Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Value to the NFL

MikeCurtis

3 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

That comp pick has nothing to do with what his salary is now, it’s a combo of new contract, playing time and post awards.  We will assume if he goes to another team as an FA in 2020, he will get a new contract and that’s what the pick will get based from. 

so are we likely to get a third or better from him or not?  i actually have no idea

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The issue is there is going to be a weak spot anyway when he becomes a FA. What would you rather have, a solid backup veteran for a year and a 2nd rounder, or Brissett for one year and probably a 6th or 7th round compensatory pick? Either way, if Luck goes down, we don't win the SB. 

Who is the unnamed 'solidi veteran backup'

Not knowing the name, I'd rather have Brissett for one more year and a compensatory pick...

The eagles won the Super Bowl with the backup QB playing 5 or 6 games

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't believe Brissett can win us the SB in 2019

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

if Luck goes down, we don't win the SB. 

See, this is what I'm talking about.  You would have said the same thing about Foles, and you would have been WRONG.  (Along with most fans, including lots of Eagles fans)

But my point is this:  YOU DON'T KNOW!  Nobody does.  It's equally ridiculous to say Brissett could win a SB if Luck goes down.

I'm not saying Brissett could or couldn't, but after watching what Foles did (which was unbelievable), how can YOU say one way or another what Brissett could or couldn't do if Luck goes down when he has THIS OLine to play behind?

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Does anyone think there is an NFL team that would trade their No. 2 pick for Jacoby Brissett?

possibly, i think a third is very much on the table, thats where JB was originally drafted too

i would be interested if i were the bucs, jags or giants

Is Brissett the right backup QB for Reich's system?  To me, he would seem to be a better fit with Chud.  

If they can get anything for him, I'm guessing they will trade him, then develop another backup who is a better fit for the system.  I highly doubt you get a #2 for him, though.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

See, this is what I'm talking about.  You would have said the same thing about Foles, and you would have been WRONG.  (Along with most fans, including lots of Eagles fans)

But my point is this:  YOU DON'T KNOW!  Nobody does.  It's equally ridiculous to say Brissett could win a SB if Luck goes down.

I'm not saying Brissett could or couldn't, but after watching what Foles did (which was unbelievable), how can YOU say one way or another what Brissett could or couldn't do if Luck goes down when he has THIS OLine to play behind?

I don't even think Luck can beat the Chiefs, Pats, Rams or Saints with this defense. Even if it improves, I don't think so. So I definitely don't think Brissett can do it. You are basically hanging on a 1% chance. I can prove it's a 1% chance, but I can't disprove we won't win the SB 100% with Brissett. However, I'm taking a 2nd rounder that will help this team over a possibility that Luck gets hurt and Brissett can put up 40+ against 3 of the best teams in the NFL to win us a SB. If Luck goes down, too bad for us. The difference between Luck and Brissett is huge. The difference between Brissett and a Veteran backup is not.

That's what I was thinking. If we get a compensatory 3rd rounder, it might be worth keeping him. Otherwise, I trade him for a 2nd or 3rd, whichever we can get.

I assume that he would sign a multi-year deal with someone for the 2020 season..

….he would want to go to a place where he'd start...or have a chance to

We'd then get a pick based on how well he did....like everybody else here has said  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't even think Luck can beat the Chiefs, Pats, Rams or Saints with this defense. Even if it improves, I don't think so. So I definitely don't think Brissett can do it. You are basically hanging on a 1% chance. I can prove it's a 1% chance, but I can't disprove we won't win the SB 100% with Brissett. However, I'm taking a 2nd rounder that will help this team over a possibility that Luck gets hurt and Brissett can put up 40+ against 3 of the best teams in the NFL to win us a SB. If Luck goes down, too bad for us. The difference between Luck and Brissett is huge. The difference between Brissett and a Veteran backup is not.

we would get torched by those teams, it already happened with the patriots.  the only way to beat them is in a shootout 

• Like 1

None of those teams is giving up a No. 2 pick to get JB,

They all have vet QBs...

Why would they do that???

Bortles will probably get released. Keenum has one year left on his contract, and the Broncos can re-sign Brissett, and Eli is 100% done after this year, and the Giants can use Brissett as their new QB.

There is no team that would us a 2nd round pick for JB...when they can wait a year and get him for the cash money it costs..

Everybody doesn't love him like we do...

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

There is no team that would us a 2nd round pick for JB...when they can wait a year and get him for the cash money it costs..

Everybody doesn't love him like we do...

Some teams and GM's don't have a year. They have to make a move this offseason. The draft doesn't offer much. FA usually doesn't either. Options are limited this year. A desperate GM that doesn't want to reach in the first round of the draft may take a chance on a somewhat proven commodity like Brissett in the 2nd. If that team needs a QB, Brissett will re-sign with that team as well. It won't be a one-year rental.

You are basically hanging on a 1% chance. I can prove it's a 1% chance, but I can't disprove we won't win the SB 100% with Brissett.

What in tarnation... ?!?

First of all, I'm not hanging on anything.  I haven't given an opinion either way because this whole conversation is premature and ridiculous.  Ballard gonna do what Ballard gonna do and our opinions mean jack-squat.

Second, please prove this weird 1% argument that you're making, because you lost me...

Bortles will probably get released. Keenum has one year left on his contract, and the Broncos can re-sign Brissett, and Eli is 100% done after this year, and the Giants can use Brissett as their new QB.

Bortles just signed a multi-year deal.  They are NOT releasing him.

Why would Denver and NYG would not simply sign a QB in the 2nd round at rookie pay and sit him behind Keenum and Eli  in 2019???

• Like 1

Some teams and GM's don't have a year. They have to make a move this offseason. The draft doesn't offer much. FA usually doesn't either. Options are limited this year. A desperate GM that doesn't want to reach in the first round of the draft may take a chance on a somewhat proven commodity like Brissett in the 2nd. If that team needs a QB, Brissett will re-sign with that team as well. It won't be a one-year rental.

Any GM that gives us a 2nd round pick for JB  (when he could walk in 12 months) doesnt have a year

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

What in tarnation... ?!?

First of all, I'm not hanging on anything.  I haven't given an opinion either way because this whole conversation is premature and ridiculous.  Ballard gonna do what Ballard gonna do and our opinions mean jack-squat.

Second, please prove this weird 1% argument that you're making, because you lost me...

There is a 1% chance that we keep Brissett, we make the playoffs, Luck is hurt during the playoffs and SB when they happen, and Brissett carries us to wins over the Chiefs, Pats, and Rams or Saints in the SB. The Browns could win the SB as well, but there's a 1% chance it happens. You're trying to convince me of something that is incredibly unlikely, when getting a high draft pick is a much better solution based on a two year sample size and very likely to happen.

Bortles just signed a multi-year deal.  They are NOT releasing him.

Why would Denver and NYG would not simply sign a QB in the 2nd round at rookie pay and sit him behind Keenum and Eli  in 2019???

Brissett would not sit behind Keenum and Eli, they are garbage. Eli will probably retire after this year.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Any GM that gives us a 2nd round pick for JB  (when he could walk in 12 months) doesnt have a year

they would probably want to sign him first if they traded a second.  his stock might have been higher last year, but we still needed him then 

Just now, oldunclemark said:

True

Jameis Winston could also very much be available ….

i mentioned the bucs already.  JB and jamies are very similar on the field, but brissett is a great guy off the field too.  i would be interested if i were them

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Brissett would not sit behind Keenum and Eli, they are garbage. Eli will probably retire after this year.

Denver still like Case...… Jacoby Brissett would not start ahead of him.

..and if Eli does not retire ( I hadnt heard that news) then JB would be the backup

I'd be interested. too..

In 2020, when JB is a free agent and Winston's contract is up..

they could of course do that, but would risk him going elsewhere.  im not sure anyone really wants to go all in with JB, but that could be said about their current QBs too

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You're trying to convince me of something that is incredibly unlikely

OMG dude.  I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

You're the one trying to convince everyone that your opinion is the right one.  I'm just trying to point that out to you.

You are being ridiculous.  You aren't right.  You're just opinionated and very defensive of your opinions.  You live in your own world of certainty when the real world is incredibly uncertain.

Denver still like Case...… Jacoby Brissett would not start ahead of him.

..and if Eli does not retire ( I hadnt heard that news) then JB would be the backup

It's not news, his play his just declined so much that he is a burden to the team now. I'm pretty sure the Giants will get a QB this year to replace him. Case has one year left on his contract and the Broncos need a QB. Brissett would definitely start over him as the Broncos passing game is awful.

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

"Premium picks"... How many times did we hear that term out of Ballard's mouth this offseason? You only get so many shots (sometime just one) at a premium pick, especially when you have your franchise qb in place. I'd very much be in favor of packaging Brissett with our first (possibly even a 2nd, depending how far down we move in the 1st) to move up into a premium pick this next draft. There are so many stud defensive lineman for the taking, and we are looking at taking the bottom of those 1st round defensive lineman, if we continue winning like we should.

Get the value while it's there. I will be somewhat disappointed if CB doesn't pull a big time draft trade like he did this year with the Jets.

Agree. I want premium talent as well...a franchise player. Can't expect to continue to always get a premium player drafting later...or in the 2nd round.

I would love to use Brissett or one of those 2nd round picks to move up if a certain player falls within range (someone like Ferrell or Gary because I don't think Bosa or Oliver are realistic). The beauty of it is that even IF the Colts had to trade one of those 2nd round picks...they can use Brissett to get back a Day Two pick. But packaging him might do just it. Either way...the Colts are basically back to where they started pickwise. That's how I think of Brissett right now...a valuable Day Two pick.

The Colts can move up AND still get a DE/DT, WR and CB before the end of the 2nd round.

I also wouldn't discount trading for a great player nearing the end of his rookie deal...or a great player currently under a big contract. Lots of ways to leverage that cap space.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

they could of course do that, but would risk him going elsewhere.  im not sure anyone really wants to go all in with JB, but that could be said about their current QBs too

JB is not so great you cant risk him going elsewhere...

Losing teams don't trade a No,2 pick for a backup QB

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But nobody's  trading a 1st or 2nd rounder for Jacoby Brissett...to be a backup

Its just not happening..

im not arguing that.  the situation is strange in tampa he could win the job there

i believe they were in the same draft class, and JB was seen as the poor mans version of winston.  now that some time has passed im not sure that JW is any better and they are tired of his off the field crap

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

OMG dude.  I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

You're the one trying to convince everyone that your opinion is the right one.  I'm just trying to point that out to you.

You are being ridiculous.  You aren't right.  You're just opinionated and very defensive of your opinions.  You live in your own world of certainty when the real world is incredibly uncertain.

You pointed out something that is a 1% chance. That's not a reason to keep Brissett and sacrifice a high draft pick. You play the percentages as a GM and this one is overwhelming. Ballard knows what I know. The only way Brissett won't get traded is if his trade value is incredibly low in the offseason. The world is incredibly uncertain, but you never should get swayed by 1% chances in football, if that 1% happens, it happens. If something is 99% certain, you make your decision based on that. 

You pointed out something that is a 1% chance. That's not a reason to keep Brissett and sacrifice a high draft pick. You play the percentages as a GM and this one is overwhelming. Ballard knows what I know. The only way Brissett won't get traded is if his trade value is incredibly low in the offseason. The world is incredibly uncertain, but you never should get swayed by 1% chances in football, if that 1% happens, it happens. If something is 99% certain, you make your decision based on that. 

ok, so what is the % chance that we get a "high" draft pick for Brissett?

Because I'm 99% sure that you DON'T KNOW.

Do me a favor.  Go put Brissett on the trading block in Madden and tell me what you get for him.

46 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The only thing I've asked for is where is the link to the report. Not, the Ben Volin report! That has been proven false via Jason La Canfora. And once again, as I stated if you read the entire article, it made absolutely no sense Seattle was trading a 2nd for Brissett. Not to mention La Canfora's article didn't state, like I did, Seattle didn't have a 2nd Rd pick. So who offered a 2nd for JB????

Simple question

The Volin report has not been proved false just because LaCanfora has a contradictory report.  It's one reporter contradicting another.  Both have their sources.  Happens all the time.  You want to discount the Volin report because you don't agree with it and you want to believe LaCanfora no problem.  But the report is still a report.  Getting Brisett to back up Wilson makes perfect sense.  Wilson gets hit and sacked a lot.  He also runs a lot.  So far he has avoided anything serious but he certainly is at a higher risk for injury compared to most QB's in the league.   I can see them trying to get Brisett.