Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett getting some MVP/ProBowl love?

Imgrandojji

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Lol at the idea that Brissett needs to work on his turnovers. Unless of course, if one is saying all QB's need to work on that. I said this 3 weeks ago, and I'll say it again...

For some, there is no convincing. Some will look for reasons to not believe in JB.

I know, he has 5 turnovers all year = 3 INT's and 2 fumbles and some people are going to complain about that?? That isn't even 1 turnover a game. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, egg said:

Only eight QBs have fewer turnovers than Brissett

But you just wait till a team shuts down the Colts running game and he has to throw the ball to move the chains!

Well.......er........um, nevermind. I uh,....guess he did that......:D

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it was on Kevin Bowen’s podcast this morning he mentioned how much JB has been working with the QB coach on keeping his eyes downfield. If he keeps up this improvement he can be very good to elite. With his arm and good weapons I think the sky is the limit. He will have bad games. Even luck had bad games. We just need consistency from here on out. He is clearly a good starter in this league.

This is good, hopeful info. Thanks for sharing.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No he didn't, and no he doesn't. You're probably looking at passer rating. This weeks game brought him a bit above 50.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

my first reply was while I was on a tablet and I hate typing on a tablet but I did want to expand a bit of my response.

yes, I was thinking the traditional Qb rating or passer rating.  And from the little I read of the QB and the methodology it does seem to be a more accurate rating than the passer rating.  There was a QB a while ago, Rob Johnson, where team mates actually accused him of taking sacks rather than throwing the ball away or possibly getting a turnover to keep his passer rating up.  So I have always thought that any QB rating that does not factor in sacks or, for example,  throwing a 3 yard pass on 3rd and long was not an accurate gauge.

And the numbers from the QBR seem to match what I have been seeing.  While Jacoby has impressed me more than I thought he would, I have mentioned a few times that his yards per attempt and yards per completion have been very low.

So thanks again for providing the link.

7 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

But you're fine with it after losses?

nope avoid it then too you either have everyone acting like the world is ending if we lose or you have people acting like JB is Tom Brady after a win both are annoying extremes that I can't stand. so it's easier to avoid it a couple days than have to face palm every 5 posts. 

43 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

my first reply was while I was on a tablet and I hate typing on a tablet but I did want to expand a bit of my response.

yes, I was thinking the traditional Qb rating or passer rating.  And from the little I read of the QB and the methodology it does seem to be a more accurate rating than the passer rating.  There was a QB a while ago, Rob Johnson, where team mates actually accused him of taking sacks rather than throwing the ball away or possibly getting a turnover to keep his passer rating up.  So I have always thought that any QB rating that does not factor in sacks or, for example,  throwing a 3 yard pass on 3rd and long was not an accurate gauge.

And the numbers from the QBR seem to match what I have been seeing.  While Jacoby has impressed me more than I thought he would, I have mentioned a few times that his yards per attempt and yards per completion have been very low.

Last season i watched our "generational QB" start the season dinking and dunking us to a 1-5 record. I am remembering all those dunks to Hines and Rogers.
 I can't wait to see what our YPA/YPC is over the last 8 games. A Funchess, Campbell, return, and a possible Cain Awakening just might help our Stats now that our O is starting to settle in.
 Frank keeps saying we are just getting started. I don't understand why it is so hard for experienced fans to not get and expect this to be so considering our many young players.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Last season i watched our "generational QB" start the season dinking and dunking us to a 1-5 record. I am remembering all those dunks to Hines and Rogers.
 I can't wait to see what our YPA/YPC is over the last 8 games. A Funchess, Campbell, return, and a possible Cain Awakening just might help our Stats now that our O is starting to settle in.
 Frank keeps saying we are just getting started. I don't understand why it is so hard for experienced fans to not get and expect this to be so considering our many young players.

It was a concern last year as well.  It may improve, Reich and Co. like to change things up about every 3-4 weeks.  But just because something happened before and turnaround does not mean it will do so again.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

nope avoid it then too you either have everyone acting like the world is ending if we lose or you have people acting like JB is Tom Brady after a win both are annoying extremes that I can't stand. so it's easier to avoid it a couple days than have to face palm every 5 posts. 

So basically you're never on this forum

Also from the games I've watched Tom Brady hasn't been very good this year, and that's against the terrible teams

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

So basically you're never on this forum

Also from the games I've watched Tom Brady hasn't been very good this year, and that's against the terrible teams

I was til this season I dont feel like going through 30 pages of JB is gonna be the MVP or the popular let's trade Luck when he comes back topic. both are ignorant as hell. how would you even know when I'm in here you've been a member for what 5 months??

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Passer rating was much more reliable when the league was full of pocket passers. These days, not so much, and gets less reliable every year as we increase the number of dual threat QBs. I always look at the expanded QBR data (as well as NexGen, PFF, and FO) when trying to really compare QBs. There's really no perfect measurement out there IMO.

It's going to be very interesting to see how JB performs going forward. There's no doubt he was exceptional vs Houston, and it was a huge coming out day for him. Next week he'll play vs a very good passing defense unlike Houston (Houston is bottom 5 while Denver is top 5). Will Reich go back to a run heavy attack while not allowing JB to do much, or will he strive for balance. I love that Reich attacked Houston's weakness and had the confidence in JB to call that game plan, I'd just love to see that same confidence vs a tougher secondary.

And yes, his yards per completion have been low, but they were a bit better last week. Not sure if that is because Houston's passing D stinks in general, Houston was basically playing with 2nd, 3rd, and PS DBs, JB is getting better, or Reich's game plan simply included more deep 1st reads. Probably a mix. 

I was til this season I dont feel like going through 30 pages of JB is gonna be the MVP or the popular let's trade Luck when he comes back topic. both are ignorant as hell. how would you even know when I'm in here you've been a member for what 5 months??

I made that conclusion based on the logic of your previous statements. I did not say that you are or aren't on here a lot.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Passer rating was much more reliable when the league was full of pocket passers. These days, not so much, and gets less reliable every year as we increase the number of dual threat QBs. I always look at the expanded QBR data (as well as NexGen, PFF, and FO) when trying to really compare QBs. There's really no perfect measurement out there IMO.

It's going to be very interesting to see how JB performs going forward. There's no doubt he was exceptional vs Houston, and it was a huge coming out day for him. Next week he'll play vs a very good passing defense unlike Houston (Houston is bottom 5 while Denver is top 5). Will Reich go back to a run heavy attack while not allowing JB to do much, or will he strive for balance. I love that Reich attacked Houston's weakness and had the confidence in JB to call that game plan, I'd just love to see that same confidence vs a tougher secondary.

And yes, his yards per completion have been low, but they were a bit better last week. Not sure if that is because Houston's passing D stinks in general, Houston was basically playing with 2nd, 3rd, and PS DBs, JB is getting better, or Reich's game plan simply included more deep 1st reads. Probably a mix. 

It's funny, Luck's two highest passing games last year were against Houston.  It seems like Reich and Sirianni have Crennel's D figured out pretty well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's funny, Luck's two highest passing games last year were against Houston.  It seems like Reich and Sirianni have Crennel's D figured out pretty well.

Yeah, Reich seems to have coached circles around BOB and Crennel so far. We were scheming guys open like crazy on rub/crossing routes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Houston's pass defense stinks. They are bottom 5 this year, and were bottom 5 last year. Then add in all the DB injuries they had last week. I give credit to Reich for putting the game in JB's hands, but frankly every team going against Houston is trying to attack them with passing.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Even though Houston’s pass defense sucks you could still see the improvements in JB game. It wasn’t all houston.

I agree. I thought JB's touch on a few throws looked much better than in previous weeks. He still strong armed a few but you can tell he's trying to focus a bit on that aspect. His TTT was still pretty bad, and frankly I expected that come down vs Houston. The OL held up pretty good so it didn't impact the game. His air yards improved a tiny bit, but I would have liked to see him take more deep shots given the injury situation with Houston's DB.

This week's game will be a good test and tell us a lot about JB IMO. Denver isn't particularly good at sacking or INTing QBs, but they are good at limiting yardage. I expect our OL to hold, but it won't be like shooting fish in a barrel like Houston was. While Denver isn't as big of game as Houston in terms of overall talent, it's a bigger game for JB to show what he can do. I do expect us to run it a bunch, but I still want to see JB be more than game manager. 

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree. I thought JB's touch on a few throws looked much better than in previous weeks. He still strong armed a few but you can tell he's trying to focus a bit on that aspect. His TTT was still pretty bad, and frankly I expected that come down vs Houston. The OL held up pretty good so it didn't impact the game. His air yards improved a tiny bit, but I would have liked to see him take more deep shots given the injury situation with Houston's DB.

This week's game will be a good test and tell us a lot about JB IMO. Denver isn't particularly good at sacking or INTing QBs, but they are good at limiting yardage. I expect our OL to hold, but it won't be like shooting fish in a barrel like Houston was. While Denver isn't as big of game as Houston in terms of overall talent, it's a bigger game for JB to show what he can do. I do expect us to run it a bunch, but I still want to see JB be more than game manager. 

Denver has a very good pass defense. I do not expect a repeat unless chris Harris is traded by the end of the week. There  are very good defenses out there that even elite QB struggle with. I mean Brady did nothing against the bills defense. So just because every game doesn’t end up like Sunday that doesn’t mean he isn’t improving or regressed.  We are going to be different in how we attack each game.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Denver has a very good pass defense. I do not expect a repeat unless chris Harris is traded by the end of the week. There  are very good defenses out there that even elite QB struggle with. I mean Brady did nothing against the bills defense. So just because every game doesn’t end up like Sunday that doesn’t mean he isn’t improving or regressed.  We are going to be different in how we attack each game.

I'm not saying JB needs to throw for 300 vs Denver. What I am saying is he needs to play well against them (no more sub 50 QBR games) and keep up the momentum while improving key areas.