Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Quick First Round Mock Through Our Pick

So, I figured with what limited knowledge I have I will look through probable picks and come up with a list of who should be available when we select at 13. Here we go:

1, Bengals) Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Easy pick here, shouldn't be anyone else going to Cincinnati.

2, Redskins) Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State

Another no brainer, this is where it gets more difficult though.

3, Lions) Jeffery Okudah, CB, Ohio State

Lions need help in the pass defense department, and Okudah is elite. Might also go with Derrick Brown.

4, Giants) Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

NY will be looking for a replacement for Odell and will find it in Jeudy. Might go with CeeDee Lamb if they like him more.

5, Dolphins) Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

Another easy pick, if Tua is there he is going.

6, Chargers) Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

I see Brady moving to the Chargers in the offseason, and they need a lot of help on the O-line, so Wills is my pick. May be Herbert if Brady doesn't move here.

7, Panthers) Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

With Keuchly's retirement, they need help at LB. Simmons is the perfect slot in for this pick.

8, Cardinals) Tristan Wirfs, OT/OG, Iowa

They need help on the O-line badly, anther pick might be Andrew Thomas.

9, Jaguars) CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

Jacksonville needs WR help. Lamb is exactly what they're looking for.

10, Browns) Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

The next LT Thomas for the Browns. They have needed help since Joe left, Andrew is their solution.

11, Jets) Mekhi Becton, OT, Lousiville

Jets are another team with holes on the line, so they might reach slightly for a prospect like Becton.

12, Raiders) Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

A great corner, which the newly moved Las Vegas Raiders need desperately.

And that brings us to the Colts pick. Wow, so many options to choose from. Certainly some of these names could flip, but I can see this happening easily, leaving us with a difficult decision. Which of these players would you take??

Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

AJ Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa

Or would you rather go for a different player here? I want to hear some opinions, but personally I think we have to go with either Brown or Kinlaw here, either Brown for the better overall player or Kinlaw for the better pass rush. Either way, this would be a dream scenario for us and really open the door for a lot of interesting options, and it easily could come true.

This would be a difficult decision but we cannot sit back and be passive about improving our QB position, especially after what we have seen and heard about Herbert. Herbert for me.

Kinlaw would be great but the positional value for a QB with upside like that for Herbert is far greater than with Kinlaw. If he wasn't there, it would be different. Herbert hands down in this exact situation, especially when you don't have to give up more draft capital than your scheduled spot.

• Like 1

This situation screams trade up. I'd either take Brown and try to immediately trade back up for Herbert/Love or take HerberttLove and try to immediately trade back up for Brown/Kinlaw. Any of that combination for our first two picks would be absolute home runs, imo and I'd be counting the days to getting jersey numbers assigned and buying a new jersey asap, lol

That is a truely a tough one. I feel that Brown is a sure blue chip prospect, but Herbert there is almost to good to pass up. Showing all the intangibles at the senior bowl. He has issues with pressure but he has our o-line. I dont see him getting past the Raiders in reality though. Probably not making it past the lions or Panthers either. This is going to be a good draft. Sad football season is almost over. Love that its draft season. 

1 minute ago, KB said:

That is a truely a tough one. I feel that Brown is a sure blue chip prospect, but Herbert there is almost to good to pass up. Showing all the intangibles at the senior bowl. He has issues with pressure but he has our o-line. I dont see him getting past the Raiders in reality though. Probably not making it past the lions or Panthers either. This is going to be a good draft. Sad football season is almost over. Love that its draft season. 

Is it weird that I like the Draft better than the season?

• Like 2

I would take Derrick Brown no question. He would give us a dominant DT we have not had in YEARS. He would make our DL nasty, and Turay, Houston, Banagu would all benefit from Brown's presence. 

We could still get a QB like Eason or possibly even Love with our 34th overall pick. I'm not fully sold on Herbert. 

• Like 1

I’m not very excited about Epenesa.  I’ve read he might be a better fit in a
3-4 defense.   

I don’t see him as athletic or twitchy enough either for a 4-3 edge or 3-Tech.  Certainly not in Ballard’s defense.   I could change my mind after the combine, but he’s going to have to show me something I don’t expect.

Otherwise, I don’t think it’s likely that Brown lasts to Pick 13.   I think someone was hoping with their heart and not their head.    If he’s there I’d take him.  

Next would be Kinlaw.   I’d prefer a DT with our first round pick, and a QB at pick 34.   

But if Herbert,  or another QB, is the pick at 13, then I’d be fine.  I trust this front office until they give me reason not to. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

So, I figured with what limited knowledge I have I will look through probable picks and come up with a list of who should be available when we select at 13. Here we go:

1, Bengals) Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Easy pick here, shouldn't be anyone else going to Cincinnati.

2, Redskins) Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State

Another no brainer, this is where it gets more difficult though.

3, Lions) Jeffery Okudah, CB, Ohio State

Lions need help in the pass defense department, and Okudah is elite. Might also go with Derrick Brown.

4, Giants) Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

NY will be looking for a replacement for Odell and will find it in Jeudy. Might go with CeeDee Lamb if they like him more.

5, Dolphins) Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

Another easy pick, if Tua is there he is going.

6, Chargers) Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

I see Brady moving to the Chargers in the offseason, and they need a lot of help on the O-line, so Wills is my pick. May be Herbert if Brady doesn't move here.

7, Panthers) Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

With Keuchly's retirement, they need help at LB. Simmons is the perfect slot in for this pick.

8, Cardinals) Tristan Wirfs, OT/OG, Iowa

They need help on the O-line badly, anther pick might be Andrew Thomas.

9, Jaguars) CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

Jacksonville needs WR help. Lamb is exactly what they're looking for.

10, Browns) Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

The next LT Thomas for the Browns. They have needed help since Joe left, Andrew is their solution.

11, Jets) Mekhi Becton, OT, Lousiville

Jets are another team with holes on the line, so they might reach slightly for a prospect like Becton.

12, Raiders) Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

A great corner, which the newly moved Las Vegas Raiders need desperately.

And that brings us to the Colts pick. Wow, so many options to choose from. Certainly some of these names could flip, but I can see this happening easily, leaving us with a difficult decision. Which of these players would you take??

Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

AJ Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa

Or would you rather go for a different player here? I want to hear some opinions, but personally I think we have to go with either Brown or Kinlaw here, either Brown for the better overall player or Kinlaw for the better pass rush. Either way, this would be a dream scenario for us and really open the door for a lot of interesting options, and it easily could come true.

Looks to me like Becton and Fulton will still be available and Herbert and Brown will be gone.

That said, if we don't want Love or Kinlaw here, CB can trade back quite a ways to get as much capital as possible.

What @chad72 said.  Pick 13 is not a huge gamble for a QB.  Not a great loss of investment if he doesn't work out.  Positional players are less valued, so a waste of a pick 13 on a positional player is a bigger deal.

I would take the highest floor QB at whatever slot made sense, and if Herbert is still on the board at 13, that's an easy pick.