Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why We Ought To Afford Jim Some Trust

schwamm

But that Irsay took the easy way out and blew the team to pieces rather than repair it.

I forgot to respond to this...

Wow... I couldn't disagree more. There is nothing easy about the path Irsay chose. Don't think for a moment that he wasn't aware of the backlash he was about to face when he made the decision to let Manning walk. I guess I've come to terms with the fact that the team needed to be blown up to allow it to be competitve again.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean the decision to cut Peyton was easy. I'm sure it wasn't. But I think firing everyone, cutting everyone, and starting over from scratch was the easier route rather than shuffling, repairing and reloading with the pieces already in place.

This team was competitive EVERY YEAR that Peyton Manning played a down of football. Every year we were contendors to make to the Super Bowl. There is no reason why we couldn't have been with a healthy or even semi-healthy Peyton again this next year. Peyton made everyone around him better. I understand the cuts of Brackett, Bullit, Clark, etc MUCH more than I do Peyton....when you're having a heartattack and need bypass surgery, you do the surgery. You don't cut out the heart and do a transplant. Peyton Manning was/is the heart of the Colts. Irsay chose a heart transplant over the bypass surgery.

I also think that those of us that are still angry at the circumstances, at Irsay, or whatever should be given a little bit of slack. Many of us won't be able to "get over it" or "move on" for a long time, if ever. That doesn't mean we're not going to still root for the Colts.

this is the way i look at it if your with the colts be with and trust in their decision they are trying very hard but some of you feel like they shoot the colts in the foot,.....and if all your say negative things about the colts and hold no support than honestly you werent real colts you were merely their fan while they were winning means your opinion means nothing to me

this is the way i look at it if your with the colts be with and trust in their decision they are trying very hard but some of you feel like they shoot the colts in the foot,.....and if all your say negative things about the colts and hold no support than honestly you werent real colts you were merely their fan while they were winning means your opinion means nothing to me

This is a gross oversimplification of anything and everything that I said and that a lot of the posters that are upset here said. And here we go with the "if you disagree with the decision to fire the greatest player in the history of the Indianapolis Colts you aren't a real Colts fan B.S."

Wow.

I didn't mean the decision to cut Peyton was easy. I'm sure it wasn't. But I think firing everyone, cutting everyone, and starting over from scratch was the easier route rather than shuffling, repairing and reloading with the pieces already in place.

This team was competitive EVERY YEAR that Peyton Manning played a down of football. Every year we were contendors to make to the Super Bowl. There is no reason why we couldn't have been with a healthy or even semi-healthy Peyton again this next year. Peyton made everyone around him better. I understand the cuts of Brackett, Bullit, Clark, etc MUCH more than I do Peyton....when you're having a heartattack and need bypass surgery, you do the surgery. You don't cut out the heart and do a transplant. Peyton Manning was/is the heart of the Colts. Irsay chose a heart transplant over the bypass surgery.

I also think that those of us that are still angry at the circumstances, at Irsay, or whatever should be given a little bit of slack. Many of us won't be able to "get over it" or "move on" for a long time, if ever. That doesn't mean we're not going to still root for the Colts.

I'm fine with giving all the slack anyone needs, just please quit the half-blind "he lied" stuff.

i wasnt saying cant be upset for us not getting manning back, cuz i was a lil but i still have faith in our team to do great things, and granted he made us a great but not having him play last season was a good eye opener too so i just want to believe in our team like we when we were winning

It's easy to find a problem with the way someone did something when you dislike what they did. I personally don't care how Irsay handled it, I wouldn't have liked it either way. I hate that he got rid of Manning, and regardless how it plays out, I'll always hate it. I don't know if he did the right thing, but I understand why he did it. And I like the decisions he's made aside from that one. I like the decisions his appointed decision makers have made.

My comment above was directed toward the idea that, because the Colts' success has been with Manning, that Irsay is somehow deficient without Manning, and unable to be a good owner. In reality, virtually all of Irsay's ownership has been with Manning, with only a couple years exception. Bill Polian is one of the best GMs in NFL history, regardless how his last couple of years went here, and Polian isn't the Colts GM without Irsay. Dungy is one of the best coaches in franchise history (I have my nits to pick with him, to be sure), and there's no Dungy in Indy without Irsay. Dare I say there's no Manning in Indy without Irsay. The idea that the Colts have been successful in spite of Irsay is asinine. He's been directly involved in every major decision for over 15 years, and that includes drafting Manning.

So, go ahead and hate this decision all you want. I hate it, too. But it's entirely another thing to suggest that Irsay has to prove that he's a good owner. The last fifteen years have featured very good ownership.

We agree again!! :hello:

An intelligent new voice.

Thank the heavens.

I Honestly without a doubt, believe Peyton said he didn't want to be here That is absolutely ^cowpatties^. Irsay didn't pick up the option & Made it imposable for Peyton to stay. Heard interview with Peyton & up to the press conference HE THOUGHT HE WOULD BE A COLT

I only meant that there can be cause shown for disdain in concern to Irsay. Nothing, not one thing can give any Colts fan even a smidge of due cause for disdain in concern to Manning.

If they feel like Manning honestly didn't want to be here anymore sure they can have some disdain towards Manning. Then it's Manning who wanted to leave not Irsay who kicked him out of town. It all depends on how you look at things.

Like I said I don't have an issue with either one. Frankly as far as high level partings go they handled it about as well as you could hope for. Yes it was a little rocky to start with but how it ended was done professionally and I have no doubts that Peyton will be back one day to offically retire as a Colt and have his number retired and have his statue built and we'll get to say good bye to Peyton the right way.

As for Irsay he did what was the smart business move as much as it hurts. It doesn't make sense to have a 36 year old QB back to rebuild with espeically one coming off of four neck surgiers and reports are is going to need a fifth who still has questions about his health even if he is getting btter when you have your choice of what most people feel are two can't miss prospects looking at you with the first pick in the draft. Even if that QB is Peyton Manning. If you take the emotions out of it and the love people have for Manning it becomes clear that was the right business decision to be made. That's why the people who don't have the emotional ties to the Colts had been saying for months that is what was going to happen.

With that said it still hurts and it's why people hate the buisness side of sports so much because it results in things like this. However, some of the hate that is being sent Irsay's way is just uncalled for. If you listen to some you would think Irsay cut Manning with a smile on his face and just couldn't wait to do it because he's in charge darn it! I really don't think that's the case. I think irsay like the rest of us hated to do it and it tore him apart to do it. You could see that at the press conference. I've seen people say Irsay cried fake tears but yet Peyton really ment his. I say that's horse hockey. I think both men honestly hated that it came to that but both sides understood the business part of it and this was the best option for both parties. The Colts are going to rebuild to try to win for another 10 to 13 years like they did with Manning while Manning wants to win now before his career is over.

With that said I think there is just a lot of anger that is coming out mostly at Irsay but in reality I don't see the need to be mad at either of them. Be mad at the circamstances that lead to this because that's what caused it. Both men love the Colts and frankly I dare say both men want to see this team do well in the future. So this notiton that some have that Irsay is some crazy guy running a football team is not true. Irsay has proven himself time and time again to be a good owner and not to be his father. Just because he made the very hard call to let go of Peyton Manning doesn't make him a bad owner just like when he made the hard call to fire Tobin, Mora, Polian, and Caldwell didn't make him a bad owner. At some point every franchise must move on and Irsay felt that time was now given the circamstances. This rebuild might not work if it doesn't I can promise you Irsay will fire Grigson and Pagano and try again with someone else. He's never going to be a guy who is happy with losing as long as it turns a profit. To me that and not micromanging your GM all you can ask for in an owner. I don't think Irsay mirco manges his GMs either. He didn't with Tobin and he didn't with Polian. He hasn't either with Grigson. He made the call on Manning because it determined what direction the franchise goes in and I think any owner is entitled to make that call for his franchise. Since then Irsay has backed away and let Grigson make the calls and will keep doing that. I think irsay knows he wasn't a good GM which is why when he took over as owner he went out and got a GM to call the football shots.

So if people want to hate Irsay they can but I think that hate is miss placed.

He took over in April 1996. At years end they lost in the Wildcard round 42-14 to the Steelers. He did not officially take over as chief executive officer until 1997 after wresting control of the team from his wicked stepmother in a long legal battle.

I stand by what I said. He has yet to prove he can win without Peyton Manning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Irsay

http://www.angelfire...olts5/irsay.htm

Which is why I said he pretty much took over in 1995. His dad had nothing to do with the football team after his stroke. Jim Irsay for all intensive purpuses was the owner even if it wasn't offical on paper. He was the one calling all the shots. Part of the reason he won that court case with Bob Irsay's widow was because Jim Irsay was the one running the team and judge pretty much ruled that Bob Irsay's wife only wanted the team because of the money because he had had nothing to do with the franchise up to that point.

You are trying to nitpick so you can cling to the Irsay hasn't won anything without Peyton Manning line. Also keep in mind it was Irsay who developed the plan to blow up the team after 1997 and go get Bill Polian who brought Peyton Manning here in the first place. Had he left Tobin in place or gotten someone else who knows maybe we draft Leaf or maybe we trade the pick and stick with Harbaugh.

I think Jim Irsay deserves some Trust based on his Merrits.

Before the Irsays, the Colts won 3 championships and a SB in 12 years. 4/12.

After the Irsays, the Colts have one 1 SB in 40 years. 1/40.

But Jim alone has won 1 SB in 14 years(?). 1/14.

As a family the Irsays have moved the team in the middle of the night from their beloved Baltimore fans and cut the only true franchise QB since Unitas.

However on Jim's merrits alone, he has had the best run of any owner in this history of football. This HUGE rebuilidng decision hasn't panned out yet, so we really can't blame him for it yet. Yes, we lobbied for what we wanted, but when the decision was made, whether it was what we wanted or not, blame trully can't be placed unless the decision backfires.

Nothing unites fans like winning, so if he can get a wildcard or division in 2 years no one will care.

I'd like to speak to some of the responses to this thread....

People need to understand that folks aren't happy with the HOW not the WHY. Understand that and you'll have 100% peace on these boards. Let people vent about the HOW because it was wrong. I don't think there is anyone on these boards that think this thing was handled delicately. It was public and it was ugly and people have a right to be upset with it.

I also disagree that saying someone lied with the evidence we do have isn't really name calling. While we don't have concrete evidence now ( I think that the recent Polian to be fired will provide the missing pieces) we do have a fairly accurate timeline we can put together through public statements that Irsay wasn't 100% forthcoming and made statemets that lead to false hope.

At Denvers presser Manning said he had no idea he wouldn't be a colt until Tuesday night before Wednesday's press conference. We know from the Colts press conference that the discussions ended Tuesday night beause the "Plane ran out of gas". That pretty much concludes that public statements made before Tuesday saying that manning could still be a colt weren't exactly accurate.

This is why some have lost trust in Irsay. I myself can't say I'm a big fan of the family but since Jim has done right by the team since his tenure, I feel he does deserve a chance and some trust.

Since I can't be sure who you are responding to, I'll assume it was my original post in this thread... but I'm confused... where am I awarding anybody medals? If you aren't responding to me, where has anybody handed out these awards?

Sometimes, when a potted plant gets root-bound, you need to remove it from the old pot, break up the root ball, and start with a fresh new pot. If you don't, the plant won't grow any more, and could die altogether.

You suggest Irsay hasn't done anything yet. You are entitle to that opinion, but I think you're wearing blinders. I think he has recognized that our team was getting root bound, and that it was time for major up-rooting. If that is turning the Horseshoe upside down, then yes he has, but I contend that it was absolutely necessary, regardless of how unpopular it has been. I don't know if it will lead to improvement or not, but it doesn't change the necessity of the action.

cutting PM 5 years early might not have been a necessity

cutting PM 5 years early might not have been a necessity

Peyton could very well have 5 years of game left in him.

If I had to wager $28MIL on it happening, though, I have no doubt how I would place my wager.

(I wish I had that kind of scratch to place on a wager, especially to be able to blow it on a wager that is a long shot...)

The odds of him playing to the same level we've been fortunate to experience for all 5 years gets even slimmer.

It's fine. You can't get past Maning getting cut, and you are entitled to cling to that as long as you need.