Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s talk Chiefs Defense

ColtsBlitz

So after a bit of research, I found that the Chiefs in the regular season had: 

- 31st ranked defense against the pass (273 ypg)

- 27th ranked defense against the run (132.1 ypg)

- 5.0 yards per rushing attempt (2nd worst)

- Gave up 19 (T-3rd most NFL) I’m rushing TDS

- Generated 27 turnovers (15 INT, 12 FUM)

- +9 turnover differential

- Allowed 26.3 PPG

All of these stats are why this game is winnable. The Chiefs defense is in the argument for the worst in football, and we have arguably one of the best offenses in BOTH phases of the game. Running the ball and stopping the run are something we have over the Chiefs, by a large margin. Thoughts?

The Chiefs D overall is not good, but they are opportunistic.  Than can create TOs in bunches and their pass rush is top notch.

But on the backside they are not good at all.  Their CBs are not good at all and havea rep for being grabby.  Sorenson is a good safety but coverage is not his strong suit.  If Berry comes back, he is a great safety but it won't be enough to make up for the lack of talent at the other positions.

Lastly Sutton has been a bit predictable with his D formations this year, that may be because of their lack of talent in the defensive backfield, but by the end of the first quarter Luck should have a good grasp on what KC is going to be doing for the day.

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

So after a bit of research, I found that the Chiefs in the regular season had: 

- 31st ranked defense against the pass (273 ypg)

- 27th ranked defense against the run (132.1 ypg)

- 5.0 yards per rushing attempt (2nd worst)

- Gave up 19 (T-3rd most NFL) I’m rushing TDS

- Generated 27 turnovers (15 INT, 12 FUM)

- +9 turnover differential

- Allowed 26.3 PPG

All of these stats are why this game is winnable. The Chiefs defense is in the argument for the worst in football, and we have arguably one of the best offenses in BOTH phases of the game. Running the ball and stopping the run are something we have over the Chiefs, by a large margin. Thoughts?

Luck and Co. will tear that defense apart.  I can see this game as their offense vs our defense.

I think the Colts need to slow the game down and run the ball.  The Colts o-line needs to bully the Chiefs like they've bullied other teams the past 10 or 11 weeks.  I don't think you want to get into a shoot out with the Chiefs, that plays into their advantage.  Colts can't have any turnovers, can't get down early and need to force some turnovers and put pressure on Mahomes and I think they'll have a legit shot at winning.  There playing great on both sides of the ball right now.  This Chiefs offense is nothing like they've faced all year though, it's going to be a good test. 

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We just played a team who has two of the best pass rushers in the league. Luck had zero sacks. We can handle them I think.

It will be interesting how our offense does against this defense.

Bob Sutton is off the Ravens coaching tree.  Luck has seen all that stuff before 1 million times. I think Luck will have his way with them.   I don't think their pass rush will do enough. I think this will be like the Raiders game, or maybe like the 1st Titans game in terms of how we move the ball.

They do love to get you into 3rd and longs and if you are playing on the road, staying competitive means you should have less penalties and negative yardage plays that put you behind the 8 ball on offense. 

Arrowhead is a great HFA in terms of noise that it can produce, as good as the Seahawks' stadium level of noise, IMO. So, silent counts, not committing penalties etc. are going to be key on offense. The best way to take a crowd out of the game is methodically move the chains and run real well.

3rd down conversions are going to be key. We are the league leaders in 3rd down conversions. Guess who is 2nd - KC Chiefs. Since the 2005-2009 years when we were top 2 in 3rd down conversions for 5 years straight in the Peyton era (remarkable, if you think about it), this is the first time we have cracked the top 2 again. 3rd down is where this game will be won, for both teams, on offense and defense.

But if we can help it, 3rd and short would be far better than 3rd and long, especially on the road. 

• Like 2

I just watched KC's last game (Raiders). Chiefs won 35-3. 

The Raiders moved the ball at will, but turned the ball over 4 times in the first half. Carr was bad. Threw a pick six that was all on him. Threw another int that was all on him where the Chiefs took it to the Raiders 4 yd line. So, the Chiefs jumped out to a 21-0 lead.

Mahomes hit some big plays. But he also threw a lot of bad passes, even though he got very little pressure. I won't be surprised if he throws 2 int's against the Colts.

Doug Martin got at least 5 yds every time he was handed the ball. Had almost 100 yds in the 1st half alone. ..... Mack might run for 200+ yards against this defense.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, egg said:

I just watched KC's last game (Raiders). Chiefs won 35-3. 

The Raiders moved the ball at will, but turned the ball over 4 times in the first half. Carr was bad. Threw a pick six that was all on him. Threw another int that was all on him where the Chiefs took it to the Raiders 4 yd line. So, the Chiefs jumped out to a 21-0 lead.

Mahomes hit some big plays. But he also threw a lot of bad passes, even though he got very little pressure. I won't be surprised if he throws 2 int's against the Colts.

Doug Martin got at least 5 yds every time he was handed the ball. Had almost 100 yds in the 1st half alone. ..... Mack might run for 200+ yards against this defense.

I think they were just messing around with OAK in that game...trying to get past milestones. 

This is a good article about how they feel the Chiefs cannot hesitate in attacking the gaps while defending the run:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/8/18173089/how-the-chiefs-defense-beats-the-colts-rushing-offense

I do expect a lot of stunts which will slow down OL from establishing blocks and moving to the next level and lining DLs along A-gaps and the occasional run blitzes to stop the run. 

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is a good article about how they feel the Chiefs cannot hesitate in attacking the gaps while defending the run:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/8/18173089/how-the-chiefs-defense-beats-the-colts-rushing-offense

I do expect a lot of stunts which will slow down OL from establishing blocks and moving to the next level and lining DLs along A-gaps and the occasional run blitzes to stop the run. 

Their run defense was sorry even in Paganos last year or whatever that was.  The  most recent loss we had to the Chiefs at home the running lanes were wide open but for some mysterious reason Chud and Pagano had Luck stand back there passing all day taking multiple sacks and hits. 

We have ran the ball all over top defenses during our 9-1 run. Our O-line is our strength. I don't see them stopping our run. Take away their pass rush by jamming that ball down their throats. Moving the chains with passes and run. Nice equal balance with our defense. I feel pretty good about the game. 

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

I would feel a lot better if this game was in our house.

Hell no.. It would be a track meet at our place and we don't want that. As much as I want home games, this isn't one I would want. I want this one outside so it limits what KC can and wants to do. Finally, I feel like our offense and OL is built well enough to play away and outside where as I don't think KC's offense, unless Reid dials it back, will be as affective outside and in the elements(hopefully).

• Thanks 1

We have to run the ball effectively. That should make for easy reads for Luck in the RPO. Their inside backers are phonebooth type. They will try and take away our run game, so I believe we will come out throwing the ball at the start of the game. Personally I do not like it when Lucks starts going empty set on early downs, then he hits Ty for a 15 yard game.