Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Funchess Again

Mr.Debonair

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

A guy on a one year contract who happened to get hurt isn’t a bust it’s just part of football.  It’s not like he gave him a long term expensive contract or traded a first round pick for him.  That would be a Grigson level bust.  These things happen in football.  Ballard couldn’t have known that ahead of time.  If he did then of course he wouldn’t have signed him.  It stinks but this does little to no damage to the long term future of the team like Grigson did several times over.  

I disagree.

Saying it was Grigson level was an exaggeration but so far, signing Funch has been a bust.

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

I disagree.

Saying it was Grigson level was an exaggeration but so far, signing Funch has been a bust.

That I can live with it’s mostly the Grigson part I disagreed with.  He made several moves that set this team back for years.  This hurt this year and that’s it.  All GMs have moves like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That I can live with it’s mostly the Grigson part I disagreed with.  He made several moves that set this team back for years.  This hurt this year and that’s it.  All GMs have moves like that.

I have a feeling that's the part that most posters here disagreed with, and I understand why.

Grigson to Colts fans is like Voldemort to Harry Potter.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Hmm.  You have me thinking now about Ebron’s contract.  If it was incentive based, it would explain a few things.

Nope, very different. In short, maybe Ebron loses $15.6K per game for the rest of the year depending on the IR/pay rules. Funch loses nothing, just won't hit his incentive.

Ebron

$6.25M guaranteed (2018 salary + 2018 roster bonus)

2018 Roster Bonus: $5M

2019 Roster Bonus: $1M (3/17/2019)

Per Game Active Bonus: $15,625 ($250,000)

LTBE Incentives: $250,000

Funchess

$7,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000.

base salary of $3,000,000

roster bonus of $7,000,000,

1000 yard bonus of $3,000,000

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A team is still allowed to return only two players from IR with the designate.

Correct but they do not designate those players anymore. Anyone on IR is eligible. In years passed, they had to designate that when placing players on IR. That went away. There is literally no designate at all. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Correct but they do not designate those players anymore. Anyone on IR is eligible. In years passed, they had to designate that when placing players on IR. That went away. There is literally no designate at all. 

Incorrect. They have to designate them at some point and it takes a slot.

You'll notice the designation

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2019_injuries.htm

https://nfltraderumors.co/colts-designate-wr-devin-funchess-to-return-from-injured-reserve/

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He isn’t even practicing with a red jersey.

Why rush back? To raise your stock as a WR by averaging 1.5 to 2.5 catches a game, less than 30 ypg, and block downfield on runs 65 Percent of your snaps?  Color me surprised our injured offensive  skill players aren't chomping at the bit to get back out there.... Ty isn't even pushing it.... Last year he played, hell or high water.... This year?  At wr? Why bother is what his, and their actions as a whole say...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Nope, very different. In short, maybe Ebron loses $15.6K per game for the rest of the year depending on the IR/pay rules. Funch loses nothing, just won't hit his incentive.

Ebron

$6.25M guaranteed (2018 salary + 2018 roster bonus)

2018 Roster Bonus: $5M

2019 Roster Bonus: $1M (3/17/2019)

Per Game Active Bonus: $15,625 ($250,000)

LTBE Incentives: $250,000

Funchess

$7,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000.

base salary of $3,000,000

roster bonus of $7,000,000,

1000 yard bonus of $3,000,000

I don't know what is...but I am glad to see the Colts being a true equal opportunity employer ; )

I’m going to disagree with most here and say signing Funchess wasn’t a bust. There is no conceivable way for literally anyone to predict injuries, unless they’re Nostradamus or something. The plate in his collarbone went bad, and so he’ll probably have to have surgery again. It’s just a horrible break for the Colts and for Funchess. It’s not like a draft pick that never plays well (cough Quincy Wilson cough)

If there is one positive to this, it’s that if Ballard wants to resign Funchess, it’ll be a heck of a lot cheaper than last time. Funchess will probably be asking for chump change next year when you consider his talent level. I’d personally like us to take a shot at him again.

Time to bring up Chad Williams from p.s and see if change of environment helps him realize some of the potential he had when he came out as a 3rd round draft pick in 2017. Has the size , speed,hands etc...played with bad qbs in Arizona. Dulin has done nothing since he was brought up.