Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Funchess Again

Mr.Debonair

21 minutes ago, C0lts088 said:

I don't understand how you can be a 'bust' if you physically can't get on the field. 

I for one would like to see Funchess come back next year. Guy is a baller and just had an unfortunately injury take place. 

I think you can still be a bust...though no one is at fault.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, C0lts088 said:

I don't understand how you can be a 'bust' if you physically can't get on the field. 

I for one would like to see Funchess come back next year. Guy is a baller and just had an unfortunately injury take place. 

Just curious, what makes him a baller? While I love some of things he brings to the table, he's very similar to Ebron in a lot of ways.

-Big athlete who flashed in college, and even played some TE (like Ebron)

-Has always had a drop problem (like Ebron), specifically body/core drops

-Was drafted early rounds and was expected to be the #1WR, but faded and outplayed by a rook a few years later

-Is trying to resurrect his career (like Ebron) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just curious, what makes him a baller? While I love some of things he brings to the table, he's very similar to Ebron in a lot of ways.

-Big athlete who flashed in college, and even played some TE (like Ebron)

-Has always had a drop problem (like Ebron), specifically body/core drops

-Was drafted early rounds and was expected to be the #1WR, but faded and outplayed by a rook a few years later

-Is trying to resurrect his career (like Ebron) 

So, if I’m reading this correctly, the Colts probably shouldn’t do another 1 year 10m deal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

So, if I’m reading this correctly, the Colts probably shouldn’t do another 1 year 10m deal. 

lol. No, not saying that at all. I do think we overpaid a bit though on him specifically. He certainly is not a well round WR. Pretty limited to possession type routes  much like a TE.

I was looking forward to him running bully slot routes though. I thought he'd also do well running seam routes, but JB absolutely stinks with those.

If we're trying to find a big athletic X for possession type WR needs, plenty of those in the mid rounds though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He IS on IR... they have until next week to take him off of IR or have him remain.

He is on IR, but with the designation to return. The rules are a little different. I think what Mr. D was saying is don't use the return designation on him, and bring in someone else. Personally I'm fine with using the designation even though you only get two of those (I think). I don't think we had anyone else we could have, or should have, used the designation on. We could have made a move in FA regardless.

30 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think you can still be a bust...though no one is at fault.

It's a no-fault bust from a financial and performance standpoint, that's for certain.

I think he had high potential to be a bust even had he played, at least from a $ to performance standpoint. Looks like none of WRs or TEs will sniff 1000 yards this season. His $3M performance bonus was set at 1000 yards. IMO, he'd be sitting at 300ish much like the TEs right now, and lucky to break 5 or 600.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

It's a no-fault bust from a financial and performance standpoint, that's for certain.

I think he had high potential to be a bust even had he played, at least from a $ to performance standpoint. Looks like none of WRs or TEs will sniff 1000 yards this season. His $3M performance bonus was set at 1000 yards. IMO, he'd be sitting at 300ish much like the TEs right now, and lucky to break 5 or 600.

Hmm.  You have me thinking now about Ebron’s contract.  If it was incentive based, it would explain a few things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He is on IR, but with the designation to return. The rules are a little different. I think what Mr. D was saying is don't use the return designation on him, and bring in someone else. Personally I'm fine with using the designation even though you only get two of those (I think). I don't think we had anyone else we could have, or should have, used the designation on. We could have made a move in FA regardless.

There is no such designation anymore. That went away 3 years ago. But yes, we could have made a move regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can’t be a bust when you haven’t played. 

You absolutely can be a bust because you haven't played.

This doesn't mean it's Funchess' fault, injuries are just bad luck. But the Colts most certainly did not get a return on investing in him, meaning he was a bust. Even if he played, it wasn't certain he was going to work out...which is why he signed a cheap deal in the first place.

4 hours ago, colt18 said:

Grigson level bust.

A guy on a one year contract who happened to get hurt isn’t a bust it’s just part of football.  It’s not like he gave him a long term expensive contract or traded a first round pick for him.  That would be a Grigson level bust.  These things happen in football.  Ballard couldn’t have known that ahead of time.  If he did then of course he wouldn’t have signed him.  It stinks but this does little to no damage to the long term future of the team like Grigson did several times over.  

• Thanks 1