Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Status of Colts' O-line depth

Hoose

Its really been crickets as far as the Colts and their free agent o-linemen other than Castonzo. The depth chart is pretty thin as it is.  Haeg, Andrews and yes, even Clark are each key backups and all remain unsigned. I'm hoping that Haeg is now their top priority. Ballard preaches the need for quality depth; losing Haeg would be a genuine setback. Anyone heard anything? Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Hark said:

Guessing Haeg is testing the market to see if he can starter money somewhere else. Not sure about the rest.

I'm sure he's looking for a chance to start; but he's one injury away from being a regular on the Colts. This guy needs to remain a Colt. I have no doubt he's at the top of Ballard's to-do list. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I'm sure he's looking for a chance to start; but he's one injury away from being a regular on the Colts. This guy needs to remain a Colt. I have no doubt he's at the top of Ballard's to-do list. 

I'm sure he is at the top of the list too. But, for a player who was one injury away from starting all 16 games last year and never having it happen, I can see Haeg looking for greater prospect of an opportunity. With 31 teams out there, many with questionable starting positions on the OL, I can easily see a team offering Haeg a starting role.

I would bet Ballard gave Haag his number if he wanted him.  Since Haag is out there I would assume he didn't like it.  Andrews too.  Clark didn't play a down this year and was hardly activated.  No loss there.  I'm not worried.  Between other FA's out there and the draft we will be fine.  

32 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We definitely could use a talented OT who could play either LT or RT in case of injury. And we could use another starting caliber OG as well. 

Why stop there?  Why not just have all 5 backups be talented starter level.

Unfortunately, in 2020, that ain’t gonna happen.  We need 3-4 capable and versatile backups.

3 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Why stop there?  Why not just have all 5 backups be talented starter level.

Unfortunately, in 2020, that ain’t gonna happen.  We need 3-4 capable and versatile backups.

Ballard has made it a major goal to build adequate depth along the O and D lines. Losing a player like Haeg is a setback to those goals. Sign him. 

Really good question.  I was certain that OL depth problems were going to kill us last year.  I like Haeg, but unusually poor after that.  Not many years that we’ll have the same starting five all 16 games.  I think we were the only team to do that last year.  I’ve been scheming in my mocks to add a LT-of-the-future and an OG on Day 2 of the draft.  I can only imagine CB knows how lucky we were with OL health last year...

Archived