Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett getting some MVP/ProBowl love?

Imgrandojji

8 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

He did scan the field for secondary receivers better today. I will grant him that.

This. So much this. 

Forget about the numbers and the wins and all the other noise. This was a very nice thing to see him making a concerted effort to do today. It’s been one of the things he’s traditionally struggled with, but today he was putting in the work. 

My guess is Jacoby would be #5 in Pro Bowl voting right now.

Brady, Jackson, Mahomes (doesn't matter that hes hurt), Watson, Brissett

I think Josh Allen will beat him out if they keep winning AND they knock the Pats off (almost did the first time).

MVP = 0 chance. Not while Bradys team is undefeated. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

JB had an awesome game. Best game ever in his career.

But it's only one game, and he had a sub 50 QBR prior to today. 

It's great to be happy (I'm hyped as heck), but MVP talk is silly at this point.

No he didn't.  He had a 95 QBR for the season prior to the Houston game.  Now's it's just over 100

8 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

He did scan the field for secondary receivers better today. I will grant him that.

This was a HUGE difference this week. Guessing it is something that was emphasized during the bye week?

I doubt neither.

Part of these awards is about receiving media hype.  They talk about a QB out of habit,talking about the same QBs mid season and late season because they talked about them early in the season or preseason.  Watson falls into this category.

JB hasn't been on the media's radar so far.  He's an unknown to them. He got a little bit of attention this week, but only in the capacity of the Colts not missing Luck a lot so far. 

He's still second fiddle to Luck in the media's eyes, and not that dynamic of a player anyway.

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is a pretty big deal for Harrison to say that. Lamar just beat the Seahawks today and is playing well also. With Mahomes being hurt JB is in that conversation behind Brady though.

His numbers are better than brady this year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I doubt neither.

Part of these awards is about receiving media hype.  They talk about a QB out of habit,talking about the same QBs mid season and late season because they talked about them early in the season or preseason.  Watson falls into this category.

JB hasn't been on the media's radar so far.  He's an unknown to them. He got a little bit of attention this week, but only in the capacity of the Colts not missing Luck a lot so far. 

He's still second fiddle to Luck in the media's eyes, and not that dynamic of a player anyway.

He was pretty dynamic yesterday

before yesterday Mahomes and Wilson were tied in Mvp Odds from the bookies

Watson and Rogers were Third and forth. Jacoby wasnt in the top 10 yet, i dont think he will be now after that game either.  

this will be an interesting race though the front runners are falling.  rogers might be the one to move up and take it

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well guess what Nate just said 

In regards to their MVP convo...only thing I'll say is yesterday's kind of performance (300+ yards and 2-4 TD's) would basically have to become the norm for him to legitimately be in the MVP race. And by in the race I mean getting votes. I think most of the votes will be split between guys like Wilson, McCaffrey, Rodgers, and Lamar Jackson.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

I knocked hom for progressions, And Ill give him props for improving on that. Still has to clean up the turnovers. Not to take away from him playing well but I think a lot had to do with poor play by texans secondary. Have to credit Brissett for being a man in the pocket and taking some hits too.

4 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

My guess is Jacoby would be #5 in Pro Bowl voting right now.

Brady, Jackson, Mahomes (doesn't matter that hes hurt), Watson, Brissett

I think Josh Allen will beat him out if they keep winning AND they knock the Pats off (almost did the first time).

MVP = 0 chance. Not while Bradys team is undefeated. 

I don’t think Jacoby would get many, if any, votes for MVP even if the Pats were winless. And I’m entirely supportive of him.  He’s played very well...very efficiently.  His TD-INT ratio is superb.

But, these days, you need to be putting up at least 4K yards to be in that echelon.  11 of the last 12 MVPs have been QBs and each one of them have posted big yardage numbers.  He’s presently on pace for 3700 yards.

I’m ecstatic with how he’s stepped up.  And he deserves every bit of the attention and plaudits he’s gotten doing it.  But let’s not get carried away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

In regards to their MVP convo...only thing I'll say is yesterday's kind of performance (300+ yards and 2-4 TD's) would basically have to become the norm for him to legitimately be in the MVP race. And by in the race I mean getting votes. I think most of the votes will be split between guys like Wilson, McCaffrey, Rodgers, and Lamar Jackson.

If he can keep that type of performances, he will enter the MVP conversation and very well might get some votes and deservedly so. The problem is this game is BY FAR his best this season and in his career and none of the other 5 games were really close to this one or close to MVP worthy games. 

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

yeah no 1 game against a crippled Texans D isnt gonna make me believe he is the next franchise QB. I don't care what he did yesterday it doesn't make the other average as hell games go away. now if he can build on this game and continue to play well sure but no way am I gonna flip out and praise him or any player in the NFL after 1 game. he can very easily come out next week and play terrible.

Well I never said he is on Andrew Luck's level, anyone would be a fool to think that but JB so far has played above average football at worse and we are 4-2. For me it is hard to nitpick him at this point. 14 TD's to only 3 INT's is real impressive. We should be 5-1 actually had Vinny been on his game in the opener. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well I never said he is on Andrew Luck's level, anyone would be a fool to think that but JB so far has played above average football at worse and we are 4-2. For me it is hard to nitpick him at this point. 14 TD's to only 3 INT's is real impressive. We should be 5-1 actually had Vinny been on his game in the opener. 

IF, we were 5-1, and we got to 8-1 with him playing well the next 3 games, of course he would be getting lots of attention, and surely some meaningful MVP talk.
 It is all about the Wins baby. Way to early to think about this. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

If he can keep that type of performances, he will enter the MVP conversation and very well might get some votes and deservedly so. The problem is this game is BY FAR his best this season and in his career and none of the other 5 games were really close to this one or close to MVP worthy games. 

You mean other than v ATL

8 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We just got contain and pressure on Mahomes and Watson.  Don't see what they can't do that Lamar can

Who knows...but containing those two vs. Lamar... is sorta like containing Ebron vs containing Saquon Barkley. Having followed him since his U of L days...Lamar is just a different type of athlete...moves like a gazelle and is incredibly difficult to catch.

• Like 1

I think it was on Kevin Bowen’s podcast this morning he mentioned how much JB has been working with the QB coach on keeping his eyes downfield. If he keeps up this improvement he can be very good to elite. With his arm and good weapons I think the sky is the limit. He will have bad games. Even luck had bad games. We just need consistency from here on out. He is clearly a good starter in this league.

16 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Yes he is check the stats 

Fumbles and interceptions 

So I went and pulled it up.  There are 20 starting NFL QBs this season that have more INTs than Jacoby (He's tied with Tom Brady for what it's worth).  Yet, he is tied for number 1 for TDs thrown at 14 (Tom Brady has just 10)...

There's 25 more starting QBs with more fumbles than Jacoby.

per teamranking dot com.

Not saying Jacoby is better than Brady...yet. But outside of yards per game and yards per attempt, he's right there with the league leaders in nearly every other meaningful category.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Who knows...but containing those two vs. Lamar... is sorta like containing Ebron vs containing Saquon Barkley.

Sorry, not seeing it.  Lamar is a good scrambler, but he's not otherworldly good.  He an be and has been stopped and pushed off his game before.  And we clearly have the personnel to do it again.

I'll give him the respect you give any opponent until you beat them.  But Lamar Jackson doesn't scare me at this point.  We've beaten this kind of player already and know we can do it again.

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Sorry, not seeing it.  Lamar is a good scrambler, but he's not otherworldly good.  He an be and has been stopped and pushed off his game before.  And we clearly have the personnel to do it again.

I'll give him the respect you give any opponent until you beat them.  But Lamar Jackson doesn't scare me at this point.  We've beaten this kind of player already and know we can do it again.

Yep. Not all teams have the players to stop him. Colts are one of the teams that have a guy like Leonard with speed that could do it and force him to pass. I do give the ravens credit for letting him play his game and not try and change him. But teams that have a speedy LB that can spy him could force him to throw from the pocket more.

2 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Still has to clean up the turnovers. 

Every QB has to do that.  Brissett actually has a better turnover rate than Tom Brady so far on the year, and Tom Brady is the past master of not giving the ball away.

Of Brissett's dwindling number of issues, turnovers really isn't one.  In fact it's an area where he's really been most  consistently good.  Yes errors have still happened, but that's normal, and Manning and Luck both turned the ball over more per game than brissett has so far.

if I recall right, Brissett actually has less than half the turnovers Luck had at the same point last year. 

Sure, there's always room to improve, and everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but gotta take the time to recognlze legit, consistently good play when you see it.

Lol at the idea that Brissett needs to work on his turnovers. Unless of course, if one is saying all QB's need to work on that. I said this 3 weeks ago, and I'll say it again...

For some, there is no convincing. Some will look for reasons to not believe in JB.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Every QB has to do that.  Brissett actually has a better turnover rate than Tom Brady so far on the year, and Tom Brady is the past master of not giving the ball away.

Of Brissett's dwindling number of issues, turnovers really isn't one.  In fact it's an area where he's really been most  consistently good.  Yes errors have still happened, but that's normal, and Manning and Luck both turned the ball over more per game than brissett has so far.

if I recall right, Brissett actually has less than half the turnovers Luck had at the same point last year. 

Sure, there's always room to improve, and everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but gotta take the time to recognlze legit, consistently good play when you see it.

Are you counting fumbles?

42 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Your right I thaought he had more than the one fumble but Im wrong. He is pretty selective and doesnt make too many errors.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

So I went and pulled it up.  There are 20 starting NFL QBs this season that have more INTs than Jacoby (He's tied with Tom Brady for what it's worth).  Yet, he is tied for number 1 for TDs thrown at 14 (Tom Brady has just 10)...

per teamranking dot com.

Not saying Jacoby is better than Brady...yet. But outside of yards per game and yards per attempt, he's right there with the league leaders in nearly every other meaningful category.

I agree he's having a fine season but he is good for one turnover game so far. I'm just saying he has to clean that up a little bit especially the fumbles that are right in his hands

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

per teamranking dot com.

Three interceptions and three fumbles this season

Screenshot_20191021-172321~2.png

38 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I agree he's having a fine season but he is good for one turnover game so far. I'm just saying he has to clean that up a little bit especially the fumbles that are right in his hands

I agree there’s room for improvement for sure

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Both his yards and TDs were career highs.  And we’re still a run-heavy offense.  The Texans keyed on run defense (which is their forte) to make JB beat them through the air, which he did.

It’s probably not going to become the norm. But it’s damn good to know that he can have that kind of passing performance in those cases where it’s necessary.

But let’s also not forget that Houston’s secondary was depleted...which probably goes a long way towards explaining why our receivers were so open yesterday.

• Like 1