Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Le'Veon Bell

TigerColt

"The Pittsburgh Steelers remain very open to trading running back Le'Veon Bell ahead of Tuesday's deadline, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports.  This despite some reports to the contrary. Owner Art Rooney's comments to NFL Media last week that he "expects" Bell to be on their roster were not a reflection of any change in the running back's availability and, in full context, were more a reflection of the lack of inquiries on Bell at that point.

Rooney gave his front office authority to execute a trade of the All Pro and that remains the case. At the time Rooney spoke briefly to NFL Media at the recent owner's meetings, his sentiment about not expecting a trade were based only on the fact that other teams had not made recent inquires, though historically trades of this magnitude are not completed until much closer to the deadline itself.

it's been assumed by many within the Steelers organization that Bell would not sign his franchise tag until after Tuesday's trade deadline. The team is still hopeful of finding a suitor for him and landing a third-round pick or better, sources said, though Bell would have to facilitate that by being willing to sign the franchise tender for that new team prior to 4 p.m. ET Tuesday."

I would trade a third for him.  That is all.

Joseph

J. Connor's play has really taken some of Bell's leverage away for the money he seeks. I still think he sticks with the Steelers though, unless his pride gets in the way. At this point, I see no reason to make a trade for Bell, due to the Colts current successful run game.

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

J. Connor's play has really taken some of Bell's leverage away for the money he seeks. I still think he sticks with the Steelers though, unless his pride gets in the way. At this point, I see no reason to make a trade for Bell, due to the Colts current successful run game.

Maybe the Colts would be interested in Connor? 

We are running better now than in the past so IMO I think we keep our picks and continue to build.

• Like 1

Bell will sign at 4:01 pm ET 10/30/2018. Thus no trade.

What happens then is more fanfare.

"The Pittsburgh Steelers and representatives for Le'Veon Bell have had discussions about giving the Pro Bowl running back a roster exemption. 

Per Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, the two sides met last week to discuss terms of Bell's two-week roster exemption that must be agreed upon before he can return to the team. 

One potential sticking point noted by Glazer is the Steelers don't want to pay Bell during the exemption period.

If Bell agrees to a two-week roster exemption, he will be eligible to practice with the Steelers but wouldn't be allowed to play in Week 8 against the Cleveland Browns and Week 9 against the Baltimore Ravens. "

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2802050-leveon-bells-agent-steelers-reportedly-discussed-roster-exemption

Then when he does play, will he split time with Conner?  And if they make the playoffs, does he sit again?  So much potential for drama...

Just saw this...

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/steelers-unable-trade-leveon-bell

So, whenever he does decide to show up, if I'm the Steelers, I let him stand on the sideline and watch Conner run the ball.  But, I'm not the Steelers, so I'm sure he'll get playing time, but maybe not as much as he would have without Conner's success this year.

There will be lots of headlines out of Pittsburgh the rest of the season about this situation.

Bell is not on any NFL team. (As of this post). He can’t be traded because he is a Free agent.  Period, that is why Steelers haven’t already sent him on his way.

He will show and sign at any time after 35 minutes from my post.  He will sign his Franchise tender and his 2 week roster exemption and practice, but not play in the next 2 games. (At a reduced salary too)

After this, he will get his 8.45 million per game, whether he plays or not (which saves more wear and tear).  And get his 6 games in for an accrued season. 

At one time I thought after all of the above, the Steelers might transition tag him for next year, but now I think that ship has sailed too.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:17 AM, RollerColt said:

The deadline to sign the tender is November 13th. Looks more and more likely that he continues to hold out.

I think Bell isn't playing in 2018. 

If he doesn’t play, there are ramifications.  First, he doesn’t get an accrued season and thus can be franchise tagged again by the Steelers without a huge increase in the pay.  So he needs to be on the roster 6 games.  Next is he doesn’t have tape to show he ‘still has it’ and worth what he will demand.

Finally, he loses all 14.5 million from the tag (added to all of his preseason fines/losses).

I believe any signing delay is due to contract negotiations for Roster Exempt pay amount, and activation timeline.  From the CBA-

“After the final roster reduction a Club must agree in writing with an unsigned player who is either an Unrestricted Free Agent, Transition Player, or Franchise Player, prior to signing a Player Contract with such player, on what compensation, if any, the player will be paid if he is placed in a roster exempt status."

I believe he can ( and will be ) be placed on roster exempt status (thus can practice but not play, nor is he counted on the 53 man roster) for up to 2 weeks.  I think the Steelers will appeal to the NFL Bell was out too long to be in ‘football’ shape (not necessarily conditioning shape)  and thus the need for the exemption.

From my perspective (which could be wrong). Bell needs to sign on or before 11/9/18 (not perfectly sure yet) and thus will then have to be activated on the 53 man roster by 11/24 for the November 25 game at Denver vs. the Broncos in order to get his 6 games and accrued season.

The next chapter, if Steelers are in playoffs...  will he even play or sit out?  :\

44 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The Steelers know that they will get a 2ND round pick as compensation when he signs with another team, that;s why he'll be welcomed back and why they didn't give him away or cut him. 

I don’t think the NFL gives round 2 comp picks.  I think teams are awarded compensatory draft picks in Rounds 3-7, and it is based upon a formula, which is not released by the league, but takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count, and postseason awards, among other secret items.

Since Bell is not under contract, (even now as of this post), the Steelers only option was to cut him - or wait it out. No other option is available to them.  None. Bell is supposedly an excellent chess player, thus he has planned and seen many moves in advance in how this will play out.

I think it is crazy he hasn't reported yet. There is literally NO REASON to not have reported yesterday and signed your tender to get a game check. Even if they plan on using the 2 week exemption so they don't have to pay him, he would still get 6 paychecks.  The longer he waits to report, the fewer paychecks he gets no matter what. There is nothing to gain at this point for him, to even wait until week 11 is ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I think it is crazy he hasn't reported yet. There is literally NO REASON to not have reported yesterday and signed your tender to get a game check. Even if they plan on using the 2 week exemption so they don't have to pay him, he would still get 6 paychecks.  The longer he waits to report, the fewer paychecks he gets no matter what. There is nothing to gain at this point for him, to even wait until week 11 is ridiculous.

He is saving wear and tear on his body.   As long as he is active on the 53 man roster by November 24 (thus on 53 man roster for the Steelers / Broncos game on 11/25) he will get 6 game checks and an accrued season and completion of Franchise Tag #2 by the end of the year.  That means he needs to sign his tender by November 10, if my understanding and math is correct.  Thus he can miss the upcoming Baltimore, Carolina, and Jacksonville games, and still get what he wants... minimal wear and tear and the accrued season status, and a nearly guaranteed UFA status.

He has to sign the tender at the right time (early enough) that he must be activated on 11/24 for November 25 even if Steelers use the Roster exempt status (2 weeks max?)

He is smart, knows what he wants, and stubborn about getting it.  The Steelers won't rescind the tag either.

29 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

He doesn't want to be there anymore and this really shows it. 

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He is saving wear and tear on his body.   As long as he is active on the 53 man roster by November 24 (thus on 53 man roster for the Steelers / Broncos game on 11/25) he will get 6 game checks and an accrued season and completion of Franchise Tag #2 by the end of the year.  That means he needs to sign his tender by November 10, if my understanding and math is correct.  Thus he can miss the upcoming Baltimore, Carolina, and Jacksonville games, and still get what he wants... minimal wear and tear and the accrued season status, and a nearly guaranteed UFA status.

He has to sign the tender at the right time (early enough) that he must be activated on 11/24 for November 25 even if Steelers use the Roster exempt status (2 weeks max?)

He is smart, knows what he wants, and stubborn about getting it.  The Steelers won't rescind the tag either.

He may be saving wear and tear, but other teams won't want to sign a player who hasn't played in over a year. He also won't get 6 game checks because the steelers will use the two week roster exemption to not pay him for two weeks. He will have signed his tender but they don't necessarily have to pay him. The Steelers have all the power, he has none. So he is taking away from his resume to earn that big contract he wants next year. He'll get 4 paychecks and play hardly any snaps because Conner will take most of them. Nobody will want, or should, give him the Gurley sized contract he wants.

12 hours ago, Narcosys said:

He also won't get 6 game checks because the steelers will use the two week roster exemption to not pay him for two weeks. He will have signed his tender but they don't necessarily have to pay him. The Steelers have all the power, he has none.

Ummm, no... you know... the Steelers still have 9 more games left in their season.  Bell still has time to sign and also exhaust a roster exemption period.  I've calculated it and posted on it above.

We'll see what he does and when.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ummm, no... you know... the Steelers still have 9 more games left in their season.  Bell still has time to sign and also exhaust a roster exemption period.  I've calculated it and posted on it above.

We'll see what he does and when.

So what, they don't need him. Conner proves that. Bell stands to make more money if he returns now instead of just before week 11. Both in his tender (even with the exemption), and the maximizing of his FA contract. The longer he waits the less money he will get from both. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

If he doesn’t play, there are ramifications.  First, he doesn’t get an accrued season and thus can be franchise tagged again by the Steelers without a huge increase in the pay.  So he needs to be on the roster 6 games.  Next is he doesn’t have tape to show he ‘still has it’ and worth what he will demand.

Finally, he loses all 14.5 million from the tag (added to all of his preseason fines/losses).

I believe any signing delay is due to contract negotiations for Roster Exempt pay amount, and activation timeline.  From the CBA-

“After the final roster reduction a Club must agree in writing with an unsigned player who is either an Unrestricted Free Agent, Transition Player, or Franchise Player, prior to signing a Player Contract with such player, on what compensation, if any, the player will be paid if he is placed in a roster exempt status."

I believe he can ( and will be ) be placed on roster exempt status (thus can practice but not play, nor is he counted on the 53 man roster) for up to 2 weeks.  I think the Steelers will appeal to the NFL Bell was out too long to be in ‘football’ shape (not necessarily conditioning shape)  and thus the need for the exemption.

From my perspective (which could be wrong). Bell needs to sign on or before 11/9/18 (not perfectly sure yet) and thus will then have to be activated on the 53 man roster by 11/24 for the November 25 game at Denver vs. the Broncos in order to get his 6 games and accrued season.

The next chapter, if Steelers are in playoffs...  will he even play or sit out?  :\

Welp...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000986242/article/steelers-dont-expect-leveon-bell-to-play-in-2018

On 10/31/2018 at 10:17 AM, RollerColt said:

The deadline to sign the tender is November 13th. Looks more and more likely that he continues to hold out.

I think Bell isn't playing in 2018. 

I believe you are going to be right.  I thought he would sign, but that was until someone researched and found a small but vital change in the franchise tag rules implemented in the last 2011 CBA. 

Even without showing up and getting the accrued season, his next franchise tag still entitles him to near QB money (near 25 million) so that won’t work.

Their only choice is to let him go during the off-season (and maybe get a round 3 draft pick?) or take a chance on getting nothing or something big in a trade by Transition tag him, let him get an offer on the open marketing, then decide to let him go (with no compensation) or match it, use him while putting him in up on the trading block in 2019.

One answer will be decided at 4:01 pm ET today.  The other is well down the road.  

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I believe you are going to be right.  I thought he would sign, but that was until someone researched and found a small but vital change in the franchise tag rules implemented in the last 2011 CBA. 

Even without showing up and getting the accrued season, his next franchise tag still entitles him to near QB money (near 25 million) so that won’t work.

Their only choice is to let him go during the off-season (and maybe get a round 3 draft pick?) or take a chance on getting nothing or something big in a trade by Transition tag him, let him get an offer on the open marketing, then decide to let him go (with no compensation) or match it, use him while putting him in up on the trading block in 2019.

One answer will be decided at 4:01 pm ET today.  The other is well down the road.  

There’s still a chance I’m wrong too, like you said, 4:00 is still in the future. 

It will be interesting to say the least how this all turns out.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Bell officially is not playing for the Steelers (or anyone else) this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000987961/article/leveon-bell-does-not-sign-tag-will-miss-2018-season

Will the Steelers use the transition tag next year, or let him walk?  At least that talk is off the table for months now.

my guess is they will use the transition tag. Simply out of spite, plus it'd make it harder for a team to want to talk to him. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

my guess is they will use the transition tag. Simply out of spite, plus it'd make it harder for a team to want to talk to him. 

Those ideas crossed my mind as well, and Steelers get an additional 14.5 million is cap space credit next year because of this as well, so might be able to match an offer, then use him for trade bait.  The downside is someone goes overboard, Steelers decide not to match and lose everything (no comp pick either).

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Those ideas crossed my mind as well, and Steelers get an additional 14.5 million is cap space credit next year because of this as well, so might be able to match an offer, then use him for trade bait.  The downside is someone goes overboard, Steelers decide not to match ad lose everything (no comp pick either).

pretty sure a transition tag, they get to match or get a pick in exchange. not sure

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

pretty sure a transition tag, they get to match or get a pick in exchange. not sure

If they do a transition tag, and don't match another teams offer and let him sign elsewhere, then they get no further compensation.  So there is some risk to go that route.

But there's a chance there will be lawsuits between NFLPA and Steelers/League down the road. IE: does this franchise tag count a s #2 and next is #3, or since he never showed, does it toll to next year as well, etc...

Remember folks, Bell is not a UFA.  Even now, he is still property of Steelers, but without contract.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If they do a transition tag, and don't match another teams offer and let him sign elsewhere, then they get no further compensation.  So there is some risk to go that route.

But there's a chance there will be lawsuits between NFLPA and Steelers/League down the road. IE: does this franchise tag count a s #2 and next is #3, or since he never showed, does it toll to next year as well, etc...

Remember folks, Bell is not a UFA.  Even now, he is still property of Steelers, but without contract.

but they could use the non exclusive tag and net two first rounders if he signs elsewhere. I had to look it up. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No,   I'm not.    He has plenty of money,  and will get millions more next year 

You left out how much he LOST in his infinite wisdom. Only a fool blows his money regardless of how much he has at one time. There ae many penniless people out there that are former millionaires.

33 minutes ago, King Colt said:

You left out how much he LOST in his infinite wisdom. Only a fool blows his money regardless of how much he has at one time. There ae many penniless people out there that are former millionaires.

Or maybe a guy, who thinks his agent already has a lucrative (wink,wink,) deal lined up for next season? I don’t know for sure.  OTOH-

Check it out... Bell is a top flight Chess player.  These types of guys know strategy and see how things could go many moves in advance.  I have no doubt he has cast himself onto his own chess board and altering the direction how things get played.

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

but they could use the non exclusive tag and net two first rounders if he signs elsewhere. I had to look it up. 

I think for this year, 2018, that was true.  And it seems reasonable, but it's not possible now, not for 2019.  It can only be the transition tag (at the exact same rate his exclusive franchise tag was for 2018, $14,544 million (which is 120% of his 2017 exclusive franchise tag #), or an exclusive franchise tag at about $25 million (prohibitive).  Since this is considered to be his 3rd tag, the non-exclusive tag is no longer an option.

Just letting him become a UFA at seasons end may not happen either. The Steelers might not get a comp pick for doing so if they sign enough free agents next year, so they might use transition tag anyway, if nothing else to jack up the cash flow finances of the team signing him while constructing a deal to keep Pittsburgh from matching.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, King Colt said:

We will wait and see how Le'Veon Loser makes out next year. But think now Conner's numbers area reflection of the Steelers OL so where Bell goes he better hope he gets another solid OL or he may take a job with Uber. 

He will make millions.   I doubt he will be driving uber.  He also isn't a loser by taking control of his life.   You're a loser by thinking you know what's best for him.      Stick to worrying about you. 

43 minutes ago, King Colt said:

We will wait and see how Le'Veon Loser makes out next year. But think now Conner's numbers area reflection of the Steelers OL so where Bell goes he better hope he gets another solid OL or he may take a job with Uber. 

Bell isn't worried about Uber positions-

https://www.statmuse.com/questions/282a0b48-a490-4179-8a29-750e0b87f18e