Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams Trading #2 Pick Vs. Colts Trading #1 Pick

Ramblinwreck7

http://sports.yahoo...._colts_rams0309

I wanted to wait before this is all over before I said anything concrete on what has happened lately, but I hope the colts front office, namely Jim Irsay, sees what the St. Louis Rams reportedly will get for trading the #2 pick to the Washington Redskins:

2012 - #6 overall pick and their 2nd round pick

2013 - 1st round pick

2014 - 1st round pick

That's 3 first round picks and a 2nd rounder, for just moving down 4 spots from #2 to #6 in this years draft. That's incredible.

I'm sure most people on here will just say that I'm wrong, but the damage in Indianapolis is not permanent yet. We've released Peyton Manning, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai and a few other good veterans. That doesn't mean that we can't resign them though. We might have released a few of them anyways because some of them were getting paid a little too much for being injured too often, namely Gary Brackett and Melvin Bullit, while resigning some of them later. It's not like this team is devoid of talent, we went to the Super Bowl 2 years ago, with a lot of the same players. Add in the incredible amount of draft picks that we could get in a trade of the #1 pick, and our team would not only have a bright present, but also a bright future.

I'm not going to speculate too much on what we would get in return, but it would more than likely be more than what the Rams got for Robert Griffin III. Now that he has been traded for, that leaves 1 top ranked quarterback left, which is Andrew Luck. Teams could also start to get more desperate now that Robert Griffin III is off the table. I just don't want the colts to mess what they have up, I think this team still has it in them. It would be great to get Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Dwight Freeney, and the other guys at least another Super Bowl win before they retire.

I wanted to wait before this is all over before I said anything concrete on what has happened lately, but I hope the colts front office, namely Jim Irsay, sees what the St. Louis Rams reportedly will get for trading the #2 pick to the Washington Redskins:

2013 - 1st round pick

2014 - 1st round pick

That's 3 first round picks and a 2nd rounder, for just moving down 4 spots from #2 to #6 in this years draft. That's incredible.

I'm sure most people on here will just say that I'm wrong, but the damage in Indianapolis is not permanent yet. We've released Peyton Manning, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai and a few other good veterans. That doesn't mean that we can't resign them though. We might have released a few of them anyways because some of them were getting paid a little too much for being injured too often, namely Gary Brackett and Melvin Bullit, while resigning some of them later. It's not like this team is devoid of talent, we went to the Super Bowl 2 years ago, with a lot of the same players. Add in the incredible amount of draft picks that we could get in a trade of the #1 pick, and our team would not only have a bright present, but also a bright future.

I'm not going to speculate too much on what we would get in return, but it would more than likely be more than what the Rams got for Robert Griffin III. Now that he has been traded for, that leaves 1 top ranked quarterback left, which is Andrew Luck. Teams could also start to get more desperate now that Robert Griffin III is off the table. I just don't want the colts to mess what they have up, I think this team still has it in them. It would be great to get Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Dwight Freeney, and the other guys at least another Super Bowl win before they retire.

Never going to happen ... join the rest of us and accept reality

This is a fantasy. The Colts would never get as much as the Rams, because there was only one team willing to overpay for that pick. The Redskins made a mistake. A good front office would never have made that trade. Teams are not "more desperate", the Colts are stuck with Luck. Too bad the Colts don't have more draft picks to rebuild sooner. This is a very deep draft.

i think the redskins have messed it up thats way to many picks to give up and because of that teams will look for the that trade all the time now for the 2nd pick and even higher for the 1st pick so teams will be giving up so much now for trades in future

This is a fantasy. The Colts would never get as much as the Rams, because there was only one team willing to overpay for that pick. The Redskins made a mistake. A good front office would never have made that trade. Teams are not "more desperate", the Colts are stuck with Luck. Too bad the Colts don't have more draft picks to rebuild sooner. This is a very deep draft.

We aren't "stuck" with luck. We are very very LUCKy to be in the position to get him. The qb position is the most important in football. Majority of teams in the nfl have been searching for a qb like luck for years. Letting go of Clark addai brackett and bullit was a good move, all of them r later in their careers or injury prone. Wayne and freeney will be gone too which sucks but we will fine. It's going to be rough for a few years but after that we will have a great team. We have all been asking for this in one way or the other. We r getting away from the Tampa 2 and becoming more balanced on both sides of the ball. Verrrrreey exciting

We aren't "stuck" with luck. We are very very LUCKy to be in the position to get him. The qb position is the most important in football. Majority of teams in the nfl have been searching for a qb like luck for years. Letting go of Clark addai brackett and bullit was a good move, all of them r later in their careers or injury prone. Wayne and freeney will be gone too which sucks but we will fine. It's going to be rough for a few years but after that we will have a great team. We have all been asking for this in one way or the other. We r getting away from the Tampa 2 and becoming more balanced on both sides of the ball. Verrrrreey exciting

I agree. It was just too hard to resist the obvious rhyme.

We still can get our "kings ransom" next year, because I expect that we will end with another number one pick next year. It hurts to see all these players gone but face the truth: Manning is getting old and every hit can now end his career, our other key players either are old or injury prone and don't forget that we spend a lot of our cap on a few players over the last years. We now have the chance to correct this dilemma and spend our cap more wisely.

Drafting Luck and cleaning house is the only way to go about this folks. This has to be Andrew Lucks team through and through. It cant be Peytons old team with Luck under center. Its time to start clean and Irsay knows this. Coach's GM QB. New Defensive scheme. Its gonna get worse before it gets better but its gonna be a heck of a ride. Im so excited about this new direction. Its gonna take 3 years to get pieces into places. It hurts losing a dog but the new puppy makes it hurt less. This is what todays NFL is built to be. You go on runs..you rebuild...you go on runs again. Its better to rebuild from the ground up then to hold on to someone who is over paid because of emotion. This is gonna be fun. It may sting alittle at first but this is gonna be fun.

The Redskins can't help themselves. Every chance they get to make a bad move they do it. How excited do you think RGIII is that they traded away the future to bring him in? I'm sure it's a temporary ego boost that they want him so bad, but when the reality of less help coming his way for the future sets in he might not be so happy.

2013 - 1st round pick

2014 - 1st round pick

Wow - that is a lot of effort for something that has less than zero chance of happening.

Oh, by the way - you are wrong.

Keep in mind that it was the Redskins and if it were any other team, it would have been a more reasonable deal. You would have gotten the craziest kinds ransom if it were the Redskins trading for the #1 pick. Any other team and you'd still get a lot, but I don't know if it would be the same kind of deal that the skins offered.

2013 - 1st round pick

2014 - 1st round pick

Future picks don't help the need now, the Colts need a quarterback so what top notch prospect will be on the board after Luck? Irsay burned his bridges by releasing Peyton so we have to live with the fact and get help NOW.

I think the Redskin trade proves though that while the Colts could certainly have gotten alot of 1st round picks they wouldnt have been very useful in terms of quickly reloading. While the picks are mostly made up of 1st rounders they are spread out over 3 seasons. Even if you are overly optimistic and assume each 1st rounder fully develops in one full season youre talking 4 seasons until the potential of the trade is realized.

The only trade that even made any kind of sense for reloading semi-quickly would have been with the Browns (assuming they would give up both in this draft and another next season). There is no guarantee Cleveland would have even agreed to such a deal either. Otherwise we could have expected a deal similar to what the Rams got with probably a few more 2nd rounders or 3rd rounders thrown in.

2013 - 1st round pick

2014 - 1st round pick

I'm sure most people on here will just say that I'm wrong, but the damage in Indianapolis is not permanent yet. We've released Peyton Manning, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai and a few other good veterans. That doesn't mean that we can't

While the senario you suggest could never happen, it makes me wonder what we could have got if we kept manning and traded the picks to the skins. Jeeeeez. There is no way Luck can be this valuable, no way. You cant get struck by lightning twice. no way, no how. We could have gotten someother QB from one of the future skins picks, probably a first pick cause even with luck, they would suck.

I think the Redskin trade proves though that while the Colts could certainly have gotten alot of 1st round picks they wouldnt have been very useful in terms of quickly reloading. While the picks are mostly made up of 1st rounders they are spread out over 3 seasons. Even if you are overly optimistic and assume each 1st rounder fully develops in one full season youre talking 4 seasons until the potential of the trade is realized.

The only trade that even made any kind of sense for reloading semi-quickly would have been with the Browns (assuming they would give up both in this draft and another next season). There is no guarantee Cleveland would have even agreed to such a deal either. Otherwise we could have expected a deal similar to what the Rams got with probably a few more 2nd rounders or 3rd rounders thrown in.

That's why I didn't speculate on what we would get in a trade of the #1 pick. Cleveland would be a great trading partner, we could get 2 first rounders this year with one being very high, maybe a 2nd rounder this year, and that's just 2012 alone. 3 high draft picks is quickly reloading, and then you might get a proven player in the trade or more high draft picks in the future.

I dont think its far fetched to think we could have gotten four firsts and a second or three firsts and three seconds for Andrew.

And theres no way to compare our team to our SB team. Do we even have any impact players left besides Mathis Bethea and possibly Freeney?

We practicly have the same team, and it is probably better than the roster we had in 2010 when we went 10-6 and made the playoffs. We had a very good draft in 2011 which brought in talented players like Anthony Castonzo, Ben Ijalana, and Drake Nevis, with good players in Delone Carter and Chris Rucker as well.

Did I say we were? All I'm trying to do is to wake up the colts front office!

Yes, because im sure some dude posting on an internet forum is experienced enough and so enlightened to the inner workings of the NFL that they should really be taking advice from you, me, or any other dufus posting on this or any other forum.

Yes, because im sure some dude posting on an internet forum is experienced enough and so enlightened to the inner workings of the NFL that they should really be taking advice from you, me, or any other dufus posting on this or any other forum.

You seem to think that people who work in the NFL are extremely smart and always know what they're doing. Let me ask you, how do you get a job in the NFL? It's a very limited labor pool that they choose from. Just because someone doesn't work in the NFL doesn't mean that they could do a better job, whether that be me, you, or anyone else out there. Labor competition is the name of the game.

You seem to think that people who work in the NFL are extremely smart and always know what they're doing. Let me ask you, how do you get a job in the NFL? It's a very limited labor pool that they choose from. Just because someone doesn't work in the NFL doesn't mean that they could do a better job, whether that be me, you, or anyone else out there. Labor competition is the name of the game.

My point is were fans, we let emotion get in the way of logic most of the time. The men who own NFL franchises are business men 1st and foremost and the men they employ are business men who most of the time have no emotional ties to the the players they sign. They do what they think is in the best interest of their respective franchises. Sometimes they make the wrong decisions but most of the time they do not, which is why they are successful and rich. Most, if not all fans would run the franchises into the ground in 5 yrs. or less because they can not seperate emotions from business and I, for one, am certainly glad that Irsay has not been listening to fans on the decisions he has had to make because like I've said before, we would be stuck with a bunch of has beens and never will be's.

My point is were fans, we let emotion get in the way of logic most of the time. The men who own NFL franchises are business men 1st and foremost and the men they employ are business men who most of the time have no emotional ties to the the players they sign. They do what they think is in the best interest of their respective franchises. Sometimes they make the wrong decisions but most of the time they do not, which is why they are successful and rich. Most, if not all fans would run the franchises into the ground in 5 yrs. or less because they can not seperate emotions from business and I, for one, am certainly glad that Irsay has not been listening to fans on the decisions he has had to make because like I've said before, we would be stuck with a bunch of has beens and never will be's.

Your right, most fans probably wouldn't know how to run an NFL franchise. My point was that NFL executives aren't the complete geniuses that some people make them out to be. They make mistakes too. If you separate emotion from the issue, I still think that keeping Peyton Manning and trading the #1 pick is the best situation.

And I still would like to know how you get a job in the NFL... how exactly do you become a scout or something like that?

Just imagine what Cleveland must be feeling like right now. They coveted that second pick...perhaps what they would be willing to give up for the 1st pick....sometimes teams don't always act rationally. Washington clearly thinks with a qb they could be a playoff team this year or the next so those next two picks wouldn't mean as much. They actually have like 30 million in cap space and could easily fill wholes in FA. I really wonder why we didn't move Freeney before and cut a few people to open up about 20 million in cap space. Would have made signing people like Garcon and Reggie very possible and we still could have had Luck...or traded it as we are proposing for the 4th pick...and got Kalil or Blackmon. Then we would have had someone perhaps like Poe at Titans 20th (if freeney trade works out) and signed OL or more defense with Clevelands 22. We would then have our number 34 for more help on defense. Then next year when we would have Clevelands pick and more likely a top 10 at that and our first rounder late...we could have packaged to move up on Barkley (not much a difference from Luck). We could have reloaded instead of rebuilt. This whole thing could have been done differently. We have to accept what we have but man I would have loved to see Peyton retire a Colt (had a play off run for a year or two) and reloaded with Barkley or another top notch qb next year. Just saying there were alternatives....and getting rid of Peyton and drafting Luck wasn't the only one. Restructuring, cutting some others, trading Freeney was a possibility. Then you have cap space to resign Garcon or Wayne..bring back Saturday...get a first round receiver or stud lineman and get defense. Anyways point is moot now.

I mean no offense, but why are you here then?

There are still guys like Philip Wheeler, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Antoine Bethea left, right haha?

Anyways, like I said in my post, I don't think the damage is permanent yet. I mean, we've released Peyton Manning and 4 key guys, with a couple of them being injury prone. That's it. Who's to say that you can't resign Peyton Manning and a couple of them or maybe all of them? None of our key veterans are on other teams yet, they're still out there to be resigned. I don't want the colts to mess what they have up while they still have the chance to fix it. That's basically what this post is for.

There are still guys like Philip Wheeler, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Antoine Bethea left, right haha?

Anyways, like I said in my post, I don't think the damage is permanent yet. I mean, we've released Peyton Manning and 4 key guys, with a couple of them being injury prone. That's it. Who's to say that you can't resign Peyton Manning and a couple of them or maybe all of them? None of our key veterans are on other teams yet, they're still out there to be resigned. I don't want the colts to mess what they have up while they still have the chance to fix it. That's basically what this post is for.

If they did not restructure, what are the odds they come back to the Colts for less? I would say very low, right?

I am personally upset with mainly the Clark cut, I felt was a bit premature, the others we have quantity and/or quality to replace with. With Eldridge always banged up, and one injury to Tamme, we better stock with 6 WRs on the roster to prepare for that then. No more ST play for Tamme :). Have we ever tried using Tamme and Clark at the same time on the field? I felt we could have tried something like that instead of asking Clark to block Mario Williams and some instances, James Harrison. Now, we will never know if that would have given us a potent combo.

Immature.

Immature? Perhaps. But spot on.

You typed a novel on something that absolutely no chance of happening. All those players are gone and you know what? Rightfully so. Their time has come and gone and the financial cost of those players came nowhere near their productivity.

The Colts have a dire need for a QB and cannot pass on Luck. They have to take him. The Skins trade does not impact that.

Dude - get your head out of the sand. Those guys are long-gone.

We practicly have the same team, and it is probably better than the roster we had in 2010 when we went 10-6 and made the playoffs. We had a very good draft in 2011 which brought in talented players like Anthony Castonzo, Ben Ijalana, and Drake Nevis, with good players in Delone Carter and Chris Rucker as well.

None of which were on the superbowl team my post was refering to. Our superbowl team is drastically different than our current team.