Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Riding the Brissett Train

Scott Pennock

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Probably not.  Although I'm sure we'll have "start Kelly" threads every week after a loss whether it's in any way justified or not..

They'll always be justified. This is a QB league. We aren't doing squat in the playoffs with Brissett. 

There's been Chad Kellys every year for as far back as I can remember.  They just have different names.  Nathan Peterman,  Brock Osweiler. Dan Orlovsky.  Curtis Painter.  These guys' jobs are to shine in the preseason so they can get starry eyed scouts to argue for them to make a roster.  Making a roster is usually the highlight of their careers.

Kelly is not special compared to most of these guys.  He looked flashy against grocery baggers, insurance salesman and a handful of practice squad fodder.  If you think for 1 second that that actually qualifies him to be successful against NFL level competition then I don't even know how to respond to that.

To a desperate team like the Colts who got knocked back by Luck's retirement, he'll do as an emergency QB2.  Honestly he's a bit over his head as the primary backup.  I personally would be much happier with Kelly as QB3 or on the practice squad and a veteran QB2.  But to actually suggest that he could be effective starting on week one?  Wow.  That's just asking way too much of a young project QB like Kelly.

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

We aren't even sniffing the playoffs with a wet behind the ears headcase like Kelly

I'm glad you're satisfied with a lumbering QB who can't avoid pressure, has no pocket awareness, and questionable accuracy, but I'm not. 

I don't see why being in the right place at the right time is the determining factor in this debate. Brissett was a backup who had a season fall into his lap due to injury and now is having another one fall into his lap due to an out of the blue retirement. That doesn't mean he's a great or good QB. 

Playing an NFL season and being below average in doing so doesn't make him better than Kelly. Who is more athletic? Kelly. Who has a stronger arm? Kelly. Who has more pocket awareness and escapability? Kelly. Who has more speed? Kelly. Who has more NFL experience? Brissett. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

There's been Chad Kellys every year for as far back as I can remember.  They just have different names.  Nathan Peterman,  Brock Osweiler. Dan Orlovsky.  Curtis Painter.  These guys' jobs are to shine in the preseason so they can get starry eyed scouts to argue for them to make a roster.  Making a roster is usually the highlight of their careers.

Kelly is not special compared to most of these guys.  He looked flashy against grocery baggers, insurance salesman and a handful of practice squad fodder.  If you think for 1 second that that actually qualifies him to be successful against NFL level competition then I don't even know how to respond to that.

To a desperate team like the Colts who got knocked back by Luck's retirement, he'll do as an emergency QB2.  Honestly he's a bit over his head as the primary backup.  I personally would be much happier with Kelly as QB3 or on the practice squad and a veteran QB2.  But to actually suggest that he could be effective starting on week one?  Wow.  That's just asking way too much of a young project QB like Kelly.

I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest you have to admit that both Brissett and Kelly are question marks right now.  I think Brissett should start until we are out of playoff contention or he is obviously playing poorly for an extended period of time.  I hope not to see Kelly play this season.  Not because I don't like him as a QB.   

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest you have to admit that both Brissett and Kelly are question marks right now.  I think Brissett should start until we are out of playoff contention or he is obviously playing poorly for an extended period of time.  I hope not to see Kelly play this season.  Not because I don't like him as a QB.   

There's a question of degrees.

Brissett is a question mark to be a franchise cornerstone.  Kelly is a questionmark to be able to be an actual NFL quarterback in the first place

Things we know about Brissett that we have no idea about Kelly

1: Brissett can play for 16 games, including both the physical strength to deal with the physical toll of playing QB and the mental and emotional stress.

2: Brissett is a decent leader and character guy

3: Brissett has a very strong arm and can make deep throws effectively if given time.

4: Brissett is able to keep his head in the game

5: Far from being any possible off the field nightmare, Brissett is well known as a "glue" player and community leader

None of this is going to be helpful if Brissett doesn't win football games, but pretending Chad Kelly is some kind of viable alternative for any of this when he has literally no proven NFL acumen is just a little absurd

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

There's a question of degrees.

Brissett is a question mark to be a franchise cornerstone.  Kelly is a questionmark to be able to be an actual NFL quarterback in the first place

Things we know about Brissett that we have no idea about Kelly

1: Brissett can play for 16 games, including both the physical strength to deal with the physical toll of playing QB and the mental and emotional stress.

2: Brissett is a decent leader and character guy

3: Brissett has a very strong arm and can make deep throws effectively if given time.

4: Brissett is able to keep his head in the game

5: Far from being any possible off the field nightmare, Brissett is well known as a "glue" player and community leader

None of this is going to be helpful if Brissett doesn't win football games, but pretending Chad Kelly is some kind of viable alternative for any of this when he has literally no proven NFL acumen is just a little absurd

Good points, but still too much is unknown on the field.  Brissett had 13 td's in 16 games.   But the team was crap so we can throw that out.   That leaves us with almost nothing to go on with both players.   Like I said, I think Brissett should be the starter until he proves he cannot be good enough.  

40 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Yes, you're right. We have no idea about Kelly's ability to make deep throws effectively. What the hell are you talking about? He has an absolute rocket.

giphy.webp

Does anyone really think Brissett has the athleticism and fast twitch to make this TD?

Fh8M2YY.gif

Look at this. Dude effortlessly seemed to throw it like 60 yards.

final_5d66c01bd844510013e662d4_357305.gi

I don't even really want Kelly for a backup.  With a young starter, I want a veteran who can lead the scout team and help the starter navigate the season.  Kelly is the wrong answer for this franchise at QB2 right now.

If we could get hold of Matt Schaub or Brian Hoyer, that would be the ideal for me.  I'd happily sacrifice the lottery ticket that is Chad Kelly for a real veteran presence in that role. 

If you can stash Kelly on the practice squad, and you probably can, that's where I'd put him, let him work through his issues in a low pressure environment and let him develop behind the scenes where crazy fans won't try to tear the franchise apart to find him the moment Brissett has a hiccup out there

• Like 1

My ideal QB2 would be a trade for Brian Hoyer from the Patriots.  I think he might be available because Stidham, their current QB3, has impressed and the Patriots FO may be looking to develop Stidham as an active roster project behind their aging superstar.  If they decide to groom Stidham, Hoyer is surplus to requirement. 

And given his extensive experience in a hugely successful rival system I in Ballard's shoes would pay a premium just to pick his brain.  I would take that option over Kelly anyday

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

did Kelly kick you butt in HS or college? you're the only fool here acting like he has no talent. 

18 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

did Kelly kick you butt in HS or college? you're the only fool here acting like he has no talent. 

he has talent.  But it's raw talent that's going to take time for him to put together at NFL speeds.  People thinking that he's ready to go mint in the box is pretty ludicrous.  If that was the case I very much doubt the Broncos would have moved on from him.

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It looks to me like you are arguing cause you have some weird personal vendetta against Kelly.

No vendetta against Kelly, frankly he's not worth that much of my attention, but I just don't comprehend the irrational exuberance towards Kelly in this forum when we all should have been here before with so many other players.

People should know better than to put so much blind faith in a guy who's proven nothing.  I can only assume this is coming from people who don't trust Brissett and are hoping for an alternative -- any alternative.  Because a frank assessment of Kelly's own level of play simply doesn't inspire this kind of confidence.

4 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Yes, you're right. We have no idea about Kelly's ability to make deep throws effectively. What the hell are you talking about? He has an absolute rocket.

giphy.webp

Does anyone really think Brissett has the athleticism and fast twitch to make this TD?

Fh8M2YY.gif

Are you Chad Kelly's dad?  The only thing you post about is Chad Kelly.   If he was the great prospect you seem to think he is,   why did the Broncos cut him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

he has talent.  But it's raw talent that's going to take time for him to put together at NFL speeds.  People thinking that he's ready to go mint in the box is pretty ludicrous.  If that was the case I very much doubt the Broncos would have moved on from him.

The Broncos pretty much had to move on from him. It'd be a pretty bad look to have your backup QB (who most fans wanted to start over Keenum) sitting around while facing felony charges. Of course it turned out to be much ado about nothing, but they didn't know that at the time.

For those who haven't looked into it, Kelly thought he was entering his friend's house, which was actually a few doors down. It was after a party thrown by Von Miller. It was 2am, the lights were on and the door was unlocked and he just walked in and sat down expecting his friend to be there. Obviously it was the wrong house, but he had no criminal intent which was why it was reduced to a misdemeanor. His toxicology even came back negative. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Are you Chad Kelly's dad?  The only thing you post about is Chad Kelly.   If he was the great prospect you seem to think he is,   why did the Broncos cut him?

Would we have kept Brissett last year if he was facing felony charges? Freak no. 

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Because a frank assessment of Kelly's own level of play simply doesn't inspire this kind of confidence.

LOL. His level of play? What about his level of play that we've seen doesn't inspire confidence? He has the 6th highest QBR of any QB in the league this preseason. He was 16-21 with a 103 rating last Saturday. What would inspire confidence? 21-21? Aside from going against 1's, which maybe we'll see this Saturday, please explain what you've seen from him that troubles you during your frank assessment. 

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

My ideal QB2 would be a trade for Brian Hoyer from the Patriots.  I think he might be available because Stidham, their current QB3, has impressed and the Patriots FO may be looking to develop Stidham as an active roster project behind their aging superstar.  If they decide to groom Stidham, Hoyer is surplus to requirement. 

And given his extensive experience in a hugely successful rival system I in Ballard's shoes would pay a premium just to pick his brain.  I would take that option over Kelly anyday

Hoyer is terrible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

They'll always be justified. This is a QB league. We aren't doing squat in the playoffs with Brissett. 

Are you saying Kelly is better than Brissett, and will give the Colts a better chance in the playoffs?

35 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Would we have kept Brissett last year if he was facing felony charges? Freak no. 

If they thought he was as great as you think they would have kept him.  Great players get treated differently.   We all know that.  

35 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

LOL. His level of play? What about his level of play that we've seen doesn't inspire confidence? He has the 6th highest QBR of any QB in the league this preseason. He was 16-21 with a 103 rating last Saturday. What would inspire confidence? 21-21? Aside from going against 1's, which maybe we'll see this Saturday, please explain what you've seen from him that troubles you during your frank assessment. 

Preseason against guys who will be selling insurance 2 months from now

12 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Are you saying Kelly is better than Brissett, and will give the Colts a better chance in the playoffs?

I'm saying that using common sense and your eyeballs tells us that you need QB's who are playmakers to do well these days in the playoffs. I can only think of a few game manager type QB's whose teams were semi-successful in the playoffs in the past 5 years, Bortles and Keenum. Otherwise, in the past 5 years you've got Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Cam, Peyton, Wilson, Goff, Luck, Mahomes. JB doesn't fit with those dudes. Even his biggest fans would have to admit that. 

JB is a good dude and seems to be a great team leader, but the fact that most everyone's default position around here is either "well who can we draft next year" or "maybe we should give Swag a chance" kinda tells you all we need to know about JB. He's never shown any ability to be a consistent big time playmaker in the regular season or even the preseason. Hell, or even in college. He only threw for over 300 yards once in his ENTIRE college career. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If they thought he was as great as you think they would have kept him.  Great players get treated differently.   We all know that.  

Well I guess that answers the question about whether the Colts would have kept JB if the same thing happened to him. 

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Well I guess that answers the question about whether the Colts would have kept JB if the same thing happened to him. 

I've never claimed Jacoby was great.    Elway feels Kelly isn't.   Otherwise,  he would still be a bronco

Not to mention,   Jacoby has a clean record off the field.   Your son doesn't

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Only if Jacoby gets hurt and he doesn't get arrested...   again

He's got a ten cent head, there's no doubting that. 

I just think he's an electric football player. That first game against the Bills made me sit up and be like "who the hell is this guy?" Since then I've gone down the rabbit trail on him and he's a freakshow QB. Watching his college film it's easy to see why Polian said he was the best QB in that year's draft class. He's really just always been his own worst enemy. Jacoby is just boring.

I want someone throwing missiles back there. Perhaps we're just really spoiled with our QB's over the past 20 years. JB is just such a downgrade. 

5 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

giphy.webp

Fh8M2YY.gif

Both kelly and Brissett  have strong arms. Actually  Brissett  made a similar  play in 2017 when he rolled to his right evaded blitzers  and threw a 60 yard bomb to hilton

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

It was against the Niners. I remember. 

The problem  I have with starting  Kelly is his chemistry  with the wrs might not be as good. Good timing with the wrs is the difference  between  13 tds and 32. It is especially  key in the redzone. 

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I really hope Brissett does well.  I just haven't seen it.  Sure the 2017 team was bad and JB was thrown into it, but he still played 16 games and had only 13 TD's.   In his preseason games, he's looked OK, but not great.   Just saying that all I have to go on is that some coaches have said he is a very good QB.     It's enough to give me hope, but not confidence.  

he had 4 rushing tds so 17 tds   in 15 games . but he had the worst oline in the league bad coaching and had no training camp learned the play book in a week

people forget brady threw 18 tds to 12 picks in 2001 when he replaced bledsoe and won the super bowl    . jacoby had 17 tds and 7 picks in 2017 .   the difference brady had a amazing team .

later round QBs take time to get good .   brady was a game manager at first  russell wilson was too .   manning looked like a bust his first year 3-13 .    the biggest reason people are hyping brissett is first the eye test he makes big time throws into tight windows and throws a great deep ball .    he plays like big ben .   he just needs to be more consistent from 2017  where he made pro bowl throws but wasnt consistent .  with age and practice comes consistency .

• Like 2