Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Stanton The Next Painter?

jemack

I understand that the Colts don't want Luck to walk into a Qb controversy haha with Orvlovsky going 2-1 last year, but to let him walk and trade for an inferior player in Stanton is questionable to me. Let's face it, both are career back ups iMO, but Orlovsky has had better success. Could it be the Colts didn't learn from last year's misery. Should Luck get injured this team needs a stable back up so they may continue to compete and Orvlovsky was the safest bet. IMO of course.

Well, I certainly do not know where you're getting that Stanton is an "inferior player". Stanton was a 2nd rd. pick and has played well in the few opportunities he has gotten for the Lions. Orlovsky is a 7 yr. vet that won his 1st game ever last season, and thinking there was going to be a QB controversy if Orlovsky stayed is downright comical.

I understand that the Colts don't want Luck to walk into a Qb controversy haha with Orvlovsky going 2-1 last year, but to let him walk and trade for an inferior player in Stanton is questionable to me. Let's face it, both are career back ups iMO, but Orlovsky has had better success. Could it be the Colts didn't learn from last year's misery. Should Luck get injured this team needs a stable back up so they may continue to compete and Orvlovsky was the safest bet. IMO of course.

Don’t forget that Orlovsky was a big part of the 0-16 Lions so I don’t know that I would classify him as a better choice than Stanton. jmo

Don’t forget that Orlovsky was a big part of the 0-16 Lions so I don’t know that I would classify him as a better choice than Stanton. jmo

True, but showed alot of promise last year. I'm thinking the Colts let go all imcumbents to avoid any seniority complex at the Qb position, no matter the talent

Well, I certainly do not know where you're getting that Stanton is an "inferior player". Stanton was a 2nd rd. pick and has played well in the few opportunities he has gotten for the Lions. Orlovsky is a 7 yr. vet that won his 1st game ever last season, and thinking there was going to be a QB controversy if Orlovsky stayed is downright comical.

1) Orvlovsky has more career wins and better career stats.

2) The controversy part was a joke, thus the ...haha.

Well, he was a 2nd round pick by Matt Millen, so...

But I agree, he's a huge upgrade over Painter. Preseason may actually be bearable this year.

Well, he was a 2nd round pick by Matt Millen, so...

But I agree, he's a huge upgrade over Painter. Preseason may actually be bearable this year.

Yes, he may be an upgrade to Painter, but IMO a downgrade from Orvlovsky which most on this board wanted to start earlier last season AND wouldn't have mind him backing up Luck. What has Stanton done in the NFL other than get drafted in 2nd round?

Yes, he may be an upgrade to Painter, but IMO a downgrade from Orvlovsky which most on this board wanted to start earlier last season AND wouldn't have mind him backing up Luck. What has Stanton done in the NFL other than get drafted in 2nd round?

Neither have a body of work to make a real difference. Here's what Stanton did the last time he played:

"During the 2010 season, Drew Stanton saw action again as Matt Stafford and Shaun Hill went down with injuries. He came in as relief for Shaun Hill against the Giants and went 19 for 34 for 222 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He made his second career start against the Bears in week 13 and went 16 for 24 for 178 yards and one touchdown. He started the next game against the Green Bay Packers and lead the Lions to a victory with a 13 yard TD pass to Will Heller. Drew also got the Lions their first road win in over 3 years, leading them to a 23-20 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

Not bad when given the chance.

I think Stanton is better than Painter. Also, the offense last year was made for Peyton and the coaching staff didn't look like they made many adjustments to it for Curtis. I think the current coaching staff has a better idea of how to run the offense so that if something does happen to Luck, a guy with a reasonable amount of practice reps can get in and do decently.

Most on this board also wanted Painter to start earlier than he did. I wouldn't put much stock in that, and I think some people are getting a little overexcited about Orlovsky's 2 career wins.

Last years highlights = Orlovsky's 2 career wins and our punter.

Most on this board also wanted Painter to start earlier than he did. I wouldn't put much stock in that, and I think some people are getting a little overexcited about Orlovsky's 2 career wins.

As I recall most thought Orlovsky had the better preseason. I know Reggie wanted Painter to start FWIW.

I don't see anyone getting overexited over 2 wins.... To me, Orvlovsky is a better QB

I am not sure if anyone could be the net Curtis Painter.

I don't think that guy was ready to ever go in and play a game in the NFL. It seemed to me that he knew he had Peyton in front of him and he was mainly a guy to help Peyton study film and get coverages together but not be game ready.

Stanton already has experience in the game and will definitely benefit from it if he has to get in the game to make some plays. Painter had ZERO experience (unless you call preseason game experience) and just didn't seem ready to take the reigns when they were handed to him. If he had any chance or even a bit of promise I think the Colts ownership would have signed him to a two year deal.

I am not sure if anyone could be the net Curtis Painter.

I don't think that guy was ready to ever go in and play a game in the NFL. It seemed to me that he knew he had Peyton in front of him and he was mainly a guy to help Peyton study film and get coverages together but not be game ready.

Stanton already has experience in the game and will definitely benefit from it if he has to get in the game to make some plays. Painter had ZERO experience (unless you call preseason game experience) and just didn't seem ready to take the reigns when they were handed to him. If he had any chance or even a bit of promise I think the Colts ownership would have signed him to a two year deal.

But did the Colts downgrade the backup position by letting Orvlovsky walk and then sign Stanton who hasn't thrown in a game, in over a year?

Neither have a body of work to make a real difference. Here's what Stanton did the last time he played:

"During the 2010 season, Drew Stanton saw action again as Matt Stafford and Shaun Hill went down with injuries. He came in as relief for Shaun Hill against the Giants and went 19 for 34 for 222 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He made his second career start against the Bears in week 13 and went 16 for 24 for 178 yards and one touchdown. He started the next game against the Green Bay Packers and lead the Lions to a victory with a 13 yard TD pass to Will Heller. Drew also got the Lions their first road win in over 3 years, leading them to a 23-20 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

Not bad when given the chance.

Stanton has more upside to me than Orvlovsky. I think Orvlovsky played admirably last year but to me no way he is much an upgrade over Stanton. Stanton is younger and has much more potential than Orvlovsky and won just as many games if not more with just as poor a team. I think it was simply a house cleaning thing. Orvlovsky didn't light the world on fire...he did look "great" compared to Painter and thus our view of him is tainted lol.

And due to NY paying his signing bonus...Stanton is cheaper too. That pretty much locked that up. We were going to spend a late draft pick on QB and now we don't have to.

But did the Colts downgrade the backup position by letting Orvlovsky walk and then sign Stanton who hasn't thrown in a game, in over a year?

Orlovsky salvaged our losing season and kept us from going 0 - 16, but did he really do anything. Things were so bleak that big Dan looked like the man when he came up with a win. He still is the guy that ran out of the end zone one Detroit.

Orlovsky salvaged our losing season and kept us from going 0 - 16, but did he really do anything. Things were so bleak that big Dan looked like the man when he came up with a win. He still is the guy that ran out of the end zone one Detroit.

I think going 2-1 in games where the only run support was an 80yrd scant by Brown and a below avg Oline is something.

No, because Stanton has proven to us that he can play and he can win. He played well in those 4 starts in Detroit.

His last 4 starts in Detroit (3 in 2010) where he was 69 of 119 att for 780 yrd, 6tds/ 4ints.

1 start in 2009 where he was 26 of 51 att for 259 yrd, 0tds/ 6ints

Where do you keep getting 2-1 from? Or are you saying that he only had poor run support and below avg Oline in 3 of his games, and the run support and Oline were fine for the rest of them?

From their most recent performances. That would be 2011 for Orlovsky and 2009 for Stanton.

I can only speak of the poor run support in the games he played in last year. Do you have stats before that time that you may share?

His last 4 starts in Detroit (3 in 2010) where he was 69 of 119 att for 780 yrd, 6tds/ 4ints.

1 start in 2009 where he was 26 of 51 att for 259 yrd, 0tds/ 6ints

He didn't have 51 attempts in one game in 2009. He also didn't have that great of a game, but a couple of those picks were becuase it hit off the hands of a receiver and went right into the DBs bread basket. Maybe that 2009 game wasn't that good, but the 2010 season was a good one.