Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My First Season Away - How Do I Watch

crazyrob

Hi everyone,

For the past 12 years, I've been a STH living in Indy.  I now find myself an STH living in Florida, which makes it a bit tougher to both get to games and watch them on TV.

I have a strategy to watch the regular season, but I'm not sure what my options are to watch pre-season games.  Do I have to tap into the Fox broadcast somehow, or are there a streaming option? 

Thanks!

Crazyrob

7 minutes ago, crazyrob said:

Hi everyone,

For the past 12 years, I've been a STH living in Indy.  I now find myself an STH living in Florida, which makes it a bit tougher to both get to games and watch them on TV.

I have a strategy to watch the regular season, but I'm not sure what my options are to watch pre-season games.  Do I have to tap into the Fox broadcast somehow, or are there a streaming option? 

Thanks!

Crazyrob

WXIN (FOX/59 – Indianapolis)
WBKI (CW/58 – Louisville)
WFFT (FOX/55 – Fort Wayne IN)
WBND (ABC/57 – South Bend IN)
WTWO (NBC/2 – Terre Haute IN)
WPBY (ABC/35 – Lafayette IN)
WTVW (CW/7 – Evansville IN)
WCIX (My/49 – Champaign IL)
KFVE (My/9 – Honolulu)

Announcers (WXIN): Matt Taylor (play-by-play), Rick Venturi (color analyst), Caroline Cann (Sideline reporter)

Radio

WFNI – Indianapolis, IN

WLHK – Indianapolis, IN

Bob Lamey and Jim Sorgi have the call. Check local listings for your home station.

Streaming

NFL Gamepass

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crazyrob said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Crazyrob

if you have verizon as a cell provider , you can stream the games for free as a verizon customer.  If you have a smart TV, you can link to to the Verizon NFL mobile app, set your favorite team and you can watch them no matter where they play, even if its not a nationally televised game.

5 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

WXIN (FOX/59 – Indianapolis)
WBKI (CW/58 – Louisville)
WFFT (FOX/55 – Fort Wayne IN)
WBND (ABC/57 – South Bend IN)
WTWO (NBC/2 – Terre Haute IN)
WPBY (ABC/35 – Lafayette IN)
WTVW (CW/7 – Evansville IN)
WCIX (My/49 – Champaign IL)
KFVE (My/9 – Honolulu)

Announcers (WXIN): Matt Taylor (play-by-play), Rick Venturi (color analyst), Caroline Cann (Sideline reporter)

Radio

WFNI – Indianapolis, IN

WLHK – Indianapolis, IN

Bob Lamey and Jim Sorgi have the call. Check local listings for your home station.

Streaming

NFL Gamepass

How/Why is Honolulu part of the Colts TV Network 

NFLN will also have tape delayed broadcast but you are not guaranteed Colts announcers

20 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

How/Why is Honolulu part of the Colts TV Network 

NFLN will also have tape delayed broadcast but you are not guaranteed Colts announcers

I'm sure it has to do with filling a block of time with Fox programming since they are part of the MyNetworkTV, which is an American television network/syndication service that is owned by the Fox Entertainment Group division of 21st Century Fox, operated by its Fox Television Stations division.  This gives them a good 4PM to 7PM Hawaii time-slot for NFL Programming, which I'm sure,  they can't go wrong with.

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

I'm sure it has to do with filling a block of time with Fox programming since they are part of the MyNetworkTV, which is an American television network/syndication service that is owned by the Fox Entertainment Group division of 21st Century Fox, operated by its Fox Television Stations division.

Thanks 

One of the few things Fox still owns

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

if you have verizon as a cell provider , you can stream the games for free as a verizon customer.  If you have a smart TV, you can link to to the Verizon NFL mobile app, set your favorite team and you can watch them no matter where they play, even if its not a nationally televised game.

I have Verizon as my cell provider and can't watch the regular broadcasting. I went in Verizon store here in Batesville and they told us that Verizon didn't sign a new contract with the NFL for this league year. But the Hall of Fame game did play on my NFL app.

11 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

I have Verizon as my cell provider and can't watch the regular broadcasting. I went in Verizon store here in Batesville and they told us that Verizon didn't sign a new contract with the NFL for this league year. But the Hall of Fame game did play on my NFL app.

you were flat lied too. They signed a 5 year extension this past December.   Simply update your app for this season.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2017/12/11/NFL-Verizon.aspx

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000891433/article/nfl-verizon-partner-to-distribute-mobile-access-to-live-games

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So all I need to do is update my app for it to work?

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Does this apply to regular season as well, or solely preseason games?

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Does this apply to regular season as well, or solely preseason games?

regular and playoffs. I also streamed the entire draft through that app. 

Cool part is, if you select your favorite team ,you automatically get that team's broadcast team, so Sorgi and Lamey every game. Or if you're watching one of the others, you can select whichever broadcast team you want, national, home or away.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Cool part is, if you select your favorite team ,you automatically get that team's broadcast team, so Sorgi and Lamey every game. Or if you're watching one of the others, you can select whichever broadcast team you want, national, home or away.  

Even though I'm in Colorado? Because if that's the case, total game changer for me.

3 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Unless they've changed something, you cannot cast from your phone to a smart-tv with the NFL app. They have/had it blocked

The NFL App for Verizon is great!

mine worked as recently as the draft this past spring...

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think you're wrong.  I have the Verizon app and it would let me see the games being broadcast for my viewing area.  Even though I selected the Colts as my team.

I got the Sunday Ticket (for free after threatening to drop DTV) so I never pursued it any further.  But I think if you use a VPN from Indy you may be able to get the Colts games.

Please explain if I'm wrong.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think you're wrong.  I have the Verizon app and it would let me see the games being broadcast for my viewing area.  Even though I selected the Colts as my team.

I got the Sunday Ticket (for free after threatening to drop DTV) so I never pursued it any further.  But I think if you use a VPN from Indy you may be able to get the Colts games.

Please explain if I'm wrong.  Thanks!

dont know.  I just know I sat in Camp Pendleton and could watch the games.  Thats just outside San Diego

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

dont know.  I just know I sat in Camp Pendleton and could watch the games.  Thats just outside San Diego

I believe you, and happy to hear it.  Does your phone have an Indy number? 

My plan was to figure this out this year because I'm tired of DTV.  You'd think the Sunday Ticket would offer a cheaper package so viewers could just follow their team if they didn't want all the games.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I believe you, and happy to hear it.  Does your phone have an Indy number? 

My plan was to figure this out this year because I'm tired of DTV.  You'd think the Sunday Ticket would offer a cheaper package so viewers could just follow their team if they didn't want all the games.

nope

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's interesting.  It's unlikely the Colts were the local broadcast in SoCal.

You'll have to let us know if it works for you this season.  You're doing something right!

mine gave me the option, home or away broadcast.  whichever the colts are, i select.  I'm on an Iphone btw

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

mine gave me the option, home or away broadcast.  whichever the colts are, i select.  I'm on an Iphone btw

I have Verizon and I have had the same Indiana number for years...they would not let me stream the Colts game on my phone. They only stream the games local in my area. Now how do they determine my local area is the where I think the difference is. If your home area (billing/service) is Indy market then you likely get the Colts no matter where you are. I was in Florida over the holidays and still got the Nashville market. It will not let you stream out of market games.

My solution was a friends child is in college so I use their information to get Direct TVs NFL Sunday Ticket GO or stream or whatever for $99...and I streamed all the games. I know the NFL app etc and with other streaming services you can stream almost all the games after they are over.

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have Verizon and I have had the same Indiana number for years...they would not let me stream the Colts game on my phone. They only stream the games local in my area. Now how do they determine my local area is the where I think the difference is. If your home area (billing/service) is Indy market then you likely get the Colts no matter where you are. I was in Florida over the holidays and still got the Nashville market. It will not let you stream out of market games.

My solution was a friends child is in college so I use their information to get Direct TVs NFL Sunday Ticket GO or stream or whatever for $99...and I streamed all the games. I know the NFL app etc and with other streaming services you can stream almost all the games after they are over.

Thats what I used last season

26 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Thats what I used last season

I tried to buy that mobile subscription & DirectTV wouldn't let me. I don't understand why it needs to be SO difficult to watch a football game, I'm happy to pay to be able to watch it on my iPad, & they're just like "nope, your money's no good here."

So I pretty much have to go to the bar, which is lame because just to get the Colts game on a TV, I have to beat all the Broncos fans there, which is next to impossible.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I tried to buy that mobile subscription & DirectTV wouldn't let me. I don't understand why it needs to be SO difficult to watch a football game, I'm happy to pay to be able to watch it on my iPad, & they're just like "nope, your money's no good here."

So I pretty much have to go to the bar, which is lame because just to get the Colts game on a TV, I have to beat all the Broncos fans there, which is next to impossible.

I know it’s because the local advertisers want you to see their commercials.

But you’d think if they offered a ‘one team’ package it would even out with away fans in different markets.  It all comes down to the Benjamins.  

21 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I mean I go buy it online. Are you a student or non?

I am in the same boat... Recently was relocated with the military and now I am trying to find out how to watch the Colts this season... 

Don't have Verizon

Don't have Direct TV

Not eligible for the NFL Sunday Ticket online package due to my location (Didn't really wanna pay $80 a month anyways)...

What is a fan to do!!?? LOL

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I mean I go buy it online. Are you a student or non?

Non-student, live in a HOA controlled condo, & Comcast/HBO is provided as part of my lease agreement. I don't even want the DirecTV dish, I just want to be able to stream the game on my iPad, but my home address doesn't "qualify," whatever that means.

8 hours ago, Archangel said:

The NFL game pass is what I have used the last 2 years here in southern Florida. the app can be downloaded on your smart TV and you can see your preseason and all your games live through out the season.

I bought it last year but was only able to watch preseason live. Regular season only had replays available. Biggest waste of $100 

44 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Non-student, live in a HOA controlled condo, & Comcast/HBO is provided as part of my lease agreement. I don't even want the DirecTV dish, I just want to be able to stream the game on my iPad, but my home address doesn't "qualify," whatever that means.

That may be a bit more of it. For students they know we dont control what we have. I think without a student ID setup they dont treat same way. Do you know any students?

There might be one other option. It's been about 5 years since I last used it but if you have the Firestick thru Amazon(40 dollar USB drive), you can subscribe to CBS, NBC, Fox sports for about 10 bucks each, no contract, you get all the televised game for the market you're in. Now here's the slick part, during set up, you can manually input an IP, simply find a random Indiana area IP(or run a VPN for 3.13 a month).  It's not free, but legal. And authorized by the NFL. So for about 30 bucks a month, you can get the Colts game, expensive yes. But cheaper than any other options. Biggest reason I went away from it was the Verizon nFL app came out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NagelHausForge said:

I am in the same boat... Recently was relocated with the military and now I am trying to find out how to watch the Colts this season... 

Don't have Verizon

Don't have Direct TV

Not eligible for the NFL Sunday Ticket online package due to my location (Didn't really wanna pay $80 a month anyways)...

What is a fan to do!!?? LOL

That stinks.  I guess a sports bar is your best option.  There are some shady websites and other ways, but I’d avoid them.

They really should have something for guys in the service.  

On 8/7/2018 at 1:14 PM, Franklin County said:

Your mistake was walking in to that store... Probably the least knowledgeable people when it comes to support. I’m surprised they didn’t sell you that it only works on the brand new Samsung! Ha!