Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will not get an extra 6th round pick

CR91

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is annoying, although we had the last pick in the round anyway. What was Ballard thinking, making the pick conditional?

Maybe it was the best offer he had and he didn't want to keep Harrison ? We probably needed the roster spot.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

I hope Ballard just picks BPA and tries the "Chad Kelly experiment" in 2020.

He tried the "Jacoby Brissett experiment" in 2019 and that was a failure.

I really think it's a sad state we're in at the QB position when people want Chad Kelly to start. 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

I really think it's a sad state we're in at the QB position when people want Chad Kelly to start. 

I'm not trying to get into a long discussion with you as anything either or anything any one of us could say in the matter would be pure conjecture from either side, however I'm not sure from just an even viewpoint where you personally would believe that, other than possibly Joe Burrow, where you believe that Chad Kelly is potentially worse than Rivers, Carr, any of the other rookie QB's in this years class, Brissett, Newton, Bridgewater, etc. Truth is, none of us truly know at all. I actually don't think it's that sad of a state at all. I think it could actually be a blessing in disguise IF the Colts actually let Kelly TRULY compete this year with no interference like Brissett was awarded last year. Why do you think it is sad? I can't speak for everyone else but I want Kelly to start as I'm excited to see if this kid is the playmaker I think he is

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

Chad Kelly is akin to starting a rookie with upside, Brissett has proven he's not the guy. If we draft Love/Herbert, then yes, I want them starting over Kelly. However, if we draft a Fromm/Eason/Gordon type, and they need to develop a year, then I'm starting Kelly over Brissett this year. No sense in throwing away a year while your drafted QB is on the bench. If Kelly fails, at least we know and there was a chance. If he succeeds, we have our franchise QB potentially.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

I'm not trying to get into a long discussion with you as anything either or anything any one of us could say in the matter would be pure conjecture from either side, however I'm not sure from just an even viewpoint where you personally would believe that, other than possibly Joe Burrow, where you believe that Chad Kelly is potentially worse than Rivers, Carr, any of the other rookie QB's in this years class, Brissett, Newton, Bridgewater, etc. Truth is, none of us truly know at all. I actually don't think it's that sad of a state at all. I think it could actually be a blessing in disguise IF the Colts actually let Kelly TRULY compete this year with no interference like Brissett was awarded last year. Why do you think it is sad? I can't speak for everyone else but I want Kelly to start as I'm excited to see if this kid is the playmaker I think he is

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Chad Kelly is akin to starting a rookie with upside, Brissett has proven he's not the guy. If we draft Love/Herbert, then yes, I want them starting over Kelly. However, if we draft a Fromm/Eason/Gordon type, and they need to develop a year, then I'm starting Kelly over Brissett this year. No sense in throwing away a year while your drafted QB is on the bench. If Kelly fails, at least we know and there was a chance. If he succeeds, we have our franchise QB potentially.

Because we're going from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck to Chad Kelly? An unproven, make up plays in the dirt, preseason caliber QB? I'm not lobbying for Rivers or Carr, I actually prefer Herbert, but when I see people ok with the idea of Chad Kelly starting, that's why I think the QB position is in a sad state.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Because we're going from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck to Chad Kelly? An unproven, make up plays in the dirt, preseason caliber QB? I'm not lobbying for Rivers or Carr, I actually prefer Herbert, but when I see people ok with the idea of Chad Kelly starting, that's why I think the QB position is in a sad state.

I understand from that standpoint, however the Peyton manning and Andrew Luck's of the world don't come around very often and most of these rookie QB's with exception of Burrow hold the same traits seemingly as Kelly, who we already have on our roster. we don't have to hope for trade ups or other teams not selecting him. I guess I'm just tired of trading one project for another. We currently have two project QB's on our roster, one was given a shot last year and IMO failed, this year the other should be given his shot. If Kelly fails, then next year we nix them both and proceed, but bringing in another rookie project QB without giving the project QB we already have his fair shot is just plain stupid. 

44 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I understand from that standpoint, however the Peyton manning and Andrew Luck's of the world don't come around very often and most of these rookie QB's with exception of Burrow hold the same traits seemingly as Kelly, who we already have on our roster. we don't have to hope for trade ups or other teams not selecting him. I guess I'm just tired of trading one project for another. We currently have two project QB's on our roster, one was given a shot last year and IMO failed, this year the other should be given his shot. If Kelly fails, then next year we nix them both and proceed, but bringing in another rookie project QB without giving the project QB we already have his fair shot is just plain stupid. 

You honestly think Herbert is no better then Chad Kelly

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You honestly think Herbert is no better then Chad Kelly

Honestly IDK.. No one can know that for sure at this point. I mean all we have at this point is college tape on each, each being very good from that standpoint and a little bit of preseason action from Kelly. As far as projection points go, no. I think each could be potentially very good in their own right, but time will tell if each gets a real chance to perform. Anything other than true NFL game action over a set amount of time is pure speculation on each player. 

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Honestly IDK.. No one can know that for sure at this point. I mean all we have at this point is college tape on each, each being very good from that standpoint and a little bit of preseason action from Kelly. As far as projection points go, no. I think each could be potentially very good in their own right, but time will tell if each gets a real chance to perform. Anything other than true NFL game action over a set amount of time is pure speculation on each player. 

I understand that, but we're talking about a guy that was the last pick of the draft to a guy that is more then likely going in the top 10. I just think we are putting way too much faith in a guy that has done nothing to deserve it.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I understand that, but we're talking about a guy that was the last pick of the draft to a guy that is more then likely going in the top 10. I just think we are putting way too much faith in a guy that has done nothing to deserve it.

Brady was a pick in the 6th round... Just sayin'... :default_20smile: Hopefully we can all be a little more open minded. I just lean towards not wasting a valuable draft pick on a QB, if the QB isn't deemed Pro Ready now as Luck was. That DT is a need we haven't had in that position since McFarland and maybe as far back as Siragusa.. I forgot how to spell Tony's last name...Ha!!

Just now, Indeee said:

Brady was a pick in the 6th round... Just sayin'... :default_20smile: Hopefully we can all be a little more open minded. I just lean towards not wasting a valuable draft pick on a QB, if the QB isn't deemed Pro Ready now as Luck was. That DT is a need we haven't had in that position since McFarland and maybe as far back as Siragusa.. I forgot how to spell Tony's last name...Ha!!

I'm just saying, we can do better. If you look at my latest mock off-season, I completely re-vamped the d-line to help take pressure off the offense while still drafting a QB to groom.

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm just saying, we can do better. If you look at my latest mock off-season, I completely re-vamped the d-line to help take pressure off the offense while still drafting a QB to groom.

Look, its no biggie in either scenario. At the end of the day, speaking for myself, whatever way the Colts go I can't control and will accept begrudgingly or not.. :). Your opinion is fine, you could be right, anyone of us might be. All we can hope for is that the one's in real control do what's needed to make our team better and a better team ultimately comes out of it. 

42 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Look, its no biggie in either scenario. At the end of the day, speaking for myself, whatever way the Colts go I can't control and will accept begrudgingly or not.. :). Your opinion is fine, you could be right, anyone of us might be. All we can hope for is that the one's in real control do what's needed to make our team better and a better team ultimately comes out of it. 

Either you win with a run game and defense or you win at QB and because of the current state of the colts, the former is the better option.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

I agree with you that it's a sad day if people are excited about Kelly being our starting QB.   However, he was drafted late mainly because his antics off the field, not because he isn't a talented football player.

Ballard has said it time and again, Kelly is still earning trust from the coaches and front office.  Kelly's uncle and Reich go way back, which probably gives him a little more lee-way in Indy than in other places.  

He seems to have stayed out of trouble since his arrest in Denver.  I don't think any of his arrests are the worst things in the world (not like he's Aaron Hernandez out murdering people, seems like mostly drunk things that a lot of 21-23 year olds do and aren't huge deals if they're not famous).  

I'd like to see him have a fair shot to compete this coming year.  That said, I doubt he outcompetes Jacoby.  If we do draft a rookie, I am still fine with Jacoby taking the bulk of the work, as many rookies take a year or two to really develop (mostly mentally) in the NFL.

I don't know that Jacoby's the franchise QB of the future, but if we improve some glaring weaknesses on our D and give Jacoby a few more weapons, I have faith we can win the AFC South next year without a new QB.

11 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree with you that it's a sad day if people are excited about Kelly being our starting QB.   However, he was drafted late mainly because his antics off the field, not because he isn't a talented football player.

Ballard has said it time and again, Kelly is still earning trust from the coaches and front office.  Kelly's uncle and Reich go way back, which probably gives him a little more lee-way in Indy than in other places.  

He seems to have stayed out of trouble since his arrest in Denver.  I don't think any of his arrests are the worst things in the world (not like he's Aaron Hernandez out murdering people, seems like mostly drunk things that a lot of 21-23 year olds do and aren't huge deals if they're not famous).  

I'd like to see him have a fair shot to compete this coming year.  That said, I doubt he outcompetes Jacoby.  If we do draft a rookie, I am still fine with Jacoby taking the bulk of the work, as many rookies take a year or two to really develop (mostly mentally) in the NFL.

I don't know that Jacoby's the franchise QB of the future, but if we improve some glaring weaknesses on our D and give Jacoby a few more weapons, I have faith we can win the AFC South next year without a new QB.

Obviously the kid has talent otherwise why is he even here, but we need more then Chad Kelly if we're gonna complete.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Obviously the kid has talent otherwise why is he even here, but we need more then Chad Kelly if we're gonna complete.

I don't really disagree with you there.  I don't have a lot of faith that Chad Kelly's the answer.  However, in the post I quoted you made it a point to highlight that Chad Kelly was the last pick in the draft.  He wasn't the last pick in the draft due to his talent, he was the last pick in the draft due to the fact he made some immature decisions when he was in college and teams had a red flag on him for that.  Not saying he'd have been a top 10 pick if he didn't make a few bone-headed decisions... but, he probably would have been drafted much, much higher.

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't really disagree with you there.  I don't have a lot of faith that Chad Kelly's the answer.  However, in the post I quoted you made it a point to highlight that Chad Kelly was the last pick in the draft.  He wasn't the last pick in the draft due to his talent, he was the last pick in the draft due to the fact he made some immature decisions when he was in college and teams had a red flag on him for that.  Not saying he'd have been a top 10 pick if he didn't make a few bone-headed decisions... but, he probably would have been drafted much, much higher.

Several said he was a R1 or 2 pick without the flags. One even said something like "first round arm, undrafted head"

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Apparently the reason we lost the pick was because Hairston was only active for 11 games. That was the conditional part of the trade according to colts wire

That's why i hate conditional picks. It was probably if he played 12 games and they just held him out for 1 gam.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:20 PM, CR91 said:

I think people are just desperate not to have Brissett as the starter next season.  

I'm not on the Kelly should start bandwagon, but I'd rather he did than Brissett.  I at least want to see him in some game action.   I was bummed he didn't play in the last game last season.  I've watched a few of his college games and he looked great.  

Archived