Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Testing and On-Field Drills Thread - Day 3 - DL, LB

Well, here we are ... 20 minutes away from the on-field drills of the front 7 players. This is the thread to discuss whatever happens in the tests and on-field drills. 

Here you can find their bench press numbers, that are already available: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kWcb-dn9aqgn2pM6teYGbxiA4Kql1aMMrgjvtD-ofTE/edit#gid=2013579377

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DLs started running the 40s:

McTelvin Agim 4.99

Ross Blacklock 4.97 ... 4.91

Derrick Brown 5.11?

Josiah Coatney 5.22

Darrion Daniels 5.20 ... 5.19

Marlon Davidson 5.04 

Carlos Davis 4.82

Khalil Davis 4.79 ... 4.76 (308 lbs player... nice, real nice)

Jordan Elliot 5.03

Leki Fotu 5.16

Neville Gallimore 4.85 ... 4.79... really good

Davon Hamilton 5.14

Benito Jones 5.36 ... 5.26

Rashard Lawrence 5.08

Justin Madubuike 4.83

Larrell Mutchison 5.05

Raequan Williams 5.08 ... 5.05

Robert Windsor 4.93 ... 4.90

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Well, here we are ... 20 minutes away from the on-field drills of the front 7 players. This is the thread to discuss whatever happens in the tests and on-field drills. 

Here you can find their bench press numbers, that are already available: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kWcb-dn9aqgn2pM6teYGbxiA4Kql1aMMrgjvtD-ofTE/edit#gid=2013579377

Thank you for keeping us informed. 

6 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Justin Madubuike not disappointing in his run I see.  Haven’t followed up with rest of combine results.  Would be happy with the Colt drafting either Gallimore or both if we don’t get a FA DT.

I'm glad to see you sticking with your guy, even after the grief you got on your mock.  If you believe in him, then proclaim it!  You do you!  Nice.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That guy is going to be a Leonard clone. He can do everything.

No his upside is way higher than Leonard’s. This is a guy who Clemson lines up at safety and nickel CB. If he puts it all together I don’t know who you can compare him too because he’s a unicorn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No his upside is way higher than Leonard’s. This is a guy who Clemson lines up at safety and nickel CB. If he puts it all together I don’t know who you can compare him too because he’s a unicorn.

Leonard has actually lined up at different spots. I saw a interview where he even talked about it. When Moore got hurt I thought they should put Darius at nickel since okereke was playing so well. Eberflus mentioned they are going to use him in even more ways this year.  

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I’m no longer a fan. I would’ve been okay with 4.80 but 5.01 is awful. He definitely needs to move inside at the next level. But he’s undersized at 280.

Damn was he that bad?

That could drop him to Round 2.

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That guy is going to be a Leonard clone. He can do everything.

Leonard is no where near Simmons when it comes to athletic ability.  Simmons and his tape matches athletic ability.  Probably top 5 pick.  Oh and Simmons can stop the run something Mr.Leonard has trouble with

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Leonard is no where near Simmons when it comes to athletic ability.  Simmons and his tape matches athletic ability.  Probably top 5 pick.  Oh and Simmons can stop the run something Mr.Leonard has trouble with

Chill. All I meant was they will be able to do a lot with him like rush the QB and funnel the defense through him. Just like we do Leonard. They are both very unique players.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Gallimore and Blacklock did well 

Here's my question:

With Kinlaws injury and Browns awful combine could the top 2 be drafted above Kinlaw or Brown.

Brown IMO was a top 7 pick but now could easily see him falling to 10 to 15 range.

Wouldn’t shock me to see Brown fall. I can’t think of any elite DTs currently playing that aren’t good athletes. 

I was very impressed with Blacklock and Gallimore. With the injury concerns of Kinlaw I think one of those two will be the pick at 34. My updated mock draft.

13. Jerry Jeudy, WR

34. Ross Blacklock, DT

44. Jacob Eason, QB

75. Erza Cleveland, OT

112. Adam Trautman, TE

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Interested in his 3-cone and shuttle. Ballard and Reich love speed on the line.

His 3-C and SS #'s were both lousy. His inconsistent motor at OU notwithstanding, 

he's great as long as he can gain an immediate advantage off the snap and  can take

a more or less straight line to a QB anchored to his spot (ie, Flacco, etc.). But otherwise, 

he generally struggles.

As a lifelong, diehard OU fball guy, I'd love to see him in the top-35 or 40. But I won't be 

surprised if he slips to the 60 to 75 range. 

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm glad to see you sticking with your guy, even after the grief you got on your mock.  If you believe in him, then proclaim it!  You do you!  Nice.

Thank you

Last draft year was a run on DL where we missed out on both Dexter Lawrence and Simmons.  After Blacklock, Gallimore and Madubuike’s combine performances they could become Day 1 selections.  Kinlaw kinda of scares me now with his current injury bug.  Draft day and FA can’t come fast enough to see what our future will become.

Overall not knowing much originally about Madukuike as an outsider I do believe he aced this combine.  What’s not to love guy can play both 3T and 5T,  has the size and speed we covet, and 31 reps on bench press.

Be wary of combine vs. tape.  Yes Brown was unathletic.  Yes Epanesa was slow.  But there are guys at the combine that don't show real well who go on to have great NFL careers.  The tape doesn't lie and you can fall in/out of love with a guy and get hoodwinked off of combine stats.

These guys aren't running track or throwing the shotput.  They're football players and there's a LOT more to playing football than speed, etc.

I hope this DOES knock Brown down to our spot and I hope Epanesa falls all the way down to round 2.  I'd take both and let the rebuild of the DL begin.

• Like 1

Brown didn't have the best numbers but keep in mind that for DTs those specific numbers are not the most meaningful. Technique and strength are much more predictive of success. It might mean that he will be best utilized next to a real good quick-twitch athlete though(like Greg Cosell suggested in one of his interviews). 

What I'm much more disappointed with is the numbers of the EDGE players... Yikes! I knew this class was bad, but damn... there is dearth of talent past Chase Young. With how good the WR, OT, CB classes look... I personally wouldn't mind if we just didn't pick even one EDGE player this year. 

It also looks more and more like 34 is a real sweet spot for DT for us. There are some nice explosive athletes that are going to be available in that range. If we don't pick one at 13, we probably are going to pick one at 34 IMO. 

Here are some later round EDGE players I have to look at after their combine numbers(good)

-Derrek Tuszka

-Jabari Zuniga and Jonathan Greenard 

-Alex Highsmith

-D.J. Wonnum

LBs:

-Casey Toohill? @NewColtsFan is he any good? Because he hits the athleticism marks and has long arms. 

-Azur Kamara (I watched some highlights of him - he was lining up on the LOS but no hand in the dirt, he's listed as LB... arms - 35"+!!!) 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here are some later round EDGE players I have to look at after their combine numbers(good)

-Derrek Tuszka

-Jabari Zuniga and Jonathan Greenard 

-Alex Highsmith

-D.J. Wonnum

LBs:

-Casey Toohill? @NewColtsFan is he any good? Because he hits the athleticism marks and has long arms. 

-Azur Kamara (I watched some highlights of him - he was lining up on the LOS but no hand in the dirt, he's listed as LB... arms - 35"+!!!) 

Hey...    Casey appears to have had a nice Combine.   Good for him.  This was the worst year in Stanford football in about 15 years.   Sometimes players can get lost in crappy seasons. 

But my hunch is...   Casey is not a scheme fit for our defense.   He’s played 3-4 OLB most of his career.  Now, he’s also been asked to play some hand in the dirt 4-3 DE but only situationally.  Can’t imagine he could do that as a full time job.  Zierlein writes about a lack of play strength.  

If we show interest I think it would be only as a R7-udfa type player and maybe he plays a year on the practice squad.  

Hey, thanks for asking!    :thmup:

• Thanks 1