Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Line

Scott Pennock

There are currently 15 players for what they keep calling an 8 man rotation. Which 7 get cut? Wow.....I can't remember a time when the Colts had this many quality players to choose from. None of them may be superstars (yet) but they are quality players.

DE

Sheard - Lock?

Simon - Seemingly a lock, but maybe as a SAM?

Basham - Lock as a draft pick?

Turay - Lock as a draft pick?

McCain - On the bubble but unique skillset as a true speed rusher

Anthony "Freak" Johnson - bulked up to 325 for the NFL (Dolphins) and is now down to 275 in an effort to make this team. Once timed at 4.80 in the 40 at 300+ hence he got the nickname "Freak". On the bubble.

DE/DT

Autry - Lock as a FA Signee this year?

Lewis - Lock as a draft pick?

DT

Hunt (2nd year of 2 year contract) on the bubble

Ridgeway - On the bubble

Woods (2nd year of 2 year contract) on the bubble

Laulile - On the bubble as an UDFA

Reid - On the bubble (had one really solid year in Detroit)

Stewart - Lock as a draft pick?

Nunez-Roches - On the bubble, but was drafted by Ballard in KC so may have a leg up

Now, if my memory serves me correctly.....most 4-3 teams typically keep 10 defensive lineman. That gives guys like Hunt and McCain (and Simon to a degree) who play special teams a chance to stick as the 9th and 10th man!

So that makes 5 more than likely that will be cut, but again.....which 5? 

This is not counting any potential June 1st salary dumps.....or end of preseason waiver wire pickups!??!

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

There are currently 15 players for what they keep calling an 8 man rotation. Which 7 get cut? Wow.....I can't remember a time when the Colts had this many quality players to choose from. None of them may be superstars (yet) but they are quality players.

DE

Sheard - Lock?

Anthony "Freak" Johnson - bulked up to 325 for the NFL (Dolphins) and is now down to 275 in an effort to make this team. Once timed at 4.80 in the 40 at 300+ hence he got the nickname "Freak". On the bubble.

DE/DT

DT

Ridgeway - On the bubble

Nunez-Roches - On the bubble, but was drafted by Ballard in KC so may have a leg up

Now, if my memory serves me correctly.....most 4-3 teams typically keep 10 defensive lineman. That gives guys like Hunt and McCain (and Simon to a degree) who play special teams a chance to stick as the 9th and 10th man!

This is not counting any potential June 1st salary dumps.....or end of preseason waiver wire pickups!??!

This will really be difficult!!

I do think we need 10 but Simon should be SAM--so will not include him as a cut

the two I want to keep the most will be a surprise so here we go: Steward and Woods remember how our 4/3 would get run over in years pass? one of these two should be in the game at all time (except for 3rd and long) and with playing teams like the Jags maybe they could be in there at the same time.

Nunez-Roches will stick at DT along with Ridgeway--so 4 DT's (with de's that can move inside on passing downs)

DE's: Sheard---Basham---Turay---McCain--(Autry and Lewis) who can play both inside and out.

DT's: Steward--Woods--Nunez-Roches ---Ridgeway

cuts would be Hunt (although I like him)--- Laulila (practice squade)--Reid---Anthony Johnson

(if Simon is a LB he could also be in the mix for DE if there are any injuries

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think we keep 9

Sheard

Autry

Woods

Basham

Simon

Roches

Lewis

Turay 

Mccain

Woods and Roches as the only true DTs with size on the roster? I don't like that at all. The priority seems ot have shifted more to speed/athleticism but that group would just get gashed in the run game.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Finball said:

Woods and Roches as the only true DTs with size on the roster? I don't like that at all. The priority seems ot have shifted more to speed/athleticism but that group would just get gashed in the run game.

I think the plan for that is to wait for the draft and utilize the hybrid players like Autry and Lewis untill then.

Eberflus is looking for athletic, "speed players that can affect the pass", first and foremost at all positions. He will run 4 down linemen in over and under fronts. Back in 2013, Eberflus was with Marinelli when they converted the Cowboys D from 3-4 to 4-3. He's been there. Some OLB's were converted to DE, others earned a LB spot.  But those that stick will be an athletic speed guy, most certainly. The scheme requires it.

This will not be the (what was supposed to be) aggressive attacking monster D Pagano was supposed to have assembled. This will be a read and react, physical, run and hit Defense.  The system is new, but for those certain guys, will be fairly easy to learn making it easy for them to just play rather than think.  All players will get a look in mini and training camps.  That's when we will know who learned the system and fly around out there making plays.  Marinelli has a way to make the total greater then the sum of the parts, especially in the early years of a D change. Eberflus was integral and I expect the same results.

So I really can't guess right now. I would want to look at each players updated bio (size, metrics, etc) and research skill sets and see who has the makeup to fit the new scheme.  I'll pass on guessing for now and watch others research it and formulate the prospective starters and backups.

9 hours ago, Savage said:

Grover Stewart is still on this team?

Well, considering he was drafted last year out of a small school as a project, I doubt they would get rid of him before his second training camp.   Unless he was making zero progress during practice. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So our new 4-3 defense will be similar to our Polian/Dungy defense that was vulnerable/weak vs the run minus the playmakers of Freeney, Mathis and Sanders?

Could be a long season defensively speaking.

Nope. All of Dodds, Hogan and Ballard always kept DT's that played the run (aka Woods, Stewart, Ridgeway) so we won't be getting pushed around like before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finball said:

The 1 Tech and 3 Tech are one gap penetrating DT's in the scheme.  Not the two gap lane blockade of the prior scheme. They slip their block and penetrate and fill their gaps.  They don't have to be small. A big guy can play the 1 tech nose.  Just do what is called for. But the 3 tech has to be athletic.  The SAM has a gap to fill when he reads run from his keys.  The Mike, needs to be instinctual and stop his drop and come up in his assigned gap on a run.  The WILL should then flow to ball carrier and either drop him, or hold him up and the whole team flies in to help. 

That is the theory.  If it fails because the other team is more talented and/or performing better fundamentally, we just bear it and try to get better (as a player or better players).  If it is a technique issue, that's on the coaches and they need to address it.  But in these CBA rule days, that is hard to accomplish mid season.  It needs to be accomplished now, before the start of the season. There will be a lot of people getting looks before decisions are made.  The team can keep all 90 on the roster until the end of the 4th pre season game, and then cut 37 of them.  That also makes around 1,100 or so players immediately available to make final roster tweaks.  I imagine every Colts scout (college and pro division) are scouring every other team for guys that might fit our system, but likely to get cut form other teams.  So a player that barely survives the cut day and makes it on the 53, might not be there long if a better player from another team is cut. This will be an interesting pre-season, including the Luck watch as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So our new 4-3 defense will be similar to our Polian/Dungy defense that was vulnerable/weak vs the run minus the playmakers of Freeney, Mathis and Sanders?

I believe Colts were 26th vs. run last year, and Dallas was 8th. :lecture:

We were also 28th vs. pass, and 30th in points given up.  It would be hard to get worse.  Let the guys play, and we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I believe Colts were 26th vs. run last year, and Dallas was 8th. :lecture:

We were also 28th vs. pass, and 30th in points given up.  It would be hard to get worse.  Let the guys play, and we'll see.

Let's not let facts spoil fans pessimism. 

5 hours ago, Finball said:

3 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I understand that it is going to be very difficult. But i don't see Ridgeway not making the roster. 

Im basing this on what is currently going on with the rotation in OTAs. Right now, Stewart and ridgeway are the last players getting reps on the dline. That is not a good thing. Even guys like Anthony johnson and Laulile have gotten more reps

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Im basing this on what is currently going on with the rotation in OTAs. Right now, Stewart and ridgeway are the last players getting reps on the dline. That is not a good thing. Even guys like Anthony johnson and Laulile have gotten more reps

Not to say that you're wrong, because I don't know....

But how do we know that Stewart and Ridgeway are getting the fewest reps?

Local media?    I haven't seen this....

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not to say that you're wrong, because I don't know....

But how do we know that Stewart and Ridgeway are getting the fewest reps?

Local media?    I haven't seen this....

Just the notes I see posted and the photos on the website. It just doesn't seem like stewart and ridgeway are standing out

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Just the notes I see posted and the photos on the website. It just doesn't seem like stewart and ridgeway are standing out

Johnson and Laulile fit that first step thru the gap mold at the UT position considering they ran 4.77 to 4.80 40's as 300 pounders.

Ridgeway and Stewart are more DT in this grouping and yes, they could be behind Woods and Nunez-Roches (both Veterans) at this point.

New system, nobody knows how old roster or newbies will do in this system until camp/preseason.  Stewart does not fit the typical TAMPA 2 DT and so far in brief career has not shown ability to get in backfield and be disruptive but not sure really given the chance.  Come camp, he will have every bit to claim his spot on this roster.  

7 hours ago, NDcolt said:

New system, nobody knows how old roster or newbies will do in this system until camp/preseason.  Stewart does not fit the typical TAMPA 2 DT and so far in brief career has not shown ability to get in backfield and be disruptive but not sure really given the chance.  Come camp, he will have every bit to claim his spot on this roster.  

Stewart and Woods fall into the same category as Hankins, except for the financial part.  I think they have to keep one on the roster.  I know they're preaching faster, lighter, disruptive, etc., so they don't fit the new scheme. 

But you also have to stop a team when it's 3rd/4th and 1.  And we're facing three huge RBs in our division opponents.

Stewart is about the same size, if not bigger, than Woods and he's a lot cheaper.  I'm guessing he stays and Woods gets cut.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:59 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well this 4-3 defense will also be similar to the scheme that Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli ran in Chicago...that defense took them to a SB.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Well this 4-3 defense will also be similar to the scheme that Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli ran in Chicago...that defense took them to a SB.  

Exactly, with updated tweaks to address the modern game.

Reminds me of a saying my wife says to me at times...

"Same exact thing... only different." :)

i hate to be a realist but there's a lot of mediocrity in this area with no pass rushers. I don't mean 6-8 sacks per year guy, I mean a real difference maker. We may stop the run, hopefully continuing to improve in that area, but the name of the game in today's NFL is putting pressure on the QB. Still hopeful someone steps up though.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:21 PM, Scott Pennock said:

DE

Sheard - Lock?

DE/DT

DT

Ridgeway - On the bubble

It’s nice to have this kind of dilemma, as opposed to not having any talent to choose from.  Besides, there’s always the practice squad.  You know they will put a few of these guys there.