Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why We Ought To Afford Jim Some Trust

schwamm

From the time Bob Irsay bought the franchise in 1972, until Jim Irsay took 100% ownership of the Colts in 1997, the Colts had two 10 win seasons (’75 and ’77), one 11 win season (’76), and only six playoff appearances in 25 years. Bob's teams' record was 151-229, or roughly 40%.

After Jim officially took over ownership, the team has had at least 10 wins and has made the playoffs in all but 4 years. The regular season record under JI has been 146-94, or roughly 61%, and that includes his first 2 years with 3 wins apiece, and last year. Even if you want to credit Polian, Dungy or Manning for the sudden success, Irsay deserves acknowledgement for assembling that group, and spending money to bring quality football to Indianapolis, where his dad had been too cheap to try.

I’m inclined to trust his vision and plan for this next chapter of Colts Football, in part because I don’t think people recognize just how challenging it was to take a perennial bottom feeder squad, and turn it into one of the classiest and best teams in the league. I get that people are afraid because so much is changing. I have no idea what I’ll get to see on the field this next season (although I like the moves I’m seeing so far), or in seasons after that. However, I am inclined to give Irsay credit because he’s handled what I believe was a much tougher challenge 15 years ago.

I hear people say free agents won’t want to come to Indy now because Irsay has allowed Grigson to clean house. I don’t agree, but if you think that to be the case now, how do imagine Irsay convinced players, coaches, staffers, and a great GM to come to this small market team with a long and awful history of losing and tight pockets back in 1997?

In my opinion, Jim Irsay wants this team to win more than any fan on this forum, and has consistently put his money to task to achieve that goal. I don't understand every decision he makes, but he doesn't owe me any explanation, either. Until the team reverts to some pre-1998 state of continual crappiness, I'm inclined to trust that Irsay is doing what he thinks is best for the success of the club, and to trust that he knows better than me (and the rest of you on this forum too).

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the time Bob Irsay bought the franchise in 1972, until Jim Irsay took 100% ownership of the Colts in 1997, the Colts had two 10 win seasons (’75 and ’77), one 11 win season (’76), and only six playoff appearances in 25 years. Bob's teams' record was 151-229, or roughly 40%.

After Jim officially took over ownership, the team has had at least 10 wins and has made the playoffs in all but 4 years. The regular season record under JI has been 146-94, or roughly 61%, and that includes his first 2 years with 3 wins apiece, and last year. Even if you want to credit Polian, Dungy or Manning for the sudden success, Irsay deserves acknowledgement for assembling that group, and spending money to bring quality football to Indianapolis, where his dad had been too cheap to try.

I’m inclined to trust his vision and plan for this next chapter of Colts Football, in part because I don’t think people recognize just how challenging it was to take a perennial bottom feeder squad, and turn it into one of the classiest and best teams in the league. I get that people are afraid because so much is changing. I have no idea what I’ll get to see on the field this next season (although I like the moves I’m seeing so far), or in seasons after that. However, I am inclined to give Irsay credit because he’s handled what I believe was a much tougher challenge 15 years ago.

I hear people say free agents won’t want to come to Indy now because Irsay has allowed Grigson to clean house. I don’t agree, but if you think that to be the case now, how do imagine Irsay convinced players, coaches, staffers, and a great GM to come to this small market team with a long and awful history of losing and tight pockets back in 1997?

In my opinion, Jim Irsay wants this team to win more than any fan on this forum, and has consistently put his money to task to achieve that goal. I don't understand every decision he makes, but he doesn't owe me any explanation, either. Until the team reverts to some pre-1998 state of continual crappiness, I'm inclined to trust that Irsay is doing what he thinks is best for the success of the club, and to trust that he knows better than me (and the rest of you on this forum too).

He has yet to show he can win without Peyton. Until then, I will not trust

Edited by Maureen
personal shot

Initial Post = Great Post.

I admit, well written and well thought out. I should have included that. That being said, anyone could win with Peyton, including myself. Do you not think that Peyton, Harrison, Faulk and James had alot to do with FA's being attracted here?

It is a strong word. But it is not handed out lightly. He lied to us all." If he's healthy, he'll be a Colt"....that's a lie. Nevermind my emotions, it infuriates me that he lied to Peyton.

Edited by Maureen
personal shot

I don't think Irsay was a liar. He told as many to the fans, as many he can, some parts of this mutual decision is obviously confidential, however they would put some more light on this situation and its background.

Irsay is running a successful organization, and he wants to keep it successful too...

I would be happier if Manning was staying at the team, but real life and necessities led to an other decision.

We will see, if he's decided right or no.

One can have an opinion on whether Manning would/could or offered to restructure.

One can have an opinion on whether Irsay would/could or offered to restructure.

One thing is not debatable. Peyton Manning was under contract with the Indianapolis Colts. Jim Irsay and the Indianapolis Colts terminated that contract.

It is a strong word. But it is not handed out lightly. He lied to us all." If he's healthy, he'll be a Colt"....that's a lie. Nevermind my emotions, it infuriates me that he lied to Peyton.

While Peyton and his Docs said he was good to play, the Colts medical team never cleared him. How is that Irsay's lie?

But he's not healthy......yet. Said so by the great man himself....

That's kinda semantical. I only know what I see and hear, and what I've seen is three teams working him out. Three teams doctors evaluated him, he passed a team physical and was offered a 5 year $96 mm contract. I understand there are provisions in place for "what-if's" in the contract, but that's still a heckuva vote of confidence toward his health..

He's fine. He's healthy. He can play. We're going to suffer because of this while another team runs wild with success using our QB.

That's kinda semantical. I only know what I see and hear, and what I've seen is three teams working him out. Three teams doctors evaluated him, he passed a team physical and was offered a 5 year $96 mm contract. I understand there are provisions in place for "what-if's" in the contract.

He's fine. He's healthy. He can play. We're going to suffer because of this while another team runs wild with success using our QB.

I think the Colts medical standards changed dramatically after the whole Simon debacle. My guess is other teams don't have as high a standard right now. I also don't think Irsay wanted to risk a possible severe injury to Peyton, where other teams are so anxious to have him, they'll risk more and overlook more.

That's kinda semantical. I only know what I see and hear, and what I've seen is three teams working him out. Three teams doctors evaluated him, he passed a team physical and was offered a 5 year $96 mm contract. I understand there are provisions in place for "what-if's" in the contract, but that's still a heckuva vote of confidence toward his health..

Conjecture Mr Sak. All the way. Manning admitted he's got a bit to go. Why are you choosing to ignore that? Why do they have a get out clause in the contract? Why will he not finish the season? (sorry, just joining in with your predictions game)....

A 50% chance at being right. Even the deaf, dumb and blind would have a good chance for success given those odds.

His money, his wager, his winnings. Neither of us placed anything resembling that large a bet on the Leaf/Manning choice, did we?

No, it wasn't. Could you explain how Peyton had any choice?

He had the choice: to stay with a rebuilding team, or to choose a PO and SB aspirant team, that needs a QB, and play for a SB. If he had stayed, he would be cut to free some cap space, now he has an even larger contract that he had at Colts. It was so simply...

Besides, that whole health thing is a little confusing for me... there was never an official announcement, that he is ready to play, only sources told that...and that video...it was released only a week after a journalist sugeested Peyton should have released a tape about him practicing.

But he's not healthy......yet. Said so by the great man himself....

You are correct Manning himself claims he is not himself yet. I believe the Dr' also claimed the nerve regeneration could stop at anytime. Manning is a risk and Irsay was not willing to take that risk at the time.

The Broncos contract with PM is a pay as you go contract. If his neck/nerve/arm issue resurfaces, the team can cut him without paying him anything more than what has already been paid. I do not consider that a vote of confidence at all.

One can have an opinion on whether Manning would/could or offered to restructure.

One can have an opinion on whether Irsay would/could or offered to restructure.

One thing is not debatable. Peyton Manning was under contract with the Indianapolis Colts. Jim Irsay and the Indianapolis Colts terminated that contract.

Most CEO's would of done the same thing. Risk vs reward.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 21, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, March 21, 2012 - inflammatory

Get over it. I hope you never go thru a divorce.

Conjecture Mr Sak. All the way. Manning admitted he's got a bit to go. Why are you choosing to ignore that? Why do they have a get out clause in the contract? Why will he not finish the season? (sorry, just joining in with your predictions game)....

They have a "get -out" clause because it is prudent to do so for a 36 year old who is recovering, when you add to it the unusually large amount of cash this player commands. I'm not ignoring that he has a way to go. I'm understanding that he is an overachiever and is likely embellishing how much he has yet to go.

Peyton has never given me a reason to doubt him. If he says he could play Sunday, I believe him. You don't think Peyton is a liar, do you?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 21, 2012 - response to deleted post
Hidden by Nadine, March 21, 2012 - response to deleted post

Get over it. I hope you never go thru a divorce.

Already have. Not that it's any of your business or at all pertinent to the conversation at hand. I bet you'll get over it while we struggle to win games for the next 6 years, won't ya buddy?

He has yet to show he can win without Peyton. Until then, I will not trust the liar.

I don't see the logic here. Owners rely on players to win. He's moving from 1 great to potentially another. If he kept Manning only he would be just relying on Peyton again to win

If any of you watched Bill today he said Jim wanted Luck from day one. I think you can assume where Jim's intentions laid. On the other hand when your franchise QB said he thought he was the QB up until he was told otherwise I think there has to be some fibbing going around.

They have a "get -out" clause because it is prudent to do so for a 36 year old who is recovering, when you add to it the unusually large amount of cash this player commands. I'm not ignoring that he has a way to go. I'm understanding that he is an overachiever and is likely embellishing how much he has yet to go.

Peyton has never given me a reason to doubt him. If he says he could play Sunday, I believe him. You don't think Peyton is a liar, do you?

No more or less than I think Irsay is a liar, regardless of how many times you insist

I cannot even comprehend that Mr Manning could ever be untruthful. I'm sure he has already told his twins that there is no Santa.

I don't see the logic here. Owners rely on players to win. He's moving from 1 great to potentially another. If he kept Manning only he would be just relying on Peyton again to win

He could have made the choice to build around him and win NOW. Instead we may not win for some time.

Do not take my harsh words as wishful of fruition. I do not want my Colts to lose. I fear they will, harshly, in the confusion abound.

I cannot even comprehend that Mr Manning could ever be untruthful. I'm sure he has already told his twins that there is no Santa.

CAn you imagine that talk. Listen Marshall I know it's impossible to remember things before the age of three, but there is no Santa Claus. You don't even know who he is yet, but don't believe it when you hear it.

No more or less than I think Irsay is a liar, regardless of how many times you insist

I can't blame you. You were just following orders. Your leader is law. His word is law. Commands have been given, get in line and keep your lips sealed while firing indiscriminately.

I admit, well written and well thought out. I should have included that. That being said, anyone could win with Peyton, including myself. Do you not think that Peyton, Harrison, Faulk and James had alot to do with FA's being attracted here?

You should write a book about how you could win with Peyton. Automatic best seller there.