Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 1.0 Colts Offseason

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Why on earth would Ballard spend another 10 mil on Funchess when he got nothing out of him this past season? Injury or not that would be just stupid. 

And instead of paying Hilton that much over 4 years, Ballard would be wise to keep in mind his age. 

And Indy has to find impact players at DT and possibly OT. 

Funchess is the only big bodied target we have and very little depth already also Hilton won't turn 31 til nov and was still playing at a top level before he got hurt. Brockers isn't an impact player? I re-signed AC and Haeg and drafted a T

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Why on earth would Ballard spend another 10 mil on Funchess when he got nothing out of him this past season? Injury or not that would be just stupid. 

And instead of paying Hilton that much over 4 years, Ballard would be wise to keep in mind his age. 

Regarding Funchess they wanted him bad enough to pay him 10m.  The only difference is that he broke his collarbone, lost a season and is a year older and still young at that.  Now he might not get 10m again but who knows if he would want to come back with JB as the guy.  It works both ways.  But if he wants to come back I would bring him back.  

I think Kelly and Hilton are both already on the books for next year...so their extensions wouldn't really affect the available cap space...at least not to that degree.

I can't imagine giving Funchess $10M again. Injuries happen...but a lot of has changed since they gave him that deal. The guy that was supposedly going to turn Funchess into a real threat (a dubious propostion to begin with IMO) has retired..and an UDFA stepped in and provided production...and he will cost a fraction of that $10M next year. I think the Colts have Hilton, Campbell and Pascal as the returning players...and then you add two legit rookie WRs to the mix...and maybe some vet/UDFA competition.

With that much cap space, I would hope to do more than add Michael Brockers. I don't really have any interest in Vance McDonald...certainly not on anything more than a really cheap one-year deal.

I love the offensive focus in the draft...that is my preferred route.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Regarding Funchess they wanted him bad enough to pay him 10m.  The only difference is that he broke his collarbone, lost a season and is a year older and still young at that.  Now he might not get 10m again but who knows if he would want to come back with JB as the guy.  It works both ways.  But if he wants to come back I would bring him back.  

Funchess is in a tough spot. It's a weak FA group...but it's a very strong draft. His best bet will likely be somewhere he can get targets with a good QB and rebuild his value for another go at FA. But to do that...he might have to sacrifice a bit of money next season.

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Misleading stat bout our run D. Teams just passed so effortlessly against the pass D, they didn't have run all that much

It is somewhat misleading. I think DVOA is probably a better way to rank...and the Colts were in the bottom half of the league (#20). Look at BAL as well...they were top 10 in rushing yard/s game...but #19 in run defense DVOA...because they were up big a lot and teams would abandon the run.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Yeah...I hope Funchess and the Colts both move on.

Giving TY a 4-year deal seems very optimistic...but attaching that much gtd money to it makes it risky. He will be 31 when he starts his next deal...and he has had to play through injuries the past couple of years. It's going to be interesting to see how he approaches his future...not just how the Colts approach it. I could see him sticking around for a year or two...and then retiring.

I think CR91 is right is wanting a 1Tech DT. We really missed Woods early in the season. Having a big DT really helps out everyone else... if he demands 2 blockers every play then that means 1v1s for everyone else. And it means that the LBers should be more free to play in space. Having an interior monster helps everyone else... I will say that Stewart really come on as the season progressed and Autry maybe isn’t the long term answer at 3T but having someone good next to him should help him out drastically!

I haven’t had the chance to sit down and look through the the DT prospects but I think there is a good chance we take a DT round 1. I don’t see Ballard reaching for a QB even if we really need one this year. I think we will stick to value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I think Kelly and Hilton are both already on the books for next year...so their extensions wouldn't really affect the available cap space...at least not to that degree.

I can't imagine giving Funchess $10M again. Injuries happen...but a lot of has changed since they gave him that deal. The guy that was supposedly going to turn Funchess into a real threat (a dubious propostion to begin with IMO) has retired..and an UDFA stepped in and provided production...and he will cost a fraction of that $10M next year. I think the Colts have Hilton, Campbell and Pascal as the returning players...and then you add two legit rookie WRs to the mix...and maybe some vet/UDFA competition.

With that much cap space, I would hope to do more than add Michael Brockers. I don't really have any interest in Vance McDonald...certainly not on anything more than a really cheap one-year deal.

The new money they get for the deal will effect the cap. As far as Hilton and funchess goes, we need both because we lack experience at that position. Funchess's injury was unfortunate, but he played well vs the chargers and we need a big body target. Hilton was putting up really good numbers before he got hurt and he's been critical to the team's success. With all the extension and players like Mack, Nelson, and Leonard that will soon get big contracts, we can't go hard in FAs. I do think Brockers fills a big void to help not only our run defense, but also keep our LBers clean. Mcdonald is sure handed and a possession target that we need along with a very good blocker.

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

Colts Projected Cap Space 96.5

Resign

Castonzo - 3 year 36 mil 18 mil G

Sheard - 2 year 20 mil 10 G

Funchess 1 year 10 mil

Haeg - 3 year 15 mil 5 mil G

Cap Space 59.5 mil

Extend

Hilton - 4 year 60 mil 30 mil G

Kelly - 4 year 48 mil 25 mil G

Walker - 5 year 40 mil 20 mil G

Cap Space 24.5 mil

Cut

Hoyer - save 5 mil

Hunt - save 4 mil

Cap Space 33.5 mil

Free Agent

Michael Brockers 3 year 42 mil 14 mil G

Vance Mcdonald 2 year 15 mil 7 mil G

Cap Space 11.5 mil

Draft

Colts trade their 44th pick and next year 2nd with the Chargers

1. Justin Herbert QB Oregon

I think the past year has showed that Brisett's limitations especially with passes past 20 yards will keep the offense from being effective and not allow us to take advantage of Hilton and Campbell. Herbert has a beautiful deep ball and can actually move inside and outside the pocket.

2. Justin Jefferson WR LSU

Its a stretch yes, but there a lot of good WRs in this draft so he can fall to our redskin pick. Jefferson's had an amazing 2019 year as Burrow's top option and this allows him to grow with Herbert

3. Kyle Dugger S Lenoir-Rhyne

Small small prospect with huge upside at 6 2 215 and 4.4 speed. Gives us a replacement for Geathers and adds much needed depth to our secondary.

4. Matt Peart T Connecticut

I don't see the colts re-signing Clark so the colts will need oline depth. Peart has good size and durability and we know how much Ballard loves seniors.

5. Harrison Bryant TE Flordia Atlantic

I like Bryant as a project TE to learn from Doyle and Mcdonald. Played well in 2019 with 1000 yards and 7 scores.

6. Aaron Parker WR Rhode Island

Small school prospect with great size and a big stat line in 2019

6. Christian Rector DE USC

Rector will fall in the draft hard after a horrible 2019 season, but prior years he showed a lot of talent with 12 sacks the past prior seasons.

7. John Houston Jr ILB USC

Provides us with some LBer depth

I kind of feel like another 10M contract for Funchess cannot be justified. He already got that and he missed the whole year. I doubt he will command that much again. In my mock I gave him 5. I guess we will see soon what he will get.

I personally probably would let Walker go if he demands that much money. I don't think he's as irreplaceable as to give him 8 a year and for 5 years... that's a ton. 

I like the free agency signings and I like the draft. I think it's reasonable price to move up and something I can see Ballard doing if he loves Herbert. I haven't watched Peart, I will have to take a look at him. IMO at some point during this draft we will have to pick a player that could in the future challenge for LT spot even if AC returns.

Overall good job on your mock. Cheers. :cheers:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think many have forgotten the other DF ( D. Fountain). I am not sure where PC is going to finally land for this offense but I definitely don’t see this team (nor do I see Funch wanting to come back here) giving Funch 10 mil/yr again when we have such the ?? at QB currently. I think you’re right though with TY, PC and Pascal but let’s not forget to add in Fountain and then they were extremely high on Ashton Dulin and then Frank loves Marcus Johnson. Unless there is a guy who falls to us in the 3rd round, I can’t see why this team would ignore the trench spots first or the QB spot if CB’s guy falls in his lap. I just feel like this team is pretty well enough set at the wr spot for the 2020 season under our currently structured team. If we had Luck suited up for 2020, I’d be fine acquiring that star wr in the first and DT next. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I think many have forgotten the other DF ( D. Fountain). I am not sure where PC is going to finally land for this offense but I definitely don’t see this team (nor do I see Funch wanting to come back here) giving Funch 10 mil/yr again when we have such the ?? at QB currently. I think you’re right though with TY, PC and Pascal but let’s not forget to add in Fountain and then they were extremely high on Ashton Dulin and then Frank loves Marcus Johnson. Unless there is a guy who falls to us in the 3rd round, I can’t see why this team would ignore the trench spots first or the QB spot if CB’s guy falls in his lap. I just feel like this team is pretty well enough set at the wr spot for the 2020 season under our currently structured team. If we had Luck suited up for 2020, I’d be fine acquiring that star wr in the first and DT next. 

Yeah...guys like DF, Johnson and Duhlin would round out the vet competition for next year...battling for 1-2 spots (depending on injuries). I just think this draft class is loaded with WR talent...and the Colts should be looking at grabbing two of them. 

55 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

giving TY 4 years would be a mistake IMO, he is clearly showing signs of wear and tear, seems a little worn out by injuries. 

One injury is not showing wear and tear. He was playing great even without being a deep threat by Brisett inability to throw deep

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I kind of feel like another 10M contract for Funchess cannot be justified. He already got that and he missed the whole year. I doubt he will command that much again. In my mock I gave him 5. I guess we will see soon what he will get.

I personally probably would let Walker go if he demands that much money. I don't think he's as irreplaceable as to give him 8 a year and for 5 years... that's a ton. 

I like the free agency signings and I like the draft. I think it's reasonable price to move up and something I can see Ballard doing if he loves Herbert. I haven't watched Peart, I will have to take a look at him. IMO at some point during this draft we will have to pick a player that could in the future challenge for LT spot even if AC returns.

Overall good job on your mock. Cheers. :cheers:

Walker and Leonard work too well together to split up. 8 mil imo is actually cheap. As far as LT is concerned, I think we still have at least 3 years. At that point, I think Smith would be ready to move to the left

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Chargers won't pass on Herbert just to get an extra second round pick this year and next year. It will take more draft picks to move up to the top 8, IMO.

I think the prices for Sheard, Haeg, and TY are too high.

Brady could go to the chargers. Hilton maybe, but how is Sheard and Haeg expensive? It's just 10 mil and 5 mil. Similar to Sheard's prior contract and we need oline depth 

12 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I don’t think Hilton, Kelly, or Walker are worth what you want to pay them. 

Kelly is one of the best centers in football. We need to pay him. Without Hilton, our entire offense suffered. 8 mil is not a lot.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:31 PM, CR91 said:

And you can just move Stewart to the 3 with Brockers playing the one. Fixes our run defense and we can still rush the QB

Move Stewart to the 3?    I’m ok with Brockets at the 1...   but Stewart at the 3 us a huge step back.   He’s not a 3.  At all.     He’s a decent pass rusher for the 1.   But that doesn’t make a good pass rusher for the three.   The responsibilities and skill sets are different.   It’s not as simple as just living over a few feet and doing the same thing.   Not at all.  Not even a little.  Sorry.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Move Stewart to the 3?    I’m ok with Brockets at the 1...   but Stewart at the 3 us a huge step back.   He’s not a 3.  At all.     He’s a decent pass rusher for the 1.   But that doesn’t make a good pass rusher for the three.   The responsibilities and skill sets are different.   It’s not as simple as just living over a few feet and doing the same thing.   Not at all.  Not even a little.  Sorry.  

This X8

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just on run downs. 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Brady could go to the chargers. Hilton maybe, but how is Sheard and Haeg expensive? It's just 10 mil and 5 mil. Similar to Sheard's prior contract and we need oline depth 

They might sign Brady, but I still don't see the LAC passing on a 6'6" QB of the future for a 43 yr old Brady and only getting 2 seconds (which next year's second is like a 3rd this year). 

Sheard's two years older.  I wouldn't do much guaranteed.  Haeg feels more like $3 mil than $5mil.  Maybe they're worth it.  I think they could be had for less than what you have.

And I missed it the first read:  Stewart is no 3T, and we really don't have a good one on the roster.  We may need 2 this off season, thinking Autry could go.

But I agree with the other part, we need a better 1T than Stewart.  He's a backup, IMO.

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They might sign Brady, but I still don't see the LAC passing on a 6'6" QB of the future for a 43 yr old Brady and only getting 2 seconds (which next year's second is like a 3rd this year). 

Sheard's two years older.  I wouldn't do much guaranteed.  Haeg feels more like $3 mil than $5mil.  Maybe they're worth it.  I think they could be had for less than what you have.

And I missed it the first read:  Stewart is no 3T, and we really don't have a good one on the roster.  We may need 2 this off season, thinking Autry could go.

But I agree with the other part, we need a better 1T than Stewart.  He's a backup, IMO.

Just seems like chargers would be in win now mode and more focus on helping Brady then getting someone for him to mentor. 

38 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

No way in hades anyone pays 3 years $15 million for Haeg, a career backup. That is Darwin Awards worthy.

Haeg is not a career backup. He was a starter for a number of years before we got Nelson and he's the Swiss army knife of our line in case anyone gets hurt. We need him

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

No team in the league would pay that much for him. $1-2 million a year at most.

Haeg made $2,025,000. last season and earned every penny. 

His new contract I imagine will exceed that.

You grossly under value what he is worth to this team. 

Your comment is void because he has already been paid over what you think he is worth. 

Ballard is not in the habit of over paying players and Haeg has earned the money he is going to be paid. 

On 1/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Haeg made $2,025,000. last season and earned every penny. 

His new contract I imagine will exceed that.

You grossly under value what he is worth to this team. 

Your comment is void because he has already been paid over what you think he is worth. 

Ballard is not in the habit of over paying players and Haeg has earned the money he is going to be paid. 

Exactly. Having depth especially on the line is important.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:16 PM, CR91 said:

Walker and Leonard work too well together to split up. 8 mil imo is actually cheap. As far as LT is concerned, I think we still have at least 3 years. At that point, I think Smith would be ready to move to the left

That’s an interesting point I haven’t heard anyone mention before. Smith to LT.  If he could handle it that would great.

• Like 1

I would like to see us build a bad-* DLine like NOW.  If I could peg my dream off-season for the Colts, it would look like this:  We draft either Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw.  We sign Chris Jones and Erik Armstead in FA.  This would give us a starting front 4 of Houston, (Brown or Kinlaw), Jones, and Armstead.  Not too shabby there.  On top of that, I draft a CB with one of the round 2 picks and a WR with the other, then sign another in FA (maybe just re-sign Funchess?).  This defense would be HARD to deal with, and if we end up stuck with Jacoby again, at least we could make it a little easier on him without having to air it out so much.  Our running game is good.  Our defensive front 7 would be outstanding.  We might give up a little in the passing game depending on who we bring in at CB and IF the opposing QB has any time to throw.  But I think they would be hard to score on in the red zone.  And I don't mind winning games 17-13.

I know I know.  I'm crazy and it'll never happen.  But a man can wish.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:00 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Getting rid of a 38 year old for a 43 year old.?

I see LAC going with Herbert

If they want Brady to mentor fine, but Brady is not the answer to LAC hole

brady was better this year with less talent around him 

18 hours ago, CR91 said:

It's unrealistic. That is a lot of money to throw at players when we have never been high spenders in FA

Well, again it's what I would LIKE to see them do.  Besides, its only a couple of high dollar FA's really.  They got all that money and could if they wanted.  But you're right, history is not on my side in this one.  But it would be sweet!