Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Safety We Should Target

I see a lot of talk about Landon Collins being added to the team this offseason, mostly because he is a hard hitting safety and will most likely be the hardest hitting safety of the group. Yet he has been known to be bad in coverage outside the box that's why we should focus on picking up Adrian Amos Jr. who has spent his career in a cover two system and has been ranked as a top 15 safety by PFF (which he is currently ranked 8th) now I know y'all don't like PFF but just think with his cover skills we will be open up Hookers opportunities, and if we resign geathers we will be able to put him in the box more with a 3 safety set

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I see a lot of talk about Landon Collins being added to the team this offseason, mostly because he is a hard hitting safety and will most likely be the hardest hitting safety of the group. Yet he has been known to be bad in coverage outside the box that's why we should focus on picking up Adrian Amos Jr. who has spent his career in a cover two system and has been ranked as a top 15 safety by PFF (which he is currently ranked 8th) now I know y'all don't like PFF but just think with his cover skills we will be open up Hookers opportunities, and if we resign geathers we will be able to put him in the box more with a 3 safety set

Good post

I would be ecstatic to have Amos or Collins. I think Amos is a better fit for our system on paper, but Collins does have a higher ceiling. The idea of having two potential All-Pros year-after-year is why people are pulling for Landon Collins. Amos would look nice is blue & white tho, that’s for sure. 

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Screw it. Let’s sign both 

hahahahaha

in all honesty, if I had my choice, I’d go with Amos.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Screw it. Let’s sign both 

hahahahaha

in all honesty, if I had my choice, I’d go with Amos.

You laugh, but. . . 

I'd seriously be all for getting both (or someone similar to Amos), drafting Devin Bush and running a 4-2-5 base D.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the Bears much, but do you know how we read PFF grades every week and are shocked by certain grades?  From what I've read, that seems to be the case with Amos and Bears fans, period.  They don't seem to be losing any sleep over him possibly moving on.  I read in a blog that he was benched at one point.  It was like Turay last season.  PFF produced an article on how great he was, and he was benched the next week.

If we are not targeting an elite player at the position(Collins, Earl Thomas - yes I actually think I would love him with us, even though he's played single high so far for Seattle) I'd rather we go over the scrap heap and get the best player we can from the leftovers of free agency. We saw last year how very good players were still available for practically free in the middle of the season. 

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Why a 4-2-5?

4 hours ago, wig said:

You laugh, but. . . 

I'd seriously be all for getting both (or someone similar to Amos), drafting Devin Bush and running a 4-2-5 base D.

Effectively it would be a 4-3 that we run currently with Collins running as a box safety/linebacker hybrid to cover TE’s. Amos and Hooker on the back end would take away anything deep, and then we would just need a pair of corners who could lock down anything close, taking away the need for super fast corners and allowing us to target amazing cover corners who fell in the draft because they were slow. Throw in Bush with Leonard and the short to intermediate part of the field will also be locked down, and we would force the opponent to run the ball to have any effectiveness whatsoever. I’m actually in love with this idea now that you’ve said it!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Effectively it would be a 4-3 that we run currently with Collins running as a box safety/linebacker hybrid to cover TE’s. Amos and Hooker on the back end would take away anything deep, and then we would just need a pair of corners who could lock down anything close, taking away the need for super fast corners and allowing us to target amazing cover corners who fell in the draft because they were slow. Throw in Bush with Leonard and the short to intermediate part of the field will also be locked down, and we would force the opponent to run the ball to have any effectiveness whatsoever. I’m actually in love with this idea now that you’ve said it!

You get it. 

Edit: the run D would be a potential concern.  But with it being Leonard's strength, it's hard to see it as a big concern. That D would fly to the ball.  

• Like 2

On 3/9/2019 at 1:44 AM, Zoltan said:

The stories I've seen about Amos (who I like and want) say he's not top-15...   but that he's ranked 7th overall this year,   and 2nd overall last year among safeties...     that's top-10.

I once posted Amos might be a Ballard type because he might not be too expensive.

I no longer think that.    With PFF grades like that,  Amos is going to be paid.    I'm guessing 4-5 years and 8-9 Mill per.     That might price him out of our range.     Oh, well....