Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts plan for Chad Kelly.

NannyMcafee

32 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Rest assured, the Colts already believe they know what they have in C. Kelly.

ALL in all.......  I am coming around to:

CK isnt in the future plans for the Colts

If he was....... we wouldnt have brought in Hoyer, and we would take this no risk opportunity to put him on the field

I HOPE that we pick up a QB with one of our first 3 picks to develop behind Brissett for next year

MAYBE they hope to pick up someone like Dalton from Cincy (Not my choice) to compete

I am an ENORMOUS fan for Riech and Chris Ballard.......   But

If they continue into next year, without another QB (in trade, FA, or draft)  and have JB as the  future starter....... They need to be (and will be) changed out

The opposing defensive coordinators have figured that you stack the line to stop our run, and then watch JB miss the pass...... 

JB's new name to me is "Three and Out"

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MPStack said:

Until C. Kelly actually gets playing time or screws up again, we just don’t know what the Colts have in Swag. I’d like to see him gets some reps, but by no means think he a franchise QB. 

Not many fans know what he is. Now that the Colts have no chance of post season play, I, personally, want to see for myself why they opened a roster spot for him to serve his suspension, paid him handsomely to be on the P.S., then kept him on the 53 man even after JB returned from his injury.

I don't like the talk Reich/Sirianni still don't know completely what JB likes and can do vs. what he doesn't and can't, so now wanting to tweak things, try things.  Go ahead... do it in meaningless games now and put it on tape for DC's to prepare for next year.

I'd like to be (have been) in the room when Frank and Chris are explaining the 2nd half season free fall to Jim Irsay, and the plans to address it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dw49 said:

"Maybe Reich and Ballard truly believe he can develop and become a franchise QB. Maybe they’re right. I guess we’ll see."

Like the princess that kissed that frog who turned into a prince ? 

Just to clarify: I suspect his defects are part of his make up rather than something that can be coached out of him.

I suspect Reich is really convinced Jacoby has long-term potential but maybe it’s answering the question of the backup role.

Most of all, I’m hoping they will objectively allow competition at QB in the spring between Jacoby, a draft pick or FA and Chad Kelly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Knowing my luck, JB will go out and throw for 400 and 4 the last 2 games and cement his spot, Ballard/Reich won't draft a guy and we will go 8-8 next year. Rinse/repeat. 

Here's the bar. This is Russell Wilson's stats last weekend vs. Panthers-

20-of-26 (76.9 percent) passing for 286 yards (11.0 YPA) and two touchdowns, with no interceptions, sacked twice, passer rating of 137.7.  Seahawks/Carroll are a run first team, too.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Rest assured, the Colts already believe they know what they have in C. Kelly.

Fans don't. They did a lot to get and keep him on the roster as a #3. Why?

This time of year is too busy for me to worry about finding ways to listen to the Colts on radio (I never get them on TV here) 'tweak' things against other teams also out of the playoffs and nothing to play for either. 

I'll be visiting the grandchildren, going to work parties, attending family get togethers, etc.  I have NFL game pass if I feel like watching any part of it at a later time.  Or not. We'll see.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here's the bar. This is Russell Wilson's stats last weekend vs. Panthers-

20-of-26 (76.9 percent) passing for 286 yards (11.0 YPA) and two touchdowns, with no interceptions, sacked twice, passer rating of 137.7.  Seahawks/Carroll are a run first team, too.

Fans don't. They did a lot to get and keep him on the roster as a #3.

This time of year is too busy for me to worry about finding ways to listen to the Colts on radio (I never get them on TV here) 'tweak' things against other teams also out of the playoffs and nothing to play for either. 

I'll be visiting the grandchildren, going to work parties, attending family get togethers, etc.  I have NFL game pass if I feel like watching any part of it at a later time.  Or not. We'll see.

Why would the Colts front office care, at a decision making level, whether the fans know what the Colts have in C. Kelly?

While they seem interested in keeping him, I would dispute that the Colts did much at all to get C. Kelly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Why would the Colts front office care, at a decision making level, whether the fans know what the Colts have in C. Kelly?

This is an entertainment business.  Entertain whom?  Fans. Their dollars fuel the NFL engine.

Winning drives it. Star Power enhances it.  I feel once the winning is out of the picture, changes and hope enter. Not attempting little tweaks with plans to demolish other losing teams that are making changes in meaningless games.

While they seem interested in keeping him, I would dispute that the Colts did much at all to get C. Kelly.

Used a coveted 53 man roster spot while he was on probation, spent almost as much money for him to be on the P.S. as he got when he was promoted up to the 53 man roster (almost unheard of for a professional pine sitter).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This is an entertainment business.  Entertain whom?  Fans. Their dollars fuel the NFL engine.

Winning drives it. Star Power enhances it.  I feel once the winning is out of the picture, changes and hope enter. Not attempting little tweaks with plans to demolish other losing teams that are making changes in meaningless games.

Used a coveted 53 man roster spot while he was on probation, spent almost as much money for him to be on the P.S. as he got when he was promoted up to the 53 man roster (almost unheard of for a professional pine sitter).

Kelly was suspended without pay and was not part of the team for those two games. they then made a decision to put him on the PS rather than the 53 man roster when he came off suspension. Was not on probation.

26 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Well, at least he is hearing the question.  If he hears it too much Jacoby might all of a sudden get a mysterious injury and have to go in IR.

Knowing this organization, they probably just release Chad to have the issue go away.  No one will clamour for Hoyer.

13 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Well, at least he is hearing the question.  If he hears it too much Jacoby might all of a sudden get a mysterious injury and have to go in IR.

Knowing this organization, they probably just release Chad to have the issue go away.  No one will clamour for Hoyer.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hoyer so long as he got some first team reps. He didn't look bad vs Pitt, and he had zero 1st team reps going into the Miami game. And then Reich decides he wants to throw it all over the field with a back up with no 1st team reps vs a team that is 2nd to last in run D. IMO, that debacle of a game was far more on Reich than Hoyer.

Not that I think Hoyer is great or anything, but that week was a huge turd all around for Reich.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Kelly was suspended without pay and was not part of the team for those two games. they then made a decision to put him on the PS rather than the 53 man roster when he came off suspension. Was not on probation.

Somewhat true, except italicized...

Kelly (in theory) made the 53, but then went on suspension (not probation, this is true). While serving his suspension the 53rd roster spot was reopened again.  Upon serving the suspension, the Colts had to place him back on the 53 man roster (and then either release or waive somebody) , or waive him (CK). He couldn't just 'go to the practice squad' by decision. The Colts waived him.  All other 31 teams passed on picking him up though. Then, the Colts signed him to their practice squad until calling him back up to the 53 man in early November when JB was hurt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Somewhat true, except italicized...

Kelly (in theory) made the 53, but then went on suspension (not probation, this is true). While serving his suspension the 53rd roster spot was reopened again.  Upon serving the suspension, the Colts had to place him back on the 53 man roster (and then either release or waive somebody) , or waive him (CK). He couldn't just 'go to the practice squad' by decision. The Colts waived him.  All other 31 teams passed on picking him up though. Then, the Colts signed him to their practice squad until calling him back up to the 53 man in early November when JB was hurt.

Don't totally disagree with what you are saying here which is about the same as I said. Originally you said:'Used a coveted 53 man roster spot while he was on probation'. Not true. He was not on the 53 man roster while on suspension or even part of the team. Once suspension was over the Colts had to make a choice to put him on the 53 man roster or cut him and if he cleared waivers then put him on the PS. I omitted the clear waiver but the main point I was trying to make is that he didn't use a 'coveted 53 man roster' during his suspension.

54 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Used a coveted 53 man roster spot while he was on probation'. Not true.

You're correct, not true.

4 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

they then made a decision to put him on the PS rather than the 53 man roster when he came off suspension.

You're incorrect here as well.

54 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Once suspension was over the Colts had to make a choice to put him on the 53 man roster or cut him and if he cleared waivers then put him on the PS.

Now you got it, after I had already pointed that out.

My point is we let him serve his suspension, knowing another team could then take him and he never get back to our P.S. when he was waived. But he wasn't, but room on the P.S. had to be made, and he was getting paid almost NFL 53 man roster minimum while on it.

13 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If they continue into next year, without another QB (in trade, FA, or draft)  and have JB as the  future starter....... They need to be (and will be) changed out

I disagree with both those bolded statements. They shouldn't...and won't.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You're correct, not true.

You're incorrect here as well.

Now you got it, after I had already pointed that out.

My point is we let him serve his suspension, knowing another team could then take him and he never get back to our P.S. when he was waived. But he wasn't, but room on the P.S. had to be made, and he was getting paid almost NFL 53 man roster minimum while on it.

But you still haven't got it. He didn't " Used a coveted 53 man roster spot while he was on probation"(suspension). He was not paid or officially on the team. 

19 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Or... Rest assured, the Colts are simply saving face with Jacoby Brissett, and refuse to see what they have in C. Kelly.

Oh, I'm sure you're correct, the Colts have absolutely no idea what they have in C. Kelly, they are just being stubborn, eyeroll.

9 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I disagree with both those bolded statements. They shouldn't...and won't.

Everyone gets an opinion, and I am glad that you expressed yours

As I stated in my thread.....  Im a HUGE fan of the coach and GM

But...... If you cant see that JB is NOT the QB of the future, we will agree to disagree

If our GM and HC cant see that JB is NOT the QB of the future.......  and trot him out there for 2020, without anyone on on the bench to develop.......    Then I wonder about them

Decisions like this, get people fired all the time

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone needs to remember they watch Kelly in practice everyday. If they though he was that good they would be making a change.

Right now you try and work and improve what you have. No one knows if a QB will even be available in the draft. There might be a FA QB once the spring hits. So when you don’t know what your options are going to be you try and improve what you have. If we do draft a QB and they need to sit we need Jacoby to be the guy for one more year. This will play out everyone just needs to be patient. This isn’t going to be easy.

Yes, running the scout team offense is the best way to display one's starter potential.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:39 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Oh I get it, that's why I said "through next year". Being politically correct, and not hurting guys feelings is great til you get fired for it. At the end of the day this is a business, and Jacoby is very obviously not getting it done, there's only so many times you can get up on the podium and coach-speak. I for one am tired of it, call it for what it is, there needs to be some accountability somewhere. 

Truthspeak^^^^

22 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Or... Rest assured, the Colts are simply saving face with Jacoby Brissett, and refuse to see what they have in C. Kelly.

Ballard signed Jacoby to a 2 year 30 million extension with 20 million at signing. He is saving face because he has messed up Irsay's money.... and he knows this.

Side note... Adam V was made the 7th highest paid kicker during the off season..... But we have lots of money in cap space to cover these bad decisions...:woah: 

Must be fun to spend another man's money poorly with no pushback

11 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Must be fun to spend another man's money poorly with no pushback

You don't know what is discussed in meetings between Irsay and Ballard and or Reich.

And yes, there are meetings.

This story after KC playoff loss, but before Luck retired...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/04/02/colts-jim-irsay-chris-ballard-frank-reich-andrew-luck-expectations/3331802002/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

You guys should listen to this. Jacoby was on the fan this morning. They ask him what he thought if Kelly would get some playing time the last two weeks. He goes I am the quarterback. Then they made fun of him for the wide open guys he missed. He took it all in fun though.

I heard this and JB had lots of short answers to questions about the team's struggles, especially his own.  Not sure if it was tongue in cheek, or if he's just tired of answering questions over the past few weeks during this awful stretch they've had.  But, he does sound very serious and committed to getting better and playing to improve the last two weeks of the season.

Jacoby is always like that when he is in front of the press. I don’t think it’s anything new. I do love him saying I am the quarterback. He knows he is going to have to keep working to keep the job. I know some people don’t want to see him play next year but if everyone stays healthy and we upgrade I am intrigued to see if he can improve next year having a entire off season to work on his weaknesses.

• Like 1