Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard receives Jack Horrigan Award

Lucky Colts Fan

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-jack-horrigan-award-2020-pro-football-writers-of-america

The Indianapolis Colts general manager, who turned 51 just yesterday, was announced as the Pro Football Writers of America's 2020 Jack Horrigan Award winner, which is given annually to the "league or club official for his or her qualities and professional style in helping the pro football writers do their job."

This is the first time in the 47-year history of the Jack Horrigan Award that it has been presented to a member of the Colts organization.

Ballard was also nominated for this award in 2018 and 2019.

On top of that, Colts Productions won two Emmys recently.

https://www.colts.com/news/kenny-moore-ii-hunter-smith-colts-productions-two-emmy-awards

The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Lower Great Lakes Chapter announced Colts Productions as the winner of two Emmy® awards during its virtual awards ceremony this past weekend.

The production team uses its unprecedented access to players, coaches, scouts and other team personnel to provide a whole host of entertaining and informative content for fans throughout the year. Since launching in March 2019, its projects have included:

With the Next Pick, a web series giving fans an inside look at the Colts scouting operation and the 2019 and 2020 NFL Drafts.

Colts Life, which follows current Colts in their hometowns as they visit family, attend community events and reconnect with fans, friends and loved ones.

Colts Forever, which checks in with retired Colts greats and their lives and careers after football.

Colts Forged, which told the story of a former Colts player's rehab from a 2019 injury and his quest to return to the playing field.

This is all very cool.  Ballard gets it, man.  He is savvy when it comes to the media and the fans.

I'd love to hear from @NewColtsFan about this type of stuff!  :thmup:

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-jack-horrigan-award-2020-pro-football-writers-of-america

Ballard was also nominated for this award in 2018 and 2019.

On top of that, Colts Productions won two Emmys recently.

https://www.colts.com/news/kenny-moore-ii-hunter-smith-colts-productions-two-emmy-awards

This is all very cool.  Ballard gets it, man.  He is savvy when it comes to the media and the fans.

I'd love to hear from @NewColtsFan about this type of stuff!  :thmup:

Thanks for the shoutout!

Really happy for Ballard and the organization.    Very well deserved.     And I'd give props to Irsay.    All of these productions cost money.    I think we've beefed up the staff in pure numbers.   And they now have a much bigger budget.   I assume we've bought cameras and the staff flies around the country to shoot the scouts wherever they go (with the next pick series) and to shoot players in their hometown (Colts Life series)  to tell their stories.   It's a real commitment.   The whole organization would appear to be on board.     So, I think Irsay deserves his share of credit for buying into Ballard's vision.  

The productions are professional level.   The do a first-rate job.   Pro Sports teams have a tendency to be borderline paranoid about this type of information.   They hold their cards very, very close to the vest.   Obviously, Ballard and Reich and maybe even someone else has to approve the final product before it's put up for viewing.    But it helps when everyone is on the same page,  when everyone is pulling from the same side of the rope.   

Glad Ballard tries to maximize this opportunity for good PR.   When an organization reaches out to the community, the fan base,  good things can come from it.   Right now,  we could all use the good juju we can get!

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the shoutout!

Really happy for Ballard and the organization.    Very well deserved.     And I'd give props to Irsay.    All of these productions cost money.    I think we've beefed up the staff in pure numbers.   And they now have a much bigger budget.   I assume we've bought cameras and the staff flies around the country to shoot the scouts wherever they go (with the next pick series) and to shoot players in their hometown (Colts Life series)  to tell their stories.   It's a real commitment.   The whole organization would appear to be on board.     So, I think Irsay deserves his share of credit for buying into Ballard's vision.  

The productions are professional level.   The do a first-rate job.   Pro Sports teams have a tendency to be borderline paranoid about this type of information.   They hold their cards very, very close to the vest.   Obviously, Ballard and Reich and maybe even someone else has to approve the final product before it's put up for viewing.    But it helps when everyone is on the same page,  when everyone is pulling from the same side of the rope.   

Glad Ballard tries to maximize this opportunity for good PR.   When an organization reaches out to the community, the fan base,  good things can come from it.   Right now,  we could all use the good juju we can get!

FWIW I am glad you still remain a Colts fan despite Andrew retiring. Andrew will always be a Colt no matter what and his number will definitely be retired in our Ring of Honor. You are such an asset to this site. Regarding the topic, Ballard is the best thing that has happened to the Colts in years IMO. Guy is sharp and drafts well.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

FWIW I am glad you still remain a Colts fan despite Andrew retiring. Andrew will always be a Colt no matter what and his number will definitely be retired in our Ring of Honor. You are such an asset to this site. Regarding the topic, Ballard is the best thing that has happened to the Colts in years IMO. Guy is sharp and drafts well.

2006 CBE...

Thanks for the incredibly kind words.  I’ve tried to stay out of most of the Luck threads.   As I’ve said before,  I think Luck badly handled his retirement.  Seriously bungled.  So if the mood remains negative toward him around here, we’ll, I think he mostly brought it on himself.   

Perhaps the biggest reason to remain a Colts fan is......   Chris Ballard.    I find him endlessly fascinating.   I think the Colts were unbelievably fortunate to get Ballard to be their GM.   He’s as forthcoming a GM as I’ve ever seen.  In any sport.   I think our future is incredibly bright, and I hope to be here  when the good times return.   

Again...  many thanks for the kind words....

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

2006 CBE...

Thanks for the incredibly kind words.  I’ve tried to stay out of most of the Luck threads.   As I’ve said before,  I think Luck badly handled his retirement.  Seriously bungled.  So if the mood remains negative toward him around here, we’ll, I think he mostly brought it on himself.   

Perhaps the biggest reason to remain a Colts fan is......   Chris Ballard.    I find him endlessly fascinating.   I think the Colts were unbelievably fortunate to get Ballard to be their GM.   He’s as forthcoming a GM as I’ve ever seen.  In any sport.   I think our future is incredibly bright, and I hope to be here  when the good times return.   

I have to admit the way Andrew just left our team didn't sit well with me. That is probably why some people in here don't like him? It was just the timing of it. Having said that I loved him as a player and IMO he is the 2nd greatest QB ever to play in an Indianapolis uniform only behind Peyton. He gave his heart and soul to the team IMO and got beat up in doing so. He was 57-37 record wise as a starter and always gave us a chance to win which was great about him. When we smoked the Texans in the 2018 playoffs that was the proof he was better than a QB like Watson and Watson is good. If Luck was in the league today only maybe Mahomes and Jackson would be better. Rodgers and Wilson possibly? I always thought Luck was better than Wilson but that is a different topic. Wilson had one of the best defenses ever when he won the SB and Lynch was a beast.

Well deserved! Congrats Chris! I noticed a transition with our media production over the years and it truly has become something special. 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

2006 CBE...

Any time I see you’ve posted something I always have to read it, heh! It brings me back to the old days with the multitudes of informative posts. As 2006 has mentioned, I’m really happy you’re still with us!

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really happy for Ballard and the organization.    Very well deserved.     And I'd give props to Irsay.

Being a NY native who adopted the Colts during the Harbaugh years, I'll never be the rabid fan that some of you are, so I appreciate the tremendous wealth of knowledge you bring to these message boards.  

I just saw the news of Ballard's award.  It surprises me none.  As a draft fanatic and semi-pro Fantasy Football player, I've enjoyed unprecedented access to the Colts process... a luxury not afforded to any other team in the league.

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps the biggest reason to remain a Colts fan is......   Chris Ballard.  

This was my thought exactly.  I consider the Andrew Luck saga to be a Greek tragedy.  I can't hate on luck, and hating on anyone else won't get me a step closer to closure or happiness.

The one thing I can hang my hat on is that we have the MVP of the League as it relates to GMs, a notion that I believe will be reinforced when this year's rookies finally hit the field.  

Nobody has more influence over the fate of a ball club than the GM, other than possibly the owner.  That's why I chose to highlight CBE's quote.  With Ballard at the helm, Irsay doesn't feel the need to be the show, and let's pray it stays that way regardless of year-to-year success.  Ballard is the quintessential goose that lays the golden egg and we'd be smart to keep that goose around.  Ballard is only 51 and his star is still rising.  

Previous administrations felt like that scene on Fight Club where Edward Norton's character is riding shotgun and Tyler Durdan takes his hand off the wheel to let fate take them where it may.  

Please do whatever it takes to keep him around.  Chris Ballard does not strike me as the type of guy to win a couple of awards and then bolt for a larger market and a few more mil.  Still, I'd give him whatever he wants, because HE is the future of the Colts.  One man's opinion.  Thanks for reading.  Go Colts!

What Mr. Ballard has accomplished since becoming GM is quite remarkable,  not only with the press/media and with community relations, but has built a mostly young and solid roster and staff.

Now it's time to get out there and win on a consistent basis.

He is becoming one of my all time favorite Colts, player or otherwise.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I love what Ballard has done with the roster, but honestly could care less about an award for helping media. Give me Ws. Wonder how many times Bill Belichick has won this award?

I'd rather Ballard join a list with names like Art Rooney, John Madden, Archie Manning, Don Shula, Tony Dungy, Ozzie Newsome, and Gil Brandt.  :hat:

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 6:13 AM, EastStreet said:

I love what Ballard has done with the roster, but honestly could care less about an award for helping media. Give me Ws. Wonder how many times Bill Belichick has won this award?

The Colt fans are the ones who get the benefit of that award.

Why wouldn't you care?

On 6/26/2020 at 1:35 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'd rather Ballard join a list with names like Art Rooney, John Madden, Archie Manning, Don Shula, Tony Dungy, Ozzie Newsome, and Gil Brandt.  :hat:

You know....   it’s not like you have to pick one OR the other.   You CAN do both.  

Ballard hasn’t made some conscious choice to do one over the other.   The guy is trying to do everything he can to help Indy win.   Not sure what more can a fan could want?

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 4:35 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Just curious as to why Archie Manning's name is on this list you came up with?

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colt fans are the ones who get the benefit of that award.

Why wouldn't you care?

The only benefit I care about W/Ls and SBs. 

Belichick would likely never win this award, and their fans are rich with benefit. And writers that write about the Pats are never short on material...

If it makes you happy, fantastic. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The only benefit I care about W/Ls and SBs. 

Belichick would likely never win this award, and their fans are rich with benefit. And writers that write about the Pats are never short on material...

If it makes you happy, fantastic. 

Ballard and the Colts win an award and you drag Belichick and the Patriots into it?

Your obsession with them is kinda sickening IMO.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just curious as to why Archie Manning's name is on this list you came up with?

Those guys are all former recipients of the award.  Archie in 1983.

And @EastStreet is right, Belichick has never received this award, and probably never will.  But he's also going to have a huge asterisk next to his career achievements that the others don't.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know....   it’s not like you have to pick one OR the other.   You CAN do both.

Exactly.  I'd rather get the Ws and do it the right way, without cheating, which is something the Colts have prided themselves in for the last few decades.

Ballard reminds me of Dungy in that respect.  Bring in the right guys, do it the right way, get the Ws, and make the fans and community proud.

That's not something Pats fans can say, unless they're proud to be cheaters.  :lol:

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard and the Colts win an award and you drag Belichick and the Patriots into it?

Your obsession with them is kinda sickening IMO.

I just commented I didn't really care about the award. You asked....

No obsession, but I just don't care about "media" awards. You actually seem a bit obsessive over the simple fact I don't care.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Exactly.  I'd rather get the Ws and do it the right way, without cheating, which is something the Colts have prided themselves in for the last few decades.

Ballard reminds me of Dungy in that respect.  Bring in the right guys, do it the right way, get the Ws, and make the fans and community proud.

That's not something Pats fans can say, unless they're proud to be cheaters.  :lol:

I think most of the Patriot fans believe If you ain't cheating you are not  trying hard enough.

The sad part of what has happened with the Patriots is they were talented enough and had great coaching and there was no need to cheat.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Those guys are all former recipients of the award.  Archie in 1983.

And @EastStreet is right, Belichick has never received this award, and probably never will.  But he's also going to have a huge asterisk next to his career achievements that the others don't.

He'll have a couple asterisks by his name. One will be most SB wins by a coach :-)

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No obsession, but I just don't care about "media" awards. You actually seem a bit obsessive over the simple fact I don't care.

Not really. What you don't seem to understand is there are a some of us Colt fans who are sick and tired of Belichick and the Patriots being brought up none stop in this Colts forum.

The fact is I don't care about what the Patriots have done. Now that the Patriots have another incident in getting caught cheating why keep bringing them up? 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not really. What you don't seem to understand is there are a some of us Colt fans who are sick and tired of Belichick and the Patriots being brought up none stop in this Colts forum.

The fact is I don't care about what the Patriots have done. Now that the Patriots have another incident in getting caught cheating why keep bringing them up? 

So you're a bit obsessive over Belicheck and the Pats is what you're saying, and you get triggered whenever someone brings them up. Got it.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

So you're a bit obsessive over Belicheck and the Pats is what you're saying, and you get triggered whenever someone brings them up. Got it.

Geez, the name of the thread is Ballard receives Jack Horrigan Award and you drag Belichick and the Patriots into it. Why even go there? Something positive and good happens for the Colts and you have to come by and pee in the Wheaties. Good job.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Geez, the name of the thread is Ballard receives Jack Horrigan Award and you drag Belichick and the Patriots into it. Why even go there? Something positive and good happens for the Colts and you have to come by and pee in the Wheaties. Good job.

You asked why I didn't care. I answered giving an example. Like I said, if it makes you happy, fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You asked why I didn't care. I answered giving an example. Like I said, if it makes you happy, fantastic. 

You bring some great threads into this forum on a regular bases.

What you brought into this one is not.

My happiness? Joking? Right?

Sorry you don't understand that.

I have never been upset that Luck retired. I have zero negative feelings about it. I feel fortunate that I got to see him QB my Colts. 

Incredibly impressed with Chris. He is forthcoming, not grumpy, determined, and he does what he speaks. 

Since he has been mentioned, I'll just say that I find Bill B to be a cheater. Period. And I dont give a flying flack how many games or championships he has coached. Character matters. Honor matters. Honesty matters. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I mean... you ARE the one that unnecessarily brought BB into this discussion.  So who's obsessed?  :funny:

And for the record:

On 6/26/2020 at 6:13 AM, EastStreet said:

Deciding to chime in on a thread about how much you don't care about it (kinda like that other thread where you just had to let everyone know you thought these awards were "participation trophies")... is a major Richard move.  You obviously care about stats because you make so many threads about stats, but probably wouldn't like it if I spammed all of your threads about stats with "I don't care about stats, I only care about Ws" posts... just sayin.  :thmup:

On 6/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay should always get credit for allowing the guys he hires to do their jobs without interfering much. We see what other owners do, and it’s not a great situation. Ballard has a lot (if not practically all) of control of the organization from the football operations side of things. I have said from day 1, a big part of his vision wasn’t just building a team but changing the culture and rebuilding everything from facilities to media and public relations to branding. They have worked fast and furious on all those fronts. His pitch to Irsay on facility upgrades (which were huge) and rebranding (Colts forged and the changes we have seen the past few years with things like the new team entrance on game day, etc) had to have been predicated on the first few years of focusing on the draft and not using a lot of capspace, which saved the organization tens of millions of dollars in player salary. If that was what it took to beef up staffing, upgrade practice facilities, and put a lot of resource into PR and media relations, then it was clearly part of a bigger vision. When Ballard’s career is over, he might not have championships to show, but no one will say he didn’t have a vision and didn’t make serious positive change. 

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

For whatever reason, alot of fans seem obsessed with how the (particularly national; ESPN, etc.)

media treats their team. I guess it gives them affirmation  or strokes their ego or whatever.

8 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I mean... you ARE the one that unnecessarily brought BB into this discussion.  So who's obsessed?  :funny:

And for the record:

Deciding to chime in on a thread about how much you don't care about it (kinda like that other thread where you just had to let everyone know you thought these awards were "participation trophies")... is a major Richard move.  You obviously care about stats because you make so many threads about stats, but probably wouldn't like it if I spammed all of your threads about stats with "I don't care about stats, I only care about Ws" posts... just sayin.  :thmup:

Lot's of people have said they only care about W/Ls in the stats threads. In this case, I care more about W/Ls than a media reward. That's there opinion and they are entitled to it. Creating a thread and not expecting alternative opinions is not really what a forum is about lol. I welcome debate in any thread I create. I don't create threads to be an echo chamber, or sunshine pumping fest. 

3 hours ago, indykmj said:

For whatever reason, alot of fans seem obsessed with how the (particularly national; ESPN, etc.)

media treats their team. I guess it gives them affirmation  or strokes their ego or whatever.

Honestly, I like it too when "certain" talking heads are complimentary of our performance, or our outlook for the season. It's nice when someone knowledgeable of the game (like a Dungy, or someone else that really understands the game) says, or predicts good things. 

This award though isn't even that. It's just a media saying thank you for making their jobs easier. Which is fine, but doesn't matter a lot in the grand scheme of things. Regardless how nice, or how helpful a team official is to the media, the media will always find something to write about. This is Ballard doing well from a marketing perspective within the media. Which is fine, but again, not something most fans will care about. 

And after all, even when GMs or teams, are mean or unhelpful to the media, the media still reports a lot on them, and still has positive things to say about them. Case in point is the love affair the media has had with the team that shall not be mentioned, coached and GM'd by the coach that shall not be mentioned lol.

Creating a thread and not expecting alternative opinions is not really what a forum is about lol. I welcome debate in any thread I create. I don't create threads to be an echo chamber, or sunshine pumping fest.

"I don't care" isn't part of a good debate, and it's not an opinion worthy of posting, in my opinion.  

giphy.gif

It's just a media saying thank you for making their jobs easier. Which is fine, but doesn't matter a lot in the grand scheme of things.

I think it shows what kind of character Ballard has, which is important to me.

Case in point is the love affair the media has had with the team that shall not be mentioned, coached and GM'd by the coach that shall not be mentioned lol.

I'd call it a love/hate relationship.  When they're in the SB, not many (if any) people outside their fanbase are rooting for them to win it.

But when a guy like Dungy was in the SB, there were A LOT of non-Colts fans rooting for him to win it.  And I think that comes back to character.

It's not important to some, but it's important to me.  :D

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But when a guy like Dungy was in the SB, there were A LOT of non-Colts fans rooting for him to win it.  And I think that comes back to character.

It's not important to some, but it's important to me

Preach it! Wish we could have a beer sometime. I like the way you roll.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:42 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

and IMO he is the 2nd greatest QB ever to play in an Indianapolis uniform only behind Peyton.

Good qualification there, as I was about to say 4th, but then noted the emphasis on ”Indianapolis”.  Thus, I agree!

Such a shame we didn’t get to witness Luck’s true potential realized.  If we had, there might not have needed to be that “qualification”.

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Good qualification there, as I was about to say 4th, but then noted the emphasis on ”Indianapolis”.  Thus, I agree!

Such a shame we didn’t get to witness Luck’s true potential realized.  If we had, there might not have needed to be that “qualification”.

Yeah that is why I put Indy because obviously Unitas was better. I am assuming you think Bert Jones was too, that is debatable but Bert was very good. Sad he got injured as well.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is why I put Indy because obviously Unitas was better. I am assuming you think Bert Jones was too, that is debatable but Bert was very good. Sad he got injured as well.

Debatable, perhaps, but he was a league MVP and an all-time warrior.  I still say Jones is the best QB not in the HOF, and if not for injuries, he surely would be in.

Unitas, his status, with reference to the era, is undeniable.  Arguably one of the best QBs ever that set new standards not overcome until the modern era. 

Archived