Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whom Will Luck Throw To? With Mathis Tagged, By Paul Kuharsky

bayone

Talk about Rebuilding

With Mathis tagged, whom will Luck throw to?

March, 5, 2012

Mar 5

By Paul Kuharsky

Andrew Luck's expected to be the Colts’ opening day starting quarterback.

Who’s he throwing to?

Barring a deal for one in the next eight days, Garcon and Wayne are going to become free agents and flee. Garcon has passed on one offer, the specifics of which we don't know. Last we heard from Wayne, he'd not heard from the team and took that as meaning they were moving on. The far less-proven Anthony Gonzalez is also unsigned.

The Colts, for right now, have two receivers with experience under contract:

Luck should have tight end Dallas Clark as well. But the Colts second pass-catching tight end, Jacob Tamme, is also heading for unrestricted free agency.

So, while the Colts may be set at quarterback with Luck as the No. 1 pick if they part with Manning this week,

they’ve got a load of work to do at receiver as well as on the offensive line and at running back.

And that’s just on offense.

http://espn.go.com/b...yESPNToday_Team

Talk about Rebuilding

March, 5, 2012

Mar 5

By Paul Kuharsky

Who’s he throwing to?

Barring a deal for one in the next eight days, Garcon and Wayne are going to become free agents and flee. Garcon has passed on one offer, the specifics of which we don't know. Last we heard from Wayne, he'd not heard from the team and took that as meaning they were moving on. The far less-proven Anthony Gonzalez is also unsigned.

Luck should have tight end Dallas Clark as well. But the Colts second pass-catching tight end, Jacob Tamme, is also heading for unrestricted free agency.

So, while the Colts may be set at quarterback with Luck as the No. 1 pick if they part with Manning this week,

they’ve got a load of work to do at receiver as well as on the offensive line and at running back.

Tamme wont be hard to sign. Where's he going?

I think Garcon will come to his senses, too...

I'm not sure Blair White is a 'product of Manning'

as they say, lets hope for the best but prepare for the worst,

Does that statement even apply here,

Man i am getting confused, to many threads , to many merges, to much on my crazy brain

Blair White might surprise people, Collie will have better production with a good QB throwing the ball, and I think Gonzo still has ability, he was just in the 'doghouse' last year for whatever reason. The oline is basically set as long as Pollak gets resigned. RB is not at all a position of need. Just bring in 1 draft pick at WR, and the legendary Taj Smith needs to make another preseason appearance....see what Luck can do with him.

Mathis' tag'll come off soon. I hope Garcon finds that there are quite a few other "proven" WRs out there that command more attention than he does and that as a result, he wakes up and smells the coffee (although I have a sneeking suspicion that the Patriots* would love to pick him off).

*http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500290_162-3260092.html

Yeah it isnice we got Mathis locked up to keep one of our few playmakers on defense, but it does create the who in the world is Luck going to throw to.

Gonzo is unsigned, but we cannot rely on him to be a bigger part of the offense. The guy is always hurt and has done nothing since his second year.

Collie is great in the slot, but is he going to be able to be a number one target going up against guys like Revis?

White is a solid WR to have as your 4th or 5th WR, but anything more then that and you are pushing it.

Tamme and Clark would be good, but we saw Clark no show last season without Manning.

If we cannot sign Wayne or Garcon we will have to draft a rookie WR and most rookie WRs do not make much of an impact their first year in.

I still wish we could bring Wayne back for two or three years while drafting a rookie to learn behind him.

when Blair white caught his first TD from Manning; all of us were like where did he come from? then the anouncer stated that Peyton and he had practiced for hours during the off season and caught thousands of balls from peyton. (I don't have that link, but look it up if u have time)

We've seen what Luck can do with gifted tight ends. I think that Luck will have an easy time throwing to Clark, and Tamme. While at Stanford, Luck had a speed receiver in Chris Owusu. They connected a lot during Luck's sophomore season, before Owusu had so many concussions. I think that if Garcon stays, Luck would see some similarities. I especially like that Luck was able to adapt to his personell and this past year was able to utilize his slot receiver, Whalen, who has a playing style very similar to Austin Collie's.

This is assuming Manning doesnt come back.

Well, at least Austin Collie and Blair White. Most likely Garcon or Wayne (maybe both). He will have Clark or Tamme too. Addai is a good receiving running back. The Colts could easily bring in a WR from the draft or sign one in FA.

He'll have some good players to throw to if Manning doesnt come back.

when Blair white caught his first TD from Manning; all of us were like where did he come from? then the anouncer stated that Peyton and he had practiced for hours during the off season and caught thousands of balls from peyton. (I don't have that link, but look it up if u have time)

But he played at Michigan State, right.

He's not jeremy Lin

I'd like to see a high pick (either this year or next year) spent to fix this exact problem. Depending on who it is, I wouldn't mind looking at the FA market if we think we have the money to do so.

Bottom line is we have quite a few holes on our roster right now, and won't be able to address them all in one offseason. However, the sooner we get young targets in here, the sooner they can develop some chemistry with Luck.

We should all keep in mind that Brady won 3 superbowls with basically nobody at WR, so you can be successful without big name targets like we've been used to over Manning's career, it just depends on how strong the rest of the team around him is.

Hopefully our running game picks up which will take quite a bit of pressure off the young fella (and the defense as well)

Something tells me that the Colts will look hard at Lee Evans. I know, I know he had a very disappointing season last year and dropped the pass that wouldve sent the Pats packing. However.. In the pre-season and before he got injured he was impressive with Flacco and we all know Flacco stinkos. Also Pagano knows at least one year with Evans so you never know. And I know this is long shot too but I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts gave their 34th (second round) for Desean Jackson. I have heard in slim circles that it would take a 1st or early second to get Desean away from philly. I think Philly would do it as they already have Macklin, Avant and Riley Cooper did well last year. Just my take...

The only thing this tells is that the Colts team is depleted at talents. The overall talent level has hit a historical low in probably over a decade. If they get rid of Manning they will need another 2-3 bad years to draft high and get the talent. If they keep Manning they most likely will only be a marginal playoff team and then need more years to get the talents after he retires.

Bad drafts in the past 5 yrs have hurt a lot.

Right now I don't see Wayne being a Colt next season... Unfortunately it looks to me as though he has been crossed off the priority list. He will go, find his big payday and fade away as some teams #2 receiver.

I can see Garcon testing FA and then coming back to the Colts to accept their offer. I doubt anyone picks him up for more than the Colts offered him. He is young and has great physical attributes, just needs to work on that concentration... maybe spend more time catching balls than hanging out in Haiti.

I don't see why so many people underestimate Collie. The guy is a great route runner, has excellent hands and stayed healthy all season. He isn't the physical specimine that Garcon is but he is a great receiver and I feel will turn out to be the Colts Wes Welker type receiver.

Not sure what was up with White being MIA this season. Sounds like he has some injury issues. He impressed the heck outta me last year and I think with a little more practive time he will turn out to be a very good #3 receiver.

Gonzo...gonzo...gonzo... I think the Colts sign him to a low ball deal just to see if he can make it on the field. I liked the guy his first 2 seasons but after that injuries killed him and it seemed he was fighting an uphill battle with the Polians. Hopefully he will be given another chance to make an impact.

After all that I def see the Colts using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR if there are any good ones left. I doubt they dip into FA. Especially if Luck is our starter.

Time will tell. Should be interested to watch how it all plays out. I will def. be going up to training camp!!

Talk about Rebuilding

March, 5, 2012

Mar 5

By Paul Kuharsky

Who’s he throwing to?

OK, another reason to keep Manning as if their already weren't enough. Don't get me wrong, I'll back the new quarterback 100% but I can't see how it would benefit the Colts to cut him and not resign, and don't start the money argument again please.

Blair White might surprise people, Collie will have better production with a good QB throwing the ball, and I think Gonzo still has ability, he was just in the 'doghouse' last year for whatever reason. The oline is basically set as long as Pollak gets resigned. RB is not at all a position of need. Just bring in 1 draft pick at WR, and the legendary Taj Smith needs to make another preseason appearance....see what Luck can do with him.

I think someone has convinced Garcon that he his elite and that is too bad for him. In my opinion no.1;s don' drop every 4th pass thrown in their hands. I think he is good but I could at least 20 we would all rather have if given a choice. There are some real good ones in the draft.