Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That would be incredible. The Lawrence signing isn't realistic...but the other two are.

Tate is up there in age...but I like him as a reliable slot WR for this offense. He would offer some YAC that this team is missing. Hilton, Inman, Tate would form a nice vet group and then hit the draft early and late for 1-2 more to develop alongside Cain and compete with whomever else. Suddenly, the WR group is much much stronger. 

I honestly forgot about Suh hitting FA. And it sounds like McCoy is going to get released as well. I see no reason why Ballard doesn't make it a priority to sign one of those two. They are both perfect fits...and a very effective way to plug a hole on the DL for the next two years of the competitive window. Not to mention Ballard signed Al Woods entering his age 30 season...so there is definitely some precedent here for older DL.

Give me Jordan Hicks on top of that list...and a solid vet S who is left standing without a chair in late March...and that is a tremendous FA period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

That would be incredible. The Lawrence signing isn't realistic...but the other two are.

Tate is up there in age...but I like him as a reliable slot WR for this offense. He would offer some YAC that this team is missing. Hilton, Inman, Tate would form a nice vet group and then hit the draft early and late for 1-2 more to develop alongside Cain and compete with whomever else. Suddenly, the WR group is much much stronger. 

I honestly forgot about Suh hitting FA. And it sounds like McCoy is going to get released as well. I see no reason why Ballard doesn't make it a priority to sign one of those two. They are both perfect fits...and a very effective way to plug a hole on the DL for the next two years of the competitive window. Not to mention Ballard signed Al Woods entering his age 30 season...so there is definitely some precedent here for older DL.

Give me Jordan Hicks on top of that list...and a solid vet S who is left standing without a chair in late March...and that is a tremendous FA period.

Couldn't agree more, man. This offseason is gonna be a lot of fun, and they have so much ammunition that I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat. They can basically do whatever they want in FA, and with the Jets pick and possibly more by moving Brissett, one could argue they're in the best position in the league to make huge strides this offseason. 

As fas as S, I really want Clinton-Dix. 

The Lawrence situation could get interesting.  He has already said he would not sign another tag leaving the door open for another Bell type holdout.  Especially if Bell's holdout turns out okay for him.  I wonder if the Cowboys will put the non exclusive tag on him thereby leaving him open to offers but they would receive two 1st rd. picks if he signs and they don't match.   Then the big questions is would Ballard sign him if it costs us two No.1's.  This years No.1 is 26.  Next years could also be late.  A little different scenario than the Mack case because who knew how we were going to end up for the season.  I'm really hoping they do put the non exclusive on him.  Then what will Ballard do?  I hope we get a chance to find out. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Definitely want Tate in a Colts uniform. 

I think Suh has talent, just not sure if "perfect fit" are the words I'd be using to describe him

I would definitely take McCoy over Suh. But I think both would fit the defense very well. It would come down to price tag...and I tend to think McCoy would be a bit cheaper (and he's a year younger).

49 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Lawrence situation could get interesting.  He has already said he would not sign another tag leaving the door open for another Bell type holdout.  Especially if Bell's holdout turns out okay for him.  I wonder if the Cowboys will put the non exclusive tag on him thereby leaving him open to offers but they would receive two 1st rd. picks if he signs and they don't match.   Then the big questions is would Ballard sign him if it costs us two No.1's.  This years No.1 is 26.  Next years could also be late.  A little different scenario than the Mack case because who knew how we were going to end up for the season.  I'm really hoping they do put the non exclusive on him.  Then what will Ballard do?  I hope we get a chance to find out. 

If he isn't wanting to sign the exclusive franchise tag...I would imagine he wouldn't be happy with the non-exclusive franchise tag...which would hurt his market. Sure Mack got two 1st round picks in trade...but he was a better player with more of a track record.

I don't see Ballard giving up two 1st round picks AND a contract to get Lawrence in the mix.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Absolutely not. Even if they are later picks, you can't give up 2 potential studs on rookie deals for one guy...unless it's a Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald, and while Lawrence is a hell of a player, he isn't in that tier. 

“Will Chris Ballard finally splurge on a ‘win now’ sort of move? With a playoff roster and $107 million in cap space, it would almost be irresponsible not to make one or two such plays this offseason.”

I would call that person's comment as irresponsible. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

“Will Chris Ballard finally splurge on a ‘win now’ sort of move? With a playoff roster and $107 million in cap space, it would almost be irresponsible not to make one or two such plays this offseason.”

I would call that person's comment as irresponsible. 

Agreed. It's always someone trying to spend someone else's money...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

If he isn't wanting to sign the exclusive franchise tag...I would imagine he wouldn't be happy with the non-exclusive franchise tag...which would hurt his market. Sure Mack got two 1st round picks in trade...but he was a better player with more of a track record.

I don't see Ballard giving up two 1st round picks AND a contract to get Lawrence in the mix.

Huge difference.  The exclusive tag prohibits any team from negotiating with him.  The non exclusive lets other teams talk to him and make him an offer.  No reason to sign the exclusive.  The non exclusive will show the Cowboys and Lawrence what teams think he's worth.  If the Cowboys don't want to pay what he's worth on the market they get the picks.  Not a bad consolation prize.  The two picks would be late picks in our case.  Certainly not guaranteed to be great players.  Many teams would consider his age and production to date worth the picks.  That said I would be surprised if they put the non exclusive tag on him but on the other hand they want to sign and extend Dak, Cooper, and Elliot is around the corner.  Big contracts coming up fast for them.  They have a lot of decisions to make. 

10 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Plus I've never heard about McCoy stomping on people 

I don't think Suh has stomped anyone in a while.   I doubt Ballard goes after him due to dollars and age but I think he'd look good in there next to Grover Stewart.