Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The RBs I wanted are all gone...

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It appears we will either pass on a RB this draft, or take one on Day 3...

Tomorrow...    I'm expecting a CB and a WR and maybe a late RB...

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out...

Just not a high priority this draft.  Keep in mind any NFL running back can run through open holes.  I'm also a big fan of Mack.  We'll sigh plenty of UFA's as well.  I wouldn't sweat it.  I do think we need a CB

27 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Just not a high priority this draft.  Keep in mind any NFL running back can run through open holes.  I'm also a big fan of Mack.  We'll sigh plenty of UFA's as well.  I wouldn't sweat it.  I do think we need a CB

Personally...   I thought it was a very important priority...     we've just had back to back historically good classes of RBs and we're only going to come away with Marlon Mack?     Very disappointing.

I love Mack.   But I see him as a great number two, but not a number one.   

I appreciate that we could never fix all our problems with one draft...  but I thought we'd address this problem in this draft...

Oh well...   very curious about tomorrow...

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

I'd like us to target Big Bo Scarborough. With three road graders in front of him I think he could do some damage. 

I was just going to post this as a question. I didn't think much about him for the Colts before but drafting Nelson and Smith changes that.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally...   I thought it was a very important priority...     we've just had back to back historically good classes of RBs and we're only going to come away with Marlon Mack?     Very disappointing.

I love Mack.   But I see him as a great number two, but not a number one.   

I appreciate that we could never fix all our problems with one draft...  but I thought we'd address this problem in this draft...

Oh well...   very curious about tomorrow...

I've been thinking a lot about the value of a RB to a rebuilding team and the more I think about it, the more I feel like this is a good plan and strategy - RBs have some of the shortest careers in the NFL and spending high picks on those doesn't seem like good strategy for a team that's not ready to win. The more I think about it the more I feel like high end RB is one of the last pieces you add when you are ready to contend rather than one of the first when you are still building the skeleton of your roster. It's just of very little use to waste a premier RBs best years(the first several years of his career) on a team that's not ready to win. IMO you are much better served to instead use that resource in building your team. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've been thinking a lot about the value of a RB to a rebuilding team and the more I think about it, the more I feel like this is a good plan and strategy - RBs have some of the shortest careers in the NFL and spending high picks on those doesn't seem like good strategy for a team that's not ready to win. The more I think about it the more I feel like high end RB is one of the last pieces you add when you are ready to contend rather than one of the first when you are still building the skeleton of your roster. It's just of very little use to waste a premier RBs best years(the first several years of his career) on a team that's not ready to win. IMO you are much better served to instead use that resource in building your team. 

CJ Anderson!    Come on down!

5'8" and 225...   a little bowling ball in his first full year as the starting RB...   averaged 4.1 per...   All in all, he's got low miles,  so he feels like a natural fit.

You're probably right...   we can find a better back in 2-3 years when the rest of the team is built...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

CJ Anderson!    Come on down!

5'8" and 225...   a little bowling ball in his first full year as the starting RB...   averaged 4.1 per...   All in all, he's got low miles,  so he feels like a natural fit.

You're probably right...   we can find a better back in 2-3 years when the rest of the team is built...

Yeah. I agree Anderson might be good addition. I didn't mean in my previous post that you don't need a RB at all - you still need functional RB in order to make the offense work and in order for the rest of the team to keep developing(the O-line, receivers, QB if you have a developmental one, etc.), but you don't need to spend premier asset on it. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a RB with day 3 pick... IMO that's where the value becomes about right if you like a player of that sort and you don't expect the guy to be 6-7-8 year starter. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah. I agree Anderson might be good addition. I didn't mean in my previous post that you don't need a RB at all - you still need functional RB in order to make the offense work and in order for the rest of the team to keep developing(the O-line, receivers, QB if you have a developmental one, etc.), but you don't need to spend premier asset on it. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a RB with day 3 pick... IMO that's where the value becomes about right if you like a player of that sort and you don't expect the guy to be 6-7-8 year starter. 

Anderson has multiple suitors. I'm not sure what his interest level will be but I'm sure its gone up after seeing what we've done with our OL. Will be a much better unit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Kalen Ballage here we come! Ballage was a very late visit. Last year Hooker was a very late visit. IMO there is a chance we draft him tomorrow. 

Id be cool with that. Although im hoping cornerback. JC Jackson, Tremon Smith, Parry Nickerson, Dane Crushank, Greg Stroman, Holton Hill or somebody else im missing. All those lower round CB you saw us scouting this is why. He knew CB would be selected late.

1 minute ago, polk_high_allstar said:

I like a Kelly and Mack 1-2 punch. Kelly runs with so much anger and some of the stiff arms I've seen him give are the best in the business. 

I could see John Kelly too. Hes like an angry Kamara. Good hands too.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Id be cool with that. Although im hoping cornerback. JC Jackson, Tremon Smith, Parry Nickerson, Dane Crushank, Greg Stroman, Holton Hill or somebody else im missing. All those lower round CB you saw us scouting this is why. He knew CB would be selected late.

Add Davonte Harris and Nick Nelson.  Plenty of #3 or 4 zone CBs left. 

I like Cruishank because he's bigger and could play S if the injuries to Geathers or Hooker linger.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It appears we will either pass on a RB this draft, or take one on Day 3...

Tomorrow...    I'm expecting a CB and a WR and maybe a late RB...

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out...

I am also a bit suprised ...... 

I bet that for this year, we bring in a vet rotational RB.

maybe NEXT year on a 2nd /3rd round RB talent

There are a couple of CBs still available that MIGHT fit our defense

Of course I still like Mo Hurst with 4th

58 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hines is available, who I think of as a Julian Edleman role.  From either the WR position or RB position, we need a guy who can get YAC after a short pass.

Josh Adams for a more traditional RB.

I like Hines. Good fit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Hines is available, who I think of as a Julian Edleman role.  From either the WR position or RB position, we need a guy who can get YAC after a short pass.

Josh Adams for a more traditional RB.

I like Ballage more than Adams but I can see why you mentioned Adams