great games against bad teams, and some conservative play by the winning team, and it adds up to a STAT.  I swear some people don't watch the games, they just look at the box score.

The D doesn't have to be great, and it's not.  It is good and can be good enough if the offense can sustain drives.

I had hoped coming into the season that the defense would be average or above average.  They have exceeded my expectations.

A lot of stats are misleading though.  The number of turnovers is great and that stands alone without too much nuance.  But does anyone have the yards per drive and points per drive stats?  I got them from Football Outsiders in years past, but it looks like it's behind a paywall now.  I feel those numbers usually tell a more complete story, as they eliminate skewing from pace of play and game scripts somewhat.

Either way, the defense has proven to be good overall, and they have made big plays at crucial times on multiple occasions so far.

8 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Oh, I know. I'm just saying the TN game didn't do us any favors in any defensive catagory.

Yup. I've said for a while we're top 10ish, probably not top 5ish, and certainly not top 2ish (which a lot of people were buying into earlier). Just the fact our scheme is "fine with passing yards" or bend don't break, was a big reason I thought the early stats were a product of competition. Still, our D is much better than in the past. Our pressure and hurry numbers are pretty darn good even though we don't blitz a lot. I just think our DBs are still a bit overrated. The fact were 10ish in points allowed per game, and still have to play Pitt and LVR, and Houston again, is a bit concerning. I'm much more confident in our run D. Only LVR is good at running though, so that rank should remain pretty high.

7 hours ago, shasta519 said:

They are a bit fortunate they haven’t dropped lower...because of the terrible starts...and because some of incredibly opportune TOs by the offense.

The D gets a lot of credit for their 2nd half adjustments and play in recent games...but it’s almost amazing how the opposing team sort of forgets how to play offense...and in some cases STs as well. CIN, TEN (1st game), GB and HOU...scored a combined 6 points in the 2nd half. I would love to see what the expected point differential or expect W/L out of that sample...all 4 wins.

It is not really a viable strategy...as we saw in the TEN game. Let’s hope it’s not a trend that continues.

I think some of the teams got conservative too in the 2nd half, which made it easier on our D. But yes, STs have helped, and some of the Os self destructed a bit. I know we're capable of being better, just tired of 1H no shows. Thankfully our O has been able to carry us, or keep us in things when the D has struggled.

Archived