Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cole Hedlund

18 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Guess that went over your head. I meant we are to ride with Vinny and let it drive us out the chance at the playoffs 

Playoffs, playoffs, don't talk to me about playoffs, we couldn't do diddly poo against the Dolphins, I just hope we win a game. :D

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It seems the team has no interest in changing kickers.

Makes me wonder if Ballard is okay with losing some games if he thinks we won't do anything in the playoffs this year. If we truly thought we could make any kind of run, Vinny should have been gone weeks ago. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Makes me wonder if Ballard is okay with losing some games if he thinks we won't do anything in the playoffs this year. If we truly thought we could make any kind of run, Vinny should have been gone weeks ago. 

Ballard's not alright with losing. He simply had faith in AV to turn things around. Unfortunately, AV has not been able to. In this case, Ballard has had 'blind faith' in AV, and it's backfired. Vinny's clearly been on a downward trajectory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

Why do you say that?

After reading this... I have no reason to think otherwise.

https://fox59.com/2019/11/10/colts-fall-flat-at-home-vs-dolphins-16-12/

Colts fall flat at home vs Dolphins 16-12

BY MIKE CHAPPELL

...Vinatieri didn’t dodge the media after another inconsistent outing, but neither did he have any answers.

“I was just hoping we were going to score a touchdown,’’ he said. “It would have been nice to have an opportunity at the end to make a difference, for sure.’’

Is his confidence wavering?

It’s fine,’’ he said. “It’s there. It’s not a matter of that. It’s just a matter of executing.’’

Vinatieri dismissed the notion he’s still dealing with an injury to his left knee that forced him to miss a portion of the preseason.

“We don’t talk about injuries one way or the other,’’ he said. “I’m healthy enough to be on the field.’’

Is retirement out of the question?

“It was never in the question before,’’ he said. “That was a nasty rumor. That’s a decision for other people.’’

So you just go back to work?

“What do you want me to do?’’ he said.

The Colts still are very much in the hunt for the AFC South title, but it seems as if they’re doing so in spite of Vinatieri...

...After Sunday’s unforgivable loss, which again, involved multiple culprits: “We’ve been committed to him, but like everybody I’d say this generally speaking about our roster (and) obviously just coming off the field: we’re going to always evaluate. Everybody gets measured. Everyone’s held accountable. From top to bottom, that’s always the case.

“Nothing meant to read into that. That’s just the reality of this business. There have been no discussions about that between Chris and I.’’

Reich was asked why he has remained confident in his kicker.

“It’s the track record and it’s what we see in practice and . . . I believe this guy to be mentally one of the toughest guys ever to play,’’ he said. “To do what he’s done in his career . . . that’s what’s going into that.’’

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Well I think my mindset has been pretty consistent with Ballard's (and even Pat McAfee if you've been listening to his breakdowns of Vinny's misses). And even if Ballard doesn't want to win, which is simply incorrect, there is no benefit to sticking with Vinny, as he is an aging asset that will get worse, not better. Makes no sense to stick to him if you're tanking and playing the long game. But anyways, I've been for sticking with Vinny because

1. I don't blame him for missing last week. He had yet to show that he would miss a solid kick with a clean operation since he had the yips in weeks 1 and 2 

2. There was no one better out there

3. I love his presence in the locker room.

But now, Vinny is clearly just missing. The operation was clean for the XP, and yet he just missed it. He cannot hit XPs anymore and we can't go on like this. Yes, his presence in the locker room is great, but perhaps we could get that if he went on IR or if he retired and became a kicking coach for a little bit. We cannot afford to let him keep playing.

And it seems like Reich is thinking the same thing, based on his change of tone regarding Vinny. If they follow the same thought process as me, something will be done this week

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

no reason to think otherwise.

Even if there's no indication either way, that indicates a neutral stance, (i.e. we don't know whether they're gonna change kickers), not a positive or negative stance.

But actually there is a little indication. When asked about it, Reich said some mum thing about how everyone is held accountable and we'll see where we go from here. A far cry from having "all the confidence in the world" in Vinny

3 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Even if there's no indication either way, that indicates a neutral stance, (i.e. we don't know whether they're gonna change kickers), not a positive or negative stance.

But actually there is a little indication. When asked about it, Reich said some mum thing about how everyone is held accountable and we'll see where we go from here. A far cry from having "all the confidence in the world" in Vinny

Sorry. I was editing my post above and adding content to my opinion.

If you read my addition above, I explain why I feel the management will not change things.

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

BY MIKE CHAPPELL

...Vinatieri didn’t dodge the media after another inconsistent outing, but neither did he have any answers.

“I was just hoping we were going to score a touchdown,’’ he said. “It would have been nice to have an opportunity at the end to make a difference, for sure.’’

“It’s fine,’’ he said. “It’s there. It’s not a matter of that. It’s just a matter of executing.’’

Vinatieri dismissed the notion he’s still dealing with an injury to his left knee that forced him to miss a portion of the preseason.

“We don’t talk about injuries one way or the other,’’ he said. “I’m healthy enough to be on the field.’’

“It was never in the question before,’’ he said. “That was a nasty rumor. That’s a decision for other people.’’

The Colts still are very much in the hunt for the AFC South title, but it seems as if they’re doing so in spite of Vinatieri...

...After Sunday’s unforgivable loss, which again, involved multiple culprits: “We’ve been committed to him, but like everybody I’d say this generally speaking about our roster (and) obviously just coming off the field: we’re going to always evaluate. Everybody gets measured. Everyone’s held accountable. From top to bottom, that’s always the case.

“Nothing meant to read into that. That’s just the reality of this business. There have been no discussions about that between Chris and I.’’

“It’s the track record and it’s what we see in practice and . . . I believe this guy to be mentally one of the toughest guys ever to play,’’ he said. “To do what he’s done in his career . . . that’s what’s going into that.’’

Well what do you want Reich to say? "Yes, we are going to cut Vinny because he is awful"? Him saying "there has been no discussion about that between Chris and I" is in regards to the previous topic about how everyone gets held accountable. So he's saying Ballard and him haven't discussed otherwise.

And of course Vinny is mentally one of the strongest to play the game. But him giving some obviously forced positive comments to not bash Vinny in front of the cameras is by no means a suggestion that nothing will be done. 

Just now, BigQungus said:

Well what do you want Reich to say? "Yes, we are going to cut Vinny because he is awful"? Him saying "there has been no discussion about that between Chris and I" is in regards to the previous topic about how everyone gets held accountable. So he's saying Ballard and him haven't discussed otherwise.

And of course Vinny is mentally one of the strongest to play the game. But him giving some obviously forced positive comments to not bash Vinny in front of the cameras is by no means a suggestion that nothing will be done. 

Look. I have watched the Colts continue to hang on to Vinny despite his obvious struggles.

All I said was I have no reason to believe they will change kickers.

You asked why? So I explained.

Look. I have watched the Colts continue to hang on to Vinny despite his obvious struggles.

All I said was I have no reason to believe they will change kickers.

You asked why? So I explained.

The reason to believe is that Vinny has clearly struggled, and Reich wasn't very enthusiastic in his defense of Vinny. Not saying that I certainly know something will or won't be done, I'm just saying I don't know that something won't be done.

6 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

The reason to believe is that Vinny has clearly struggled, and Reich wasn't very enthusiastic in his defense of Vinny. Not saying that I certainly know something will or won't be done, I'm just saying I don't know that something won't be done.

Of course, none of us know what will be done at this point. Especially since the team is quite careful to keep matters "in house"

But personally, due to past practice, I feel the odds are much in favor for Ballard to not cut Vinny.

And Adam himself clearly stated yesterday, that retirement is out of the question...

...is retirement out of the question?

• Like 1

Of course, none of us know what will be done at this point. Especially since the team is quite careful to keep matters "in house"

But personally, due to past practice, I feel the odds are much in favor for Ballard to not cut Vinny.

And Adam himself clearly stated yesterday, that retirement is out of the question...

...is retirement out of the question?

If he had given any indication that retirement is in the question, the whole world would've gone crazy. Yes, it's the strongest piece of evidence on the side that he's not going anywhere, but it's not quite enough to convince me

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

BY MIKE CHAPPELL

It’s fine,’’ he said. “It’s there. It’s not a matter of that. It’s just a matter of executing.’’

After reading this it sounds like Adam has no intention of retiring.  He is pretty much daring Ballard to do it.  Reich is pretty much buying time with his comments.  He has pulled back from his total endorsement.  He stated there have been no discussions about Adam between Chris and him.  I interpret that as the game just ended and we haven't had a chance to sit down to review the game and everyones performance.  Ballard has a huge problem on his hands.  And of his own doing.  Kickers miss field goals but extra points can change strategy and play calling.  I have a pretty good idea what BB would do here.  Ballard, on the other hand, is in new territory.   Adam is going to force him to make a decision.  All eyes will be on our nice guy GM.  

9 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Well I think my mindset has been pretty consistent with Ballard's (and even Pat McAfee if you've been listening to his breakdowns of Vinny's misses). And even if Ballard doesn't want to win, which is simply incorrect, there is no benefit to sticking with Vinny, as he is an aging asset that will get worse, not better. Makes no sense to stick to him if you're tanking and playing the long game. But anyways, I've been for sticking with Vinny because

1. I don't blame him for missing last week. He had yet to show that he would miss a solid kick with a clean operation since he had the yips in weeks 1 and 2 

2. There was no one better out there

3. I love his presence in the locker room.

But now, Vinny is clearly just missing. The operation was clean for the XP, and yet he just missed it. He cannot hit XPs anymore and we can't go on like this. Yes, his presence in the locker room is great, but perhaps we could get that if he went on IR or if he retired and became a kicking coach for a little bit. We cannot afford to let him keep playing.

And it seems like Reich is thinking the same thing, based on his change of tone regarding Vinny. If they follow the same thought process as me, something will be done this week

Seems San Fran found someone of the street better this week? 

I think we may take a look at this McLaughlin kid kicking for the 49ers.  Gould is expected back next week. So they'll probably release him.  He's filled in for Badgely for a few weeks & now Gould for a week.  May be time for him to fill in for Vinny for the rest of the season?

24 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah. He's made those. But that game winner attempt was a Vanderjagt & Vinny vs the Steelers kick...

Young kicker, first chance to kick a game winner in overtime.  Yep he choked, but at this point, I would sign him tomorrow.

The post game interview with Vinny yesterday, kind of changed my whole view of him, not quite the guy I thought he was. 

When Andrew was booed off the field, it was a low point for me as a Colts fan, an embarrassment actually.  If Vinny tries to stick it out, and the same thing happens to him, I will probably be one of them, which just the thought of that happening makes me throw up in my mouth. 

• Like 3

Ultimately, you have to play to win. You scout, you practice, you elevate the best players to the starting lineup, you coach, and you do your best to win.

Hanging with an ineffective kicking game, proven over 9 games this year, and through last year as well, is so contradictory to playing to win. Especially without a high quality qb like Luck, you have to have all the other elements of your game performing at their highest levels.

I understand the "loyalty, he deserves it"  for Vinatieri but didn't Manning deserve that loyalty even more, and the Colts moved on from him with winning and their future in mind. The message the Colts front office is sending now is both confusing and contradictory to "you play to win".

• Like 4

20 hours ago, ojsglove said:

When Andrew was booed off the field, it was a low point for me as a Colts fan, an embarrassment actually.  If Vinny tries to stick it out, and the same thing happens to him, I will probably be one of them, which just the thought of that happening makes me throw up in my mouth. 

I’m sorry but this is crap. 

Putting the Colts in a serious bind by announcing retirement a week before the season was extremely unprofessional. And if he had given it a lot of thought then he should have told them in April. I blame Luck for last Sunday’s loss. He is why Hoyer is our backup. 

13 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

I’m sorry but this is crap. 

Putting the Colts in a serious bind by announcing retirement a week before the season was extremely unprofessional. And if he had given it a lot of thought then he should have told them in April. I blame Luck for last Sunday’s loss. He is why Hoyer is our backup. 

So I guess every game we lose from now until Andrew's contract expires is on him.  Hmm.  Simple logic.

Makes 0 sense, but you're allowed to keep thinking that way.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 10:15 PM, MB-ColtsFan said:

So I guess every game we lose from now until Andrew's contract expires is on him.  Hmm.  Simple logic.

Makes 0 sense, but you're allowed to keep thinking that way.

I dunno do you quit your job and leave on the same day before your employer can find your replacement.