Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Value to the NFL

MikeCurtis

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

It was confirmed that Seattle did not inquire about Brissett for a 2nd and made zero sense anyways with R.Wilson under contract until 2020.

So, who was the team that offered a 2nd for Brissett?

With a healthy Luck at the trade deadline, then why wasn't he traded for a 2nd at the deadline????

The only conflicting report is who was the team that offered a 2nd!

Link

You seem like an intelligent poster

You may be right, or you may be wrong on this topic

Who knows if ANYONE did or didnt contact the Colts (I dont)

There are NFL teams that LIE to the media.... Im sure it happens constantly

It will all pan out..........

All of us share a common passion........  

Go Colts

10 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I say keep him.  Reich was a long time backup for the Bills and I’m sure he appreciates what a good backup provides. He sure as heck came in and won for the Bills.  Polian who was their GM believes he lost his Colts position because he didn’t secure a quality backup.

Heck polian secured the best backup QB in the world, who ended up being a starter by default after tanking an entire season with a crappy fielded team and a burger flipping, surfer dude throwing the rock that year. It was all good, Polian rocked it that last season lol

6 hours ago, MPStack said:

A team has everything to lose and nothing to gain by admitting they either tried to trade or tried to trade for a player that didn't work out .Did it happen? I have no idea.

Personally, I think Brissett is a better quarterback than a lot of starters presently in the NFL and better than any college QB coming into the league this year. I will not be a bit surprised if we were to get a 2 for him. Someone mentioned if Garapolo only was worth a 2 Brissett wouldn't be. I think Brissett has proven himself more up to this point than Jimmy did before he was traded. Is Brissett better? Only time will tell. Jacoby is a year younger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, aaron11 said:

thats not confirmed at all, its just people denying it 

Seattle didn't even have a 2nd Rd pick and Seattle has a franchise QB in R.Wilson locked up for 2 more years.... Think about it closely and see if that trade would have made sense. The link, I provided basically breaks that down, but no one has provided a confirmed link who the mystery team is, just a Pats link (not confirmed) about Seattle.

Like, I said, if Brissett was a hot commodity he'd probably been traded at the deadline with more than a year left on his contract.

The folks who are convinced a 2nd was offered for JB, seem to be the optimistic group who think the Colts are going to get a 1st or 2nd for him. I don't and prefer he stay right where he is. If, he signs elsewhere in 2020, good for him.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Seattle didn't even have a 2nd Rd pick and Seattle has a franchise QB in R.Wilson locked up for 2 more years.... Think about it closely and see if that trade would have made sense. The link, I provided basically breaks that down, but no one has provided a confirmed link who the mystery team is, just a Pats link (not confirmed) about Seattle.

Like, I said, if Brissett was a hot commodity he'd probably been traded at the deadline with more than a year left on his contract.

The folks who are convinced a 2nd was offered for JB, seem to be the optimistic group who think the Colts are going to get a 1st or 2nd for him. I don't and prefer he stay right where he is. If, he signs elsewhere in 2020, good for him.

remember he was originally drafted in the third i dont think his value has gone down.  i would move him for a third or better, if we cant extend him

it was important to hang onto him last year until we saw luck play. i think the colts would have set an i dont want to sell him price, which would turn away others from making an official offer

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If we can’t get at least a second rounder or even possibly a 2020 draft year 1st, I’d rather keep him to secure our backup spot and look for a comp pick if someone inks him to a nice contract. Happens all the time. What was the kid who played in greenbay and then signed a ridiculous contract with Seattle or someone out west? We hold the leverage on this trade if we would want to move him. 

That sounds good, but.....

What would you pay him? Why would he stay?

You cant hold on to him without his consent

You would be saying..... "please take a backup role"

This may be his opportunity to start...... and make starter money.....  not backup money 

The tools that the owners use, (tag and franchise) to keep a player really arent applicable

This guy is GONE

The comp pick for a lost FA may not be that beneficial as well....... what if he goes to a team that has an QB that will retire in a year?

He may get little playing time, on those teams in 2019, but take over in 2020........ The Colts would get NADA in those cases

I think the good teams with aging QBs, may be first in line to get a player like Brissett........

Better to stay in control of the transition with a trade.

As mentioned before, he could be PART of a trade for picks on draft day

There are 3-4 UT players that could make a HUGE difference on this team.

We are getting better, and my fear is that we will lose out on one of these players at our pick...... Brissett may be used with other pick(s) to get us back into the range to get one of these guys.......

We will see...... Pan thing. (It will ALL Pan out!)

We will all be Colts fan tomorrow!

• Like 1

Brissett is probably worth a 2nd rounder to a QB needy team. It only takes one team to offer to get the deal done. My questions to anyone who wants to keep Brissett next year is this: 1.) Will he re-sign with us to be Luck's backup? More than likely, he wants to be a starter and the answer is no. 2.) If Luck goes down during the season next year, can Brissett win the SB for us like Foles did for the Eagles? This seems like an unfair expectation for Brissett to have to do, but if we are only keeping him for the remainder of 2019 and not re-signing him, then the only way you can justify keeping him for that year and not trading him is if you think he can win the SB if needed. IMO, I don't even think Luck can win the SB with the defense and WR's the way they are currently, so Brissett would have trouble doing it, and it's more beneficial getting a 2nd round pick where we could draft someone like Leonard, Smith or Turay like last year.

• Like 2

One play folks....one slip of a lineman.

I am surprised at how quickly fans have forgotten what happens to your team when you dont have an adequate backup at QB. Not a great QB, just adequate. After what...600 days since that nightmare happened....there is a want to trade our security QB for a pick?

Jacoby will get his shot when his contract runs out. He deserves it. And the Colts deserve that security for the entire next season. Perhaps we draft a developmental QB late to fill his role, or find a FA and get lucky again. With a year under their belt, they will be hard pressed to fill  the role Jacoby has, but at least a year is better than being green. 

Ya'll entitled to your opinion, and I respectfully disagree with the notion of trading away the last year of his contract. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

remember he was originally drafted in the third i dont think his value has gone down.  i would move him for a third or better, if we cant extend him

it was important to hang onto him last year until we saw luck play. i think the colts would have set an i dont want to sell him price, which would turn away others from making an official offer

Completely agree, he was needed last year and played well all things considering. I have no issues with the Colts trading him, if there's a market for him.

My only arguments are that I don't believe he's going to fetch a 1st or 2nd Rd pick. And nobody has confirmed such a trade offer was made for that supposed-ed 2nd. You would think if Brissett was starter material, he'd been on the market at the trade deadline with over a year left on his contract.

Just my two cents, but the trade JB has been beat to death!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I am surprised at how quickly fans have forgotten what happens to your team when you dont have an adequate backup at QB. Not a great QB, just adequate. After what...600 days since that nightmare happened....there is a want to trade our security QB for a pick?

Jacoby will get his shot when his contract runs out. He deserves it. And the Colts deserve that security for the entire next season. Perhaps we draft a developmental QB late to fill his role, or find a FA and get lucky again. With a year under their belt, they will be hard pressed to fill  the role Jacoby has, but at least a year is better than being green. 

Ya'll entitled to your opinion, and I respectfully disagree with the notion of trading away the last year of his contract. 

we do need a backup, but JBs days here are numbered

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I'm kind of an all or nothing guy in this particular situation. With Luck, we have a chance at a SB next year if things fall right with the draft and FA and our last couple draft classes continue to improve. With Brissett, we do not. IMO, the only way we should keep Brissett if he can win the SB next year if Luck goes down. The odds of that are slim to none. I don't care if we trade Brissett, Luck goes down, and we lose every other game. We weren't winning the SB anyway with Brissett, and that's the ultimate goal. If we get a 2nd round pick, I trust Ballard to hit on that pick. He did with Leonard, Smith, Turay, and it looks good for Wilson now. A backup Veteran, like we had with Hasselback, is fine. IMO, we need to trade him, and go forward with Luck to give ourselves the best chance to win the SB. A 2nd rounder in this particular 2019 draft can get us a great defensive player, Brissett can't win us the SB.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

That sounds good, but.....

What would you pay him? Why would he stay?

You cant hold on to him without his consent

You would be saying..... "please take a backup role"

This may be his opportunity to start...... and make starter money.....  not backup money 

The tools that the owners use, (tag and franchise) to keep a player really arent applicable

This guy is GONE

The comp pick for a lost FA may not be that beneficial as well....... what if he goes to a team that has an QB that will retire in a year?

He may get little playing time, on those teams in 2019, but take over in 2020........ The Colts would get NADA in those cases

I think the good teams with aging QBs, may be first in line to get a player like Brissett........

Better to stay in control of the transition with a trade.

As mentioned before, he could be PART of a trade for picks on draft day

There are 3-4 UT players that could make a HUGE difference on this team.

We are getting better, and my fear is that we will lose out on one of these players at our pick...... Brissett may be used with other pick(s) to get us back into the range to get one of these guys.......

We will see...... Pan thing. (It will ALL Pan out!)

We will all be Colts fan tomorrow!

From my post or belief, we would never tag him with anything as even the transition tag is worth a top 10 qualifying cost and for a backup, that’s not in a teams picture, nor is it the Colts plan IMHO. So when I said we keep him, I mean through his current contract only. 

I also agree, highly doubt he takes a backup role after this contract unless some odd scenario were to crop up. 

As for the just wait wait it out and take the comp pick after the 2019 season, I think he could net a 3rd for us while getting another year of piece of mind at backup QB for this team. I don’t see much downside here by just keeping the insurance policy if nobody wants to give up a 2nd at minimum. 

As for trading him, I like the idea of using our first plus adding Brissett to moving up into the top 10ish area of the draft. It works for both teams imo. They get what they believe is a 10 yr starter at qb, they also don’t lose any draft picks to acquire their starter (and that team has to fully believe this will be their franchise guy for next 10 years), all they do is move down in the first round and get a starting nfl ready qb for say 10-15 spots, while maintaining all 7 rounds of picks. We get to move up and pick around top 10 for our defensive starter (hopefully). I think this would be the best option for us to employ imho. If we go crazy and play in the SB or something and pick 31-32, well, that trade up cost will have to be adjusted or spot in the draft be targeted in the 15-20 range now without giving other concessions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

As for trading him, I like the idea of using our first plus adding Brissett to moving up into the top 10ish area of the draft. It works for both teams imo. They get what they believe is a 10 yr starter at qb, they also don’t lose any draft picks to acquire their starter (and that team has to fully believe this will be their franchise guy for next 10 years), all they do is move down in the first round and get a starting nfl ready qb for say 10-15 spots, while maintaining all 7 rounds of picks. We get to move up and pick around top 10 for our defensive starter (hopefully). I think this would be the best option for us to employ imho. If we go crazy and play in the SB or something and pick 31-32, well, that trade up cost will have to be adjusted or spot in the draft be targeted in the 15-20 range now without giving other concessions. 

I can see a trade happening like this (we may not get down to top 10, but maybe from 20ish to 15)

One of the difference makers at UT MAY be there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You would have said the same thing about Nick Foles.

Probably, but with Hindsight, the Eagles had a much better defense. I don't think Brissett can score 30+ a game, and he'd have to put up 40+ Vs the Chiefs, Pats, Rams and Saints. Don't buy that it would happen. Not even sure Luck can do that at this time. I'll take that 2nd round pick 100% of the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Probably, but with Hindsight, the Eagles had a much better defense. I don't think Brissett can score 30+ a game, and he'd have to put up 40+ Vs the Chiefs, Pats, Rams and Saints. Don't buy that it would happen. Not even sure Luck can do that at this time. I'll take that 2nd round pick 100% of the time.

Who's to say the Colts defense won't be that good next year?  Brissett might not have to score 30-40+, but who's to say he couldn't behind this improved OLine with improved play-calling?

You would have traded Foles and missed out on a SB.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Completely agree, he was needed last year and played well all things considering. I have no issues with the Colts trading him, if there's a market for him.

My only arguments are that I don't believe he's going to fetch a 1st or 2nd Rd pick. And nobody has confirmed such a trade offer was made for that supposed-ed 2nd. You would think if Brissett was starter material, he'd been on the market at the trade deadline with over a year left on his contract.

Just my two cents, but the trade JB has been beat to death!

It was reported that an offer was made.  Nothing more nothing less.  That's all we ever said.  And to be honest I would expect teams to deny reports if they were rebuffed in a trade offer.  Really nothing to gain by admitting to it except controversy and generating more questions. 

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Who's to say the Colts defense won't be that good next year?  Brissett might not have to score 30-40+, but who's to say he couldn't behind this improved OLine with improved play-calling?

You're trying to convince me of a 1% chance here. It's not happening. Not only would the defense have to improve heavily over one year, Luck would have to specifically be hurt for the playoffs, and we'd have to beat probably both of the Chiefs, Pats, and one of the Saints or Rams to win the SB. All of that won't happen. I'm taking the 2nd round pick I trust Ballard to hit on and signing a Veteran backup.

To answer your 2nd question. Foles had no value until he won the SB. He was an average backup that showed less than Brissett at the time when he replaced Luck for a year. He had no market then and no value. So it would of been impossible to get anything for him at that point.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Brissetts replacement could also lead us to a SB.  We have no idea who that would be. 

• Like 1

Don’t underestimate the QB class though. Herbert might come out and if not him, then Daniel Jones is a name starting to make waves. I think Haskins returns to school but he’s being overhyped anyways. But even if just two decent QBs come out, it drives the value for Brisset down. As it stands he’s worth a 3 at the most, maybe a two.

The problem is that one of the teams who’d be interested is the Jaguars. I wouldn’t trade him to a division rival. The other teams with QB needs are the Giants and Dolphins. The Jags have to draft a QB, and you assume the Giants will take Herbert. That leaves the Dolphins as the most likely team interested. But then you have to consider his value among the upcoming FA QBs. Bridgewater is also young.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

The problem is that one of the teams who’d be interested is the Jaguars. 

that is indeed an issue.  i would consider trading him there, but i would want more from them

he could walk from us and sign there anyway, might as well get something out of it imo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You're trying to convince me of a 1% chance here. It's not happening. Not only would the defense have to improve heavily over one year, Luck would have to specifically be hurt for the playoffs, and we'd have to beat probably both of the Chiefs, Pats, and one of the Saints or Rams to win the SB. All of that won't happen. I'm taking the 2nd round pick I trust Ballard to hit on and signing a Veteran backup.

To answer your 2nd question. Foles had no value until he won the SB. He was an average backup that showed less than Brissett at the time when he replaced Luck for a year. He had no market then and no value. So it would of been impossible to get anything for him at that point.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Brissetts replacement could also lead us to a SB.  We have no idea who that would be. 

k.

I'm just pointing out the unpredictability of the NFL, as evidenced last year with Wentz and Foles.

But you guys apparently know everything... carry on.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It was reported that an offer was made.  Nothing more nothing less. 

The only thing I've asked for is where is the link to the report. Not, the Ben Volin report! That has been proven false via Jason La Canfora. And once again, as I stated if you read the entire article, it made absolutely no sense Seattle was trading a 2nd for Brissett. Not to mention La Canfora's article didn't state, like I did, Seattle didn't have a 2nd Rd pick. So who offered a 2nd for JB????

Simple question

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Don’t underestimate the QB class though. Herbert might come out and if not him, then Daniel Jones is a name starting to make waves. I think Haskins returns to school but he’s being overhyped anyways. But even if just two decent QBs come out, it drives the value for Brisset down. As it stands he’s worth a 3 at the most, maybe a two.

The problem is that one of the teams who’d be interested is the Jaguars. I wouldn’t trade him to a division rival. The other teams with QB needs are the Giants and Dolphins. The Jags have to draft a QB, and you assume the Giants will take Herbert. That leaves the Dolphins as the most likely team interested. But then you have to consider his value among the upcoming FA QBs. Bridgewater is also young.

I would definitely trade Brissett to the Jags. Jags are in a limited window, Brissett is probably a slight upgrade over Bortles and that's it, and they will have a high pick in the 2nd round next year. When they have to let some of their defense go, Brissett would be no match for Andrew Luck.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I think Colts fans may be overvaluing Brissett a bit.   He may be worth a 3rd round pick to some teams.    Having a decent backup QB through 2019 may be worth more than a 3rd round pick to the Colts.  

It's precisely what SOME Colts fans are doing!

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I trust Ballard

You've stated this a few times now.

If Ballard won't let Brissett go for anything less than a 1st because he values him that much, (meaning we're keeping Brissett because no team is giving us their 1st for Brissett), do you still trust Ballard even though he didn't do what you wanted him to do?

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

You know that if he goes as a free agent, we get a pick

im not an expert on comp picks, but his salary is less than a million

i dont think we would get much when he leaves, but i would be interested to hear from someone that knows the system better than me

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think we would get much when he leaves, but i would be interested to hear from someone that knows the system better than me

Its a complex equation, much based on playing time

If he leaves to be a successor, and rides the pine for a year..... we get NADA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

I'm all for keeping and not certain there is even a market to trade him for a Pot of Gold (1st or 2nd Rd) on the other side of the rainbow.

Agreed...I'm not against drafting a QB somewhere in the 2019 draft but we have an experienced low-cost backup for 2019...in JB

Let's not create a weak spot on the roster where there isn't one...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You've stated this a few times now.

If Ballard won't let Brissett go for anything less than a 1st because he values him that much, (meaning we're keeping Brissett because no team is giving us their 1st for Brissett), do you still trust Ballard even though he didn't do what you wanted him to do?

I said I trust Ballard in the draft and to take a 2nd rounder that would hit, should we get a 2nd rounder for Brissett. If Ballard decides to keep Brissett for 2019, I think he made the wrong decision, because I don't believe Brissett can win us the SB in 2019, and that's the only reason to keep him that year, if Luck goes down and Brissett can take over from there and win it for us.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

That comp pick has nothing to do with what his salary is now, it’s a combo of new contract, playing time and post awards.  We will assume if he goes to another team as an FA in 2020, he will get a new contract and that’s what the pick will get based from. 

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Agreed...I'm not against drafting a QB somewhere in the 2019 draft but we have an experienced low-cost backup for 2019...in JB

Let's not create a weak spot on the roster where there isn't one...

The issue is there is going to be a weak spot anyway when he becomes a FA. What would you rather have, a solid backup veteran for a year and a 2nd rounder, or Brissett for one year and probably a 6th or 7th round compensatory pick? Either way, if Luck goes down, we don't win the SB. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

That comp pick has nothing to do with what his salary is now, it’s a combo of new contract, playing time and post awards.  We will assume if he goes to another team as an FA in 2020, he will get a new contract and that’s what the pick will get based from. 

If this true, and we get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him, I wouldn't be objected to keeping him for 2019. Only way though. Anything less and I trade him.