Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Injury (Merge)

csmopar

28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Most likely he’s in some sort of training regimen that doesn’t target the calf in weird ways. So probably lifting upper body etc. and probably light cardio

He did say he was throwing to his receivers in walk throughs. I would think there is also certain kind of reps he can do. Your right about the cardio and stuff most likely.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:37 PM, Nulled said:

Welp, that's it. The season is over. Who are we taking with a top 5 pick next year?

/s

haha

On 7/30/2019 at 12:49 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I am not going to say it’s time to panic but it’s time to be concerned.  The Colts have a history of being less than honest about Luck’s health and the time he’s been healing is well beyond what it should take for someone to heal from a simple calf strain.  Again,  I am not saying it’s panic time.  Luck could very well be out there for pre-season game two or three, but there is enough smoke here to be concerned about a fire.

Two things. 

1.  Lucks history has shown in about every instance I'm aware of that he heals slower than a reasonable anticipated recovery range.  People are different, being an athlete or pencil pushers in and of itself is not a reliable indicator of healing capability, IMO.

2.  Why do people listen to the front office?  I've been saying listen to the player, or listen to orthopods/atletic trainers that have treated many athletes in a similar condition.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:46 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's reassuring & good to know, but still worrisome that there ever were doctor appointments & scans in the first place.

Because pain diagnosis and treatment begins with ruling out various injuries and finding the root cause.

Andrew was going to be honest to himself after his shoulder situation where he tried to 'fight through' in an accelerated rehab while in pain and further causing issues.  Now, he takes his time.  Doesn't skip steps anymore. And history also appears to show Luck takes a bit longer in healing than many expect.  OTOH, peoples bodies do not care about others recovery times or circled dates on a calendar.  For some it's earlier, some are later. And most others fall in the median/middle somewhere. It is what it is and Andrew now understands and respects that.

But his expectation earlier was he would be ready for TC yet he had not 'improved enough' to do that.  That is 'his setback'.  I'm not that concerned at this point, nor all that surprised. Nor do I expect a KD type incident.  I'm saddened someone (FR) even opened up that floodgate. Let's let Andrew heal up on his schedule and go from there.

26 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

haha

Two things. 

1.  Lucks history has shown in about every instance I'm aware of that he heals slower than a reasonable anticipated recovery range.  People are different, being an athlete or pencil pushers in and of itself is not a reliable indicator of healing capability, IMO.

2.  Why do people listen to the front office?  I've been saying listen to the player, or listen to orthopods/atletic trainers that have treated many athletes in a similar condition.

Because pain diagnosis and treatment begins with ruling out various injuries and finding the root cause.

Andrew was going to be honest to himself after his shoulder situation where he tried to 'fight through' in an accelerated rehab while in pain and further causing issues.  Now, he takes his time.  Doesn't skip steps anymore. And history also appears to show Luck takes a bit longer in healing than many expect.  OTOH, peoples bodies do not care about others recovery times or circled dates on a calendar.  For some it's earlier, some are later. And most others fall in the median/middle somewhere. It is what it is and Andrew now understands and respects that.

But his expectation earlier was he would be ready for TC yet he had not 'improved enough' to do that.  That is 'his setback'.  I'm not that concerned at this point, nor all that surprised. Nor do I expect a KD type incident.  I'm saddened someone (FR) even opened up that floodgate. Let's let Andrew heal up on his schedule and go from there.

Well said.

I am the same way, I heal very slowly.  My ACL, I was told 6-8 months before returning to 100%, it took nearly a year before I could walk without a brace and another year to be able to run without pain or instability. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First....   I’ve never compared the fan base to any other.   So that eliminates any type of ranking issue.

Second....   as to whether most fan bases are like the Colts, not very knowledgeable, I’d doubt it.    Some teams, some cities are known for their fan bases.   

My totally anecdotal / subjective list would be the Packers, Steelers, Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Chiefs, and Bears.  Honorable mention - Browns.

{For knowledge and support. Based upon my experiences knowing fans of theirs, and visiting cities throughout the U.S. in my nationwide traveling work schedule over 31 years}

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 12:35 AM, Jdubu said:

I’ll tell you one thing, this has the same characteristics of the shoulder injury. I’ve said it a few times, this holding back and vague discussions of if it were a real game he would play etc... we’ve heard these lines before and then poof, Luck never played all year. 

My take is that it is what it is. He is in or he is out, the games go on. My thing is, this team was being put together as a competing team for a shot at a Super Bowl. Players need reps to be really superior here and if anyone thinks that Luck is so awesome that him missing some practices here or there isn’t affecting how this team will come out and play is lying to themselves. Continuity is huge at creating success and right now, how much live practice has the young kids had with the #1 QB on this team? They are all used to #2,3 QB ball coming at them. 

Something is up, something is wrong and whether it’s missing real games or a season or dreaded a career, something for sure is wrong. So you can sit back and enjoy the conspiracy theories but I’ve seen this same movie a couple times in the Colts PR room. Manning and now with Luck. Same motto. 

He's practiced in a few 7 on 7s. People are acting as if he's missed all of training camp or something. I'm not concerned about the bolded because it's been happening for a few years, and Luck has been just fine when he's been on the field. So yes, I do think that Luck is so awesome that him missing some practices here or there won't affect the team because it's happened and has been happening for a long time already

On 7/31/2019 at 12:50 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Each issue is unique.    When you haven't healed properly in three months,  and you're supposed to be ready for training camp,  and then TC arrives and you're still not ready and now he's aggrivated the original injury,  that's different than what happened last year.   

Luck was ready at camp.   He suffered no known set-backs.   He played his way back into shape as we hoped he would.    18 was different than 19.

So far,  what he hoped for this time around has not happened.    Not even a little.    And now,  he's only got 5 weeks until the start of the season.     It's not way too early.    I stand by the idea that people who are saying either they are not worried,  or there's no reason for anyone else to be worried absolutely amaze me.    I think they're wishing and hoping.

As for this place being toxic....  this website often is around training camp.     People get way too excited,  too hyped up.    And when things go wrong,  they go crazy.    I've said since I arrived....  very passionate fan base....   not the most knowledgeable.    It doesn't make me very popular.   But I think it's true....

Let's look at the facts regarding the injury. It's supposed to be a mild calf strain, but has mysteriously persisted for 3 months. It has been reported that Luck was not doing a lot of intensive rehab during that time, as everyone thought it would just go away. Andrew Luck was practicing in training camp, but then was shut down after experiencing discomfort on Sunday. He said that, if there were a game on Sunday, he would be healthy enough to play in it. And we have 39 days (I think) until kickoff.

Now tell me, do you think that warrants the response that you have?

Regarding the bolded, you left out some important context. You can't say that we should be as concerned as last year because last year Luck didn't suffer any setbacks and this year he has. An injury isn't bad or not depending on whether it has setbacks. It's bad depending on the injury. We should be far more concerned over an injury that has required someone to stay out of action for a year and a half even if there hasn't been a recent setback, versus a mild calf strain whose recovery has suffered a setback. 

My guy, you can't point to how when things go wrong, they go crazy, when you're the one that's going crazy now that things are going wrong. 

On 7/31/2019 at 12:59 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe it's one of two things. They are outright lying in order to sell tickets again because the real news is worse than intially thought and he needs surgery, or they just have no idea and passing along guesses as fact. They may honestly be hoping rest heals him at this point. Just be honest with the fanbase, you've already been caught doing this once.

"You've already been caught doing this once, so then whenever anyone has any injury and you say they're doing fine, I'm gonna accuse you of doing it again cause of your history"

On 7/31/2019 at 1:46 AM, threeflight said:

All I can say is this much.  I have played just about every sport there is, some at a collegiate to semi pro level, and have lots of injuries, including broken bones, acl, etc.

And I have also had my share of calf strains, arm and back strains, ankle sprains etc.'

I have never taken or known anyone to take 3 months to heal from a calf strain.  A month, month and a half at most.  And even if he did have a calf strain, most people I know have been able to play through it.

No.  There is something more going on here.  And lets face it, Luck has really started to prove himself to be injury prone.  All those injuries he played threw his first few years.  Kidney, ribs, shoulder etc.

As much as I hate to say it, it may be time to at least consider the option of drafting someone good....just in case.

First off, the kidney and rib injury is the same injury. The kidney gets lacerated by the displaced broken rib.

Second off, you can't expose someone to a bunch of hits and then say they get injured because they're "injury prone". No, they got hurt because they got hit a lot. Simple as that. With Pagano running a stupidly vertical offense behind a nonexistent offensive line set up by Grigson, combined with Luck's bad habit of heroics, it's a recipe for disaster. So it's no wonder he got hurt. In fact, it could've been a lot worse. But let's be clear, there is no indication that Luck is getting hurt cause of some vague "injury prone-ness", versus simply getting hurt cause he exposed himself to horrifically bad hits. 

Also, can we take a step back here and realize that the injury that made you say "ok, Luck is injury prone" is a mild calf strain that hasn't cost him any games yet?? :lol:

I don't care how concerned you are, or worried about the fact that 3 months have passed and he's not healed yet, but you cannot deem someone "injury prone" cause of a calf strain in the offseason. That's just laughable.

23 hours ago, Introspect said:

The top 5 QB's in this league don't go through this many injuries or are held out due to nagging "issues". I am a Colt fan but the Front Office is best served to look for another QB once his contract expires and look towards the future (Trevor Lawrence?).

I do hope this team can win a Super Bowl during the Luck Era

We're not tanking for Lawrence if Luck is still healthy and on our roster. And anyways, actually a lot of players, including QBs, are held out of camp due to nagging injuries. You just don't pay attention to it because it's not the Colts.

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

"You've already been caught doing this once, so then whenever anyone has any injury and you say they're doing fine, I'm gonna accuse you of doing it again cause of your history"

Except this isn't anyone, this is Andrew Luck. The backbone of the team, the reason why casual fans buy tickets. I didn't accuse the FO of lying when anyone was hurt like this, just Luck. My evidence is two years ago. That's how business works apparently though, so continue on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I believe a calf strain could cause ankle pain. He did call it a strain and not a sprain which is good. A sprain would mean some tearing. So him calling it a strain is hopefully a good sign.

Sure, I can buy into this.  It is not out of bounds to speculate the calf strain has caused Luck to use his leg and ankle in ways he's not accustomed to in compensation causing ankle discomfort as well.

1 hour ago, GusFring said:

It's the Achilles. Just like Durant kept icing his ankle and not the calf. 

Durant had iced his ankle area even on his initial injury, leading to speculation his Achilles was always involved, at least to some degree.  Technically, one could still refer to it as a calf strain... as long as the word muscle is never mentioned. And there's video showing his sup strong calf muscle 'caused' Durant's Achilles to rupture-

(Warning - not for viewing by the squeamish)

Where was Luck iced initially? Has calf muscle strain ever been mentioned before?  These are the types of little cues to look for.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck is working with Tom House this week at grand park and is taking every snap in walk thrus. Reich said it’s to early to know if he will be back Sat.

If Luck is back Sat., that puts us in great shape. I'm starting to believe we have a shot at the SB if Luck plays 16 games. This team is deep and impressive right now.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Luck is back Sat., that puts us in great shape. I'm starting to believe we have a shot at the SB if Luck plays 16 games. This team is deep and impressive right now.

Tom House is his qb coach he works with in the off season. Am I right about that? If that’s the case it seems like good news.

4 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Let's look at the facts regarding the injury. It's supposed to be a mild calf strain, but has mysteriously persisted for 3 months. It has been reported that Luck was not doing a lot of intensive rehab during that time, as everyone thought it would just go away. Andrew Luck was practicing in training camp, but then was shut down after experiencing discomfort on Sunday. He said that, if there were a game on Sunday, he would be healthy enough to play in it. And we have 39 days (I think) until kickoff.

Now tell me, do you think that warrants the response that you have?

Regarding the bolded, you left out some important context. You can't say that we should be as concerned as last year because last year Luck didn't suffer any setbacks and this year he has. An injury isn't bad or not depending on whether it has setbacks. It's bad depending on the injury. We should be far more concerned over an injury that has required someone to stay out of action for a year and a half even if there hasn't been a recent setback, versus a mild calf strain whose recovery has suffered a setback. 

My guy, you can't point to how when things go wrong, they go crazy, when you're the one that's going crazy now that things are going wrong. 

I'm.................................................   going crazy?

Are you serious?

I simply made a post that this is more serious than what a number of posts believe.

And you think that's...................   going crazy?

I appreciate that you're a somewhat new member here....   but on the Colts.com "Going Crazy" scale....   what I wrote would barely register at all. 

As for everything else....      no where did I say Luck's calf/ankle injury is more serious than his shoulder injury.     All I said is things are different.    That Luck showed up at camp last year and performed and suffered no set backs.    But he showed up to camp this year and his injury had NOT healed and now he's had a set-back.    Those two scenarios are different.    That's all I said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Tom House is his qb coach he works with in the off season. Am I right about that? If that’s the case it seems like good news.

Tom House (ex baseball pitcher) is a pitching mechanics and motion performance expert.  He also worked/works with QB's (Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton  just for a few, etc...) and Luck was supposed to be on that list as well.

Interesting House factoid-  Tom was a Left Handed relief pitcher for the Atlanta Braves and caught Hank Aaron's record setting 715th career home run while out in the bullpen.  He sprinted out to home plate and presented the record HR ball to Hank not too long after he crossed home plate.

920x920.jpg

• Like 2

I guess I will take this a different direction.  I would love to see the defense really improve and come out strong this year.  They played pretty well last year and finished strong.  

If the defense can shut some teams down early it will take some pressure off of our offense and give them time to find their rhythm regardless which QB is playing.

Do I want to see Luck in practice - yes.  Do I want to see him in preseason games - don't really care.  Do I want to see him start the season - of course.  But regardless of whether Luck (or Brissett) and the offense have it going game one I want to see this defense shut some teams down.    

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I guess I will take this a different direction.  I would love to see the defense really improve and come out strong this year.  They played pretty well last year and finished strong.  

If the defense can shut some teams down early it will take some pressure off of our offense and give them time to find their rhythm regardless which QB is playing.

Do I want to see Luck in practice - yes.  Do I want to see him in preseason games - don't really care.  Do I want to see him start the season - of course.  But regardless of whether Luck (or Brissett) and the offense have it going game one I want to see this defense shut some teams down.    

This is a really good point if luck does miss a significant amount of camp.  I think if the defense is as good as it looks so far we can win with Brissett or give Luck a couple games to get going.

I think there is definitely cause for concern.   The MVP caliber QB of the Colts has a pain that has been lingering for 3 months.   Many feel the team is ready for a Superbowl run.   

However, the concern shouldn't be so much that we are talking about drafting a QB with one of the teams first couple picks in next years draft.   

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a really good point if luck does miss a significant amount of camp.  I think if the defense is as good as it looks so far we can win with Brissett or give Luck a couple games to get going.

I can't ever recall the number of excited, positive comments about our defense before this year. We've had our share of high performance individuals before - like Bob Sanders - but it seems our whole defense has risen to the top. This should be good … very good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

I can't ever recall the number of excited, positive comments about our defense before this year. We've had our share of high performance individuals before - like Bob Sanders - but it seems our whole defense has risen to the top. This should be good … very good.

I hope that it is that good and it isn’t just because Luck is out.

6 hours ago, BigQungus said:

He's practiced in a few 7 on 7s. People are acting as if he's missed all of training camp or something. I'm not concerned about the bolded because it's been happening for a few years, and Luck has been just fine when he's been on the field. So yes, I do think that Luck is so awesome that him missing some practices here or there won't affect the team because it's happened and has been happening for a long time already

How was our first 5-6 games last year? We started out slow and then as the reps piled up and everyone became more adjusted to each other, the team got better and play calling improved.  This is a hard game and despite your simplistic view of a few 7 on 7 drills makes everything ok is just flat out wrong. If that’s all a team needed is to let their QB toss a few balls in the preseason workouts and save a training camp injury from happening, that’s what every team would do. So it looks like our opinions differ here in this. 

On 7/31/2019 at 12:52 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I think Luck has to figure out if this situation is more mental then physical.  I am leaning more that this is more mental then physical. It’s great that he is listening to his body but his press conference really makes me think this is more of a mental thing then anything.

I agree.  Injuries really seem to get into his head.

I also wonder if the K Durant injury had never happened, if he would be on the field right now.

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I believe a calf strain could cause ankle pain. He did call it a strain and not a sprain which is good. A sprain would mean some tearing. So him calling it a strain is hopefully a good sign.

More than likely the ankle is hurting because his normal walk and running style is off kilter from the calf, thereby putting pressure on the ankle.

I trained race horses for 25 years and for example it was very common for a horse to go lame in the left knee or ankle if they had an original injury in the right leg just from putting all the pressure on the left leg to compensate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the dilemma, is the defense really as good as it’s reported to be or is it because it’s playing against a back up QB? I think that’s a point several of us have pointed to as being an issue with not having Luck in during practice. Luck may school this defense and then the coaches see cracks in the system. Brissett May give artificial hope that the defense is doing what it’s should be doing because of inferior play at QB. How many years have we thought we had a pretty solid defense because they looked great against our offense in TC only to get slaughtered in the preseason and first games of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Here is the dilemma, is the defense really as good as it’s reported to be or is it because it’s playing against a back up QB? I think that’s a point several of us have pointed to as being an issue with not having Luck in during practice. Luck may school this defense and then the coaches see cracks in the system. Brissett May give artificial hope that the defense is doing what it’s should be doing because of inferior play at QB. How many years have we thought we had a pretty solid defense because they looked great against our offense in TC only to get slaughtered in the preseason and first games of the season. 

Well, even when Luck was in there, they were holding their own.  and the DL vs OL battle has been reportedly very intense, with the DL beating the OL many many times and we all know the OL is top 10.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Except this isn't anyone, this is Andrew Luck. The backbone of the team, the reason why casual fans buy tickets. I didn't accuse the FO of lying when anyone was hurt like this, just Luck. My evidence is two years ago. That's how business works apparently though, so continue on.

I stand corrected: "You've already been caught doing this once, so then whenever anyone important has any injury and you say they're doing fine, I'm gonna accuse you of doing it again cause of your history"

Someone should create a Thread, will Luck start on opening day? haha After reading some of these posts someone should. If you vote no then you will look silly IMO. That is all that matters in reality. I would love to see him in game 3 of the pre-season as I have posted but if it doesn't happen, it is what it is. My level of concern as of now on a scale of 0-10 is a 2 about his injury. I didn't go 0 or 1 because he is feeling discomfort. If he doesn't play in game 3 of the pre-season it will still just be a 5 which is concern but not major concern

To the people saying it his Achilles, Luck says it isn't and scans were even done saying it wasn't according to Luck. So to those people saying it is, you are calling Luck a liar.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm.................................................   going crazy?

Are you serious?

I simply made a post that this is more serious than what a number of posts believe.

And you think that's...................   going crazy?

I appreciate that you're a somewhat new member here....   but on the Colts.com "Going Crazy" scale....   what I wrote would barely register at all. 

As for everything else....      no where did I say Luck's calf/ankle injury is more serious than his shoulder injury.     All I said is things are different.    That Luck showed up at camp last year and performed and suffered no set backs.    But he showed up to camp this year and his injury had NOT healed and now he's had a set-back.    Those two scenarios are different.    That's all I said.

I think it's going crazy if we compare this injury at all to last year's injury. Yes, things are different. But you wrote it as if we're supposed to believe that things are different in a worse way, because this year Luck suffered a setback and isn't practicing as much in training camp, and last year he did. 

To be clear, I'm not saying your reaction ranks anywhere near the all-time colts.com level freakouts. I am new on this forum, but I have been reading it for a few years now, probably since 2016. I wasn't able to join cause the members application wasn't working for some reason. I was just exploding when I saw someone type something crazy and I couldn't respond! haha

But regarding this issue, you definitely seem to be reacting the strongest and playing into your emotions and fears versus reason. Hence, your point about people here being emotional and brainless doesn't bode well when you react with such emotion and fear. Not that I'm blaming you for reacting that way, I'm just saying 

50 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

How was our first 5-6 games last year? We started out slow and then as the reps piled up and everyone became more adjusted to each other, the team got better and play calling improved.  This is a hard game and despite your simplistic view of a few 7 on 7 drills makes everything ok is just flat out wrong. If that’s all a team needed is to let their QB toss a few balls in the preseason workouts and save a training camp injury from happening, that’s what every team would do. So it looks like our opinions differ here in this. 

That's not "all a team needs", but it's not nothing. You're also leaving out the factor that we started slow because Luck had never played a game in 1 and a half years. The reps were important cause they got him back to speed. Plus, new head coach. But the main point is in the past when he was playing with the shoulder injury, he barely practiced and still played like a Pro Bowler. So it's not completely unfounded or wishful thinking that Luck "is so awesome that him missing a few practices here and there" won't have a disastrous effect on his play